Originally posted by Linda06 View Post
            Spoiler:
            Someone painted the ship Pink? I bet it was Jayne
            Spoiler:
            Yeah, he got paid good money for it.
            sigpic
            Save a Man-of-War, ride a Commodore.

Comment

Okay, I'm not sure I've posted here before, but I'm just gonna drop by and rant a bit. See, I've been watching since day one, and I still love the show, even with the cast change with the Capt, but there is one huge pet peeve that I have that's nagging at me.

Sir. Not ma'am-- SIR. It'd be one thing if Gates wanted to make a stand to be gender non-specific and go for the "Captain" title only, but noooooo... SIR.

And I wanted to kick Beckett when she went with it no protest. I *wanted* her to go: "With all due respect, Captain, but no. I won't call you Sir. Because as much as I admire your strength, I won't denegrate the rest of the female police force by helping you pretend that you can't hack it as a female...." or something equally respectful, but firm.

I mean seriously! Demanding to be called sir tells ME that she's not comfortable being a woman, despite the fact that Beckett is one of the finest detectives the NYPD has to offer (even as a female) and the fact that Gates herself has climbed the rungs like a pro and commanded the respect of who knows how many police officers and detectives.

She's a woman in boy's club. She should own that, and be a beacon for all other female police officers/detectives. She shouldn't cheapen herself by spurning "ma'am" for "sir". Go for just "captain" if she's feeling crusade-ish. But the "sir" only further reinforces that only men have the power necessary to make it in the police force.

But that's just me. And I'm military, so that might bias me and make the "ma'am" more okay than for others.

And... *end rant*.

P.S. Despite the rant, I'm actually starting to like Gates. She's growing on me.

BTW, the "concrete evidence" pun Castle delivered last episode had me laughing all through the credits. Well, it might have been his eager little "badum shish" moment as he looked for recognition after. Either way, it was hilarious.

Comment

Originally posted by selene0789 View Post
                Okay, I'm not sure I've posted here before, but I'm just gonna drop by and rant a bit. See, I've been watching since day one, and I still love the show, even with the cast change with the Capt, but there is one huge pet peeve that I have that's nagging at me.

Sir. Not ma'am-- SIR. It'd be one thing if Gates wanted to make a stand to be gender non-specific and go for the "Captain" title only, but noooooo... SIR.

And I wanted to kick Beckett when she went with it no protest. I *wanted* her to go: "With all due respect, Captain, but no. I won't call you Sir. Because as much as I admire your strength, I won't denegrate the rest of the female police force by helping you pretend that you can't hack it as a female...." or something equally respectful, but firm.

I mean seriously! Demanding to be called sir tells ME that she's not comfortable being a woman, despite the fact that Beckett is one of the finest detectives the NYPD has to offer (even as a female) and the fact that Gates herself has climbed the rungs like a pro and commanded the respect of who knows how many police officers and detectives.

She's a woman in boy's club. She should own that, and be a beacon for all other female police officers/detectives. She shouldn't cheapen herself by spurning "ma'am" for "sir". Go for just "captain" if she's feeling crusade-ish. But the "sir" only further reinforces that only men have the power necessary to make it in the police force.

But that's just me. And I'm military, so that might bias me and make the "ma'am" more okay than for others.

And... *end rant*.

P.S. Despite the rant, I'm actually starting to like Gates. She's growing on me.

BTW, the "concrete evidence" pun Castle delivered last episode had me laughing all through the credits. Well, it might have been his eager little "badum shish" moment as he looked for recognition after. Either way, it was hilarious.
                Actually, Gates' attitude is very typical of first generation feminists. The early movement and the women of her generation who made it in male professions did it by denying their femininity. In fact there are documented studies of the schism between the older and younger generations of feminists because younger women have made choices to embrace their feminity and female roles as a part of their independence and equality. The older generation feel that their sacrifices and successes are being denigrated by women who decry their adoption of male norms (such as being called SIR). There are a lot of things I don't like about Gates, but I can tell you that as a (somewhat) younger woman who has worked with older women who made their way in a male profession she is written very true to form. And Beckett refusing to call her "Sir" would be viewed by Gates as beyond disrespectful it would be personally insulting. That's no way to start things off with your new boss.

Comment

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
                  Actually, Gates' attitude is very typical of first generation feminists. The early movement and the women of her generation who made it in male professions did it by denying their femininity. In fact there are documented studies of the schism between the older and younger generations of feminists because younger women have made choices to embrace their feminity and female roles as a part of their independence and equality. The older generation feel that their sacrifices and successes are being denigrated by women who decry their adoption of male norms (such as being called SIR). There are a lot of things I don't like about Gates, but I can tell you that as a (somewhat) younger woman who has worked with older women who made their way in a male profession she is written very true to form. And Beckett refusing to call her "Sir" would be viewed by Gates as beyond disrespectful it would be personally insulting. That's no way to start things off with your new boss.
                  I can understand that, I guess... and I suppose Beckett did have more important things on her mind at the time.

But I think I've been spoiled by watching Stargate. Sam Carter was never called "sir"... Heheheheh...

And now that I think about it, I think she and Beckett could have been friends! And then Castle would try to flirt with her, but then Jack would show up, and then the two men would hit it off while the girls rolled their eyes... But Carter would be declared off limits very early on, methinks .

That would make an interesting fanfic! And Castle would have a blast trying to figure out the national conspiracy that is the stargate, heheheheh....

Comment

But I think I've been spoiled by watching Stargate. Sam Carter was never called "sir"... Heheheheh...
                    While I could be wrong, I think Walter called Sam "Sir" in one episode; don't remember which one at the moment, though. It sounded very strange, too.

Comment

Oh thank goodness someone else finds it weird hearing woman being called sir. I thought it was just me
                      sigpic

Comment

Oh thank goodness someone else finds it weird hearing woman being called sir. I thought it was just me
                        See and for the life of me, I can't figure out why people think it's so weird. I mean, if that's what she wants to be called then so be it. But then again, I'm more of a "what floats your boat" kinda person so that could be why.

And didn't Gates tell Beckett to either call her "Sir" or "Captain"?? Or am I imagining things?

sigpic
                        Coming January 2017

Comment

Originally posted by m&mnm317 View Post
                          See and for the life of me, I can't figure out why people think it's so weird. I mean, if that's what she wants to be called then so be it. But then again, I'm more of a "what floats your boat" kinda person so that could be why.

And didn't Gates tell Beckett to either call her "Sir" or "Captain"?? Or am I imagining things?
                          I never heard a woman being called sir before until Star trek voyager, when Janeway said something like never call her ma'am, and call her sir at a push. I was like "!Huh?" I never understood why I woman would prefer to be called sir to ma'am. I always thought sir was a man. I mean when the Queen gives knightghoods out I never heard of a woman geting a "Sir". I just always thought a man was sir., *shrugs*
                          sigpic

Comment

See, it'd be different if there were no female equivalent of sir, which would then make sir a non gender specific honorific. But there is. To me, Ma'am is just as good as sir. Maybe it's as hlndncr says, I'm too young to appreciate the first wave of feminism.

But yeah... I've had to come to terms with the fact that I'm a woman in the military, but I've been lucky in the fact that between my drill instructors (who had male recruits nearly peeing themselves they were so intimidating) and the strong females in the Stargate franchise and such, I've never seen "ma'am" as a derogative.

Sure, the tone in which it's used says it all, but if some guy drawls a "ma'am" with elevator eyes or something, then that guy is gonna wish he'd never come to work that day.

Comment

I never heard a woman being called sir before until Star trek voyager, when Janeway said something like never call her ma'am, and call her sir at a push. I was like "!Huh?" I never understood why I woman would prefer to be called sir to ma'am. I always thought sir was a man. I mean when the Queen gives knightghoods out I never heard of a woman geting a "Sir". I just always thought a man was sir., *shrugs*
                              It just...It seems to match her personality to me. *shrugs*

sigpic
                              Coming January 2017

Comment

See, it'd be different if there were no female equivalent of sir, which would then make sir a non gender specific honorific. But there is. To me, Ma'am is just as good as sir. Maybe it's as hlndncr says, I'm too young to appreciate the first wave of feminism.

But yeah... I've had to come to terms with the fact that I'm a woman in the military, but I've been lucky in the fact that between my drill instructors (who had male recruits nearly peeing themselves they were so intimidating) and the strong females in the Stargate franchise and such, I've never seen "ma'am" as a derogative.

Sure, the tone in which it's used says it all, but if some guy drawls a "ma'am" with elevator eyes or something, then that guy is gonna wish he'd never come to work that day.
                                I don't know what's so wrong with ma'am *shrugs* If guys want to be jackasses about the use of ma'am that's their problem

Originally posted by m&mnm317 View Post
                                It just...It seems to match her personality to me. *shrugs*
                                Guess I'll always find it weird hearing a woman being called sir *shrugs* It's kinda distracting
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X