No announcement yet.

Deadliest Catch Discussion, Appreciation, Letching Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cods are fish... so just looks like normal fish to me - let me google it.

hmm, nope, still looks like normal fish to me... and it tastes delicious *yummy* fish'n'chips - i'd kill for it right now...

oh yeah, the hering thing. have you seen the ep when Sig had to do it? xD but most disgusting thing is when Edgar eats the beating heart of a cod... *ieeww*

Comment

see, i'm a midwesterner, i don't much care for fish. the whole 'lobster' thing is lost on me. it doesn't taste any better than $3 a pound shrimp

there was a dirty jobs when mike worked on a fish cannery, they had a gourmet meal....cod sperm, cod eyes, octopus....lots of stuff i wouldn't eat

how about that shot of edgar wrestling with a flounder?

tonight's looks interesting, it looks like they get into some heavy weather.it's fascinating to watch the waves batter those boats
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

One of the reasons I really enjoy this show is because it truly IS a reality show. These guys actually do this for a living. Its not some producer sitting in an office thinking "Hey I have an idea..lets make a groups of guys do this for money."

These guys are the real deal. The show is just showing them doing it day in and day out. Sure they edit it to take out the monotony of some days and they do try to keep it exciting by showing all the pots coming up full or empty, the tempers flying and the various Captains acting goofy or having a moment But they really make it hit home just how hard this job is.

Another reason I enjoy it is because its a show Hubs will sit and watch with me and really get into as well that is not a drama. We don't feel the need to discuss or dissect what the plot is or where we think the show is going as the season progresses. We both just sit there amazed some days at the sheer will-power these guys can have. Also the fact that they put their lives on the line for their job and both of us have shed more then one or two tears over the years of the show.

The only thing Hubs doesn't get out it....is all the letching I get to do and he just rolls his eyes at me
        Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
          see, i'm a midwesterner, i don't much care for fish. the whole 'lobster' thing is lost on me. it doesn't taste any better than $3 a pound shrimp
          me neither xD i'm not a fan of shellfish at all. I just love cod because i ate it a lot when i was in England. funny, i ate as much fish in 3 months there than i usually eat in one year

there was a dirty jobs when mike worked on a fish cannery, they had a gourmet meal....cod sperm, cod eyes, octopus....lots of stuff i wouldn't eat
          iew - nope, haven't seen that one yet. though i probably should, sounds interesting. wasn't there an episode about crab fishing in bering sea as well. didn't DC start because of Mike doing n episode up there?
          how about that shot of edgar wrestling with a flounder?
          OMG it was Edgar? i always wondered who that could be. was it in an episode or in this Bering Sea Demetia video at the end of season 4? there are so many cool clips in there and i don't remember one appearing in an episode
          tonight's looks interesting, it looks like they get into some heavy weather.it's fascinating to watch the waves batter those boats
          hmm, that's going to be interesting. though i'll have to wait a little longer til i can see the episode.
          It's always fascinating how dangerous these waves can be, though they really don't look like it. The one wave that hit the Wizard and hurt Monte, Lynn and another guy was really impressive. I'm so glad that Lynn wasn't flushed into the sea. he looked very vulnerable on the stack of pots.

edit:

ah, you were too fast Tame

Originally posted by TameFarrar View Post
          One of the reasons I really enjoy this show is because it truly IS a reality show. These guys actually do this for a living. Its not some producer sitting in an office thinking "Hey I have an idea..lets make a groups of guys do this for money."

These guys are the real deal. The show is just showing them doing it day in and day out. Sure they edit it to take out the monotony of some days and they do try to keep it exciting by showing all the pots coming up full or empty, the tempers flying and the various Captains acting goofy or having a moment But they really make it hit home just how hard this job is.

Another reason I enjoy it is because its a show Hubs will sit and watch with me and really get into as well that is not a drama. We don't feel the need to discuss or dissect what the plot is or where we think the show is going as the season progresses. We both just sit there amazed some days at the sheer will-power these guys can have. Also the fact that they put their lives on the line for their job and both of us have shed more then one or two tears over the years of the show.

The only thing Hubs doesn't get out it....is all the letching I get to do and he just rolls his eyes at me
          yep, so true. even if the show would be cancelled they'd be still fishermen and risking their lives out there.

but i read something about how they cut things to get a story. It was on the Maverick and one reason they're not on the show anymore: Blake wanted to be the skipper of the boat but Rick decided not to let him skipper his boat for one season. And of course Blake was a little frustrated and left the boat afterwards. But he left the boat because his father had cancer, and not because he was refused to be in the wheelhouse. And there was another thing when he finally was captain of the Maverick (in Opi season?) and something about a hot spot Phil advised him. i don't remember exactly what discovery did but after that the Maverick wasn't in DC anymore...
          Last edited by Fainne; 21 July 2009, 05:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fainne View Post

edit:

ah, you were too fast Tame
            I was ??? with what
            Originally posted by Fainne

yep, so true. even if the show would be cancelled they'd be still fishermen and risking their lives out there.

but i read something about how they cut things to get a story. It was on the Maverick and one reason they're not on the show anymore: Blake wanted to be the skipper of the boat but Rick decided not to let him skipper his boat for one season. And of course Blake was a little frustrated and left the boat afterwards. But he left the boat because his father had cancer, and not because he was refused to be in the wheelhouse. And there was another thing when he finally was captain of the Maverick (in Opi season?) and something about a hot spot Phil advised him. i don't remember exactly what discovery did but after that the Maverick wasn't in DC anymore...
            Actually that isn't really true they did explain all that on the show as well and we did see it eventually. But you are right about it being a *Drama moment* during that time. Later on though they do explain things when Blake came back on and they showed what he had been up to and explained about his Dad
            He (Blake) also did say part of the reason he stayed away longer though was Rick's decision.

However, personally I was not a fan of Blake. The deal with the *Hot Spot* was that Phil is a partner with the Maverick I thought and Phil gave him some information and then Blake gave the information out on the open radio. Phil was ticked off since it was his (Phil's) private information or Hot spot and if Phil wanted to give it out he would have been fine, but he (Phil) said that the fact that Blake gave the info out when Phil was just trying to help him out was annoying to him (Phil). So even though they tried to make it into a *drama moment* it didn't really seem like a huge one....just the guys being annoyed with each other and THAT happens all the time

I am sure they do edit the show to try to make the conflict seem bigger then it is sometimes since to Discovery that is probably a big thing. I personally get tired of that and am more interested in how it all works well together ad seeing them working out various issues like break-downs, dealing with not catching anything and the guys who don't *get it*
            Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

i'm sure they creatively edit stuff. just as i know the camera men ask the captains about stuff to get a reaction.

but, all in all, it is a real reality show (survivor, big brother, all that crap is scripted junk)

ice road truckers, to a lesser extent, is real. these people out doing their jobs.

the fishing and our unfamiliarity with it is what makes DC so interesting.

sometimes i wish they were better with 'day 23' 'day 58' etc, how long are they really out there

sigpic

Comment

Oh man I too wish we knew better just how long they are out there and how long the fishing seasons are...and what do they all do in the other times. I know some of them go and fish for other stuff, WHAT?? and who does that... Yes I want to get all up in their business LOLOLOL

Comment

LOL i read that Jake Harris fishes Cod or Salmon in summer. Matt and Sig as well. I think Sig fishes on another boat in summer and leaves the NW in Seattle. i just hope my memories serve me right i really need to bookmark the articles i read

Comment

remember ladies, sorry, but it's bad luck to have a woman on a crab boat

Comment

but a number of the ships have women on them and the one ship had really good luck when the captain had his Nordic wife on

Comment

i think a lot of the boats fish other stuff than crab

look at edgar. if he pockets 30-50K for king and opie, that's at most 6 months out of hte year. pretty good for a few month's work (and i've wondered if, as deck boss, edgar gets more than the average deckhand share)

sigpic

Comment

so spoilers for tonght's episode

Spoiler:
                          russell got canned off the time bandit, then hired on the Wizard. I can't disagree with what jonathan dfid, seriously russ has coasted for a while, but i do think andy and jonathan were OTT with thier attitude. Mike couldn't hear them, lose the attitude and stop with this 'mine is bigger' attitude

I'm wondering if next week's episode will be all about 'the storm' seeing as how they're building it up, 72 hours before the storm, 48 hours before the storm, etc

wow, look at that wind and all the ice and the waves.

man, next week's is gonna be a tense one

ooh, and it's emmy nominated now? sweet, congrats to them

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Morbo View Post
                            remember ladies, sorry, but it's bad luck to have a woman on a crab boat
                            well i didn't consider seriously to hire on a crabboat. and imo the captain decides weather it's bad luck or not. it depends on how sperstitous these men are. they also turn it the way they like. Sig once said if a woman relieves herself on the stack of pots it's good luck.
                            Originally posted by TameFarrar View Post
                            but a number of the ships have women on them and the one ship had really good luck when the captain had his Nordic wife on
                            yep, Ragnhild Moncrief. She even got her own pink hook xD and she proofed a sense for crabs.
                            but in the end she also said that there's not much to do for a woman on a crabboat. it's too heavy work, but i think she made a great job as a boat mom.
                            i think a lot of the boats fish other stuff than crab

look at edgar. if he pockets 30-50K for king and opie, that's at most 6 months out of hte year. pretty good for a few month's work (and i've wondered if, as deck boss, edgar gets more than the average deckhand share)
                            true. I think they'll also make a lot extra money with selling all the fanstuff, like the ale, the fish, Helly Hansen, the game. tbh i don't really like how they sell their names. i mean it's good for them, taking the chances they get etc. but i fear they're selling themselves.
                            so spoilers for tonght's episode

Spoiler:
                            russell got canned off the time bandit, then hired on the Wizard. I can't disagree with what jonathan dfid, seriously russ has coasted for a while, but i do think andy and jonathan were OTT with thier attitude. Mike couldn't hear them, lose the attitude and stop with this 'mine is bigger' attitude

I'm wondering if next week's episode will be all about 'the storm' seeing as how they're building it up, 72 hours before the storm, 48 hours before the storm, etc

wow, look at that wind and all the ice and the waves.

man, next week's is gonna be a tense one

ooh, and it's emmy nominated now? sweet, congrats to them
                            *must not click on spoilers* *must not click on spoilers*

really? a heavy storm? geez - i hope no boat/man will be lost...

they're nominated? how cool is that! *crosses fingers*

Comment

oh my lawd i havent watched deadliest catch in ages! not since the third series anyway. LOL the northwestern crew are mental. have you seen what they do to get good luck? eating a raw mackrels head *pukes*
                              sigpic

I'm not dead. Yet.

Comment

hey Susanne yeah, hate it when they eat the hering head. but i laughed when sig had to do it xD

Comment

Working...
                                X