Sam and Jack Shipper Lounge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ajay View Post
    So why are we so drawn to TV relationships that start at work?
    Probably because we typically follow characters as they go about their work. It's what's interesting. To see the couple together on a regular basis generally requires that they work together which also helps to put them on a relatively equal level from a viewer standpoint. Each character has to be important enough to be worthy of the other.

"BRITTA? WHAT KIND OF LAME NAME IS THAT?"

Comment

It happened to a friend of mine. And her boss. Kinda cringeworthy right? 10 years later, they're still married.

Generally speaking though, it does seem a stupendously bad idea. So why are we so drawn to TV relationships that start at work? Sam/Jack, Mulder/Scully, Castle/Beckett, Moonlighting (forget their names)... to name just a few.
      I think it's the angst that we're drawn to. It's boring if they go "hey I like you" "I like you too" "cool, wanna make out?". There's no build up, no excitement of will they/won't they?, no real feelings at that point just lust.

With David/Maddy (Moonlighting) it was the sexy banter and constant fighting that you just * knew* would make things hot in a different context, with Mulder/Scully it was that they fell so completely in love without it even occurring to them until the first movie and it hit them like a truck in the hallway when we'd all seen it coming for years and were yelling at that bl***y bee and Sam/Jack is the whole package - chemistry in buckets, real feelings, great friends, awesome unit in the field (did u see that sidearm grab in IGTBK?! Seamless!) and that angst that comes from the fact that you know that if they step over that line from CO/subordinate to lovers they'll likely lose their jobs and land themselves in jail.

Edit: just as I was about to hit send, "Walking in Memphis" came on the music channel I'm watching! That's damn spooky! (For anyone who doesn't know, Cher's version is the official X-Files shipper song that Mulder and Scully slow dance to in season 4!)
      Sam and Jack... Still the best romance on TV in years!

My fanfic http://www.fanfiction.net/~drawntotherhythm

Comment

So the guy at work hasn't been feeling well for the past 2 weeks. He went to the hospital last week and they ended up doing surgery. His appendix.

He asked me out today.
        sigpic
        Sig made by Nola
        Latest fic Thin Blue Veil

Comment

It happened to a friend of mine. And her boss. Kinda cringeworthy right? 10 years later, they're still married.

Generally speaking though, it does seem a stupendously bad idea. So why are we so drawn to TV relationships that start at work? Sam/Jack, Mulder/Scully, Castle/Beckett, Moonlighting (forget their names)... to name just a few.
          It happened to me. And my boss. 31 years later we're still a couple! Wow, I just had to triple-check that number because it seems like such a long time but yep, it's been that long and I am that old and even if I still can't believe that, I have the offspring that just plain make me hafta. Anyway, my personal answer to your question is "d) fight for each other and find a way to be together."

Speaking of ... I came to ask you all to send some healing thoughts out to my hubby. He fell from a ladder a few weeks ago and has several fractures. I detailed it at my LiveJournal. He's a tough guy and I've seen him brush off some pretty serious hurt before but this time is scary. I tell him he's getting better and he will heal but he's not believing me. I need some shipper power really bad.

Comment

Originally posted by UhSir View Post
            It happened to me. And my boss. 31 years later we're still a couple! Wow, I just had to triple-check that number because it seems like such a long time but yep, it's been that long and I am that old and even if I still can't believe that, I have the offspring that just plain make me hafta. Anyway, my personal answer to your question is "d) fight for each other and find a way to be together."

Speaking of ... I came to ask you all to send some healing thoughts out to my hubby. He fell from a ladder a few weeks ago and has several fractures. I detailed it at my LiveJournal. He's a tough guy and I've seen him brush off some pretty serious hurt before but this time is scary. I tell him he's getting better and he will heal but he's not believing me. I need some shipper power really bad.
            Healing thoughts sent.
            No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
            It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

*hugs and prayers*

hopefully he managed to avoid injuring his spinal column

Comment

(((hugs))) sending good thoughts your way for you and your "Jack', UhSir! It must be tough for you both right now. We're here if you need to talk or vent. *Goes off to summon the penguin shipper army for reinforcement*

Comment

We like a well-told story with lots of action. Usually having a male AND female lead broaden the appeal to a larger audience (sometimes multiple male/female leads). So, we follow these lead characters around their fictional universe and we develop feelings for them. We want them to be happy, and hey! here is that other lead character who we also want to be happy, and they already have a close bond and good communication...they should be together!

The problem is that in a fictional story, the stage is kinda small, and if the character isn't leading (or very visibly supporting), they kind of fade into the background and we lose interest. It naturally follows that we fall for the chemistry created by the good partnership we see and want them to be together.

O.o

((hugs)) prayers...
                  sigpic
                  sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
                  "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Hey guys I'm totally having a fantasy guy fail over here.

I recently met a guy who looks like Jensen Ackles' twin... except he's a complete **** and it's ruining Supernatural for me It's already bad enough that I got put off Jared Padalecki as he reminds me of an ex who was also a pain in the mik'ta.

Damnit! I'm not having my only remaining under-40 TV eye candy ruined by another Scottish guy who thinks he's God's gift to the universe!

#raging lol

I'm just praying I don't meet anyone who looks remotely like RDA coz then I'm totally out of celebs I can drool over!

Comment

Scottish Evil Twin, more common than you might think.

Comment

Originally posted by Britta View Post
                        Scottish Evil Twin, more common than you might think.
                        Lol well I'm hoping that because Rick is an Anderson and, therefore, Scottish by name, that he's skipped the Scottish evil twin thing! If not I'm doomed to nights curled up in front of the TV with my hot cocoa trying to find some way to make Benedict Cumberbatch attractive to me since he's on every channel and in everything right now. (Sorry Sherlockians, I'm not into otters :s)

Comment

His facial features are as distinctive as his name.

Comment

His facial features are as distinctive as his name.
                            Yep, he's interesting but I can't say I find him hot. He's no Tom Hiddleston, that's for sure!

Comment

I can't say I find either of them hot, but I'm entirely the wrong person to ask.

< Bats for the other team.

Comment

I can't say I find either of them hot, but I'm entirely the wrong person to ask.

< Bats for the other team.
                                Lol, I think if this carries on I'm gonna have to join you!

I think I'd struggle though. I'm the kind of girl who goes into a strip club and thinks 'man, I wish I could do that in those heels!' and drools over the Louboutins rather than the girls. There are literally no hot men on TV these days

My bf jokes that I bat for the other team because I love AT (he's insistent that she's gay despite me explaining that she's married to a man but, to be honest, I'm wondering if that's just wishful thinking on his part - men! I will live to be 100 and *never* understand why they think that women who fancy women will ever be interested in them!)

Comment

Working...
                                X