No announcement yet.

Calling all Scots!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I seem to remember a line about Scottish martial arts in the Mike Myers comedy So I Married An Axe Murderer? "It's called f**k you, and seems to involve kicking people when they're down..."

Anyway, there was a story in my local paper a week or two ago that'll either have you laughing your bums off, shaking your heads in despair, or both.

On my part of the Clyde, there's the wreck of a sugar ship that ran aground and almost sank in a storm about 30-odd years ago (it been there for as long as I can remember anyway). It lies on a sandbank on it's port side, happily rusting away, bothering no one.
    Recently, Clyde Coastguard had to bring several people off the wreck for their own safety.
    What were they doing there? Five adults (and I use the term loosely), two kids and (wait for it) a dog, were having a picnic...
    Not only that, they were using a camping stove to cook food, they had no safety gear at all - and, to use a direct quote from the article "Alcohol was believed to be involved."

I've no idea what happened to them, but hopefully someone called the Police and the RSPCA.

Potential entrants for the Darwin Awards next year methinks...
    sigpic
    Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
    To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
    And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Alright, i thought i'd keep this thread going by asking a question...

It's already been asked in the "calling all brits thread" but people here should be a bit more experienced! What do you prefer on your chips??? I prefer salt 'n' vinegar myself. The thing i want to know is, IMHO it's superior with vinegar, why do folk on the east coast put Salt 'n' Sauce on theirs!? I can even see something like mayo on the side, but i just don't see the appeal! Anyone from the east coast like Edinburgh or Kircaldy, speak up!!
      Last edited by Anubis69; 04 September 2005, 06:18 AM. Reason: I was bad at Geography!!

The center of Khlysty surrounds me

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis69
        Anyone from the west coast like Edinburgh or Kircaldy, speak up!!
        Ermm.... isn't Edinburgh on the east coast? lol From an "east coast" perspective anyway - it HAS to be salt and sauce, yum. Its bland without it. I was so upset when we were on holiday in the lakes and we had to have a chippy without sauce.

Comment

Originally posted by Sha're
          Ermm.... isn't Edinburgh on the east coast? lol
          Ah crap. eh.....typo!......other things on my mind!......not good at multi-tasking!..... All of the above!!..... I feel like a right cretin!

The center of Khlysty surrounds me

Comment

I'm from Stirling, and Salt and Sauce it is.

Now with added lesbians.

Comment

salt 'n vinegar for me....not that I eat from the chippy because the chippies here are awful.

Comment

Salt and Vinegar

and before anyone starts complaining about my location
                Originally posted by sueKay
                Qasim...you can be an honourary Scot!
                gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by qasimjavid
                  Salt and Vinegar

and before anyone starts complaining about my location
                  Well at least the Welsh are a Celtic race.

Now with added lesbians.

Comment

Salt'n'vinegar...no way am I paying 30p for one sachet a ketchup!

One thing I don't like about being scottish is having to change the way I speak when speaking to non-scots...wish people'd learn scots when they come here!

Yup...golfers and their entourages and supporters are good tippers
                    sigpic
                    Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

piccys o loch lomond...

http://spaces.msn.com/members/suekay87

just click on the second album
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sueKay
                        Salt'n'vinegar...no way am I paying 30p for one sachet a ketchup!

One thing I don't like about being scottish is having to change the way I speak when speaking to non-scots...wish people'd learn scots when they come here!
                        30p for ketchup - man that's bad Sauce should be free whatever the flavour.

When I was at school, we were always shouted at for speaking Scottish - like not pronouncing our t's correctly. I love the Scottish accent, but then I am biased. What used to really get on my wick when I worked in a shop was tourists refusing to take Scottish notes (not even just pound notes all notes).

Comment

Originally posted by Sha're
                          Sauce should be free whatever the flavour.
                          Indeed luckily for me my auntie owns a chip shop so everything is free for me
                          gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                          so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                          love Torri

Comment

^ Lucky you Qasim. Seriously I'd give my right arm for a decent bag of chips, they really are awful up here... Best chips I ever had were when I lived in the midlands, the chips and curry sauce were to die for.

Comment

Used to be able to get excellent chips and gravy in Arbroath - REAL gravy not watery Bisto rubbish. No chippys round here do chips with gravy or curry sauce

Comment

Sha're I work at Loch Lomond Shores and the dirty looks I get if I give tourists or non-scots Scottish money in their change.

And it's legal tender!

As for chips...My friend's mum owns a local chinese takeway, so while I don't get free chippy chips...I get free chinese chips
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X