Sam and Jack Shipper Lounge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SaraBahama View Post
    That's really frustrating. It sounds like he's trying to coast on the work of others. Grrrr.
    Indeed. Last night, I sent them both my part of the next assignment and asked them for feedback, because I wasn't sure if everything I'd listed was relevant. He mailed me back with yes/no at the end for every item and said he could explain his reasoning if I wanted him to, but I didn't really need it since we appeared to be in agreement for the most part. Today, I offered to write out that part for everyone's items, since the other girl also mailed a list instead of something written and they also had other parts they needed to write. Some of her items were the same as mine, so I figured if I'd do it at least it would be done to my standards and it wouldn't be extra work for anyone. So, I asked the guy for his list since I'd need it to finish the part. He mailed me back saying he agreed with everything I sent the evening before, so he hadn't made his own. Um, he had a different variable that didn't necessarily have the same items as mine?

And tonight he mailed the other part he was supposed to write (of course, again badly formatted and lots of spelling/grammar and punctuation issues - how he ever passed his high school exams I'll never know) and for validity he basically said that since he'd used articles from the uni's library it was valid. Um, dude, that's not what validity is about?! Also, I'd already said last night that I would write the validity part and had already finished it after thinking on it for over an hour (and writing something actually met the requirements of the assignment, unlike his version of it).

I'm so going to socialize more with others tomorrow in case we need to do another collaborating writing assignment in the future.

Also, I've decided to stop worrying about it. My part is done, the girl will put everyone's parts together into a whole and then I only need to do two or three more assignments with them. The last assignment is an individual one, so I can totally ace that one and let him submit something with poor spelling, grammar and punctuation.
    Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
    Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
    On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Yes, it is American football. They've so completely outscored their opponents this season, it's ridiculous.

Fems, I'm so sorry you're having to deal with these issues. I was lucky in college: I only had one group project for my psych class. Even so, we had issues, too. Not nearly as bad as yours, though.

Comment

Originally posted by brendini View Post
        Yes, it is American football. They've so completely outscored their opponents this season, it's ridiculous.

Fems, I'm so sorry you're having to deal with these issues. I was lucky in college: I only had one group project for my psych class. Even so, we had issues, too. Not nearly as bad as yours, though.
        I've never had these issues before either! Then again, I usually knew the people I had to collaborate with a lot better and often could pick them myself, so I'd go with ones who wanted the same things...

Also, I worked with this guy and two other courses (for presentations) and that went well, although we didn't really collaborate much since we simply divided halves and did our thing. Granted, he screwed up his part of the presentation for the last course, but that only affected my grade on the collaboration part and it was still very good.

Ah well. Nothing I can do about it now, anyway.
        Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
        On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Want me to punch the guy for ya, Fems? Job-hunting rage has taken me over at the moment, I'm dealing with a lack of funds, stonewalling on interviews (all cite 'nothing wrong with u just not enough experience' - so, basically, there's NOTHING more I can do!) and a bf with insomnia on the verge of nervous breakdown from job-related stress with parents who are just shrugging their shoulders and giving him the cold shoulder for moving away from home - for a job that was his only chance at promotion!!!

I'm gonna punch something at this rate, and given a lack of Ba'al in my immediate vicinity and wanting to preserve 'in-law' good relations, I may as well make someone else's day a bit better.
          Sam and Jack... Still the best romance on TV in years!

My fanfic http://www.fanfiction.net/~drawntotherhythm

Comment

Originally posted by AmberLM View Post
            Want me to punch the guy for ya, Fems? Job-hunting rage has taken me over at the moment, I'm dealing with a lack of funds, stonewalling on interviews (all cite 'nothing wrong with u just not enough experience' - so, basically, there's NOTHING more I can do!) and a bf with insomnia on the verge of nervous breakdown from job-related stress with parents who are just shrugging their shoulders and giving him the cold shoulder for moving away from home - for a job that was his only chance at promotion!!!

I'm gonna punch something at this rate, and given a lack of Ba'al in my immediate vicinity and wanting to preserve 'in-law' good relations, I may as well make someone else's day a bit better.
            Aw, thanks for the offer! I appreciate it. But I don't think it'll be necessary. I might get back to you on that later this week, though

About your work experience: isn't there an option to get work experience somewhere? Due to the economical crisis lots of uni graduates can't get jobs here either, all hearing the same thing; lack of work experience. That means they end up on benefits eventually. However, to ensure they can get off benefits and into a good job, lots of companies/organizations offer work experience places. Basically, it means people work for no pay for a max of 6 months, but retain their benefits. That way, it's easier for them to get a job afterwards, since they have actual work experience (perhaps not years, but so far everyone here - I have two uni graduates at the moment and get new ones about every 6 months - has ended up with an actual job afterwards).
            On FFnet or AO3

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
              Aw, thanks for the offer! I appreciate it. But I don't think it'll be necessary. I might get back to you on that later this week, though

About your work experience: isn't there an option to get work experience somewhere? Due to the economical crisis lots of uni graduates can't get jobs here either, all hearing the same thing; lack of work experience. That means they end up on benefits eventually. However, to ensure they can get off benefits and into a good job, lots of companies/organizations offer work experience places. Basically, it means people work for no pay for a max of 6 months, but retain their benefits. That way, it's easier for them to get a job afterwards, since they have actual work experience (perhaps not years, but so far everyone here - I have two uni graduates at the moment and get new ones about every 6 months - has ended up with an actual job afterwards).
              Sadly, none that I know of, Fems! No one has the time or money to train up non-employees (I spoke to the dept I recently applied for a job with and they told me they're not even sure when the guy they hired instead of me can start as they don't have the time or staff to train him up until at least after Xmas!!) and I already have a year of experience working in a lab, 3 years in banking and a heap of retail experience which is getting me a few interviews at least but there's always someone more qualified or experienced than me who beats me to the job. I can't claim benefits because I have too much in savings so I don't even get the rubbish 'work for free monthly placements in pound shops' experience (not that I particularly want another job in retail).

It's driving me crazy and I'm fed up of being told 'oh but we had it worse' by people in their 30s-50s. I'm sorry but, quite frankly, no they didn't. They didn't face 500 applicants for every job, the highest unemployment rates of 16-25 year olds ever, sky-high university fees, PhD students filling all of the entry-level £15k-a-year science jobs they wouldn't have sniffed at 10 years ago, a severe lack of affordable housing, zero availability of mortgages and public housing etc.etc.

I would quite happily take a 15% interest rate on a £40k mortgage right now (the worst point of the last 30 years) over the current choice I have of pay £850 a month rent or have to save up £40k deposit on a salary of £20k a year and then take a £180k mortgage (which I won't get anyway) to be able to afford a one bedroom flat in the county I live in.

It's all very depressing reading as well with this global second recession apparently looming according to our PM. They keep saying 'it's boom and bust, it'll pick up!' - all I'm seeing right now and for at least the next 15 years is bust. Oh well, at least if I end up in rubbish minimum wage jobs forever I'll never have to repay what's left of my student loan!

Comment

yeah that catch-22 drives me crazy too....how do they expect you to get experience if you can't get hired due to a lack of it? it happens here in the States too!

Comment

I'm just finishing my PhD and am looking to get on to a second PhD which will provide me with my best chance of working as academia is about 400 people per junior position and as my PhD was marred by not so fun hospital stays my resume/cv is not going to put me in contention for any of those jobs. The second PhD advertises as you should have one years clinical experience yet I was rejected this year due to lack of experience when I have three years experience and others were rejected for lack of experience with five years. I'm 29 now and am guessing it will be closer to 35 before I get remotely near a stable job. It really isn't a great time not to be a millionaire is it

Comment

Originally posted by cyced View Post
                    I'm just finishing my PhD and am looking to get on to a second PhD which will provide me with my best chance of working as academia is about 400 people per junior position and as my PhD was marred by not so fun hospital stays my resume/cv is not going to put me in contention for any of those jobs. The second PhD advertises as you should have one years clinical experience yet I was rejected this year due to lack of experience when I have three years experience and others were rejected for lack of experience with five years. I'm 29 now and am guessing it will be closer to 35 before I get remotely near a stable job. It really isn't a great time not to be a millionaire is it
                    I feel your pain! It sucks to know you're probs not gonna even have a proper job until at least your 30s!

Comment

Thanks for the green, Fems!

Bah, talking to people on other forums is making me realise what a complete waste of time trying to explain anything to people is lol. "If you can't get the job you want, just go and do something creative like be a theatre manager or a dancer because you dance for a hobby" - yup, that's totally the correct response to 'I'm struggling to get a job using my MSc and am considering doing a PhD because learning a programming language is preferable to working with the public ever again'! I think I *might* be the wrong side of 25 to choose that career option lol.

You know I love you all, right?

Comment

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
                        yeah that catch-22 drives me crazy too....how do they expect you to get experience if you can't get hired due to a lack of it? it happens here in the States too!
                        Yeah, didn't you have loads of issues with that problem too?

Comment

Thanks for the green, Fems!

Bah, talking to people on other forums is making me realise what a complete waste of time trying to explain anything to people is lol. "If you can't get the job you want, just go and do something creative like be a theatre manager or a dancer because you dance for a hobby" - yup, that's totally the correct response to 'I'm struggling to get a job using my MSc and am considering doing a PhD because learning a programming language is preferable to working with the public ever again'! I think I *might* be the wrong side of 25 to choose that career option lol.

You know I love you all, right?
                          Maybe I should go into politics since I enjoy telling people how appallingly wrong they are.

On the other hand, maybe that's not the best idea.

"BRITTA? WHAT KIND OF LAME NAME IS THAT?"

Comment

Originally posted by Britta View Post
                            Maybe I should go into politics since I enjoy telling people how appallingly wrong they are.

On the other hand, maybe that's not the best idea.
                            You'd make a great politician!

More so than I'd make working with the public again at any rate. Is there a drug you can take to cure you of your antisocial, introverted side? I hate speaking to people I don't know though most people think I'm a chatterbox. Probably why I just ramble c**p at them most of the time. I'm incredibly shy and socially anxious though I hide it well apparently. Most days I hate living in my head. Why is the world built towards favouring extroverts? It's incredibly inconvenient.

Comment

You'd make a great politician!
                              Even if I did succeed at making the world a massively better place for everyone, a utopia if you will, I'd probably still go down in history as one of the most despised people of all time.

It's like this...
                              1. Tell everybody how wrong they are.
                              2. Be right.

So many people would never get over that.

"BRITTA? WHAT KIND OF LAME NAME IS THAT?"

Comment

Yeah, didn't you have loads of issues with that problem too?
                                yeah...mostly due to way too much competition in the unskilled labor market ...so eventually I decided to go back to school to learn massage therapy, a more advanced job skill

Comment

Working...
                                X