Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NCIS : Discussion, spoilers and everything else ....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by melfan View Post
    some pics of the ladies

<EDIT> Ooops... forgot we aren't supposed to quote images.....Sorry
    Who ever it was on the crew that decided to have Ziva a fan on cargo pants should be given a knighthood.....
    Last edited by Dr Lee; 06 February 2010, 09:01 AM.

'You gotta admit, Vampires are just plain cool'

Comment

Originally posted by Treknik View Post
      Abby is from New Orleans (as is Pauly Perrette).
      Yeah, I know that, but is jazz music at a funeral some kind of tradition? *goes to look up* Shame, and half my famliy is from Louisiana.

Originally posted by Dr Lee View Post
      Who ever it was on the crew that decided to have Ziva a fan on cargo pants should be given a knighthood.....

The cargo pants combined with a tank top give off a "bada*s-but-still-femine" look. Which is what I like.
      Tumblr: fashion4ducks.tumblr.com
      Where my mind comes out to play *DUN DUN DUN!!!!!!!!!!!!*

Comment

Originally posted by AlbinoMonkeyC View Post
        Yeah, I know that, but is jazz music at a funeral some kind of tradition? *goes to look up* Shame, and half my famliy is from Louisiana.
        I don't know about the "tradition", but frequently when a funeral has been shown on TV in New Orleans, it seems as though jazz music is a big part of it. It might start out slow and sort of heavy, but then changes to happy music a person could dance to. Perhaps a comment on celebrating the person's life, even though they've died?

Comment

Guarantee you I can copy those ear rings. Copper wire is cheep cheep cheep.

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
          I don't know about the "tradition", but frequently when a funeral has been shown on TV in New Orleans, it seems as though jazz music is a big part of it. It might start out slow and sort of heavy, but then changes to happy music a person could dance to. Perhaps a comment on celebrating the person's life, even though they've died?
          Yeah, possibly.
          Last edited by Skydiver; 06 February 2010, 01:21 PM.
          Tumblr: fashion4ducks.tumblr.com
          Where my mind comes out to play *DUN DUN DUN!!!!!!!!!!!!*

Comment

Originally posted by SGLAB View Post
            Ah, back in the days when he wore clothes that actually fit him properly. I read an interview with Michael Weatherly last season in TV Guide where he said he and the wardrobe person started to put together his wardrobe so that he was wearing suits a size too small. Make it that 60s look.
            I can't stand this look. It gives the feel that he has gained too much weight when he hasn't. It would be difficult to work in those all day.

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
            That is exactly it. The music becomes more upbeat after the body is buried and then the celebration of life happens.
            sigpic
            I used to trek amongst the stars, now I gate to them

Comment

New Orleans Funerals

New Orleans Jazz Funeral
              A unique funeral tradition in the United States occurs in New Orleans, Louisiana. The tradition arose from a combination of African spiritual practices, French musical traditions, and African-American cultural influences. A typical jazz funeral begins with a march by the family, friends, and a jazz band, starting from the home, funeral home, or church, and proceeding to the cemetery. Throughout the march, the band plays very somber dirges. Once the final ceremony has taken place, the march proceeds from the cemetery to a gathering place, and the solemn music is replaced by loud, upbeat, raucous music and dancing where onlookers join in to celebrate the life of the deceased. This is the origin of the New Orleans dance known as the "second line" where celebrants do a dance-march, frequently while raising the hats and umbrellas brought along as protection from intense New Orleans weather and waving handkerchiefs above the head that are no longer being used to wipe away tears.

http://www.funeralwise.com/customs/neworleans
              http://www.deathcare.com/2009/histor...z-funeral.html

the first is from wiki, the other sites also have articles. it's thought to be a combo of ancient slave practices, at first mourning the death, then celebrating the person's life and freedom from slavery/life.

it's not just a new orleans thing, but also haiti and other parts of hte caribbean
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Found this promo pic

click for bigger!

Thought you guys would enjoy a good laugh too!
                Richard Dean Anderson is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!!
                sigpic
                Hawaii-Five-O-Heat-Wave-Thunk-thread-of-hotness

Comment

During the Super Bowl tonight there was an NCIS commercial. Pat Benatar's Hit Me With Your Best Shot was playing as they showed a series of Gibbs head smacks and there was a line that was something like 'the new way of greeting people' .

Comment

During the Super Bowl tonight there was an NCIS commercial. Pat Benatar's Hit Me With Your Best Shot was playing as they showed a series of Gibbs head smacks and there was a line that was something like 'the new way of greeting people' .
                    Yes, I especially liked the people head slapping each other at the funeral. I'm thinking about getting people to do that instead of the regular hand shaking during the 'passing of the peace' at my church, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Callista View Post
                      Yes, I especially liked the people head slapping each other at the funeral. I'm thinking about getting people to do that instead of the regular hand shaking during the 'passing of the peace' at my church, too.
                      I'm just picturing doing that at my church. Stranger things have happened there.

Comment

Oh yeah, that was great! I was at my friend's house watching the game and we all stopped eating/fixing food/occupying 1 year old to watch that commercial. We all got a good laugh out of it, lol!! Sadly, the 1 year old thought it meant that's what he should do as well, so he hit his mommy in the back of the head while she was cooking and she burned her head. He came to me and kissed my head, lol.

Speaking of my friends and NCIS...Talking to themthe other day, I realized how hard it can be to trust/like a character if you haven't seen all the episodes they've been in. They like Kate, but they've only seen a few of the eps with her. They aren't sure yet if they like Ziva. I love her, and my friend and I usually have the same favorite characters, so I couldn't figure out how they couldn't like Ziva. They had only seen NCIS through marathons and reruns on USA network. Apparently, most of the eps they've seen with Ziva were the end of Season 6. The only other two they've seen are when she first joins the team, before killing Ari (and they had seen the ep where Ari killed Kate) and then the Hiatus 1, before she visits Gibbs and helps him remember.

After hearing that, I can see why they might not know how to trust Ziva on the team. The only eps they've seen with her are ones that imply she might not be loyal to them. Since then I've made them watch much of Season 7, and now they like her better. The thing I found really funny though was that my friend told me that if Ziva could be trusted, she and Tony would be great together. It just cracked me up that even without seeing much positive Tony/Ziva interaction, she still thought the same thing as me.

But yeah, I've never really thought about how much the episodes you see of a character can really change how you feel about them. I mean yeah, I react the same way sometimes, but it never occured to me how much your view of a show or characters could be swayed based on the episodes a network airs. It really makes me rethink some of the things I've thought of characters on other shows, lol.
                        sigpic
                        Sig by Ikorni for Secret Santa

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                          New Orleans Funerals

New Orleans Jazz Funeral
                          A unique funeral tradition in the United States occurs in New Orleans, Louisiana. The tradition arose from a combination of African spiritual practices, French musical traditions, and African-American cultural influences. A typical jazz funeral begins with a march by the family, friends, and a jazz band, starting from the home, funeral home, or church, and proceeding to the cemetery. Throughout the march, the band plays very somber dirges. Once the final ceremony has taken place, the march proceeds from the cemetery to a gathering place, and the solemn music is replaced by loud, upbeat, raucous music and dancing where onlookers join in to celebrate the life of the deceased. This is the origin of the New Orleans dance known as the "second line" where celebrants do a dance-march, frequently while raising the hats and umbrellas brought along as protection from intense New Orleans weather and waving handkerchiefs above the head that are no longer being used to wipe away tears.

http://www.funeralwise.com/customs/neworleans
                          http://www.deathcare.com/2009/histor...z-funeral.html

the first is from wiki, the other sites also have articles. it's thought to be a combo of ancient slave practices, at first mourning the death, then celebrating the person's life and freedom from slavery/life.

it's not just a new orleans thing, but also haiti and other parts of hte caribbean
                          I just want to say that Gateworld is awesome! Where can you chat about Stargate (and other favorites) and get an educational lesson? Thanks Skydiver.

What?! I didn't watch the super bowl. Must find the commercial.

Originally posted by TrueRomantic View Post
                          Oh yeah, that was great! I was at my friend's house watching the game and we all stopped eating/fixing food/occupying 1 year old to watch that commercial. We all got a good laugh out of it, lol!! Sadly, the 1 year old thought it meant that's what he should do as well, so he hit his mommy in the back of the head while she was cooking and she burned her head. He came to me and kissed my head, lol.

Speaking of my friends and NCIS...Talking to themthe other day, I realized how hard it can be to trust/like a character if you haven't seen all the episodes they've been in. They like Kate, but they've only seen a few of the eps with her. They aren't sure yet if they like Ziva. I love her, and my friend and I usually have the same favorite characters, so I couldn't figure out how they couldn't like Ziva. They had only seen NCIS through marathons and reruns on USA network. Apparently, most of the eps they've seen with Ziva were the end of Season 6. The only other two they've seen are when she first joins the team, before killing Ari (and they had seen the ep where Ari killed Kate) and then the Hiatus 1, before she visits Gibbs and helps him remember.

After hearing that, I can see why they might not know how to trust Ziva on the team. The only eps they've seen with her are ones that imply she might not be loyal to them. Since then I've made them watch much of Season 7, and now they like her better. The thing I found really funny though was that my friend told me that if Ziva could be trusted, she and Tony would be great together. It just cracked me up that even without seeing much positive Tony/Ziva interaction, she still thought the same thing as me.

But yeah, I've never really thought about how much the episodes you see of a character can really change how you feel about them. I mean yeah, I react the same way sometimes, but it never occured to me how much your view of a show or characters could be swayed based on the episodes a network airs. It really makes me rethink some of the things I've thought of characters on other shows, lol.
                          That is a good observation, TrueRomantic, because if she only sees episodes with Kate, who then dies and then you see episodes where Ziva is at her worst, you can understand why she doesn't trust Ziva.

I was the same way with Ziva, but I watched every episode in order from the first time the series started. I was a huge Kate fan, so when she was killed and Ziva took her place, I couldn't trust Ziva at first. I wanted to hate Ziva because she was replacing Kate, but found that I couldn't after watching her character grow into someone I could like. Now, I have no problem with Ziva. I was never a Kate/Tony shipper, more a Kate/Gibbs shipper, so it doesn't bother me that TPTB are shipping Tony and Ziva.
                          sigpic
                          I used to trek amongst the stars, now I gate to them

Comment

Saw that commercial! Loved it!
                            sigpic

Click here daily to give free mammograms

It is better to be crazy for Jesus than a wise man for Satan. Laters, Misi

Comment

in a lot of ways, the team trusted ziva, cause gibbs said that they can trust her.

tony, however, probably questioned the most and, while he followed gibbs' lead and trusted her, it took a while before you saw him totally let his guard down. I've caught some of the s3 and 4 re-runs, and most of the time Tony is enjoying that Ziva can kick butt better than he can, and he's more than happy to let her do it.

on the job, he trusts her to not let him get killed (at least until s6) but personally? not until lately
                              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

For those who haven't seen the super bowl commercial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8wujfB0wwU

Comment

Working...
                                X