This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pharaoh Hamenthotep View Post
    Urban is code for black... As in urban youth, urban thugs...
    Not in this sense PH, Urban actually means Urban.
    But after skimming the article.. Trump compared Carson to a child molester.. And Carson says he's not qualified for the job...
    So, an unqualified child molester?
    sigpic
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
      So is this:

Ben Carson for Dept of housing and Urban Policy
      http://www.theage.com.au/world/donal...05-gt4m1g.html
      Yes, his first project will be to build pyramids to hold America's grain.
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Then he will hire cats to keep da moggies away?
        sigpic

Comment

In what way?
          You might get cheaper workers, but you won't get educated ones.
          Data centers' main problem isn't workforce; pay people enough and they will move to wherever you need them. With modern tech you can run lights-out data centers where humans only occasionally visit for maintenance.

The main problem - and expense - is cooling. Those servers generate a whole lot of heat, and the main cost of running a data center is the energy bill for cooling. Data centers in cold places can use outside air for cooling during the winter, saving millions of dollars in energy bills, but data centers in places like California or New Mexico need to run those industrial ACs all year round.
          If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Originally posted by Womble View Post
            In what way?
            You might get cheaper workers, but you won't get educated ones.
            Data centers' main problem isn't workforce; pay people enough and they will move to wherever you need them. With modern tech you can run lights-out data centers where humans only occasionally visit for maintenance.

The main problem - and expense - is cooling. Those servers generate a whole lot of heat, and the main cost of running a data center is the energy bill for cooling. Data centers in cold places can use outside air for cooling during the winter, saving millions of dollars in energy bills, but data centers in places like California or New Mexico need to run those industrial ACs all year round.
            Exactly this.. Down in CA, the temps are always high (and worse you get that smog and smoke from all the forest fire issues).. Up in Alaska you wouldn't have to worry about the heat 24/7/365, nor the smog/smoke..

Comment

Boeing value down by one billion dollars after Twitter troll attack

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                Exactly this.. Down in CA, the temps are always high (and worse you get that smog and smoke from all the forest fire issues).. Up in Alaska you wouldn't have to worry about the heat 24/7/365, nor the smog/smoke..
                I imagine, though, that freezing temps aren't exactly great for data-centers either so that would have to be regulated. Although, I also imagine, regulating cold to be less cold would probably still be much cheaper than making hot cold.
                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                  I imagine, though, that freezing temps aren't exactly great for data-centers either so that would have to be regulated. Although, I also imagine, regulating cold to be less cold would probably still be much cheaper than making hot cold.
                  Considering that the data servers make their own heat, yeah.

As for China...I've been waiting for the US to give China the middle finger for a long time. The problem here is that I don't trust Trump with such a complicated game of diplomatic chess...
                  By Nolamom
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Womble View Post

What about the big shiny one the NSA has in Utah or such? that would need a hell of a lot of cooling if the whole building is for data. Imagine the costs to run it, not to mention the power.
                    Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                      This is a bit of a silly question for you given where you live, but is your power bill more in the summer, or in the winter?

http://www.energyvanguard.com/blog/3...Costs-You-More
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
                        Considering that the data servers make their own heat, yeah.

As for China...I've been waiting for the US to give China the middle finger for a long time. The problem here is that I don't trust Trump with such a complicated game of diplomatic chess...
                        That's the problem, isn't it.
                        sigpic

Comment

You know the kid who throws the chess board across the room when he is losing? I see that as being Trump.
                          Originally posted by aretood2
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

Must be why he does not use a computer, he keeps throwing the monitor when he looses
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
                              What about the big shiny one the NSA has in Utah or such? that would need a hell of a lot of cooling if the whole building is for data. Imagine the costs to run it, not to mention the power.
                              Or those server farms that the FBI has in maryland..

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                                Or those server farms that the FBI has in maryland..

Yeah well imagine the power costs?
                                Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X