Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From what I read, tipping does little in the way of providing quality service, the idea of tipping for wages is purely an American one. Everywhere else tips are supposed to be a very small amount equivalent to leaving one dollar on the table. They are an extra, a thank you. But here we are guilted into tipping instead of being billed directly. I say that if we are to have a minimum wage, servers should be paid that wage and no employer should expect their wages to be met by the gratuity left behind by costumers.
    By Nolamom
    sigpic

Comment

Also, the customer should not be required to tip the server in order to be polite if the food served had all the appeal of dried shoe leather. But nor should the server be punished if the cook is phoning it in. Under the tipping system, a customer who doesn't wish to make a scene has no other way to voice displeasure at the quality of the food, the time required to be served, length of lines, etc. besides stiffing the server. Why punish the server for issues outside of their control?

Ideally, the customer should evaluate the entire dining experience, from the quality of the food to the promptness and quality of the service, and use that information in deciding whether to return to that business again in the future. If the operation as a whole provides good service, it will thrive. If not, it will die.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Hamenthotep View Post
        You're comparing his single year in politics, (during which time he has had absolutely no experience running a city, county or state) to her entire working life..
        And in that life time of working in politics, how many scandals has she had??

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
        I learned back in high school that the tipping system is horribly biased in favor of the female employees, who generally work on the sales floor as opposed to most male employees who work in the kitchen.

It is legal for most restaurants to pay their employees considerably less than min. wage, on the theory that they make up the difference in tips. However, the male kitchen staff rarely sees that income, it is retained by the mostly female servers and such who interface with the customers.
        Maybe that is why many restaurants do 'tip sharing'..

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
        I think we can all agree he lacks the political experience to make a decent mark as President. I mean, anyone can push a button but it takes a real man/woman to make the choice not to.
        And what has having 'experience' done for many politicians these days? Not much other than more lining of their OWN pockets..

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
        True but if he proves bad in office or such there are legal avenues to have him kicked out of office.
        And unlike with Obama, there's not a fear of being labeled a Racist if any of those politicians in Congress DO want to push for impeachment/..

Originally posted by Womble View Post
        I think it depends on the state. I know that in Oklahoma they display prices in shops and restaurants before taxes. Some states (Alaska, Delaware etc.) do not have a sales tax at all.

Tips are never part of the bill, you decide whether or not to tip and how much. But waiters in the USA often do not have the same minimum wage calculation as other employees and minimum wage for waiters in places like the American Midwest can be $2-3 per hour, so tips is how they actually reach the federal minimum wage of 7.25$ per hour in the first place.
        Heck, some of the restaurants i have been in, after all is computed up on your printed bill, they sometimes have a handy chart below it with a 'tip suggestion amount" for 10%, 15%, 20% and 25%..
        On occasion it shows only 15% and up..

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
        Why is impeachment so hard to do in the USA?

All the Obama haters wanted that so bad but it never happened ever. Why is it hard?
        ITs a several step process.
        1) first the House judiciary committee decides whether or not to proceed. If YES, then the chairmen of it will propose a resolution calling for a formal inqiry.
        2) after the inqiriy is done, they send another resolution to the FULL house saying Yay or nay on whether impeachment is warranted and WHY.
        3) the full house debates and votes on EACH article of impeachment.
        4) if any of those articles are approved by a simple majority the president is now "Impeached".
        NOW it gets kicked over to the Senate..
        5) The articles get received by the senate. The Senate formulates rules and procedures for holding a trial.
        6) a formal trial is held
        7) the senate meets in private to debate a verdict. Once reached, they hold an open session to vote ON said verdict. 2/3rds majority needed for conviction.
        8 ) if said conviction is received, THEN they vote to remove him from office...

So its a long drawn out process.. And as to WHY not done yet for Obama.. Fear of being labeled a racist and losing the black vote.

Originally posted by SoulReaver View Post
        btw what if the worker doesn't make enough in tips to reach minimum wage - can he sue his employer?
        The whole tipping system is inherently biased in other ways as well; given two otherwise identical servers, if one of them is more physically attractive (particularly if female) that server will make more in tips. Mythbusters actually tested this and confirmed this as far as breast size goes, anyway. The really surprising aspect of that was that the bigger breasts also garnered larger tips from women, too.

In my opinion, the entire practice should be scrapped in favor of the place of business paying the wages directly and making the judgement about who should earn more, if anyone, based upon job performance.
        To soul reavers question. In some states its required that the employer Make up the difference if the employee does NOT hit min wage from tips.. In other states, i am not sure..

And like Annoyed said, its very biased. Why do you think moer women are servers, while most cooks/back room staff are men.??

Also, the customer should not be required to tip the server in order to be polite if the food served had all the appeal of dried shoe leather. But nor should the server be punished if the cook is phoning it in. Under the tipping system, a customer who doesn't wish to make a scene has no other way to voice displeasure at the quality of the food, the time required to be served, length of lines, etc. besides stiffing the server. Why punish the server for issues outside of their control?
        That's why i prefer if there IS an issue with the food itself, you explain to the manager WHY you are not leaving a normal size tip..
        And if the food was excellent, call the manager over and ask to ge the cook out to tip THEM directly.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
          And in that life time of working in politics, how many scandals has she had??
          About as many as Trump has had in the last week.

You're trying to turn everything she does that you don't agree with into a scandal.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Hamenthotep View Post
            About as many as Trump has had in the last week.

You're trying to turn everything she does that you don't agree with into a scandal.
            Trump had more last week.
            sigpic
            ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
            A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
            The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
              Maybe that is why many restaurants do 'tip sharing'..
              In theory, anyway. Doesn't always work out that way, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                Trump had more last week.
                Trump doesn't have scandals.
                He has feet-in-mouth moments.

More feet than he can count, I bet too.
                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I have to agree. I've never seen a worse case of foot in mouth disease. It's SO bad that you have to consider the possibility that he may be trying to throw the election or possibly some other unknown scheme.

Comment

He does, they are mainly business ones though.

They are only Lilliputian feet though..........
                    sigpic

Comment

I have to agree. I've never seen a worse case of foot in mouth disease. It's SO bad that you have to consider the possibility that he may be trying to throw the election or possibly some other unknown scheme.
                      Yes, conspiracy theories are far more paletable than the obvious fact he is a moron.
                      sigpic

Comment

He does, they are mainly business ones though.

They are only Lilliputian feet though..........
                        And a Brobdingnagian mouth..

Comment

Yes, conspiracy theories are far more paletable than the obvious fact he is a moron.
                          But we don't know yet, do we?
                          Ultimately, everything makes sense from some angle once all the facts are known. We can't have all the facts about this for some months yet, at the earliest.
                          I'm not saying that it is something like that, but I have to keep that possibility open till the end is known.

Comment

But we don't know yet, do we?
                            Ultimately, everything makes sense from some angle once all the facts are known. We can't have all the facts about this for some months yet, at the earliest.
                            I'm not saying that it is something like that, but I have to keep that possibility open till the end is known.
                            Would you extend the same level of "openness" to Hillary?
                            I very much doubt it.
                            sigpic

Comment

Would you extend the same level of "openness" to Hillary?
                              I very much doubt it.
                              Difference is that with Hillary, there are already more than enough facts to hang her out to dry. We may not know everything, but what is already known is more than enough. By rights, she should be in federal prison, not running for federal office.

Comment

Difference is that with Hillary, there are already more than enough facts to hang her out to dry. We may not know everything, but what is already known is more than enough. By rights, she should be in federal prison, not running for federal office.
                                No, there are speculations and accusations with not a damn thing to prove anything to lock her up, but of course, that's just another conspiracy...........
                                How many facts would you like on trumps businesses, cause there are mountains of legal cases -actually- brought against him.
                                You will forgive him anything, say he is "taken out of context", but say he is a straight shooter, and when he starts loosing -badly-, The system is either rigged -again-, or he is "throwing the election"

There is an easier, more obvious answer.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X