This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love Belgium!

I'm an American student in Washington, DC and I will be going to Belgium in the Fall Semester of 2006 (September to December) for a study abroad program. I'll be taking class at the Irish Institute for European Affairs in Leuven, and I will also be interning with an MEP in Brussels.

I was just wondering if any Belgian (or Belgian-knowledgeable European) Gaters would be willing to give me some advice about living in Belgium for 4 months. Thanks.
    Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Major Tyler

I am a Belgian Gater ! I would be happy to explain everything. Do you know who is also a Belgian gater? Gilles (Wallpaperman)

Leuven is the city for students !! Most students go to Leuven. Each year I go to Marktrock a festival litterly translated Martrock. Big eventement. All the martplaces are than filled with stages. http://www.marktrock.be There isn't much on it right now but it is in august Click on the button Verslag en Archieve. (Means report and archive) There you can search to the martplaces and the years For the Oude Markt (Old Mart) you have to pay €10 and all the other marts are free ! Check also on the site Sfeerbeelden (Images)

I would diffenatly like to meet you once you are in Leuven ! I don't live there but I was born there ! They have the best hospital of the country ! If you know that I was born allmost 3 months too early and that I am not missing any parts or are just insane like the rest of you gaters It has a lot of pubs there ! It is the city for students. Wish I could go study in Leuven Bit expensive for me) Check this out to for Leuven : http://www.leuven.be/showpage.asp?iPageID=2721

Social security is well arranged in here. They even have a funny comercial airing now on television. About the CNN and a news reporter who had an accident but thanks to the doctors he was better. If you see it it is funny. Tell me what else you would like to know? Euhm perhaps that we use Euro's in here witch has allmost the same rating as a dollar so you won't have that problem

In Leuven they speak Dutch mostly but also French is possible. Here are some words you perhaps need. Alstublieft (please) Dank u (Thank you) You all know one Dutch word from Stargate SG.1 One of the Ancients Oma means actually in Dutch Grandmother Opa means grandfather.

Belgium is a great place to live in. I can asure you.
    Last edited by Lord Zedd; 07 March 2006, 12:45 PM.
    Lord Zedd

Comment

hey a former co-worker and friend of mine studied music in leuven for an entire school year. he loved it and made a lot of friends, you'll be fine.

but if you happen to be hanging out in the flemish speaking part, don't go all french on them. they hate that. i've been to belgium a couple of times. i had family living in aalst. its a nice place.

not really sure about any advice that i could give though. this was a pretty useless post wasn't it?

Comment

The big thing about living in Belgium is remembering to speak the right language. In Leuven especially, there are a lot of tensions about one side impinging on the other. Sociolinguistically speaking, it's incredibly interesting. I'm hoping to move to either Belgium or Holland in the next couple of years.
        Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

I speak English very well, and I speak a little Spanish. My school says that English alone should be fine, but what other language would be the most useful to familiarize myself with? Would French be my best bet? That would probably be the easiest for me to learn since I already know some Spanish. I'm not sure I could learn Flemish.

Comment

I was a Regional Manager for Herta ( a german meat company) when I lived in Germany and I went to Belgium about 5 times a year for 4 years. However, I spoke english only and I did most of my daily work dealings with Americans and some Belgium workers but everyone spoke English. Since I was the liason for the company to the Military commissaries I had that luxery... but I can say that the food was divine...and I stayed each time appx a week to ten days. All of the shops I visited in the evenings, and the places I visited on the weekends had things in english as well. However, I don't know if the fact that I was close to a Military base made that a norm for the area

This was before the Euro...so I am no help in the money arena
            Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Hi, I'm not sure how to help you. But here are my advices.
              That's true that in Leuven they are some language fanatics (flemish). In the past they make the french people get out of the city ... (it was 40 years ago ... ) So, in Leuven (Louvain is the french name), better speak English or flemish. I never went to leuven, French people aren't usually welcome, yeah we live in a crazy country ...
              In Brussels, where I live, better speak French or English. English should be fine but it is fair to try to speak a bit the language of the country, we appreciate it. +/- 90% of the population in Brussels spaek french, 10% speak Dutch.
              1 Euro is a bit more than 1$.
              But it depends of the days, weeks ... some time ago, it was +/- the same ...
              I don't know what else to say.
              Gilles
              http://www.thescifiworld.net

Amanda Tapping interview
              Ben Browder interview
              Beau Bridges interview

Comment

Originally posted by Major Tyler
                I speak English very well, and I speak a little Spanish. My school says that English alone should be fine, but what other language would be the most useful to familiarize myself with? Would French be my best bet? That would probably be the easiest for me to learn since I already know some Spanish. I'm not sure I could learn Flemish.
                well english would be much better than french in flemish speaking parts of belgium. the only problem is that they might think you actually are english.
                the first time we went there, we noticed in a restraunt that we were getting a slightly frosty attitude. then the waiter heard us say something about ireland, or being irish and the attitude changed completely. he said he thought we were english. it was really weird.

the next time we went over, my dad wore and irish tricolour pin on his lapel. much friendlier reception.

it would be good to learn a little french though if you're going to be in brussels a lot.

apparently flemish is easy enough to pick up. you should be able to learn a little just by being there. i'm sure if you expressed an interest in learning it, the people you meet would be more than happy to teach you.
                for the most part i have found belgian people to be extremely nice and friendly.

Comment

A lot of people are frosty with Americans, yeah. I don't get too much hassle when I'm abroad because most people assume I'm Dutch (except when I'm speaking Dutch, then they know I'm English). But when I speak Dutch I've never had a problem, because I'm making the effort to speak their language. It's very rare they hear an English speak speaking Dutch.
                  Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

no. think about it. canada, french canadian, french....

no, i'm sure being an american is fine. just be yourself really. (and don't mention the war ...any of them! )

||
                    \/

Comment

Originally posted by stargate barbie
                      the first time we went there, we noticed in a restraunt that we were getting a slightly frosty attitude. then the waiter heard us say something about ireland, or being irish and the attitude changed completely. he said he thought we were english. it was really weird.
                      Do you think that they would be even more frosty to Americans? Should I just claim to be Canadian? I know enough about Canada that I could pull it off.

As for speaking French, I'll tell them I'm from an Alberta farm and not very bright, LOL. (No offense to Albertians, but I'm from Montana and know loads of them. )

*Starts practising*

Okay, the PM is Stephen Harper. Next...memorize anthem *ahem* "Oh, Canada, our home and native land..."

Comment

Do you think that they would be even more frosty to Americans? Should I just claim to be Canadian? I know enough about Canada that I could pull it off.
                        Hey, I have no problem with irish, english, americans or canadians
                        Sure I can't speak for everybody but in Brussels they are a lot of foreigners.
                        Brussels is the capital of Europe, so many people can speak English.

I can't speak for Leuven, they have another mentality, can't help for there.
                        Gilles

Amanda Tapping interview
                        Ben Browder interview
                        Beau Bridges interview

Comment

Originally posted by stargate barbie
                          no, i'm sure being an american is fine. just be yourself really. (and don't mention the war ...any of them! )
                          I'm on your side about the war, so maybe that will make them like me.

Comment

Originally posted by Wallpaperman
                            Hey, I have no problem with irish, english, americans or canadians
                            Awesome! Do you want to hang out sometime when I get over there?

Comment

Awesome! Do you want to hang out sometime when I get over there?
                              Why not, this is an opportunity to practize my English
                              Gilles

Amanda Tapping interview
                              Ben Browder interview
                              Beau Bridges interview

Comment

Working...
                              X