This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
    What? US citizens don't have to show proof of identity with an official govt-issued ID (Drivers license, health insurance card (oh snap wait you don't get this one xD) or else?)??
    No, in many areas, no positive ID (photo) is required. In some, all you have to do is show up, claim to be a resident of the district and you vote.

And many people on the left consider requiring such as "restricting the right to vote". They claim discrimination or some such BS. How can it be discrimination if everyone is required to show photo ID to vote? Everyone is treated the same. It's not as if they're trying to require only certain folks show photo ID, it should be required for all.

Comment

I don't think that's what GF meant but regardless it's ridiculous.

Guess I get to vote Bernie in 2020
      Spoiler:
      I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

I don't think that's what GF meant but regardless it's ridiculous.

Guess I get to vote Bernie in 2020
        I can't speak for other districts, but here, they'd smell the Canadian bacon or beer on your breath...
        Seriously, you must be registered and they'd have that on file in this district. If you're not registered, you don't vote.

But there still is no positive ID verification.

The requirements vary from area to area, since it is under local or state control.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
          No, in many areas, no positive ID (photo) is required. In some, all you have to do is show up, claim to be a resident of the district and you vote.

And many people on the left consider requiring such as "restricting the right to vote". They claim discrimination or some such BS. How can it be discrimination if everyone is required to show photo ID to vote? Everyone is treated the same. It's not as if they're trying to require only certain folks show photo ID, it should be required for all.
          Annoyed.
          It the PROCESS of getting that ID that people find restrictive, and that process is denied to people who look different from you or me.
          It's the blocks put BEFORE having that card or ID, not the notion of needing one that "the left" is upset about.
          If you are white, it's a breeze, but if you are not, it's a pain.
          So, the differential factor is not being human, or male, or female, or having the paperwork, it's based on skin colour.
          Your idea of showing ID is not bad, its the hoops you put people thru that is.
          Do you understand that?
          sigpic
          ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
          A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
          The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
            Annoyed.
            It the PROCESS of getting that ID that people find restrictive, and that process is denied to people who look different from you or me.
            It's the blocks put BEFORE having that card or ID, not the notion of needing one that "the left" is upset about.
            If you are white, it's a breeze, but if you are not, it's a pain.
            So, the differential factor is not being human, or male, or female, or having the paperwork, it's based on skin colour.
            Your idea of showing ID is not bad, its the hoops you put people thru that is.
            Do you understand that?
            I had to jump through the same hoops. In order to get ID in the form of a driver's license, I had to provide SS number, birth certificate & so forth. The same documents everyone is asked for. How is that discriminatory?

Comment

I don't see what's the big deal with that? Is it because birth certificate is unobtainable or absent (guess that's the race part) for some folks?
              Spoiler:
              I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

I had to jump through the same hoops. In order to get ID in the form of a driver's license, I had to provide SS number, birth certificate & so forth. The same documents everyone is asked for. How is that discriminatory?
                Because for you and me, it's made easy.
                For "them" it is made hard.

Your birth certificate needs more supporting evidence, show me it's legit.

Your photo ID needs more support, show me you are "you"

Prove you are you, or I will take your rights away.
                sigpic

Comment

Why? Assuming by them you mean not natural born citizens well it's to be expected that the process is lengthy and complex. Official documents dude, it's not like signing up on Hotmail.

I briefly consulted the FAQ and there seems to be a clear walkthrough.

Which is a good thing, idk man to me this is totally a casual aspect of voting and I have never heard of immigrants stuck in bureaucratic loopholes forever.

Again I know that Canada and Australia public service are among the top5 of the world or something. Is it really that bad in the US?
                  Spoiler:

Comment

*I* don't have a problem with it because I've taken care of it for decades. If you move, you have to notify the DMV, and the board of elections. I moved around quite a bit in my younger days, and it was a p.i.t.a. but I knew i had to do it.

Don't even try to hand me "discrimination" on this; the requirements are the same for everyone.

Unless, of course, you're idea of equality is waiving the requirements for some people.

Comment

Why? Assuming by them you mean not natural born citizens well it's to be expected that the process is lengthy and complex. Official documents dude, it's not like signing up on Hotmail.

I briefly consulted the FAQ and there seems to be a clear walkthrough.

Which is a good thing, idk man to me this is totally a casual aspect of voting and I have never heard of immigrants stuck in bureaucratic loopholes forever.

Again I know that Canada and Australia public service are among the top5 of the world or something. Is it really that bad in the US?
                      Well, there's one other assumption you might be forgetting. You have to be a legal citizen in order to vote. Maybe that's why it might be difficult for non-citizens?

Comment

Well, there's one other assumption you might be forgetting. You have to be a legal citizen in order to vote. Maybe that's why it might be difficult for non-citizens?
                        Lol here 5 years ago you had to notify like 10 agencies on both the federal and provincial level. Elections, hc, ss, drivers l, medicare, employment security/welfare, etc. Everytime you move, by mail or in person. Then they merged it into two systems and even now it's still a pita, I moved 3 times the past 2 years.

If it's too hard or you're too lazy to do it I don't give a shnizel you don't get to vote. You snooze you lose.
                        Spoiler:

Comment

Lol here 5 years ago you had to notify like 10 agencies on both the federal and provincial level. Elections, hc, ss, drivers l, medicare, employment security/welfare, etc. Everytime you move, by mail or in person. Then they merged it into two systems and even now it's still a pita, I moved 3 times the past 2 years.
                          that's the spirit

Comment

You should check out my new terrarium, it's dope
                            Spoiler:

Comment

*I* don't have a problem with it because I've taken care of it for decades. If you move, you have to notify the DMV, and the board of elections. I moved around quite a bit in my younger days, and it was a p.i.t.a. but I knew i had to do it.

Don't even try to hand me "discrimination" on this; the requirements are the same for everyone.

Unless, of course, you're idea of equality is waiving the requirements for some people.
                              You, Me, Chaka et al can just do this.
                              THAT is my point Annoyed.
                              I never had anyone asking if my birth certificate was valid or real, I never had anyone question my drivers licence, or my mail to prove where I live.
                              It's not the same if you don't look like us.
                              That's the problem, and it only exists because of...…………..
                              Take a guess.
                              sigpic

Comment

You, Me, Chaka et al can just do this.
                                THAT is my point Annoyed.
                                I never had anyone asking if my birth certificate was valid or real, I never had anyone question my drivers licence, or my mail to prove where I live.
                                It's not the same if you don't look like us.
                                That's the problem, and it only exists because of...…………..
                                Take a guess.
                                And why can't others do this as well? I've had to show utility bills to verify address. I've had to show my SS card too. As well as photo driver's lic. and other documents. Why was I asked to show these things?

Aside from rare situations like the one where one of the southern states closed the DMV offices in minority areas, which is wrong, this isn't a racial issue, and discrimination isn't the cause. As Chaka said, if people can't be bothered to keep their credentials up to date, that's on them.

Or, as I asked earlier, is your real intent to waive requirements for anyone who can't produce the required documentation?

Sorry, no sale. I've got to show ID to buy beer at a supermarket. Requiring positive ID to vote ought to be a no brainer.

Comment

Working...
                                X