No announcement yet.

MGM Open To More Stargate Depending on Success of Stargate Origins and SGC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I deleted my post about alt accounts at the SGC site for "family sharing" because I give up on both Origins and SGC. The site pits fans against one another by geography, buying ability, and fans of human characters vs the other races with their xenophobic language and I have had it.
    Last edited by WraithTech; 25 May 2018, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
      Maybe they will add more countries as nobody can predict their motives or moves.
      If they would, they'd done it already. So no, they won't.

I was thinking what if we would start a "like this post" campaign on SG:C. Since everybody has got only one vote, I am just stimply intereted if we could reach 500 or 1000.
      There isn't a single post on the message feed that has more than 50 likes. On the newsfeed there are a couple articles or items that have close to 600 likes but they were articles from the very beginning.

There are a lot of subscribers who never visit the feed and are only interested in the all-access bits of the website. I know it's possible to comment on episodes (I think) and the few times I managed to sneak a peak at the inaccessible bits I saw users I'd never seen on the feed.

Plus, the feed is dying. Due to circumstances yesterday I didn't check the feed for two whole days and there were maybe 3-4 new posts. And less comments on existing ones -- Gateworld has less new posts, but new post to my subscribed threads far outweigh the ones on Command.

Also, you would not be reaching the audience you want to reach, because you'd simply be talking to the all-access bubble. Everyone else has left that place behind, or hasn't bothered to sign up due to the geoblocking. There are a lot more fans than there are people signed up at the SGC. That place is literally a bubble where everyone thinks everyone has access because that's all they see.

Originally posted by nivao View Post
      I received the mail from SGC about GDPR yesterday evening.
      Right on time --- and I so wanted to stick the GDPR enforcing board on them.
      Darn it, taking the fun out it.

Originally posted by nivao View Post
      Funny thing though, as I expected, I read about other American companies deliberately blocking access to their services because they don't want to adhere to the law. In my opinion, that kind of behavior suggests I shouldn't trust them.
      Yup, quite a few pulled their services out of Europe. The LA Times even blocks European IP's to their newspages. Here's the message on display at their homepage:

"Unfortunately, our website is currently unavailable in most European countries. We are engaged on the issue and committed to looking at options that support our full range of digital offerings to the EU market. We continue to identify technical compliance solutions that will provide all readers with our award-winning journalism."

And here's Shoes.com's message to European IP's:

"Effective May 14th, 2018, we will no longer offer products to EU/EEA countries until we implement new features to adapt to the European Union Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)."

Considering they've had plenty of time to adjust, I have a very good feeling that they will not be complying any time soon and just cut their losses.

History.com also blocked European IP's but when I try to visit their website, I'm redirected to their Spanish pages because I'm currently surfing on a Spanish IP (I'm on vacation on the island of Fuertaventura).

Here are a few more companies who decided to cut their European losses, instead of complying to the GDPR rules:

* Verve (online marketing)
      * Ragnarok Online (online game)
      * Super Monday Night Combat (online game)
      * Unroll (email subscription service)
      * Brent Ozar Unlimited (software supplier)
      * Tungle (gaming software provider)
      * Drawbridge (cross-device identity service)

Originally posted by WraithTech View Post
      I deleted my post about alt accounts at the SGC site for "family sharing" because I give up on both Origins and SGC. The site pits fans against one another by geography, buying ability, and fans of human characters vs the other races with their xenophobic language and I have had it.
      Command is like that episode where the Tauri, the Tok'ra and the Jaffa have to share the same site, and instead of coming together united, they are deliberately keeping everyone in their corner, showing one another that the others are better and more liked than the rest.

If someone even suggests that "one big happy fandom family", they should be pointed to that website as to why that's one big lie.
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Ah, how easy it was back when I was the only one who liked Stargate and got bullied for it.

Then I found GateWorld and thought, hey, there are others who like it too. So far so good.

And now there's MGM who say, "Hey look, we know you're out there and we love to make more Stargate." And I'm like, "Oh, that's cool. More Stargate."

Then this crap happened.

Never could I have guessed that a fandom such as this could become so divided. SGU I understand, but for all its faults, I still consider it part of the franchise. But with Origins so much was done wrong (from an objective viewpoint) that I just can't see Stargate continuing on in a good way, ever.

I still look back at my twenty years of being a fan with pride and joy. No matter how much I was bullied, or looked down upon, for being a fan and a geek, there was always a new episode during Prime Time. I've seen it so many times that I can't remember what it was like to have seen it for the first time. But I also forget that SG-1 is already a little over twenty years old. I could just as well be brand new. The only thing that gives it away is the grain and DVD-quality, and only a few of the VFX.

No-one can ever do that again. And quite frankly, I don't really want them to. Make a new show that continues Stargate but that can stand on its own. I really don't want them to do a reboot, I've got burned so many times before. I really want them to keep their paws of SG-1/Atlantis and leave it as it is.

I loved Star Wars when it was still for nerds. Now that everyone likes it, I don't like it anymore. At least not in that way. I still enjoy watching and playing the old stuff, but rarely the new. That's why I'm glad I'm a Stargate fan. It's still obscure enough that it can never be as big, and that's perfectly fine. The world needs a niche like that. But it should stay that way and not become even more niche like what MGM is doing now, or bigger by having some A-list director turn it into the next Star Wars/Trek.

Long rant is over. Carry on...

Comment

Nivao: Nothing to be ashamed. I am also an SG fan since the beginning. I used to watch the first five seasons in German on RTLII. I have never ever loved a tv show as much as Stargate, but probably you have noticed it.

Honestly I don't feel the divided fandom or maybe I have visited only a few threads here. I believe most of the fans have moved on already and only a few dozents have left here, but that is the next logical step. If nothing happened for 7 years than why would they visit the SG:C or GateWorld? People will graduate from school, then they will be in love, they will get married and later they will have children. Life hasn't stopped, just because our loved franchise did. But I am still sure that a new quality spinoff / tvmovie could bring back old fans and maybe they could gain new ones as a new generation of viewers have arrived in the last 20 years.

What makes me sad that this franchise could be so much bigger. New spinoffs, tv movies or later even big-budget movies. The Stargate networks as a concept are such a good way to tell different type of stories and to imagine and to introduce wild new worlds than no other scifi did it for me. It is really a shame that MGM can't see the potential that they could build a really strong scifi brand on it. I wish they could find their own new "Kevin Feige", who could show them a bigger picture that the audience needs this unique way of storytelling while it can be successfull financially and critically too.
          "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Nivao: Nothing to be ashamed. I am also an SG fan since the beginning. I used to watch the first five seasons in German on RTLII. I have never ever loved a tv show as much as Stargate, but probably you have noticed it.

Honestly I don't feel the divided fandom or maybe I have visited only a few threads here. I believe most of the fans have moved on already and only a few dozents have left here, but that is the next logical step. If nothing happened for 7 years than why would they visit the SG:C or GateWorld? People will graduate from school, then they will be in love, they will get married and later they will have children. Life hasn't stopped, just because our loved franchise did. But I am still sure that a new quality spinoff / tvmovie could bring back old fans and maybe they could gain new ones as a new generation of viewers have arrived in the last 20 years.

What makes me sad that this franchise could be so much bigger. New spinoffs, tv movies or later even big-budget movies. The Stargate networks as a concept are such a good way to tell different type of stories and to imagine and to introduce wild new worlds than no other scifi did it for me. It is really a shame that MGM can't see the potential that they could build a really strong scifi brand on it. I wish they could find their own new "Kevin Feige", who could show them a bigger picture that the audience needs this unique way of storytelling while it can be successfull financially and critically too.
            I hear ya. In fact, I have been feeling a lot like a "Kevin Feige" for some time, even before "Kevin Feige" became cool, but I'm probably not the only one. I just have so many ideas floating around in my head, it makes my head spin. That's why I'm particularly hoping for some kind of chance, much like what occasionally happened with Star Trek and Star Wars. In any case, I'm intending to build my own "alternate universe" branch of Stargate as fan-fiction. Just to get those ideas out of my head.

Comment

"Great holy spinoffs shall be written and produced to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the writers, scripts shall be forged to carry our episodes out amongst the tv channels, and we will spread Stargate to all the unbelievers. The power of the SG will be felt far and wide, and the wicked shall be vanquished."
              "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Honestly I don't feel the divided fandom or maybe I have visited only a few threads here.
                Oh, the fandom is divided. Trust me on that. It's particularly fascinating when the haves tell the have-nots to shut up and go away, or to stop complaining about the lack of access and happily spoil the **** out of their new show. Or better, start complaining themselves, point it out and get told to shut up and go away all the same.

Another classic, "We truly feel for you..." --- wait for it --- "But... blah blah blah..."

And the best one, "We must have buggered them so much they extended the deadline to September." -- "Really, cause our buggering didn't do diddly-squad." -- "Stop complaining, you have access through other means, don't you?"

*flips finger*

The SGU divide was ridiculous. Fans telling other fans it was their fault that it got cancelled or now blaming SGU-haters that the actors weren't treated right (which I by the way do not condone no matter who the actors are -- I myself was eager enough to get an autograph from one of the SGU actors and I haven't even seen it -- the one who played Lt. Johnson, that her name? The blond one).

The Stargate fandom has always been divided one way or another, but never in this way. And this way is the worst of all, because if the have-nots are not important enough, the haves will soon find out that they won't be so eager to stand by their side to get more stargate.

People will graduate from school, then they will be in love, they will get married and later they will have children.
                White picket fence and 2.5 children?

Cause nope...

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                  The SGU divide was ridiculous. Fans telling other fans it was their fault that it got cancelled or now blaming SGU-haters that the actors weren't treated right (which I by the way do not condone no matter who the actors are -- I myself was eager enough to get an autograph from one of the SGU actors and I haven't even seen it -- the one who played Lt. Johnson, that her name? The blond one).
                  People made an entire SGU hater forum just to hate on it. Never seen such an insane divide.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                    People made an entire SGU hater forum just to hate on it. Never seen such an insane divide.
                    Mmmm... I have...

Comment

FH: I am really sorry that you had to experience such negativity. I wish there would be a solution.

A new anthology type SG movie series could be a fresh new start what could unite the fandom if it could be shared with ALL the fans around the globe.

It doesn't matter now why SGU failed. Honestly I wouldn't mind if they would continue the story that they return to Earth, but they have no memories who rescued them or they are not willing to talk about it. And then maybe later we could have a "flashback" SG movie where it would be revealed what has really happened on the board of Destiny.

SG-1 movies wouldn't work as the SGC set has been repainted or destroyed. So even if they want to tell some SG-1 adventures then it must be an offworld one. I believe this was the main reason why we couldn't see directly the gateroom at all in Ark of Truth or Continuum.

I am guessing that they must have sold even the original stargate prop and that is the reason why we had the CGI MW gate in SG:U 2x15 "Seizure" too.

We also haven't got the Atlantis set, so it would be a bit challenging to write a story about it without the Atlantis gate room. The city is still on Earth, so if we ever get a new SG movie or spinoff, they have to deal with this problem.

So I believe they best idea would be to produce such tv movies or mini series, which doesn't need any of the original gate rooms. Like offworld adventures or a new base in MW etc. And maybe later they could rebuild the original gate rooms if it is needed storywise. But we know exactly that none of them will be built back just for one movie. If the budget is 5-10 million dollar for 90minutes and then the set would cost 1-2 or even more million dollars. It would only happen if they could plan to shoot more movies or a mini series in them etc.

They could start a new spinoff in a new gate network as well, but I believe this start would piss off the fans as they would like to hear what happened with the original heroes from the other three shows. So the next logical choice would be a new base in MW and somehow Atlantis and the Cheyenne Mountain must be written off. The adventures could be still continued, but Earth would disappear. That is the reason I suggested an attack against the SGC. Bomb explodes, but the base is rebuilt. That could explain why we have a new base on Earth. Or the complete planet could be written off as it would be moved to transphase or a time dilation field or to put under quarantine. Or some powerful aliens would move it to a new galaxy with the complete solar system. There would be so many ways to tell a believable story and then the dreaded reboot idea could be avoided.

Or if it is absolutely unavoidable to have a reboot then they could start it in an alternative reality. Later they would use the mirror technology, so old characters could be crossed-over or used in the same role but with different backgrounds, while some familiar storylines could be retold in a different way. Something similar what happened in Moebius. What if Catherine finds out how the stargate work etc. Then they whole history of Stargate would be a completly different one. But I am sure the audience wouldn't accept the loss of the other SG shows and the established mythology and the achieved technological development, so I wouldn't be happy with such reboot.

Comment

The way I see it should be done is the Marvel/DC way; a "multiverse" allowing a wide variety of stories, without staying fixed on one particular path of continuity. Then anyone can create any kind of story within the "Stargate sandbox" without worrying too much about continuity, but avoiding any one set of canon. Much like the two separate post-season 5 Atlantis stories (the novels and comics).

I mean, if Origins is an "alternate universe" in a way that Marvel and DC do it, then I can accept it. It can work. As long as MGM is not going to devote all of its resources to continue just with that continuity (like the hypothetical anthology series may suggest).

Like Marvel/DC, and even Star Trek, it's a natural fit. The multiverse is a real concept within the Stargate universe, we've seen it with the quantum mirror, "The Road Not Taken" and "Ripple Effect". The one thing I always fear with franchises like this is that the Powers That Be will eventually reboot it and completely change it, without looking back at what came before. I don't want that to happen. I also don't want another SGU fiasco (creating a new TV show with a completely different style than the others, as opposed to adding variety in individual episodes).

Let multiple creators work on separate stories; TV shows, comics, movies, games, novels; all within the Stargate multiverse, to cater all the content to a wider audience. As opposed to a single piece of work for a very specific type of audience (thus dividing the fanbase), or generalized for a wider audience (thus never doing anything good), AKA the "you can please everyone some of the time, some of them all of the time, but not everyone all of the time" line. Yes, this costs money, but what doesn't? You have to invest something, anything, to get something back.

Comment

I am afraid it doesn't depend on us. As I said before this franchise has got so much potential and it is sad it is wasted at the moment.

Comment

I am afraid it doesn't depend on us. As I said before this franchise has got so much potential and it is sad it is wasted at the moment.
                            That is indeed the sad part.

Comment

FH & Others : Well to be perfectly honest, as much as they messed up with the whole geoblock thing, it's not worth excluding yourself from the fandom because of Origins. Unless it grows into something else, to me SGO was nothing more than a small tease that didn't really continue the story in any ways.

I thought this was a prelude to an announcement of a new show, but it seems like I was mistaken. As time goes on, the *fandom* momentum is fading away. Maybe we need to wait more? Anyhow if it comes it comes, I don't expect anything from SG anymore so I won't be disappointed if nothing comes in the next few years.
                              Spoiler:
                              I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
                                FH & Others : Well to be perfectly honest, as much as they messed up with the whole geoblock thing, it's not worth excluding yourself from the fandom because of Origins. Unless it grows into something else, to me SGO was nothing more than a small tease that didn't really continue the story in any ways.

I thought this was a prelude to an announcement of a new show, but it seems like I was mistaken. As time goes on, the *fandom* momentum is fading away. Maybe we need to wait more? Anyhow if it comes it comes, I don't expect anything from SG anymore so I won't be disappointed if nothing comes in the next few years.
                                I think that Origins will most likely lead to other Stargate shows, if it has actually been a success for them. It doesn't make much sense at all to go through the effort of making an new show, setting up a streaming site, actually engaging with fans to an extent by making their youtube more active and creating behind the scenes stuff etc and then extending SGC all-access after it was supposed to end only after all that, if it was a success, to go "Well, that went pretty well! Guess we better go back to not doing anything again now".

With the waiting and lack of announcements, it seems like SGO isn't entirely finished with yet, i'm at least waiting until the extended cut thing is released and SGC subscriptions are finished with before loosing hope about anything happening.

Comment

Working...
                                X