This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
    I doubt the Ancients were much more lenient on the rules a mere couple of thousand years ago. In fact, there's canon evidence that Rule of Non-Interference has been around for at least 10,000 years.

Chaya was an Ancient who Ascended. As all of the Ancients in the Pegasus Galaxy either died or evacuated over 10,000 years ago (as far as we know, there's no reason to speculate otherwise), Chaya must have Ascended around then or earlier.

Once Ascended, she immediately broke the rules by trying to protect Proculus and was therefore banished because she broke the rules.

Also, this doesn't even address the issue of all of the parts in the Bible where the authors claim God or an angel of God came to them. Even if the Ancients thought it important to break their own rules and help out us Lowers, they'd never send messengers to create a religion where we worship them because of what happened with the Ori.
    perhaps the ascended that helped earth was more sneaky than chaya then, maybe about 2000 years ago he was banished to earth for his crimes, but repented and stopped interfereing.
    and like i said before, they never intended to create a religion, it just sort of happened. and they couldn't do anything about it, other than let us have free choice to believe in it or not, and to be honest, most of the races in pegasus worship "the ancestors" almost as if they were gods anyway,
    Spoiler:
    Disclaimer:
    I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
    Quotes!
    - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
    - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
    - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
      Why would God do that, though? Why would he purposeful try and prevent these two races from ever meeting by telling each of them that they were the only truly intelligent and worthy race?
      Being so far apart, I really think the two races (human and other) would have different mindsets. We are a produce of our environment. I doubt the other race and we humans would see life the same.

Look at the different cultures on Earth and how diverse we are. It stands to reason the other race would interact differently.
      "Embress your life, find what it is that you love, and pursue it with all your soul. For if you do not, when you come to die, you will find that you have not lived."

A character from the novel "Chindi" by Jack McDevitt

Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.
      'Eleanor Roosevelt'
      Individuality is freedom lived.
      'Janis Joplin'

Comment

Originally posted by mlarke View Post
        This isn't meant to be a theological debate, but go ahead if you want to. I was at work today and for some reason or other a thought popped into my head: If you were involved with the Stargate program and discovered that an extremely advanced race of aliens, not too dissimilar from us physiologically, which I suppose is debateable, seeded life on here on Earth, and the galaxy(s) for that matter, would that alter your belief in God, whichever one that may be?
        I believe that God create life on Earth, not aliens, so I don't believe that such a revelation will ever happen, and if it does... it's a lie. Granted, that's my beliefe.

Also, after making this discovery would you be able to do your job effectively.
        If it were revealed that alien life existed... it wouldn't really change anything for me except I'd want to meet said aliens.

It has also been an idea I have had for a while, that we are a big alien experiment and they like to mess with us.
        I'd certainly like to believe that I'm more than just a science experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Atlantis1 View Post
          Being so far apart, I really think the two races (human and other) would have different mindsets. We are a produce of our environment. I doubt the other race and we humans would see life the same.

Look at the different cultures on Earth and how diverse we are. It stands to reason the other race would interact differently.
          Yes but if one "true" God spoke to each race at its creation, then they shouldn't have different mindsets, should they? They should each have an identical set of 10 Commandments and they should each have the same God-given morals and values. Why would that change?
          Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
          Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Yes but if one "true" God spoke to each race at its creation, then they shouldn't have different mindsets, should they? They should each have an identical set of 10 Commandments and they should each have the same God-given morals and values. Why would that change?
            i don't know if you've noticed but even on earth not everyone follows those 10 commandments, or has the same mindset, and we've atleast had some interaction with each other, unlike us with aliens.
            Spoiler:
            Disclaimer:
            I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
            Quotes!
            - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AvatarIII View Post
              i don't know if you've noticed but even on earth not everyone follows those 10 commandments, or has the same mindset, and we've atleast had some interaction with each other, unlike us with aliens.
              Oh, I know that. I just meant that, theoretically, if the Christian God came to both us and aliens, they SHOULD have the same ideas, right?

I mean, that's partly why I don't believe in God; the fact that there are thousands of different faiths all claiming to have spoken to a prophet of their god(s). So how can any of them be true?
              Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
              Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Oh, I know that. I just meant that, theoretically, if the Christian God came to both us and aliens, they SHOULD have the same ideas, right?

I mean, that's partly why I don't believe in God; the fact that there are thousands of different faiths all claiming to have spoken to a prophet of their god(s). So how can any of them be true?
                i totally agree with you on that one, but i'm just saying if there was a God, who gave us free will over our beliefs and choices, to the point that God tolerated different faith's, why wouldn't he tolerate them on other planets, who would have had completely different experiences to us, seeing as some things that happened in the bible would have been earth specific, tower of babel, the great flood, birth of christ, etc all the things that happened because we were essentially failures, maybe if there was a god, there was another planet of worse failures, or even better successes in gods eyes
                Spoiler:
                Disclaimer:
                Quotes!
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AvatarIII View Post
                  perhaps the ascended that helped earth was more sneaky than chaya then, maybe about 2000 years ago he was banished to earth for his crimes, but repented and stopped interfereing.
                  and like i said before, they never intended to create a religion, it just sort of happened. and they couldn't do anything about it, other than let us have free choice to believe in it or not, and to be honest, most of the races in pegasus worship "the ancestors" almost as if they were gods anyway,
                  You conveniently didn't address the issue where tons of people claim to have talked and been visited by messengers of God. If any one Ancients swooped down and posed as an angel repeatedly, the Others would take note and banish them forever (if not worse).

So either the entire Bible is a lie or the parts where people claim to have talked to God or messengers of God are lies (if we are to think that Christianity is based on meeting with Ancients and their works).

It'd also be kinda hard not to notice a Prior-like person walking around Earth.

Comment

You conveniently didn't address the issue where tons of people claim to have talked and been visited by messengers of God. If any one Ancients swooped down and posed as an angel repeatedly, the Others would take note and banish them forever (if not worse).

So either the entire Bible is a lie or the parts where people claim to have talked to God or messengers of God are lies (if we are to think that Christianity is based on meeting with Ancients and their works).

It'd also be kinda hard not to notice a Prior-like person walking around Earth.
                    you are right, in my theory a lot of the times people see messengers of god they are lying, or exaggerating, or the story was changed over retellings.

and priors dont need to have melty skin, i'm just saying we know ascendeds can gift humans with powers, why not gift moses with the power to escape the goa'uld? and then later this ancient WAS banished to live on earth from birth to death, but was allowed to ascend again once he repented and promised never to interfere ever again.
                    so essentially the only times this guy really interfered was saving the jews from the goa'uld, saving the whole human race from a worldwide flood, and then warning mary that she would be pregnant with a baby, which would later be him,
                    Spoiler:
                    Disclaimer:
                    Quotes!
                    sigpic

Comment

According to the Bible, a whole myriad of people got visited by "messengers of God" who dictated to them the words of God (which were them woven into the Bible).

Even if the Ancients gave Earth Moses by interfering (which would break their most cardinal rule), that doesn't account for all of the angels and other times when God supposedly spoke to the peoples of Earth.
                      Actually in B5 the christians got their belief in Angels and Demons via the Legend of the Vorlons fighting the Shadows. So it is concievable that religions can come from other life forms that are more advanced than us and our ancestors trying to make sense within their own understanding what they are seeing.
                      sigpic

Comment

Am I the only one here who believes God created us, not aliens?

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson View Post
                          No you are not. I agree with you.
                          "Embress your life, find what it is that you love, and pursue it with all your soul. For if you do not, when you come to die, you will find that you have not lived."

A character from the novel "Chindi" by Jack McDevitt

Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.
                          'Eleanor Roosevelt'
                          Individuality is freedom lived.
                          'Janis Joplin'

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson View Post
                            Demographically, its very likely.
                            sigpic
                            You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                            Stargate : Genesis |
                            Original Starship DesignThread
                            Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                            11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by Phantom6 View Post
                              I've always felt the human race was seeded.

A divine force just seems... I don't know. Unfeasible.

There are just too many questions left unanswered with the "God did it." answer.
                              Same here. Especially with if i was part of the SG program i would then know of the ancients, atlantis, the Gou'ald and everything else, so that would put my belief in a 'god' into question.

I'm an atheist, so this would just reinforce my beliefs. But I would certainly find it interesting to see how the religious factions of the world reacted.
                              I am technically between athiest and agnostic.. While i believe something is out there of the 'supernatural ilk'; i do not feel it is a god like entity.

Why would God do that, though? Why would he purposeful try and prevent these two races from ever meeting by telling each of them that they were the only truly intelligent and worthy race?
                              And if he was the one true god, how did those other planet's worth of people come into being, let alone all the talk of ascention etc??

Comment

Na, it wouldn't bother me much. I have always held the belief that it is the faith, not the being you have faith in, that keeps a person going.
                                And, since in most religious beliefs it is the deity or deities that created earth and mankind then the deity or deities are, in fact, aliens.

Comment

Working...
                                X