Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is any of the technology in stargate possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
    yea but i haven't seen a single case where they kept plasma in flight. Keeping it stable in a bottle isn't so hard, but having a blob sustain itself for hundreds of kilometers is quite a different task.

oh in that aspect you're right, yes.

tbh, from what i've seen of Stargate's computing capacity, we'll far, FAR exceed it.
    Don't think it'd be so hard to in space. Pretty sure that plasma is ejected in coronal mass ejections.

Don't think we'll far exceed Stargate's computing capacity. It is my belief that stargate's computing capacities have to be ftl since they usually have to map out the region ahead of them, calculate/compute trajectories, and implement them whenever they travel someplace. We're still stuck at light information traveling in semi-conductive material (so they're traveling slower than speed of light) and so we still have yet to surpass the speed of light barrier. Plus with stargates in the galaxy, there's even a larger barrier to surpass cause you could disseminate information much faster using the gates seeded in the galaxy.

Comment

Pretty sure that plasma is ejected in coronal mass ejections.
      It's not the plasma itself but rather keeping it as something like a blob, beam or other useful form. That, and even a CME has plasma expand in every direction at absurd speeds.

Comment

yea but i haven't seen a single case where they kept plasma in flight. Keeping it stable in a bottle isn't so hard, but having a blob sustain itself for hundreds of kilometers is quite a different task.
        The only way I can think of to make it possible is that the "blob" is actually some kind of intentionally combustible solid projectile optimized to ignite due to atmospheric friction at extreme velocities into some kind of high temperature plasma that just happens to glow in color X.

It doesn't work though because if that's what was going on these things would be insanely fast. Many many times faster than bullets for sure, just to keep them coherent over any kind of useful range, and when they hit a person... whoo boy... hope you weren't shooting for a PG-13 rating.

Comment

With Nasa's shuttle in retirement, it opened up a huge gap and being reliant on the russians is bad for pricing, safety and stability (since a near-monopoly is never great unless you're the one having it).
          IMHO the US being reliant on the Russians is better for the sake of the human race than the US being in charge of it all, if the US and Russia become proper allies then that's a good thing and would reduce the chance of other unfriendly countries starting WW3...
          We have to all work together and go beyond our petty differences before we leave the planet..

Comment

Originally posted by Trig View Post
            IMHO the US being reliant on the Russians is better for the sake of the human race than the US being in charge of it all, if the US and Russia become proper allies then that's a good thing and would reduce the chance of other unfriendly countries starting WW3...
            We have to all work together and go beyond our petty differences before we leave the planet..
            Yea i wasn't talking about that. Russian rockets have a tendency to..explode and fail. Not that the Americans are free of explody-failing rockets, but if i could pick, it's russian rockets all the way.

Not that it was pure-USA anyway: russian rockets have commonly been used for sattelites etc. It's that having no alternatives sucks.

Comment

ww3 will start in less than a decade... don't worry about that...

anyhow, in the stargate verse the tech is acquired by ancients over 50million+ years... i am sure if our puny society does not wipe itself out in the next 100 years we will have our physicist prove a lot more theoretical stuff that could make this all plausible atleast... the asgards/goauld/wraith/nox and any other advanced society, all back engineered stuff from the ancient knowledge...

Comment

When you say certain things are impossible its not really true. If you are talking about an advanced civilization anything is possible, nothing is off limits. Right now we have our limits but who knows what kind of technology is being created right now or has been created by the military but like Stargate was kept classified and remained that way to the public. When you're talking about aliens the impossible as we know could be possible to them.

Comment

Originally posted by jfarrell327 View Post
                  When you say certain things are impossible its not really true.
                  So far, science has made science fiction only harder, not easier. The more we've learned in the past the more we've realized is not possible. Wormholes once were thought possible to the pasts because of Einstein but it's obvious now that such a thing fundamentally can not exist.

Things i've said to be impossible aren't because of a technical limit but because of a fundamentally physical limit.

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
                    I doubt it. The telephone was invented well over 100 years ago.
                    But it couldn't do long distance yet alone the other side of the world.

Comment

And you think people of the time thought it never would?

Comment

Originally posted by DarkstyleR View Post
                        Is any of the technology in stargate possible. I don't mean like the stargates itself but maybe something like the shuttles, FTL and more basic stuff (well FTL doesn't seem so basic , but you get my point.)Could we in fact in the next 100-200 years achieve interstellar travel ?
                        I don't know much about the science and theories behind technology so I'm useless when it comes to debating that. However, I know humans are a creative lot so it honestly wouldn't surprise me if we managed to achieve that.

Comment

Thing is theres no push to do it, all the big spenders are quite happy to sit around burning oil and spending money on "defence" and the likes where we should of grown past all of that by now.
                          Unless we get attacked by aliens theres no push to get back out among the stars when we can sit here and just blow ourselves up...

Comment

Well, kinda.
                            The rail guns are the BC 304 are real already.

There are prototype stun weapons that are kinda like zats, using a high voltage electric discharge to hit a target to stun him. It's not a two shot kill though and it definitely won't disintegrate.

Ancient drones are just swarms of guided mini-misiles and those are already in the works (there's even talk about replacing huge missiles with swarms of tiny ones because once a target is done for the rest of the missiles can deactivate because overkill = wasted money/resources)

The plasma beam is shooting a concentrated beam of super-heated liquid. We use water cannons to shoot concentrated beams of water. Larger ones have the power to push over a truck. Small ones can cut an apple in half.

Replicators are a mix of two machines already in the works. MIT built a system of small machines that assemble themselves into a variety of shapes. There's another machine made to replicate by consuming surrounding materials (but this particular project is not looking good because the funding for it is off the charts). In fact, scientists feared the latter would start replicating out of control. It was actually listed as a possible doomsday scenario, right under nuclear holocaust.

Actual plasma weaponry is an iffy thing. They did make a firearm built to fire paintball pellets filled with acids/volatile fluids. Fill it with plasma and you got a plasma gun. But, the gun that I was talking about got scrapped because it was considered an accident waiting to happen. If a projectile weapon messes up, you get jammed guns and maybe an exploding one. You might get scorched hands that you can fix with a little time under medical attention. The paintball gun filled with dangerous fluids...if that doesn't work properly then all the medical attention in the world isn't going to help you.

Shields are also iffy. They are able to generate a field that affects the trajectory of bullets. It won't stop them dead in their tracks but it does make them veer off course. Of course, this does sometimes cause problems. During their testing of shooting a paper target, the shooter was aimed at the body but the bullet veered into the forehead.

So, we kinda have these. Scifi is built on what ifs and expansions of current technologies. We have battleships. What is we have a flying battleship? We have fighter jets. What if our fighter jets could go in space?

sigpic
                            Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
                            https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

Comment

Originally posted by Trig View Post
                              Thing is theres no push to do it, all the big spenders are quite happy to sit around burning oil and spending money on "defence" and the likes where we should of grown past all of that by now.
                              Unless we get attacked by aliens theres no push to get back out among the stars when we can sit here and just blow ourselves up...
                              Yea about that. I think people underestimate the kind of technology we need to get "out among the stars".

Interstellar travel is and will be a pipe dream for at least another century.

However, as to getting to space i don't see why you're complaining. SpaceX is putting a ton of effort into slashing launch prices. If they continue like this, the competition is going to need to get on their best game pretty fast. Competition is good for prices and so in stead of sending a super-expensive space shuttle up there we can send a Dragon module up at like, a quarter of the price or less.

Planetary Resources and Deep Space Industries are two companies setting their sights on asteroid mining. We have rovers on mars, the chinese put a rover on the moon, the Voyager probes are in interstellar space.

AKA, soon we're about to be hit by the second golden age of space exploration.

Comment

Originally posted by Energizer_Vs_ZPM View Post
                                But it couldn't do long distance yet alone the other side of the world.
                                in 1914, people had a good idea of what could happen next. Flight bacame a reality, radio waves were being used for rudimentary communication. Telephones were around to provide real time voice communication. Cars were being manufactured. Movies were out there, and the possibility of adding sound to them wasn't debated. It wouldn't be a stretch of the imagination to believe that a system of atmosphere blimps with radio towers would allow radio real time communication around the world. The problem was how. Sixty years later, that problem was answered with SPACE. Really, the only thing they couldn't imagine was computer technology and microchips. They already were developing concepts of nuclear technology at that time. People seriously underestimate what we knew a hundred years ago, two years ago, especially three hundred years ago.

Yea about that. I think people underestimate the kind of technology we need to get "out among the stars".

Interstellar travel is and will be a pipe dream for at least another century.
                                And it's not even a matter of speed. We barely know what we are doing with interplanetary travel, we aren't even that good at orbital travel!!! Until manned spaced flight is as available and frequently used as atmospheric flight is, I don't think we are ready to seriously talk about interstellar travel.

We can imagine. As early as the later half of the 1800's people imagined interplanetary travel. That didn't become a reality for over 100 years. Actually, scratch that. Manned interplanetary travel doesn't and has never existed. The moon doesn't count. Talk about trying to run before you even know how to walk.
                                By Nolamom
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X