Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ID4 #2 does poorly.. will that impact the SG reboot films?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Peterking72 View Post
    You're right about Star Trek, but not Stargate:

You see in Stargate every alternate universes have something constant
    Nope. "daedalus variations" is just one example.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
      Nope. "daedalus variations" is just one example.
      It actually isn't. Deadalus variations takes place in the Pegasus Galaxy. The fact that in one of those alternate worlds they popped into was not a wraith infested Pegasus Galaxy, but seemed to be overrun by Borg-like aliens who shot green plasma globs instead of blue is no way an indication that it was a totally different universe. For all we know the Ancients in that universe might have decided to visit and live in the Andromeda Galaxy instead of the Pegasus galaxy, thus the Wraith never come into existence, so instead that Borg-like aliens became the prominent/most powerful race there.
      All other variations they pop into are very closely resemble their original. They even found an alternate versions of their team, dead. McKay even comments on that how are they going to get out of the situation if their alter egos failed.
      Besides all alternative universes ever explored on any SG TV shows was mostly identical and had these similar traits I was talking about.
      My best example would be the episode called Ripple Effect. In that episode the gate "malfunctions" and different versions of SG-1 gate into the SGC from alternate universes. Everyone starts talking with each other about their experiences and the differences between their universes. I'm sure if there were any more significant differences than SG-1 consisting of different people in some cases, that the show runners would have made sure we noticed those. For example if in an alternate universe the Goa'uld were not snake-like parasites, but looked like the alien Ra we saw in the original Stargate film. OR if there were no Goa'ulds at all. Nothing like that happened, so we can safely conclude that all alternate universes have something that constant in all of them and makes no room for an alternate universe like the universe from the original film among them.
      I hope that puts it right for you.
      sigpicHallowed are the Ori.

Comment

Originally posted by Gifford2006 View Post
        There won't be any ideas taken from the stargate we love. RE and DD have said in interviews that they despise everything about the series. They don't consider anything about it to be real Stargate
        Of course they said that. You have to understand that they are all about the money businnes man in the first place. Directing and making movies and all that comes with that is just second nature to them. They bash the TV show because they sold the rights after the film tanked at the box offices, so they didn't make any money on the success of the TV shows. They were angry and ever since tried to get back the rights to cash in. Now after the TV show ended they finally have the chance to do it. They said they despise everything about the series, when in fact they're angry that those ideas seen on these TV shows weren't their own and should despise themselves instead. They desperately trying to position themselves by saying that their version of the Stargate will be different and unique. We will see about that. We explored pretty much every possibility about Stargate in the shows. The story of the series is so rich that I doubt that a hollow movie flick like the ones they make can even capture 1% of that magic you feel when watching an episode from the TV shows. I also doubt that the story they'll come up with wouldn't be in some way resembling an episode of the TV shows, or a multitude of episodes mashed together in an incoherent plot. I'm betting on the latter. The only thing that would pull in viewers for that movie would be possible big names, granted that they can convince any to join their crew. However after Will Smith said no to their 2nd take on the Independence Day I doubt that they can pull in really big names. Even though Will Smith is a bit spoiled from being so famous and has a swagger that can fill a mansion, people and other actors still take notice when he is turning down this big a role. Plus he can afford to turn it down if he considers that it would hurt his image.

Back to the topic: I seriously doubt that we would see an original masterpiece from these two bozos.

Comment

It actually isn't.
          There are an infinite amount of alternate universes. Running into similar ones is expected. But Daedalus Variations also showed a universe where Atlantis' star already went into a big giant (suggesting massive differences).
          Nothing like that happened, so we can safely conclude that all alternate universes have something that constant in all of them and makes no room for an alternate universe like the universe from the original film among them.
          Absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence. Imagine for a moment that the Asgard were the dominant species in the Milky way. They almost never use stargates, so what are the odds that in that specific window of time they used a stargate aimed in the correct way that they would intersect the black hole and go to the SGC in an alternate universe.

In stead, it suggests that meetings with Alternate Universes are inherently biased: only a universe reasonably close to ours would meet the specifications to suffer the Ripple Effect: Any universe in which the Goa'uld won, there would be no SG team out adventuring. So they wouldn't know our code. Any universe in which the code is different, they wouldn't be coming through. Any universe that is totally alien to us might not even have Stargates.

I think it's fairly clear that the Multiverse is massive and that we simply never ventured that far from our probability space.

Comment

OK, seems like I have to use my Trump Card. (No.It's not THAT Trump)
            The original Stargate film took place in a different Galaxy,... far far away from ours. The planet Abydos in the TV franchise was in the Milky Way, but in the film it was in an unknown, distant galaxy.
            I leave some space blank for that piece of information to settle in.

OK. So how would a thing like a planet and entire species relocating from a "trillion light year" away galaxy into ours fits into an alternate universe.
            I'll tell you: It won't. Not in an infinity.

Anyway Devlin and Emmerich hate the TV shows, so they will probably distance the new films (if there will be any) from the them. If a new TV show gets made after those films: It won't use an alternate universe explanation for the differences it will have from the original TV shows. That would be just impractical: 1)New audience: A lot of fans, who grew up on the old TV shows probably wouldn't bother, so an explanation to the new generations would be kind of pointless.
            2)I bet that if a new TV show is made after the films than DD and RE would be in the helm. Even they are not that stupid to sell a good franchise twice.
            BUT, who knows, who knows.....

Comment

OK, seems like I have to use my Trump Card. (No.It's not THAT Trump)
              The original Stargate film took place in a different Galaxy,... far far away from ours. The planet Abydos in the TV franchise was in the Milky Way, but in the film it was in an unknown, distant galaxy.
              I leave some space blank for that piece of information to settle in.
              Since it is the only anomalous figure we have, i'd chalk it up to the SGC mistaking the signals as coming from too far away. It wouldn't be the first time we made such errors. I recall revolutionary outer space signals turning out to be a microwave oven.

Comment

And if the MALP was in the wormhole (thus dissasembled into molecules) how the heck could it transmit a signal of where it was anyhow??

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                  And if the MALP was in the wormhole (thus dissasembled into molecules) how the heck could it transmit a signal of where it was anyhow??
                  Presumably they gave it a radioactive tracer

Comment

Which SHOULDn'T have worked while it was dematerialized.. would it?

Comment

To answer that, you'd need to know how dematerialization works exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                        Which SHOULDn'T have worked while it was dematerialized.. would it?
                        They did it in the episode Red Sky. When they fixed the sun they traced it so the could stop inside the sun

Comment

Every time on the TV show they were able to trace the traveler, M.A.L.P. I mean if the distance calculation, measurement was wrong in the original film you'd bet your ass that Carter would've noticed that in the series and would have said something like: "General Hammond, I noticed an error in the distance calculation concerning the 1994 Abydos mission. It appears that after recalculation, the location of the planet Abydos is inside of our Galaxy, the Milky Way, Sir."
                          After all a mistake like that would stick out like a fly in a tomato soup.

Any way why on Earth you want it so bad for the universe of the original film to fit in the universe of the TV show. It's not like it would broke the continuity if they were to stay separate. Devlin and Emmerich will probably make a more complete separation if they continue the story from the ending of the original film, which would be the most logic decision concerning the franchise.

If a new TV show is to be made I'd like it to be different as well if Devlin and Emmerich directed it. That way they wouldn't mock the "sanctity" or bring shame on the old TV show.

Comment

http://www.empireonline.com/movies/n...now-exclusive/

Looks like it's not happening anymore.
                            sigpic
                            Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Well, that's that then... But I do love his reasonings, and he does have a point that it's all about numbers these days and not so much the content, which is sad.
                              Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Every time on the TV show they were able to trace the traveler, M.A.L.P. I mean if the distance calculation, measurement was wrong in the original film you'd bet your ass that Carter would've noticed that in the series and would have said something like: "General Hammond, I noticed an error in the distance calculation concerning the 1994 Abydos mission. It appears that after recalculation, the location of the planet Abydos is inside of our Galaxy, the Milky Way, Sir."
                                After all a mistake like that would stick out like a fly in a tomato soup.
                                Although that conversation probably took place, keep in mind that there's quite a time gap between the Movie and series. They simply never bothered to show us that conversation and by the time the series happened, it was common knowledge that it wasn't on the other side of the universe.

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard View Post
                                http://www.empireonline.com/movies/n...now-exclusive/

Looks like it's not happening anymore.
                                I saw an announcement on that new movie of his and thought "well, does this mean Stargate is cancelled?"

Oh well. Can't feel sad for something we knew nothing about.

Comment

Working...
                                X