This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Womble View Post
    But that's because Al-Qaeda didn't manage to score any more flashy successes, plus it shot itself in the foot by blowing up people in Muslim states. (That big drop in Jordanian opinion took place because of the 2005 Amman bombings). As the time passed, the glory faded.

There are. But the picture isn't terribly different for Quatar or Bangladesh. There are polls which include them, too.
    Can you point me in the direction of said polls?

Originally posted by Galileo_Galilee View Post
    We've got a tag team match going on here. I'm rooting for Goose, just to make things even.
    Why thank you
    My Stargate fan fiction @ FF.net | NEW: When Cassie Calls Teal'c.

Comment

Originally posted by Goose View Post
      Can you point me in the direction of said polls?

Why thank you
      I'm not counted, because I'm on ignore.
      If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
      Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
      If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
      Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

Originally posted by lordofseas View Post
        I'm not counted, because I'm on ignore.
        That's a shame, would've made it all the more interesting!

Comment

That's a shame, would've made it all the more interesting!
          It's still amusing.
          If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lordofseas View Post
            It's still amusing.
            Unfortunately I have to head of for some kip soon, so I hope you guys don't have too much fun without me!

Comment

Unfortunately I have to head of for some kip soon, so I hope you guys don't have too much fun without me!
              Too much fun. Such is impossible!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
                Historically, leaders have brought people together by pitting them against a common "enemy" - real or perceived. Hitler was masterful in doing it with the Jews. He made them the "enemy" of the German people, thus uniting them at a very difficult point in their history. It made it possible for them to come back after WWI and the heavy reparations, and economic turmoil to fight WWII so quickly. Both sides in the current situation seem to have made an enemy of the other to help in uniting their own people.
                My emphasis is on how he managed to rally the German people to the exclusion of minorities. It was by developing an "Aryan" identity and the enemies of the "German" people became those who threatened that identity. Jews represented the principle threat, Gypsies were the second largest group (interesting that you failed to recall that group in your other post and did remember Homosexuals and Jehovah's Witnesses, especially when you compare the millions of Gypsies dead to a few thousand Jehovah's Witnesses, not that they shouldn't be remembered. But that is another interesting topic about how we remember history and why).

Originally posted by KEK View Post
                I'd say it's more to do with propping up Middle Eastern dictators they like, and then toppling ones they don't, personally. Not to mention their blind support of Israel.
                Here's the question, why? And how would you go about propping up "favorable" dictators? How would you justify this action if you were the American policy makers, or rather how do they justify it?
                By Nolamom
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
                  (interesting that you failed to recall that group in your other post and did remember Homosexuals and Jehovah's Witnesses, especially when you compare the millions of Gypsies dead to a few thousand Jehovah's Witnesses, not that they shouldn't be remembered. But that is another interesting topic about how we remember history and why).
                  You're absolutely correct. I don't know why I failed to include Gypsies, total brain lapse I suppose. About the JW's, that's easy - my mother, who died this summer, was one so I tend to remember trivia about them.
                  sigpic

Comment

You're absolutely correct. I don't know why I failed to include Gypsies, total brain lapse I suppose. About the JW's, that's easy - my mother, who died this summer, was one so I tend to remember trivia about them.
                    Well I also tend to remember them too, and not Gypsies. Though the reasons why I recall Jehovah's Witnesses more are not nearly as personal as your reason here. They were mentioned more in my High School history class than Gypsies, interestingly enough. Though the main point I had in mind is how the Holocaust is remembered more of a Jewish thing. But that is a historical thing, and history, and well...politicians tend to avoid the study of history
                    By Nolamom
                    sigpic

Comment

Some politicians, like Sarah Palin for instance, avoid studying history as an art form!
                      sigpic

Comment

Some politicians, like Sarah Palin for instance, avoid studying history as an art form!
                        I always say that the one thing politicians fear the most is a country full of historians. On that thought line, don't you think it's rather interesting that the rulers of the US are mainly Lawyers who pretend to be experts at Economics, History, Psychology, and so on?
                        By Nolamom
                        sigpic

Comment

Probably because those are all social sciences. People (in general) don't seem to have a great deal of trust in lawyers. Social scientists are viewed more positively as they are seen to be more "in tune" with people and their problems. I could be way off-base here, but it seems to me that given a choice between a historian who has hopefully learned the lessons of history and therefor won't (easily) repeat the mistakes and a lawyer, folks would opt for the historian. Likewise an economist - practical applications to the economy vs. a knowledge of pure law. Psychology - understanding of the human psyche - what makes people tick as it were, how is the other guy going to react in a given situation, useful stuff.
                          sigpic

Comment

Reminds me of this one Tariff that a President signed on for in the early 1900's despite the dire warnings of about a thousand economists...it ended up causing more problems than solutions. I forgot what it was called >.<
                            By Nolamom
                            sigpic

Comment

There was more than one of those! Protectionism ran pretty rampant in the first half of the 20th century. It wasn't until later that politicians finally got it through their heads that trade is more beneficial to both parties than mutual tariffs.
                              sigpic

Comment

Protectionism is rather heavily suggested in Obama's new bill for Congress. "Made in America"...

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X