Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ID4 #2 does poorly.. will that impact the SG reboot films?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Peterking72 View Post
    I'll no more consider canon the new SG films than I did SW 7. To me the expanded universe is CANON and Disney Wars can go f@#*k itself.
    Dude, language.

The "new" Stargate trilogy will be canon in its own verse, while SG1/SGA/SGU will be canon in their own verse.

SWVII, on the other hand, is canon in the 'verse of the other 6 -- and much better than episode 1 to 3. It is back to episode 4 to 6 with 7 (and I imagine 8).
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I don't consider it bombing.. Yes it made less in the opening weekend than ID4 did, but it still made a profit of nearly 200 mil..

Comment

I hope their SG reboot gets shelved for good so it doesn't ruin the SG tv franchise for good because RE and DD can't seem to grasp the concept that SG is not in the same league ST or SW not even close and I do think ID doing badly and having no buzz will hurt RE and DD so there is hope for us I really hate being this negative it is against my nature
        sigpic
        My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
        poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Comment

And I hope it doesn't get shelved.

I want to see what they have in mind. Their Stargate and the SG1 verse are two different entities.

Besides I love Devlin's other works such as Leverage and The Librarians.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
            I want to see what they have in mind. Their Stargate and the SG1 verse are two different entities.
            Even the original movie is barely a thing in most TV fans minds. I was barely aware of it until, s8 or so of Atlantis. Fans have ignored other things before, they can do it now.

The SW expanded universe contains a lot of crap. A LOT of crap. Yet fans ignore that crap too. The prequels were mediocre and fans ignored that too.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
              Even the original movie is barely a thing in most TV fans minds. I was barely aware of it until, s8 or so of Atlantis. Fans have ignored other things before, they can do it now.

The SW expanded universe contains a lot of crap. A LOT of crap. Yet fans ignore that crap too. The prequels were mediocre and fans ignored that too.

Like the Christmas Special...oh God...I said to much.
              By Nolamom
              sigpic

Comment

And I hope it doesn't get shelved.

Besides I love Devlin's other works such as Leverage and The Librarians.
                so it's a multiverse parallel universes for you ok whatever works I have seen Leverage some of it and I will give you it's interesting so if and when this comes out I will wait for your review and my other fellow Gate Worlders to see if I will even bother
                sigpic
                My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
                poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Comment

That's my mentality too. It works for Star Trek because it's a feature of the franchise (opinions on the actual content aside). It can work for Stargate too because we've had alternate universes since the very first season.

Personally I'm really keen to see where they go with the movies. I really enjoyed the alternate take based on their concepts that Bill McCay wrote and I'm interested to see where the originators go with it.
                  sigpic
                  Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

It's not the same like in Star Trek or Star Wars. In those they changed almost everything, but still kept the continuity: Spock is still spocky, Kirk is quirky and so on...I can still relate to those characters in a way. Star Wars basically continued the old Saga, however displeased the fans are (me included) with the sloppy SW VII: The Force Awakens.
                    But in Stargate they can't explain it away by alternate universe and here is why:
                    1) Goa'ulds: Ra's race. In the original film they did not reveal the name of the alien race. We learn little about their culture. The only glimpse we got about how the species looks like is when the nuke is about to blew up Ra's mother ship. In that picture the species looks like a humanoid-cat hybrid (possibly because RE and DD thought: Humanoid alien race masquerading as Egyptian gods->Egyptians worshipped cats->Let's make the aliens look like humanoid cats.) We still didn't know if their true bodies was under the skin of the human host body/skin or they could morph between the two at will.
                    I can see why did the TV show went with snakes instead.
                    2)In the TV show they kind of invented the Jaffa race too. I mean we did see Ra guards wearing a similar looking armor like they did in the movie, but they were just human guards in the movie. They didn't have snakes in their belly or have longevity or superhuman strength. In other Saga's alien races remain unchanged, both in name and appearance. New races are being introduced periodically to freshen up the story, that's all.
                    3)The only alien weapons we see in the film is the staff rifle and the hand device. Other devices include the sarcophagus and the ring platform. In other Saga's like Star Wars and Star Trek weapons usually remain the same. Kirk still has a phaser. The Enterprise still fires photon torpedos. In Star Wars Jedi still use lightsaber, rebels still fire the same laser pistols/rifles they did in the "old" movies.
                    4)In the TV series alternate universes exist but they are almost always identical to their counterparts. I mean the weapons are the same, the characters are the same etc. Granted that in some alternate universe the Goa'uld destroyed Earth, the Pegasus galaxy is being invaded by different aliens (Deadalus variations), etc.

So if the planned 2 movies continue where the old one left off there will be a huge retcon of all the stuff we loved about Stargate.
                    Basically what we would get is: Stargate: Decaf
                    The only reason why I would watch those movies(not in the theater of course, because I wouldn't pay a penny to those two shmucks) is to see if they would stole ideas from the TV show or they would be able to came up with something new. I wouldn't say original, because there is nothing new under the sun.

That's my final opinion on the matter.
                    sigpicHallowed are the Ori.

Comment

The only reason why I would watch those movies(not in the theater of course, because I wouldn't pay a penny to those two shmucks) is to see if they would stole ideas from the TV show or they would be able to came up with something new. I wouldn't say original, because there is nothing new under the sun.
                      It would be their vision and how they wanted to continue. Not what the creators of SG1 envisioned it. Two different universes.

Comment

@Falcon Horus:

I know that. I just said that it wouldn't be an alternate universe but a universe that is completely separate from the TV series' universe and continuum. Elite Anubis Guard's statement in the matter that this alternate universe thing would be similar to Star Trek is wrong. Also in Star Trek they went back in time and basically "retconned" the whole saga and all series leaving only old Spock to know what has transpired in the old timeline.
                        There are many theories as to what happens when a new timeline is created. Some argues that the timeline is the same timeline as the original just altered, others say that the altered timeline creates it's own parallel universe and the original continues unchanged. We will likely never know.

Anyhow if they do it they better be doing it so it can spawn another great series or continue the old (excluding SGU).

Comment

I'm not familiar with alternate timelines in Star Trek -- I see them more or less as separate entities, valueing each in their own way.

Comment

I'm not familiar with alternate timelines in Star Trek -- I see them more or less as separate entities, valueing each in their own way.
                            AFAIK star trek uses actual timeline overwriting (so the old universe no longer exist). Star Wars plainly ignores the expanded universe.

Stargate however uses the idea that each alternate timeline is an alternate universe, in stead of an actual overwrite. Any reboot can simply be seen as one of the many similar-but-different universes. Especially since we've long left the original universe in SG1 S01E01 behind. I think we're at our 4th or 5th universe now?

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                              AFAIK star trek uses actual timeline overwriting (so the old universe no longer exist). Star Wars plainly ignores the expanded universe.

Stargate however uses the idea that each alternate timeline is an alternate universe, in stead of an actual overwrite. Any reboot can simply be seen as one of the many similar-but-different universes. Especially since we've long left the original universe in SG1 S01E01 behind. I think we're at our 4th or 5th universe now?
                              You're right about Star Trek, but not Stargate:

You see in Stargate every alternate universes have something constant: goa'ulds are cruel, despotic, megalomaniac, egotistic figures who like to dress up and act like they're gods. Every alternate universe featured goa'ulds as parasitic snake like symbiotes. Every alternate universe had an SG-1, even if the members were not always Jack, Daniel, Carter and Teal'c. In the original film there is no Teal'c or Carter either and no Hammond, Doc Fraiser or any other staff member that we knew from the TV show. Instead we would likely still stuck with General West and co.
                              Every alternate universe had Ancients,Asgards and possibly Nox and Furlings too.
                              If we would try to fit the original film into an alternate universe... Well, you see my point. I hope you all see it now
                              So if I would have to place this new show I would go with a hard reset and a complete retcon.

Regarding alternate universes I think we are in the 7th, according to the TV shows. I'm not counting SGU.

Let's count them out: 1st universe SG1 (1969)->2nd universe: SG1 (2010 and 2001)->3rd universe: SG1 (Moebious) Now this one is tricky, because there is multiple timelines: Original-alternate-Close to original, but it still counts as one so->4th universe: SGA Before I sleep->5th universe: SG 1 (Continuum)->6th universe: SGA (The last man (I))->7th universe.

There can be some debate whether SG1 went back to their own reality from the alternative reality in SG1: Point Of View.
                              Because they had to "close" the Quantum Mirror to prevent the enemy from seeing it.

As for Star Wars: I still consider the Expanded universe as canon despite this obnoxious 7th Episode. I just hope George Lucas will regret selling "his" saga to the "Company with the Mouse".

Comment

Basically what we would get is: Stargate: Decaf

That's my final opinion on the matter.
                                There won't be any ideas taken from the stargate we love. RE and DD have said in interviews that they despise everything about the series. They don't consider anything about it to be real Stargate

Comment

Working...
                                X