Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chocolatequeen View Post
    Found it!

Sweets: It's awesome! It's like the Sith Lords man, there's always only two of them.
    Booth: Did you just "Star Wars" us?
    Yay! The "did you just Star Wars us?" just caused an absolute eruption of laughter when we were watching. Priceless. Boreanaz is so good at delivering those lines.

Comment

Originally posted by Chocolatequeen View Post
      Aww dagnabit! Now I'll have to go back to taping it! *sigh* Oh well... I guess the world can't always bow to my every whim. Having my two favorite shows back to back on my night off was apparently asking too much...

Now for the finale.

Spoiler:
      Though I was certain it was Sweets, the spoilers earlier this week about the cast list for next year made it obvious I was wrong. In lieu of Sweets, Zack was my next option. He was young and impressionable, the perfect mark for a manipulative criminal mastermind. The team can blame themselves for the various bits of it all they want, but the real person to blame is Gormagon. He took advantage of a sweet kid's desire to make the world a better place. I'm glad at least that he never ate anyone... that would just be too much, to picture our Zack eating someone.

I was disappointed with the opening teaser. The whole "Booth is dead/fake funeral" thing deserved its own episode. They could have done an entire story about the random bad guy who swore he'd only come out of hiding for his funeral. They could have focused on the team's reaction, they could have shown Sweets thinking about calling Bones and then not doing so... it was just brushed under the carpet so quickly. After the buildup they gave it, I was disappointed.

However, I thought there were some great shippy moments. Booth and Brennan really know each other well now, and both of them showed that in this story. He especially understands how she works. He knows when to give her time and when to press her, and when it has to be him that goes after her and when it should be Ange. He just gets her in a way no one else does, and it makes me smile.

Mary, I'm not surprised you were hoping for more H/C...
      You know me so well . . .

I agree that the you-know-what at the beginning should have been an episode of its own. It would have been a great one, too, just as you described it!

Originally posted by Lizlove View Post
      Hurt/comfort:
      A story in which one of the characters is physically or emotionally hurt (injured, sick or tortured) and the other character (before or after rescuing them) has to comfort the first one. This form of story goes across many fandoms, and certain characters are favourites for making the victim of the author's sadistic whims. Blair from Sentinel, Daniel from Stargate SG-1 and Avon from Blake's 7 to name a few. Also called h/c for short.
      (http://www.katspace.org/fandom/fandef#HurtComfort)

Haven't seen the bones ep yet so can't comment
      Okay, since h/c is my "thing," I just have to clarify:

The person on the show who usually ends up getting hurt is usually the one who is the most stoic or unemotional or unrevealing of those feelings that seem to make him/her weak or vulnerable. This is why Jack O'Neill got hurt more on SG1 than any other character - and in some cases, two combined.

See, the whole attraction of hurt/comfort isn't that the viewer or reader is a sadist, but that things - atttiudes and relationships - change when somebody is hurt or sick. People who are usually very guarded drop their walls, and you see their inner being. Caregivers - friends or lovers - are also more expressive than they are on a day to day basis. For instance, normally you wouldn't see Sam crying or even her eyes watering in daily life, but if Jack was hurt, and she was taking care of him, she might. Meanwhile, Jack would never let somebody care for him - do for him - unless he was hurt, and he even more wouldn't let anybody see his emotions. (And this goes whether the "comforter" is Sam, Daniel, Teal'c, or Jonas.) Hurt/comfort lets us see sides of the characters we don't get to see otherwise.

As for the tendancy to go against type (from the shows themselves) in fanfic, I'll never understand it. Daniel wasn't hurt very often on SG1, yet fanfic constantly talks about how often he's in the infirmary. I can't speak to Sentinel fic, but I wouldn't be surprised if that wasn't the same way. Maybe the people who write it just want to see more of somebody taking care of Daniel since he didn't get hurt more on the show. <shrug>

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
      I realized the thing that bothered me was that we didn't have enough
      Spoiler:
      Zach. If you're going to turn one of your characters into a serial killer, he's going to need more screen time in the ep. I think the whole problem stems from the "necessity" or trend of being "shocking". What if the ep had been told from Zach's perspective and we had gotten inside his head to understand where he was going? Now that wouldn't make for a "Bones" season finale, but it would make for one hell of a "normal" episode, because while the explanation for why Zach did it works, it needs a little......something more. It wouldn't make for the traditional they discover who it is and it's a shock from Bones' perspective, but I think it would have served the story better- that's really the only other way I could see this being pulled off in one ep. They did okay. But why couldn't they have given up the Man in the Mud story, for example, in order to put more time to this one, given how altering it is?

Hopefully we'll get to see more of Zach next season to wrap it up a bit better.

And I want to see Sweets finish his book. Yay for him being back next season!

Edit: maybe what they should have done was left the gormangon story for next season's premiere- it would have given them more time to even it out. Where they decided to go with it works, but the execution definitely iffy/rushed/needed more explanation.

I totally agree with everything you said about Zack, but I did learn some things from reading an interview with Eric and his blog that might help.

Spoiler:
      There was supposed to be a storyline mid-season about Zack suffering from post-traumatic-stress-disorder after his time in Iraq. This storyline didn't get to play out because of the strike, but, if it had, it might have given us some forsight that he wasn't quite completely balanced anymore.

He said that there are no plans right now of seeing Zack again, but it could happen.

Spoiler:
      He also stated that it was not in any way his desire to leave the show - they didn't give him any choice - and he sounds very sad to be leaving. And to top it all off, they swore him to secrecy after he found out three months ago that he was going to be the apprentice, so he had to lie to the fans who asked him point blank if Zack was the apprentice. He feels so bad about lying to his fans, he put up a public apology on his blog, asking for forgiveness. I get the feeling Eric is quite the incredible young man. I have to say, if I were in his position, I'd have spoiled it to the high heavens! What could they do, fire him? He was already being fired!

I guess what bugs me that hasn't been mentioned yet is that,
      Spoiler:
      even if they somehow fix his mind so he's "sane" again, he still can't come back to the Jeffersonian because he's permanently debilitated. His hands are ruined!

Overall, the one word I used to describe my feelings about the finale is
      Spoiler:
      "disappointing."
      - Mary
      SG1 needs it's Fifth Man - Why should we settle for less? Bring back Jonas Quinn!
      Jack O'Neill would die for any member of his team. But there's only one he'd live for: Samantha Carter.

Comment

Originally posted by Buc252 View Post

I agree that the you-know-what at the beginning should have been an episode of its own. It would have been a great one, too, just as you described it!

The person on the show who usually ends up getting hurt is usually the one who is the most stoic or unemotional or unrevealing of those feelings that seem to make him/her weak or vulnerable. This is why Jack O'Neill got hurt more on SG1 than any other character - and in some cases, two combined.

~spoilered for length~

Spoiler:
        See, the whole attraction of hurt/comfort isn't that the viewer or reader is a sadist, but that things - atttiudes and relationships - change when somebody is hurt or sick. People who are usually very guarded drop their walls, and you see their inner being. Caregivers - friends or lovers - are also more expressive than they are on a day to day basis. For instance, normally you wouldn't see Sam crying or even her eyes watering in daily life, but if Jack was hurt, and she was taking care of him, she might. Meanwhile, Jack would never let somebody care for him - do for him - unless he was hurt, and he even more wouldn't let anybody see his emotions. (And this goes whether the "comforter" is Sam, Daniel, Teal'c, or Jonas.) Hurt/comfort lets us see sides of the characters we don't get to see otherwise.

As for the tendancy to go against type (from the shows themselves) in fanfic, I'll never understand it. Daniel wasn't hurt very often on SG1, yet fanfic constantly talks about how often he's in the infirmary. I can't speak to Sentinel fic, but I wouldn't be surprised if that wasn't the same way. Maybe the people who write it just want to see more of somebody taking care of Daniel since he didn't get hurt more on the show. <shrug>

I totally agree with everything you said about Zack, but I did learn some things from reading an interview with Eric and his blog that might help.

Spoiler:
        There was supposed to be a storyline mid-season about Zack suffering from post-traumatic-stress-disorder after his time in Iraq. This storyline didn't get to play out because of the strike, but, if it had, it might have given us some forsight that he wasn't quite completely balanced anymore.

He said that there are no plans right now of seeing Zack again, but it could happen.

Spoiler:
        He also stated that it was not in any way his desire to leave the show - they didn't give him any choice - and he sounds very sad to be leaving. And to top it all off, they swore him to secrecy after he found out three months ago that he was going to be the apprentice, so he had to lie to the fans who asked him point blank if Zack was the apprentice. He feels so bad about lying to his fans, he put up a public apology on his blog, asking for forgiveness. I get the feeling Eric is quite the incredible young man. I have to say, if I were in his position, I'd have spoiled it to the high heavens! What could they do, fire him? He was already being fired!

Spoiler:
        even if they somehow fix his mind so he's "sane" again, he still can't come back to the Jeffersonian because he's permanently debilitated. His hands are ruined!

Spoiler:
        "disappointing."
        I do.

Hmmm... Suddenly, I feel a fic coming on. It might be fun to write a fic of the week or so between last week's ep and this week's, just to show all the stuff they skipped. *ponder*

Given your definition and explanation of h/c, I'd most want to see Brennan in the hurt role and Booth in the comfort role. Sure, he's a guy and he tries to be tough etc, but I would love to see her ability to compartmentalize broken down by an illness or severe injury. She'd have to let Booth take care of her. Actually, now that I think about it my favorite ep is like that--Two Bodies in a Lab. Sure, he's the one who gets blown up, but it's the scene where she's almost shot and he comes to save her and then holds her as she almost breaks down that I love the most.
        sigpic

Comment

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
          "disappointing."
          Awww, I read some of that interview
          Spoiler:
          I feel bad for him- and for everyone else involved, the writers and the other actors. From the writing standpoint what could they have done? They had one episode to wrap up the story, and they couldn't just have a faceless nobody be behind the whole thing after so many episodes devoted. (Un)fortunately the entire cast is made up of great characters and actors which didn't give them a lot of choice. Sweets was too obvious being the new guy, which left only Hodgins and Zack for who it could conceivably be. They had the choice between going anti-climactic and dull with a faceless perpetrator, risking losing viewers who presume they can't pull off a storyline. Or they could go risky and shocking by making it a loved character. Also risking losing viewers.

Zack and Eric Milligan unfortunately ended up being the last casualty of the strike, it is too bad that he didn't get his post-traumatic stress storyline.

I didn't think it was a bad episode considering. It's just a shame that they didn't have a little more room to pull off what they were trying. I do hope we get some follow-up on Zack. I want to hear him sing again!

Comment

Very good Buc!!!

And I totally agree on the Daniel thing :-/

Comment

Spoiler:
              Since Zach is gone now, they'll need a new anthropologist (and I think they talked about searching one in the new season on AA), I thought Bones might hire the guy who helped get her father out of jail. He was pretty good at what he was doing... What do you think, any chance we'll see him again?
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jenova Synthesis View Post
                Spoiler:
                Since Zach is gone now, they'll need a new anthropologist (and I think they talked about searching one in the new season on AA), I thought Bones might hire the guy who helped get her father out of jail. He was pretty good at what he was doing... What do you think, any chance we'll see him again?
                Spoiler:
                Actually I'm not quite sure they will hire another one. Remember what they had to do to keep Zack once he had his title?
                Plus there are so few forensic anthropologists in the US. Why have 2 at the same place?

Or maybe she will chose to tutor one of the students we saw in TPITH?

Comment

Spoiler:
                  Actually I'm not quite sure they will hire another one. Remember what they had to do to keep Zack once he had his title?
                  Plus there are so few forensic anthropologists in the US. Why have 2 at the same place?

Or maybe she will chose to tutor one of the students we saw in TPITH?
                  Spoiler:
                  Hm you're right. But we need another squint!

I loved Bones's line (after the girl told her she was 3rd of her class) "I'd like to know the name of the 2 ahead of you"

So, if there are a few forensic anthrogologists in the States only I might actually find work there?
                  sigpic

Comment

Spoiler:
                    Hm you're right. But we need another squint!

I loved Bones's line (after the girl told her she was 3rd of her class) "I'd like to know the name of the 2 ahead of you"

So, if there are a few forensic anthrogologists in the States only I might actually find work there?
                    Spoiler:
                    Of course we do! And what better squint than a student afraid of teh Doctor Temperance Brennan and Special Agent Seeley Booth, Special?

Her look was priceless!

*shrugs*

I don't know if it's true in reality; you should check.

Plus, you have to see if the language doesn't cause problems; didn't you do your studies in German?

Comment

Spoiler:
                      Of course we do! And what better squint than a student afraid of teh Doctor Temperance Brennan and Special Agent Seeley Booth, Special?

Her look was priceless!

*shrugs*

I don't know if it's true in reality; you should check.

Plus, you have to see if the language doesn't cause problems; didn't you do your studies in German?
                      Special!
                      Spoiler:
                      Would be awesome to have that girl in the team... But I think if they hire a new anthropologist/team member it will be a man. Dunno why.

As you can see from my English-attempts, the language is always a problem...
                      Most of our lectures are in German but nearly all our books are in English. And most of the seminars, too. Hence, the vocab wouldn't be the problem (it's a variation from the Latin word most of the time and since we need to know them...).
                      sigpic

Comment

Special!
                        Spoiler:
                        Would be awesome to have that girl in the team... But I think if they hire a new anthropologist/team member it will be a man. Dunno why.

As you can see from my English-attempts, the language is always a problem...
                        Most of our lectures are in German but nearly all our books are in English. And most of the seminars, too. Hence, the vocab wouldn't be the problem (it's a variation from the Latin word most of the time and since we need to know them...).
                        Spoiler:
                        That would be a change: I already see all sorts of fics of Booth going out with the female student and Bones being distant and professional

Boys are always better: girls only create problems within a group ^^

Oh come on, your English is perfect!

Cool; then you should try. One never knows without trying

Comment

Spoiler:
                          That would be a change: I already see all sorts of fics of Booth going out with the female student and Bones being distant and professional

Boys are always better: girls only create problems within a group ^^

Oh come on, your English is perfect!

Cool; then you should try. One never knows without trying
                          Spoiler:
                          I don't think Booth is the student type... What did his first girlfriend (the first mentioned) do for a living? I already forgot that... Wait, she worked as a cut-throat-b!tch in Princeton-Plainsboro hospital...

Thx! I still have to learn so much... If they hadn't changed our uni system I would have gone abroad to improve my English... Looks like I need to watch more English TV shows then
                          I will surly try
                          sigpic

Comment

Spoiler:
                            I don't think Booth is the student type... What did his first girlfriend (the first mentioned) do for a living? I already forgot that... Wait, she worked as a cut-throat-b!tch in Princeton-Plainsboro hospital...

Thx! I still have to learn so much... If they hadn't changed our uni system I would have gone abroad to improve my English... Looks like I need to watch more English TV shows then
                            I will surly try
                            Spoiler:
                            Booth is the doctor type; he likes experienced women
                            Tessa? Wasn't she a lawyer or something?

You're already ahead of me so don't worry!

You know; the best way to learn is to integrate yourself in a culture. Maybe you should just go over there and see or you can just watch more Bones in English!

Comment

Spoiler:
                              Booth is the doctor type; he likes experienced women
                              Tessa? Wasn't she a lawyer or something?

You're already ahead of me so don't worry!

You know; the best way to learn is to integrate yourself in a culture. Maybe you should just go over there and see or you can just watch more Bones in English!
                              You mean doctor as in doctor Brannan?

Tessa! That was her name... I recently watched one of the older eps (s1) and when they showed her I was like 'WTF? Amber!' *loves House*

Where are you from actually?
                              sigpic

Comment

You mean doctor as in doctor Brannan?

Tessa! That was her name... I recently watched one of the older eps (s1) and when they showed her I was like 'WTF? Amber!' *loves House*

Where are you from actually?
                                Well, what other doctors are there besides Brennan?

My best friend is a House fan and I watch it from time to time but I do know what's going on ^^ All I know is that I don't appreciate Amber :-/

I'm your neighbor.... Belgium ^^

Comment

Working...
                                X