This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wass
    Cronus do you have any virus/spyware protection if not you are best of getting some.
    We had Norton Antivirus stuff with the computer but that's been reporting some kind of error and won't even let me into it to see what's up.
    Also, last night downloaded some spyware thing from microsoft (took ages just to stop the interent from crashing to get onto the website). That reported fifty odd spyware components, quarantined or deleted them as it saw fit, but still computer doesn't seem to have gotten any better. Internet is still dodgy at best and it still corrupts floppies.
    The death of one man is a tragedy, the death of millions is a statistic - Stalin
    The viewpoint of one person is not the viewpoint of all - ShadowMaat
    Dulce et Decorum est pro patria mori - Horace
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke
    Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools talk because they have to say something - Plato
    An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind - Gandhi
    Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake - Napoleon

Comment

Ring your ISP and ask them they will give you some more info about why your internet is slow the most likely cause is spyware or virus
      "Love is not for life, it's for one week only" Wass

“You have to stay in shape. My grandmother, she started walking five miles a day when she was 60. She's 97 today and we don't know where the hell she is.” Ellen DeGeners

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'.” Homer Simpson

“It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up, because by that time I was too famous.” Robert Benchley

“What is it with McDonald's staff who pretend they don't understand you unless you insert the 'Mc' before the item you're ordering? It has to be a McChicken burger...a chicken burger gets blank looks. Well, I'll have a McStraw and jam it into your McEyes, you f**cking Mc******!” Billy Connolly

“Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? ...He's a mile away and you've got his shoes.” Billy Connolly

Comment

Ring your ISP and ask them they will give you some more info about why your internet is slow the most likely cause is spyware or virus
        Thanks. Green coming your way once I've distributed it a bit more.
        The death of one man is a tragedy, the death of millions is a statistic - Stalin
        All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke
        Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools talk because they have to say something - Plato

Comment

Originally posted by sueKay
          Hi Wass!!!!

My computer's dying...bit by bit...it never did recover from that spyware two months ago...

the sd drives don't work...the floppy's shot and my programs are corrupted...it takes twenty minutes to start up and normally takes three attempts...it then works for half an hour then crashes again.

But anywho...

HI GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111
          Hi!

Dying? *grins* A computer never dies, windows can only emulate it

I guess you're not a computer nerd (Like myself ) so I can only advice you to backup your stuff and after that format the HDD and start with a fresh install of windows. On this install install: A Virusscanner, a firewall and spyware removal tools.

btw which version of Windows do you use? (If you're using ME, you're screwed and should try to get XP asap)
          Signed,

Gregorius
          Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.

sigpic

Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
          Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

Comment

Mine did exactly that, I e-mailed the pictures I had on the computer to myself then had to put the quick restore in to wipe everything out.

The Brane: Bringing the evil, freaking people out, taking their sanity since 2005

Comment

I guess I lucky. I never had ME. I went from 98 to XP.

The only time my computer crash it was my fault, a long time ago when I was first learning. I had deleted some things I shouldn't have. Now I'm careful about that.

Comment

That's why it is always best to make regular back ups I do it at least once a month. .

“You have to stay in shape. My grandmother, she started walking five miles a day when she was 60. She's 97 today and we don't know where the hell she is.” Ellen DeGeners

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'.” Homer Simpson

“It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up, because by that time I was too famous.” Robert Benchley

“What is it with McDonald's staff who pretend they don't understand you unless you insert the 'Mc' before the item you're ordering? It has to be a McChicken burger...a chicken burger gets blank looks. Well, I'll have a McStraw and jam it into your McEyes, you f**cking Mc******!” Billy Connolly

“Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? ...He's a mile away and you've got his shoes.” Billy Connolly

Comment

Way back about 4 years ago I couldn't make a copy .
                  I had ME on the other computer, and it wouldn't do a thing. The thing is though it was the Computer repair shop that put it on there.

The Brane: Bringing the evil, freaking people out, taking their sanity since 2005

Comment

Get XP much better I had no problems with it but for spyware and virus you need other programs installed such as Zonealarm gives you better protection then XP it self.

Comment

That's why it is always best to make regular back ups I do it at least once a month. .
                      Best thing is to either buy a 2nd hdd or to make a 2nd virtual hdd (Partition) to store them on (Backing up 20+ gigs is very expensive when you don't have that )
                      Signed,

Gregorius
                      Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.

sigpic

Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
                      Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

Comment

That's good as well but I think burning it on RWCD is cheaper and easier specially if you have small amounts off data as most people have.

Comment

Now I have XP pro on that one and XP Home on this one. I like the XP home The best. I have Kaspersky antivirus, firewall, spam blocker, popup blocker, spyware remover and this other thing that keeps the computer faster. and it seems to be working good.

Comment

Originally posted by Angelique
                            Now I have XP pro on that one and XP Home on this one. I like the XP home The best. I have Kaspersky antivirus, firewall, spam blocker, popup blocker, spyware remover and this other thing that keeps the computer faster. and it seems to be working good.
                            Lucky for some.

Comment

That's good as well but I think burning it on RWCD is cheaper and easier specially if you have small amounts off data as most people have.
                              That's what I do now that I have a CD burner, but 4 years ago I didn't so most of it was lost

Comment

There you go that's most of the stuff I have, also if you have any P2P programs that will also have an effect.

Comment

Working...
                                X