Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

August 2 episode:

Spoiler:
    It just goes to show that you don't need all kinds of fighting and explosions to make a good show. Tonight's was very quiet, but also very intense and emotional. Most of the time spent between Captain Chandler and the President, but with little bits of other crew members thrown in.

Comment

There seriously needs to be a Chandler Thunk Thread. I'm happily married for the past 20 years, but boy howdy. That guy's all that AND the proverbial bag of chips.

And yes, Hedwig - last night's episode brought a new level of humanity to the fight.

Spoiler:

I'm not a huge fan of the President--I'm not even certain he is the rightful President--but to have done what he did was heartbreaking. I can't imagine that's not going to bite him in the butt again and again. And kudos to Chandler for being able to keep at him until he admitted it. That gives insight into both men, in my opinion.
      sigpic
      My Stories: FFdotNet
      My Stories AO3
      Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
        August 2 episode:

Spoiler:
        It just goes to show that you don't need all kinds of fighting and explosions to make a good show. Tonight's was very quiet, but also very intense and emotional. Most of the time spent between Captain Chandler and the President, but with little bits of other crew members thrown in.
        Part of it felt slow to me, but the other parts of it i absolutely loved. GREAT acting by the whole cast, especially chandler and the potus dude..

Comment

this president doesnt even seem half the leader chandler is, I mean 17th in the line you cant expect much, bit of a battlestar galactica vibe in that situation

Comment

Originally posted by dosed150 View Post
            this president doesnt even seem half the leader chandler is, I mean 17th in the line you cant expect much, bit of a battlestar galactica vibe in that situation
            He's not. I did find it interesting that Chandler watched his testimony before the committee in order to ascertain what kind of leader POTUS might be, and what kind of leader he was before the Plague. Chandler likes to know what he's facing, and behind whom he's throwing his support. It also shows what kind of man Chandler is - that he is thoughtful and still honors his commitment to the Constitution. I appreciate that kind of guy.

I'm glad that the creators didn't go all Clancy on the show, making the main character the POTUS (although I don't doubt that it might come to that). Thus far, I'm appreciating that Chandler is sticking with his initial duties, which are to defend the country and fulfill the orders set forth by his leadership.
            sigpic
            My Stories AO3

Comment

Originally posted by Akamaimom View Post
              He's not. I did find it interesting that Chandler watched his testimony before the committee in order to ascertain what kind of leader POTUS might be, and what kind of leader he was before the Plague. Chandler likes to know what he's facing, and behind whom he's throwing his support. It also shows what kind of man Chandler is - that he is thoughtful and still honors his commitment to the Constitution. I appreciate that kind of guy.

I'm glad that the creators didn't go all Clancy on the show, making the main character the POTUS (although I don't doubt that it might come to that). Thus far, I'm appreciating that Chandler is sticking with his initial duties, which are to defend the country and fulfill the orders set forth by his leadership.
              And i loved that he gave over one of his 2 staterooms to be converted into a Presidential bunker of sorts.

Though does this now mean the Nathan James needs to get renamed, like any plane does if the POTUS comes aboard into AF1.?

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                And i loved that he gave over one of his 2 staterooms to be converted into a Presidential bunker of sorts.

Though does this now mean the Nathan James needs to get renamed, like any plane does if the POTUS comes aboard into AF1.?
                I don't know. I'm assuming that, since the Navy is so heavily involved in the show, that it'll work that detail into the show. I think that calling itself that would be like painting an even larger target on the ship, though.
                sigpic
                My Stories AO3

Comment

I am retired Navy and I must say they doing very good job with this show! I like to see if anyone is interested in doing costuming too I can help with that!
                  www.stitchsloft.com
                  For your out of this world prop and costume needs

sigpic
                  "THAT'S... Lt. Col, Errand Boy to you..." Lt. Col John Sheppard
                  www.scifihero.net

Comment

Hi there guys and girls,
                    first off it's great to see fellow fans of this great show.
                    During my watching of the second season a couple of questions have been raised in my head concerning the disposition of the rest of the US navies vessels, mainly the Aircraft Carriers and the ballistic missile/ hunter killer subs??

The main questions are were are the Aircraft carriers and the Submarines??
                    If your current with the show the USS Nathan James a block 2A Arleigh Burke class destroyer is being hunted by The HMS Achilles a British Astute Class nuclear powered hunter killer Submarine crewed by a bunch of crazy people [immunes].

My thought is shouldn't they find the first block 3 Virginia Class submarine [USS North Dakota SSN-784] and put her to sea to hunt down the Achilles [along with finding the surviving submariners/shellbacks to crew her] or 1 of the Seawolf class dedicated Hunter Killer submarines?? Because it takes a sub to hunt and kill a sub.

As for the Aircraft carriers they should find them all and have them docked and Norfolk naval base to secure all the nuclear powered surface vessels because it would be a massive threat to them if a Nimitz class were to fall into the hands of the crazies [immunes] group who could crew it from the surviving members of the European navies that have aircraft carriers/carrier experience.

What are your thoughts on these subjects??

Comment

Originally posted by Cmdr Sean Coll View Post
                      Hi there guys and girls,
                      During my watching of the second season a couple of questions have been raised in my head concerning the disposition of the rest of the US navies vessels, mainly the Aircraft Carriers and the ballistic missile/ hunter killer subs??

If your current with the show the USS Nathan James a block 2A Arleigh Burke class destroyer is being hunted by The HMS Achilles a British Astute Class nuclear powered hunter killer Submarine crewed by a bunch of crazy people [immunes].

My thought is shouldn't they find the first block 3 Virginia Class submarine [USS North Dakota SSN-784] and put her to sea to hunt down the Achilles [along with finding the surviving submariners/shellbacks to crew her] or 1 of the Seawolf class dedicated Hunter Killer submarines?? Because it takes a sub to hunt and kill a sub.

As for the Aircraft carriers they should find them all and have them docked and Norfolk naval base to secure all the nuclear powered surface vessels because it would be a massive threat to them if a Nimitz class were to fall into the hands of the crazies [immunes] group who could crew it from the surviving members of the European navies that have aircraft carriers/carrier experience.

My guess is that it all boils down to manpower and command structure. Are there enough military people left who know how to do these things? Maybe, but it would also take someone with knowledge of command and the complexities of the crafts to be able to take charge. That might be where the POTUS (if he really IS potus) might be able to rally the forces necessary to set things in motion.
                      sigpic
                      My Stories AO3

Comment

Maybe they were all in port and due to the # of deaths from the disease, they don't have the man power to make any sea worthy?

Comment

Hi there guys and girls,

I think this is an area where we have to accept that some things won't make sense because it's a TV show.

Considering that SSN's, particularly the Boomers spend most of their patrol time submerged and isolated from all other life on earth, and carrier strike groups are also similarly isolated at sea, it stands to reason that at least some of them would have escaped infection. It simply does not make sense that the Nathan James was the only surviving warship.

The thought that a U.S. carrier strike group might come under the control of immunes or any other form of crazies is a harrowing one indeed. One of those strike groups is the military superior to all but 3? other nations on Earth as it stands today, uninfected. In a decimated world such as portrayed in this show, it would be an unstoppable force.

Comment

Hi there guys and girls,

I think this is an area where we have to accept that some things won't make sense because it's a TV show.

Considering that SSN's, particularly the Boomers spend most of their patrol time submerged and isolated from all other life on earth, and carrier strike groups are also similarly isolated at sea, it stands to reason that at least some of them would have escaped infection. It simply does not make sense that the Nathan James was the only surviving warship.

The thought that a U.S. carrier strike group might come under the control of immunes or any other form of crazies is a harrowing one indeed. One of those strike groups is the military superior to all but 3? other nations on Earth as it stands today, uninfected. In a decimated world such as portrayed in this show, it would be an unstoppable force.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post

Being a carrier jock myself, while yes their fuel status can mean they can spend months at sea, their FOOD status is another kettle of fish..
                              IIRC the show is what, 4-5 months into this pandemic? By that time a carrier group would have had to hit port at least 2 times to restock, if not more.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                                Being a carrier jock myself, while yes their fuel status can mean they can spend months at sea, their FOOD status is another kettle of fish..
                                IIRC the show is what, 4-5 months into this pandemic? By that time a carrier group would have had to hit port at least 2 times to restock, if not more.
                                I thought they restocked in Guantanamo (although that might just have been fuel) and they probably would have after they defeated Granderson's regime. They've been in and out of ports several times in this time period. My guess is that we're supposed to assume that, off camera, other teams are sent to procure food, toiletries, and other supplies.
                                sigpic
                                My Stories AO3

Comment

Working...
                                X