Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been waiting for these questions. Interesting its you...

First of all it's TV so I will not Represent my Beliefs in their purity. I Am a devout Protestant none denominational Christian.
    Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
    If they'd never heard of the Christian God or received any messenger from him, what the hell would their chances of going to Paradise be?
    Simple. It starts with the Jews. A long time ago Man was condemned to go to hell. Then he selected a Liniage that will be different. In a world of polytheism a monotheistic nation rises. A pure nation that will escape Hell, the children of Israel, Children of God. One special Jew would Sacrifice himself as the lamb in Passover in order to save all those None Jews who Be live in his Apostle, in turn in him, and in turn believe in the God of the Jews thus granting them Salvation from Hell. That is why it is called "Salvation".

This is were I will jump to the SGverse
    Any Alien and any None Tauri well be reborn based on his life into a Tauri, thus given the chance to reach salvation.
    But it says that God created man. But we know that he didn't. The Alterrans (strictly not Man, but very similar) created Man.
    The Ancients do not worship God (or any deity for that matter). The Ori do not worship God either (they consider themselves gods).
    Or do we?
    "Landry: Just cause there are higher planes of existence, it doesn't mean that there aren't higher Higher planes of existence"
    God made ADAM and EVE, in Eden(Ancient Homeworld) They grew into thier children. Cain(the ORI) Set(The Ancients) and Abel(the followers of Origin, who have a alien form of Hebrew for their language).
    The Ori believed that they were the Actual offspring of the gods and thus destined to become gods. The followers of Origin belived in some monotheistic Religion. Among the Ancients that believed in science lied a sub group, the Enlightened ones(Oma/Buddist/Hindu type Ancients)

First the Ori and Ancients were one, like stated in cannon, then the Ori became violent. The Ori Hijacked Origin and tried to make the Followers of Origin walk a violent path. But the Followers refused. They felt that the Ori ways did not come from Origin, the beginning, the creation/creator. Then the Ori began the killing. That would be when Cain killed Abel. as a result the Ancients lift(the birth of Seth) along with its religious subgroup. Later on the last of the Followers of Origin left the Ori to find the Ancients. When they arrived they found out that the Ori planted a dorment Virus with them. A virus they were immunized from but would kill the unprotected ancients. That would the Plague. After the use of the Dakara weapon(Witch took 6 days) life was restored. But many of the Enlightened ones ascended. The last ancients returned to Earth. 2 small sects among them were the last of the Followers and the Enlightend ones. The Followers left to Mesopotamia. The Enlightened ones went of to Keb.

Many years would pass. the blood line of the Followers was thinning out. Abraham Family was the last of them. They decided that Humanity must now become the holders of origin. Much of the old teachings were lost. So they would try to form a nation of Humans with a tent of there blood. This nation will be different.\, since the gould left Earth as a polytheistic world. This nation would stay true to Origin. So the Abram Family lost their Ancient blood by union spouses of Humans. They would change their name to the Abraham family. They also had a Family of Pure Humans, the Lot Family. Both of them set out to a promised land... Around this time some others from Keb returned to earth to influence the Hindu religion witch Oma would latter use to form a new sect with this religion, Buddhism. Later on for some reason Jewish sect broke of the whole religion and "evolved into Christianity. Jesus is to credit for that. Then the rest is history...

Are you saying God created the original Alterran homeworld, the Alterrans and then when they rejected his teachings sent messengers to Earth and had them preach there?
    this is an interesting question. Say that the reason Origin "Seems" like Christianity is cause they(Ori Galaxy Humans) got it first. But then the Ori with their god complex Hijakced it like Osama Ben-laden and used it for their own purposes. So then it came to the Children of the Ancients.
    [An alarm is sounding. Harriman checks his watch as he and Siler stand, facing Ba'al's hologram.]
    HARRIMAN
    I'm sure he'll be here any second now.
    [Ba'al is obviously impatient.]
    HARRIMAN
    So, um…

Take our ships, take our toys, take our awesome alien tech... I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take Stargate from me!

Special Thanks to Elles sence this is a ripof of her great sig.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson View Post
      God would be the creator, not an alien, to be exact. An alien would be a being that originated from a celestial body other than Earth. God didn't originate, he has always existed.
      Ah, but I said nothing about creation. If god created earth then he is not from earth, therefore he is an extraterrestrial, ie Alien. And that applies to any religious belief that claims their god or gods created the earth. If they are not from earth they are aliens.

Comment

As I said, to be alien is to originate somewhere else. God is neither terrestrial nor extraterrestrial. He is God.

Comment

Life revolving around an ant colony for an ant isn't much different than what we do in our daily lives. we look after our houses, we go to the store and we go to work. I don't mean to pick a fight and all that, the initial intention of this post, being the op, is how these revelations would effect you.

I think everyone is taking this far too seriously, and yes i do understand that religion and it's discussions tend to be taken seriously. the main reason being is that people obviously feel passionately about their faith, or lack there of. Which is great. ROCK ON BRUTHA!!!

I think i forgot my point, too much beer and not enough sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by SG-25CSAR View Post
            I have been waiting for these questions. Interesting its you...

First of all it's TV so I will not Represent my Beliefs in their purity. I Am a devout Protestant none denominational Christian.

Simple. It starts with the Jews. A long time ago Man was condemned to go to hell. Then he selected a Liniage that will be different. In a world of polytheism a monotheistic nation rises. A pure nation that will escape Hell, the children of Israel, Children of God. One special Jew would Sacrifice himself as the lamb in Passover in order to save all those None Jews who Be live in his Apostle, in turn in him, and in turn believe in the God of the Jews thus granting them Salvation from Hell. That is why it is called "Salvation".

This is were I will jump to the SGverse
            Any Alien and any None Tauri well be reborn based on his life into a Tauri, thus given the chance to reach salvation.

Or do we?
            "Landry: Just cause there are higher planes of existence, it doesn't mean that there aren't higher Higher planes of existence"
            God made ADAM and EVE, in Eden(Ancient Homeworld) They grew into thier children. Cain(the ORI) Set(The Ancients) and Abel(the followers of Origin, who have a alien form of Hebrew for their language).
            The Ori believed that they were the Actual offspring of the gods and thus destined to become gods. The followers of Origin belived in some monotheistic Religion. Among the Ancients that believed in science lied a sub group, the Enlightened ones(Oma/Buddist/Hindu type Ancients)

First the Ori and Ancients were one, like stated in cannon, then the Ori became violent. The Ori Hijacked Origin and tried to make the Followers of Origin walk a violent path. But the Followers refused. They felt that the Ori ways did not come from Origin, the beginning, the creation/creator. Then the Ori began the killing. That would be when Cain killed Abel. as a result the Ancients lift(the birth of Seth) along with its religious subgroup. Later on the last of the Followers of Origin left the Ori to find the Ancients. When they arrived they found out that the Ori planted a dorment Virus with them. A virus they were immunized from but would kill the unprotected ancients. That would the Plague. After the use of the Dakara weapon(Witch took 6 days) life was restored. But many of the Enlightened ones ascended. The last ancients returned to Earth. 2 small sects among them were the last of the Followers and the Enlightend ones. The Followers left to Mesopotamia. The Enlightened ones went of to Keb.

Many years would pass. the blood line of the Followers was thinning out. Abraham Family was the last of them. They decided that Humanity must now become the holders of origin. Much of the old teachings were lost. So they would try to form a nation of Humans with a tent of there blood. This nation will be different.\, since the gould left Earth as a polytheistic world. This nation would stay true to Origin. So the Abram Family lost their Ancient blood by union spouses of Humans. They would change their name to the Abraham family. They also had a Family of Pure Humans, the Lot Family. Both of them set out to a promised land... Around this time some others from Keb returned to earth to influence the Hindu religion witch Oma would latter use to form a new sect with this religion, Buddhism. Later on for some reason Jewish sect broke of the whole religion and "evolved into Christianity. Jesus is to credit for that. Then the rest is history...
            That is actually a kind of clever idea you set up there.
            I would add the travel from the Alteran homeworld to Earth as being rescued from the flood.

Originally posted by mlarke View Post
            This isn't meant to be a theological debate, but go ahead if you want to. I was at work today and for some reason or other a thought popped into my head: If you were involved with the Stargate program and discovered that an extremely advanced race of aliens, not too dissimilar from us physiologically, which I suppose is debateable, seeded life on here on Earth, and the galaxy(s) for that matter, would that alter your belief in God, whichever one that may be?

Also, after making this discovery would you be able to do your job effectively.

Personally, I would have no problem with it. I have never been the most faith driven individual, but I do respect that many are, more power to you. It has also been an idea I have had for a while, that we are a big alien experiment and they like to mess with us.

Have a nice day, now I need to put my tinfoil hat back on so they can't read my thoughts.
            It sure would royally screw over naturalistic evolutionary theory... so...

Originally posted by Dutch_Razor View Post
            He. The alpha to the omega. *poof* there's a world!
            Better than "something came from nothing"-which IMO takes a heck of a lot of blind faith to believe.
            While "God exists" (which would be the intelligent designer and uncaused first cause) is not based in Blind Faith but in reason and clear evidence.

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
            Why would God do that, though? Why would he purposeful try and prevent these two races from ever meeting by telling each of them that they were the only truly intelligent and worthy race?
            The Bible never says that we are the only race made in God's image, only that we are made in God's image.

Originally posted by immhotep View Post
            I dont think i could believe in a higher power, god, shaman, boogey man in the sky. Im a complete athiest and i just coudlnt imagine religion playing anything but a negative factor in my life. So would it stop me doing my job? We just discovered life on another planet, my job would be the last thing on my mind lol.
            Your religion is atheism.

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
            I mean, that's partly why I don't believe in God; the fact that there are thousands of different faiths all claiming to have spoken to a prophet of their god(s). So how can any of them be true?
            That is a bad reason not to believe in God.
            A good reason not to believe in a religious system... but not a good reson to reject a belief in God.

I agree, the world is very confusing.

We have two ultimate possibilities in religion:
            All of them are wrong. One of them is right.

They all contradict so not all can be right.

I have a question for you.

If there was one true belief, and human kind has been decieved and deluded, would it not follow that there are many wrong beliefs?

If there are thus many wrong beliefs, would it not follow that the right belief is discernable?

If I were a Christian, Jew or Muslim (I'm an Atheist), it would definitely. I don't know what the Koran says but doesn't the Bible state that the world was created 5000 or so years ago?
            The Bible never states it, it is an extrapolation.

Stargate isn't real, thus this post is based on a false premise.

BTW, Stargate has debunked the Bible and the Quoran already. The Bible states that God created man in his image on Earth "X numbers of years ago". However, we know that this isn't true. The Ancients travelled from another galaxy millions of years ago and then seeded life in the Milky Way (in their image).

So unless God kinda lied to us (and was actually talking about the Ancients), Stagate cannon is that God (the Jewish, Christian and Muslim one) does not exist.
            Stargate is a TV show, it isn't real.
            So it can't debunk anything.

I hope you realize that?

And neither the Bible nor the Koran state a date for creation.

As for the Bible there are several camps on the subject in Christendom.

Originally posted by Womble View Post
            The Flood's 40 days are, in this case, subjective time measured from Noah's perspective).
            Just a clarifying statement:

The 40 days and 40 nights are how long it rained.

The water burst from the deep and poured from above aswell as terrible torrents of rain.
            Last edited by An-Alteran; 30 October 2007, 11:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AvatarIII View Post
              and priors dont need to have melty skin, i'm just saying we know ascendeds can gift humans with powers, why not gift moses with the power to escape the goa'uld? and then later this ancient WAS banished to live on earth from birth to death, but was allowed to ascend again once he repented and promised never to interfere ever again.
              so essentially the only times this guy really interfered was saving the jews from the goa'uld, saving the whole human race from a worldwide flood, and then warning mary that she would be pregnant with a baby, which would later be him,
              I meant that if someone created a prior, it'd be pretty hard for the Ascended not to notice them.

There is no reason why the Others would allow the guy who'd broken the rules by giving Moses powers to stay Ascended for thousands of years and then, in the year of 4 suddenly decided to descend him and allow him to be reborn in a body full with pre-Ascended powers (like healing) and then let him interfere with the lower planes and then let him Ascend, yet again.

If they're gonna descend him, they're gonna do it the Daniel way; amnesia and normal human body.

Jesus also claimed to be the son of God, so that must've all been a lie too.

Comment

Originally posted by An-Alteran View Post
                The Bible never says that we are the only race made in God's image, only that we are made in God's image.
                Yes, but we know that the Ancients created us. So the notion that God created Man would be a lie (according to Stargate canon).

Atheism is not a religion. There is no manifesto or theology that all or even most Atheists follow. We don't have customs or teachings.

"If you were involved with the Stargate program and discovered that an extremely advanced race of aliens, not too dissimilar from us physiologically, which I suppose is debateable, seeded life on here on Earth, and the galaxy(s) for that matter, would that alter your belief in God, whichever one that may be?"

The entire purpose of this thread is to imagine what if the Stargate program was real and what that would do to your religious beliefs. Reread the original post if you didn't snap that up the first time.

Comment

It sure would royally screw over naturalistic evolutionary theory... so...
                  How exactly? Ancients used the process of Evolution in order to 'create' us in their form. They still evolved, every other lifeform on our planet still evolved. Evolution still occured. The Ancients simply controlled either our environment, or the mutations.

Better than "something came from nothing"-which IMO takes a heck of a lot of blind faith to believe.
                  While "God exists" (which would be the intelligent designer and uncaused first cause) is not based in Blind Faith but in reason and clear evidence.
                  You're still assuming that God came from nothing, your proposition that God exists has no evidence. Empiricists will simply claim that they don't know what happened before the Big Bang. We don't know, its that simple.... throwing random deities in to cover up our ignorance doesn't help.

Bull****. Atheism is not a religion, its not even a faith. Atheists have no faith, its not that we believe God doesn't exist, its that we don't believe God exists. There is a very important distinction.

We have two ultimate possibilities in religion:
                  All of them are wrong. One of them is right.

They all contradict so not all can be right.

I have a question for you.

If there was one true belief, and human kind has been decieved and deluded, would it not follow that there are many wrong beliefs?

If there are thus many wrong beliefs, would it not follow that the right belief is discernable?
                  Please explain how you've come to the conclusion that the right belief should be identifiable?

I hope you realize that?
                  "Hypothetical" look it up. This entire thread is based on the following hypothesis:

If you were involved with the Stargate program and discovered that an extremely advanced race of aliens, not too dissimilar from us physiologically, which I suppose is debateable, seeded life on here on Earth, and the galaxy(s) for that matter, would that alter your belief in God, whichever one that may be?

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson View Post
                    Am I the only one here who believes God created us, not aliens?
                    i think we are talking about in the SG universe aren't we?

Originally posted by SoulRe@ver View Post
                    not much of a "god" then

alien => living being => mortal & flawed => can be killed
                    why do you assume that something living must be mortal and flawed? even more to the point, how can you assume that an alien being is even living in the terms we understand it? who's to say there isn't a sentient nebula out there or something like that
                    Spoiler:
                    Disclaimer:
                    I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
                    Quotes!
                    - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
                    - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
                    - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
                    sigpic

Comment

Or

God => Fictional => Requires belief/delusion to exist => Can be deleted from existence by denial
                      From that "god" of a man Michael Crichton.....

Dr. Ian Malcolm: God creates dinosaurs. God destroys dinosaurs. God creates man. Man destroys God. Man creates dinosaurs...
                      Dr. Ellie Sattler: Dinosaurs eat man. Woman inherits the earth...

Comment

Originally posted by AvatarIII
                        why do you assume that something living must be mortal and flawed? ^
                        well if it lives then it has needs doesn't it ? regardless how evolved it is (from microbe to ascended being) it needs energy to survive (lest it violate the 1st Law of Thermodynamics)
                        also I didn't mean biologically immortal" (we have our own species that match this criterion, and I doubt you'd worship these -)
                        even more to the point, how can you assume that an alien being is even living in the terms we understand it?
                        I'm not, as that is irrelevant
                        who's to say there isn't a sentient nebula out there or something like that
                        lol, nebulae are just gas clouds
                        if one were sentient we could even scoop up a sample of it for study, also such a being could very much be "killed" (I dunno, just send in Big Bad Wolf and he'll huff & puff and ...)

Comment

Originally posted by Rac80
                          From that "god" of a man Michael Crichton.....

Dr. Ian Malcolm: God creates dinosaurs. God destroys dinosaurs. God creates man. Man destroys God. Man creates dinosaurs...
                          Dr. Ellie Sattler: Dinosaurs eat man. Woman inherits the earth...
                          yeah I remember the movie, he was talking about armageddon :|
                          Last edited by SoulReaver; 31 October 2007, 09:09 AM.

Comment

I dont think i could believe in a higher power, god, shaman, boogey man in the sky. Im a complete athiest and i just coudlnt imagine religion playing anything but a negative factor in my life. So would it stop me doing my job? We just discovered life on another planet, my job would be the last thing on my mind lol.
                            ^ That would most likely be my reaction.

Job, what ******* job. They found INTELLIGENT LIFE ON OTHER WORLDS!!

Since I have a very generalist vision of a Deity, it wouldn't upset me. I don't think we're the only intelligent life in the universe(s). That, to me, is a non-logical concept. If She/He/It speaks to 'people', whatever their form, S/H/I would be perceived by them as something familiar, too.
                            You're never too old to do something goofy.
                            sigpic
                            Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

Comment

We dont know that A single colony of ants has the same amount of nuerons as a human brain. its entirely possible that us pouring boiling water down thier nests could seen by them as a flood, sent by a high being to kill them all. As many as possible cling to leavy debree collected in the nest, forming an arc that saves only those who are strong enough to survive the flood. Sound familier...
                              Ants build their nests so they cannot be flooded out. They have a rather good system of flood control. So not a good example.
                              "Embress your life, find what it is that you love, and pursue it with all your soul. For if you do not, when you come to die, you will find that you have not lived."

A character from the novel "Chindi" by Jack McDevitt

Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.
                              'Eleanor Roosevelt'
                              Individuality is freedom lived.
                              'Janis Joplin'

Comment

Atheism is not a religion. There is no manifesto or theology that all or even most Atheists follow. We don't have customs or teachings.
                                Technically it is. It is a persons' spirituallity. Everyone in the world has so kind of spirituallity which makes us want to know who we are and how we can to exist. It is a belief system.
                                "Embress your life, find what it is that you love, and pursue it with all your soul. For if you do not, when you come to die, you will find that you have not lived."

A character from the novel "Chindi" by Jack McDevitt

Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.
                                'Eleanor Roosevelt'
                                Individuality is freedom lived.
                                'Janis Joplin'

Comment

Working...
                                X