Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clearly, geography isn't his long suit. That's quite insulting, IMHO.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
      I don't think we have the authority to confer citizenship to another country on a person. All we can do is scrap the anchor baby law so that simple birth on our soil doesn't confer US citizenship. Maybe tie it in to the citizenship of the parents; if the parents are US citizens, then the kid is too. If not, then he's not. And it would be up to the country the parents are citizens of to confer citizenship on the kid.
      what I meant was that the law would be modified so that the child has dual citizenship....the US one and the citizenship of his birth parents....for example if illegal aliens from, say China give birth to a baby on our soil the child would have both US citizenship by fact of birth on US soil and Chinese citizenship by fact of birth to parents who are citizens of China

but yes an argument could be made that the "anchor baby" law has long outlived its usefulness as well and should be scrapped altogether

Comment

Haven't you noticed? We lost that battle a long time ago. The feds can always find some justification to usurp local authority if they want to.
        Very true. Which is why the hopeful, Convention of states that cleared the first hurdle, can re-dress that balance.

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
        then modify the so-called "anchor baby" law so that the child has the US citizenship given by fact of birth on US soil but also the natural citizenship of the country of origin by fact of his relation by blood to his parents...in effect a dual citizen.....purusant to this modification of the "anchor baby" law....if illegal aliens who've birthed children on our soil are caught....if their child is still a minor they must take the child with them...however if their child is an adult by the time they are caught out he can be given the choice to stay if he so chooses or go back with his parents
        OR as i keep saying, remove that whole "Birthright citizenship" aspect. IF YOU ARE born here to NON US Parents, you are NOT a US citizen, just cause you were born on US soil. YOU NEED at least one parent to BE a US citizen (whether by their own birth or via naturalization) for it to count.

Heck, if DOZENS of other 'western first world nations' can do it, why can't we?

Comment

Originally posted by EvilSpaceAlien View Post
          I would like to take this opportunity to announce that I unfortunately perished in the horrific terrorist attack in Sweden on Friday. I hope you will mourn me in the same manner as you mourn the victims of the Bowling Green and Atlanta attacks.
          The Guardian - Trump cites non-existent terror-attack

Ugh... there's four years left of this BS.
          I just read about that ESA, I shall have a drink in honor of your memory...........
          sigpic
          ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
          A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
          The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
            I just read about that ESA, I shall have a drink in honor of your memory...........
            I?

*walks away with empty beer mugs*
            Originally posted by aretood2
            Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
              then modify the so-called "anchor baby" law so that the child has the US citizenship given by fact of birth on US soil but also the natural citizenship of the country of origin by fact of his relation by blood to his parents...in effect a dual citizen.....purusant to this modification of the "anchor baby" law....if illegal aliens who've birthed children on our soil are caught....if their child is still a minor they must take the child with them...however if their child is an adult by the time they are caught out he can be given the choice to stay if he so chooses or go back with his parents
              I don't think we have the authority to confer citizenship to another country on a person. All we can do is scrap the anchor baby law so that simple birth on our soil doesn't confer US citizenship. Maybe tie it in to the citizenship of the parents; if the parents are US citizens, then the kid is too. If not, then he's not. And it would be up to the country the parents are citizens of to confer citizenship on the kid.
              Originally posted by garhkal View Post

OR as i keep saying, remove that whole "Birthright citizenship" aspect. IF YOU ARE born here to NON US Parents, you are NOT a US citizen, just cause you were born on US soil. YOU NEED at least one parent to BE a US citizen (whether by their own birth or via naturalization) for it to count.

Heck, if DOZENS of other 'western first world nations' can do it, why can't we?
              You 3 all realise that the "Anchor baby law" is a function of the constitution, right?
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                I?

*walks away with empty beer mugs*
                You are turning into PH.
                sigpic

Comment

Jelgate can help

*ties GF to operating table*
                  Jelgate is right

Comment

*shoots acid at PHgate from his mutant acid glands*
                    sigpic

Comment

I'm JelTood

*flies everyone to Argentina
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

I shall toast you from the afterlife. Which is surprisingly dull, and kind of reminiscent of a cruise for pensioners......
                        sigpic

Comment

*redirects Jel to T.A.H.I.T.I.*
                          sigpic

Comment

You 3 all realise that the "Anchor baby law" is a function of the constitution, right?
                            Of course. But if there is enough support for amending it, the Constitution can be changed.
                            Just as it can be changed if enough people decide they don't want to have the Electoral College anymore.

Oh, btw, wasn't it you who wanted to change the threshold for a Constitutional amendment to simple majority, rather than the supermajority required today?

Comment

Of course. But if there is enough support for amending it, the Constitution can be changed.
                              Just as it can be changed if enough people decide they don't want to have the Electoral College anymore.
                              Yes.
                              Oh, btw, wasn't it you who wanted to change the threshold for a Constitutional amendment to simple majority, rather than the supermajority required today?
                              In a nationwide referendum, and with a 5-10% margin, yes.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by EvilSpaceAlien View Post
                                I shall toast you from the afterlife. Which is surprisingly dull, and kind of reminiscent of a cruise for pensioners......
                                Did you get redirected to Sheol?
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X