Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is any of the technology in stargate possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post
    Well there was that one episode where the Goa'uld assassin used a hand held held laser instead of the typical "coloured blob of doom". That would be possible. The limiting factors on making a hand held laser like that are powering and cooling it, but it's not straight out physically impossible the way "somehow contained blobs of something/plasma that travel slower than bullets" is.

That's pretty much all I got though.

I was going to say 302s were kind of possible to, since I didn't remember anything other than rocket engines and normal fighter stuff, but then I remembered how they turn like airplanes in space, so nope on those to.

Possible things:
    The link device from "Revisions", the one where all the inhabitants of a biodome have a device on their forehead that links them to a computer.

The Altair ("tin man")

The Game Chair ("gamekeeper")

Ancient Control Chair(which really is an inferior form of the Game Chair)

Ancient Recharge Plate (from Destiny)

Ancient space suit (from Destiny)

Stasis Pods (but not the way they work in Stargate)

Chimera (the asgard hologram thingey) but maybe not in that specific form

Galaran Memory Technology

Goa'uld escape pods (and the only sufficiently intelligent race to HAVE escape pods)

The particle accelerator (both sokar's and our own)

Tollan Health Implant (but it's probably gonna be a lot smaller)

Wraith goggles (that reminds me, Aris Boch's goggles too) since it's essentially Google Glass

Basically, the only realistic technologies are the ones that are used the least.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
      ever heard of mustard gas?
      Yes I did and I read more about it here too: http://science.howstuffworks.com/mustard-gas3.htm
      But it would've been impossible to produce sufficient amount to kill all human being or even bring our species to near extinction. To that you would've needed billions of gallons or more, no country could've pulled that off in WW1. Even with today's technology it would take years to produce that much mustard gas+containers+delivery system. Plus someone would've invented the protection suit earlier if the threat ever reached that high levels. Great inventions always happen under great pressure or in dire need and a war is the most direst of them all. They had the respirator, the suit was one leap away, so it wouldn't have been impossible.
      sigpicHallowed are the Ori.

Comment

Originally posted by Peterking72 View Post
        Yes I did and I read more about it here too:
        It's just one deadly substance among many. Mutated viruses, bacteria, even Botuline (a few kg of which is enough to kill everyone on earth, and it's put in people's lips under the name botox).

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
          I doubt it. The telephone was invented well over 100 years ago.
          Yeah but it didn't work right around the planet, only locally. Signal amplifiers of the valve or transister type were not invented at the time the phone was.

Comment

I think i derailed the thread

one technology that was possible and not shown... creation of zpms...

this is how to make a zpm by the means of asgard beam tech and the modified version of it that lets you materialize anything you put in the computer..

1. Beam a zpm into the core and out to where ever you want to take it.

2. record the data that the beam tech used to rematerialize the zpm at the destination.

3. use that data to beam down as many zpms as you want with the tech that lets you materialize anything you put in the core...

easy as hell... i suggested this simple method once but someone said that you might not be able to create a pocket universe that way and just meterliaze empty shells... i beg to differ with that as the beam tech is "wise" enough to dematerialize it and then rematerliaze it with ease... that rematerializing data is easy to reproduce if you have an asgard core... the zpm functions properly when it is transported that way so that mean the beam tech understands the "internals" of the zpm perfectly fine when it converts it all to pure energy and back to its physical form with the subspace pocket universe intact. The asgard core can easily use the data from beam tech to reproduce anything that it can dematerialize and rematerliaze e.g human beings even(soul is not an issue in this universe as is apparent from the clone stories that were used).... the potential of this tech is endless and by the end of season 3 we should be ashamed of the writers for letting common sense go... why not install asgard beam weapons by the dozen on atlantis? as they have gotten the production part for them down and drones are a hassle... an asgard core in atlantis might be difficult as that tech is heavier and maybe oddyessy is the only place for it and the energy to matter conversion tech that it has which can create anything you feed in it...

come to think of it why not install huge amounts of satellites in earth orbit(just like in denial's dream) equipped with asgard beams rather than rely on drones... i mean the writers for the series are not that creative and are only creative when they need to be... there are big common sense blunder in every episode of stargate(even though i love the series to death)...

well lets say all this cannot happen in that universe and the logic is different from the real universe... there are a few embarrassing situations in the series as the series is basically an action series which is all about military... one super embarrassing situation was in season six of sg-1 episode 5 nightwalkers from 37:15-38:00... the way the NID strike team was running in the middle of the road and the music in the background actually made me laugh at the cheap immitation... then when they entered a diner or was it a bar? and their guns were still but the laser pointers on their guns were randomly moving up and down or left and right was very funny... so funny that it was cute hahaha...

anyways, back to the "actual topic" ...

This technology is pretty doubtful... first the wormhole is not actually how a wormhole should work... aside from the limitations of the gate tech, a wormhole should allow matter to travel both way and that too in "matter" form rather than dematerialization occuring at the event horizon like the one shown in farscape... and the energy requirements should be so damn large that the mere power grid should not be able to provide it... i am not an astro physicist(lolz i know nothing really) but i suspect that the "wormhole" in the stargate series is not a wormhole... the even horizon is just a subspace window which sends you to another gate at the speed of light because an actual wormhole is bending of space between two points and the tunnel that results is a wormhole... that would require the amount of energy that is just too much... but i could be wrong...

shields and hyper drives should be possible but as far as i have read the ftl engines of destiny are maybe the most possible... for that tachyon particles can be used which are theoretical only though... the minimum speed of tachyons is faster than the speed of light and if a ship is to immerse itself in a tachyon particle field and takes intself out of the normal space time then it should be able to travel faster than the speeds of light due to the tachyons... this how i suspect "destiny" works as we see a field around it when it is travelling that fast... i have never really read anything about using subspace windows for ship travels as traveling in them is far shorter than real space and everything i have seen about them is basically in scifi... i am not much into star trek science but i think in that the space is moving and not the ship(don't know what that crap is about)... must be something about dark energy? who knows...

one thing that does annoy me is the lack of use of the sodan cloaks in the atlantis expedition when going into wraith ships... come to think of it, earth has encountered enough tech in the time of sg-1 that they should have been a bigger threat to the wraith then they were considering that the goauld were really really advanced even though their ships weren't as good as the asgard or the wraith(i think they were as good as wraith though)... lack of use of anubis drone warrior's armor and sodan cloaks did annoy me a lot... those drone armors weren't that hard to come by even if they were impossible for us to replicate but we could have made our own armor with a lot of gizmos like shields(the asgard armor was awesome and could have been easily made as we now know how to make shields)...

i wish to see a series a few decades after this current saga so that many of the advancements could have been applied(especially healing hand devices and sarcophagus) etc...

i forgot what i was ranting about so...

Comment

i say yes, many things that are in stagate may be possible. you have to remember that technology doubles and sometimes triples yearly or within several months. so things like hyperdives may not work exactly the same as the do on the show, the result will still be the same, us achieving interstellar or intergalactic travel.

Comment

Originally posted by Peterking72 View Post
                They're a possibility too, but they talking about it since the 90's. I rather put my chips on a flood (because the melting of the ice on the poles) and the taifuns, cunamis and hurricanes and other super storms to destroy the majority of the population. If not those, then a bio warfare or catastrophes like the one in Fukusima.
                The problem with flooding scenarios is they assume human beings will just stand still for 100 years, and attempt no measures to counteract the growing problem. Dykes, levees, mass resettlement, floating cities, it's not like we'd sit idly by while it happens.

As for even more dangerous events like nuclear war, supervolcanos, or even celestial events, the sooner we get out there into space and spread our seed, the better.

Can't have our eggs all in one basket, and the people who suggest we cut spending for space exploration under the logic the money is best spent fixing the earth are effectively arguing the merits of our extinction, and should be ignored.

Now that I'm thinking about it, does anyone else find it ironic that the goa'uld of Stargate, who are considered such a threat to the human race, effectively ensured their long term survivability when they spread their kind throughout the galaxy. Of course, they did it to ensure a ready supply of slaves, but the end result is the same nevertheless.

Comment

Originally posted by destiny khan View Post
                  Spoiler:
                  I think i derailed the thread

one technology that was possible and not shown... creation of zpms...

this is how to make a zpm by the means of asgard beam tech and the modified version of it that lets you materialize anything you put in the computer..

1. Beam a zpm into the core and out to where ever you want to take it.

2. record the data that the beam tech used to rematerialize the zpm at the destination.

3. use that data to beam down as many zpms as you want with the tech that lets you materialize anything you put in the core...

easy as hell... i suggested this simple method once but someone said that you might not be able to create a pocket universe that way and just meterliaze empty shells... i beg to differ with that as the beam tech is "wise" enough to dematerialize it and then rematerliaze it with ease... that rematerializing data is easy to reproduce if you have an asgard core... the zpm functions properly when it is transported that way so that mean the beam tech understands the "internals" of the zpm perfectly fine when it converts it all to pure energy and back to its physical form with the subspace pocket universe intact. The asgard core can easily use the data from beam tech to reproduce anything that it can dematerialize and rematerliaze e.g human beings even(soul is not an issue in this universe as is apparent from the clone stories that were used).... the potential of this tech is endless and by the end of season 3 we should be ashamed of the writers for letting common sense go... why not install asgard beam weapons by the dozen on atlantis? as they have gotten the production part for them down and drones are a hassle... an asgard core in atlantis might be difficult as that tech is heavier and maybe oddyessy is the only place for it and the energy to matter conversion tech that it has which can create anything you feed in it...

come to think of it why not install huge amounts of satellites in earth orbit(just like in denial's dream) equipped with asgard beams rather than rely on drones... i mean the writers for the series are not that creative and are only creative when they need to be... there are big common sense blunder in every episode of stargate(even though i love the series to death)...

well lets say all this cannot happen in that universe and the logic is different from the real universe... there are a few embarrassing situations in the series as the series is basically an action series which is all about military... one super embarrassing situation was in season six of sg-1 episode 5 nightwalkers from 37:15-38:00... the way the NID strike team was running in the middle of the road and the music in the background actually made me laugh at the cheap immitation... then when they entered a diner or was it a bar? and their guns were still but the laser pointers on their guns were randomly moving up and down or left and right was very funny... so funny that it was cute hahaha...

anyways, back to the "actual topic" ...

This technology is pretty doubtful... first the wormhole is not actually how a wormhole should work... aside from the limitations of the gate tech, a wormhole should allow matter to travel both way and that too in "matter" form rather than dematerialization occuring at the event horizon like the one shown in farscape... and the energy requirements should be so damn large that the mere power grid should not be able to provide it... i am not an astro physicist(lolz i know nothing really) but i suspect that the "wormhole" in the stargate series is not a wormhole... the even horizon is just a subspace window which sends you to another gate at the speed of light because an actual wormhole is bending of space between two points and the tunnel that results is a wormhole... that would require the amount of energy that is just too much... but i could be wrong...

shields and hyper drives should be possible but as far as i have read the ftl engines of destiny are maybe the most possible... for that tachyon particles can be used which are theoretical only though... the minimum speed of tachyons is faster than the speed of light and if a ship is to immerse itself in a tachyon particle field and takes intself out of the normal space time then it should be able to travel faster than the speeds of light due to the tachyons... this how i suspect "destiny" works as we see a field around it when it is travelling that fast... i have never really read anything about using subspace windows for ship travels as traveling in them is far shorter than real space and everything i have seen about them is basically in scifi... i am not much into star trek science but i think in that the space is moving and not the ship(don't know what that crap is about)... must be something about dark energy? who knows...

one thing that does annoy me is the lack of use of the sodan cloaks in the atlantis expedition when going into wraith ships... come to think of it, earth has encountered enough tech in the time of sg-1 that they should have been a bigger threat to the wraith then they were considering that the goauld were really really advanced even though their ships weren't as good as the asgard or the wraith(i think they were as good as wraith though)... lack of use of anubis drone warrior's armor and sodan cloaks did annoy me a lot... those drone armors weren't that hard to come by even if they were impossible for us to replicate but we could have made our own armor with a lot of gizmos like shields(the asgard armor was awesome and could have been easily made as we now know how to make shields)...

i wish to see a series a few decades after this current saga so that many of the advancements could have been applied(especially healing hand devices and sarcophagus) etc...

i forgot what i was ranting about so...
                  With the ZPM thing, I think you misunderstood what that someone else was saying about the empty shells bit. The Asgard core replication thing works on replicating things in our reality and materials that exist in our reality. But the ZPM's have some self-contained region of subspace time. This region doesn't fall under the Asgard core's replication possibilities cause that creation involves things outside of our standard spacetime things. Sure they can get all the materials, but that doesn't mean it'll be able to replicate that self-contained region of subspace time.

Tachyons are one of the most bs things I've seen in sci-fi. Disregarding the fact that they are only hypothesized in real science, not even theorized, just their existence in sci-fi even has some ridiculous implications. They are ftl which means anytime the crew makes a mistake, they can tachyons back in time to warn themselves from not doing that mistake because they are ftl. You would have so many causality violations. Just ridiculous. Also, I don't know if having some particle in some sci-fi universe extends to being able to create a field with said particles. In real science, many argue there are no particles, just fields.

You have to consider that they can't go all out with all the magical sci-fi devices/tech they have in that sci-fi universe. It'd make the story telling considerably more difficult, and they don't want to think of those resulting implications. They just handicap the usage of the advanced tech they have available to them to create the drama and tension of the conflicts. Obviously, some suspension of disbelief is required.

If you want to check out a cool sci-fi/space opera with some toned down and mostly grounded sci-fi concepts, check out Legend of the Galactic Heroes. It's pretty philosophical and less sci-fi though.

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post
                    Well there was that one episode where the Goa'uld assassin used a hand held held laser instead of the typical "coloured blob of doom". That would be possible. The limiting factors on making a hand held laser like that are powering and cooling it, but it's not straight out physically impossible the way "somehow contained blobs of something/plasma that travel slower than bullets" is.

That's pretty much all I got though.

I was going to say 302s were kind of possible to, since I didn't remember anything other than rocket engines and normal fighter stuff, but then I remembered how they turn like airplanes in space, so nope on those to.
                    Most of the technology is so ridiculously futuristic that I don't believe any of it is possible. It's not the fact that they are hard to reproduce, but more along the lines that they are not really based on any concept of physics and engineering that could give us a blue print of how to create them. Consider plasma beams: how can you propel plasma and get it to flow in a straight line? Senseless. What about teletransportion? There is simply no concept in physics of matter outside the subatomic level changing it's position in space without translocation. It is simply impossible.

Then, there are the technologies that are VAGUELY based on scientific principles and so "out there" in terms of feasibility that it is hopeless. Consider hyperdrives. They MIGHT be possible, but you'd have to prove several concepts from general relativity and quantum mechanics before we know for sure. There is an Italian physicist who conceived of something called an Alcubierre Drive. He beleives it's possible. I beg to differ.

Can we build a particle accelerator the size of a shoe box? Can we generate Gravitons and contain them, given that Gravitons are supposed to permeate everything? What about the energy? Bending time-space to travel to Alpha Centauri in a few hours would require an amount of energy thousands of times greater than the output of our Sun in a whole year. That is nonillions of tons of anti-matter being transformed into energy in a total annihiltion reaction at once. Even if we can generate it, how can we contain it inside a craft a few miles in length at best? This is so out there that I doubt that even 100 years from now we will have an idea how to do it.

The same for things like ZPMs. There MIGHT be a subspace. There MIGHT be a zero-point field. There MIGHT be a way to tap into it to derive zero-point energy. How to build a device that contains an area of subspace is something else. This is so, so, SO far beyond what we are capable off technically that it is hopeless. It will take us at least several centuries of scientific advancement for we to even conceive the principles that might allow us to bring such a technology to life, and then actually doing it might be a titanic chore even for our descendants in the 4th Millenia.

The only two technologies seen in Stargate that are almost certainly possible are replicators and terraforming. Creating computers the size of molecules that can self-replicate and evolve is almost certainly possible because we have the blueprint for it in biological evolution and the DNA(which stores date like a computer chip). The same for terraforming. Pushing a planet into "X" location from a star, changing it's atmosphere, etc, are almost certainly possible. But like with the creation of self-replicating nanocomputers, these are feats for a super-civilization and not for 21rst century scientists and engineers.

None of us alive today will witness any of these technologies come to fruition, unless by the time we are 90 or so medical science has advanced to enable multi-century lifespans. And even then, that is being optimistic, because some of these technologies are so vastly beyond our scientific understanding and even more so our technical ability to bring them about that even in the 4th Millenia bringing them about might prove to be very difficult or impossible.

Comment

Wel there are plenty of possible technologies in stargate. Most of them however involve the more niche episodes

Comment

Originally posted by NoobTau'ri View Post
                        Spoiler:
                        Most of the technology is so ridiculously futuristic that I don't believe any of it is possible. It's not the fact that they are hard to reproduce, but more along the lines that they are not really based on any concept of physics and engineering that could give us a blue print of how to create them. Consider plasma beams: how can you propel plasma and get it to flow in a straight line? Senseless. What about teletransportion? There is simply no concept in physics of matter outside the subatomic level changing it's position in space without translocation. It is simply impossible.

Then, there are the technologies that are VAGUELY based on scientific principles and so "out there" in terms of feasibility that it is hopeless. Consider hyperdrives. They MIGHT be possible, but you'd have to prove several concepts from general relativity and quantum mechanics before we know for sure. There is an Italian physicist who conceived of something called an Alcubierre Drive. He beleives it's possible. I beg to differ.

Can we build a particle accelerator the size of a shoe box? Can we generate Gravitons and contain them, given that Gravitons are supposed to permeate everything? What about the energy? Bending time-space to travel to Alpha Centauri in a few hours would require an amount of energy thousands of times greater than the output of our Sun in a whole year. That is nonillions of tons of anti-matter being transformed into energy in a total annihiltion reaction at once. Even if we can generate it, how can we contain it inside a craft a few miles in length at best? This is so out there that I doubt that even 100 years from now we will have an idea how to do it.

The same for things like ZPMs. There MIGHT be a subspace. There MIGHT be a zero-point field. There MIGHT be a way to tap into it to derive zero-point energy. How to build a device that contains an area of subspace is something else. This is so, so, SO far beyond what we are capable off technically that it is hopeless. It will take us at least several centuries of scientific advancement for we to even conceive the principles that might allow us to bring such a technology to life, and then actually doing it might be a titanic chore even for our descendants in the 4th Millenia.

The only two technologies seen in Stargate that are almost certainly possible are replicators and terraforming. Creating computers the size of molecules that can self-replicate and evolve is almost certainly possible because we have the blueprint for it in biological evolution and the DNA(which stores date like a computer chip). The same for terraforming. Pushing a planet into "X" location from a star, changing it's atmosphere, etc, are almost certainly possible. But like with the creation of self-replicating nanocomputers, these are feats for a super-civilization and not for 21rst century scientists and engineers.

None of us alive today will witness any of these technologies come to fruition, unless by the time we are 90 or so medical science has advanced to enable multi-century lifespans. And even then, that is being optimistic, because some of these technologies are so vastly beyond our scientific understanding and even more so our technical ability to bring them about that even in the 4th Millenia bringing them about might prove to be very difficult or impossible.
                        Lasers are a form of plasma. It's collimated (travels in a straight line). There's other kinds of plasma that you can probably direct in a straight line using external fields.

Your standard tv has particle accelerators in them, often smaller than a shoebox. Then there are plenty of other research based instrumentation that have particle accelerators (cathode ray tubes are widely used in almost every field of science).

Gravitons have yet to be observed. So far, it's only theorized.

I don't know if the most two feasible technologies from Stargate are replicators and terraforming. With replicators, you have to be able to transform matter to something you can manipulate. We've barely even managed to get 3d printers which fairly crude at the moment. They don't even involve phase change. Not only that, you also have to develop an AI system for the replicators. You have to touch on extremely difficult problems in computer science such as the unsolved P vs. NP problem (one of the 7 Millennium Prize Problem, you win a million dollars if you can solve it). We're far from some competant form of AI.

With terraforming, you can't really push a planet. The planets are there because of conservation of angular momentum and their mass along with some other conservation laws. So the only way I could see realistically pushing a planet would involve changing the mass. But moving that amount of mass to change the orbit would be such an enormous task. Not only that, you affect the gravitational effects on all the other orbits. Things would start getting wacky. It's hard enough to solve two-body problems. Even 3 body problems are yet unsolved except numerically, I think. Even those take a long time to generate approximate solutions. Imagine extending this to many body problems when you consider a solar system as a whole. You have planets, moons, asteroids, etc.

Changing the atmosphere involves a whole slew of other problems. One way to illustrate this is to simple consider the case of Mars. Mars has an atmosphere but it pretty thin. Now one of the biggest problem with Mars isn't the atmosphere initially but if Mars can retain that atmosphere or if it just blows out to space. You see Mars doesn't have much of a magnetic field around it. That magnetic field is responsible for a lot of our atmospheric conditions. We have one because our core generates it. Mars' core doesn't generate one. We'd have to "ignite" it somehow so it can even maintain a magnetic field. Even that small issue is a huge problem. You can imagine many others such as transportation of the proper chemicals and whatnot that makes up our atmosphere and transporting large amounts of water if necessary. There is no simple terraforming aspects that doesn't spawn a whole slew of other problems.

Comment

Originally posted by jmoz View Post
                          Lasers are a form of plasma. It's collimated (travels in a straight line). There's other kinds of plasma that you can probably direct in a straight line using external fields.
                          uhm.. no

lasers are beams of light. What makes them so useful is that they're a neatly organized form of light at 1 specific wavelength.

Your standard tv has particle accelerators in them, often smaller than a shoebox. Then there are plenty of other research based instrumentation that have particle accelerators (cathode ray tubes are widely used in almost every field of science).
                          Yea except that they have very little energy in them. besides, the "standard" tv only applies to these big old honking tv's and not modern plasma or LCD's.

I don't know if the most two feasible technologies from Stargate are replicators and terraforming. With replicators, you have to be able to transform matter to something you can manipulate. We've barely even managed to get 3d printers which fairly crude at the moment. They don't even involve phase change.
                          Well a 3D printer isn't really what you need. You need advanced lithography and the ability to manipulate individual atoms (both of which we can do, by the way). You need to design self-assembling molecules and nanostructures. Both of which we've done (like the smallest ever car consisting of some 100 atoms or so).

But most of all: you need to be able to do all that we've done, but at greater ease, greater capacity, greater precision and on a much greater and extensive scale.

Not only that, you also have to develop an AI system for the replicators. You have to touch on extremely difficult problems in computer science such as the unsolved P vs. NP problem (one of the 7 Millennium Prize Problem, you win a million dollars if you can solve it). We're far from some competant form of AI.
                          i do not believe you really need a replicator AI like that. We have simple self-coordinating robot swarms (limited in number and scope though).

With terraforming, you can't really push a planet.
                          there's no need to. Looking at the Kepler data, there are plenty of earth-likes out there. The main problem would be making them suitable for earth-life rather than life itself (given the history of our earth, it's likely that most of such planets would have some primitive form of algae life)

I still find it weird that people consider the most magical aspects of stargate the most likely though. I think we'd sooner have a flight interface like the Puddlejumper or an Ancient Chair than that we're building true replicators.

Comment

Gravitons have yet to be observed. So far, it's only theorized.

I don't know if the most two feasible technologies from Stargate are replicators and terraforming. With replicators, you have to be able to transform matter to something you can manipulate. We've barely even managed to get 3d printers which fairly crude at the moment. They don't even involve phase change. Not only that, you also have to develop an AI system for the replicators. You have to touch on extremely difficult problems in computer science such as the unsolved P vs. NP problem (one of the 7 Millennium Prize Problem, you win a million dollars if you can solve it). We're far from some competant form of AI.

With terraforming, you can't really push a planet. The planets are there because of conservation of angular momentum and their mass along with some other conservation laws. So the only way I could see realistically pushing a planet would involve changing the mass. But moving that amount of mass to change the orbit would be such an enormous task. Not only that, you affect the gravitational effects on all the other orbits. Things would start getting wacky. It's hard enough to solve two-body problems. Even 3 body problems are yet unsolved except numerically, I think. Even those take a long time to generate approximate solutions. Imagine extending this to many body problems when you consider a solar system as a whole. You have planets, moons, asteroids, etc.

Changing the atmosphere involves a whole slew of other problems. One way to illustrate this is to simple consider the case of Mars. Mars has an atmosphere but it pretty thin. Now one of the biggest problem with Mars isn't the atmosphere initially but if Mars can retain that atmosphere or if it just blows out to space. You see Mars doesn't have much of a magnetic field around it. That magnetic field is responsible for a lot of our atmospheric conditions. We have one because our core generates it. Mars' core doesn't generate one. We'd have to "ignite" it somehow so it can even maintain a magnetic field. Even that small issue is a huge problem. You can imagine many others such as transportation of the proper chemicals and whatnot that makes up our atmosphere and transporting large amounts of water if necessary. There is no simple terraforming aspects that doesn't spawn a whole slew of other problems.
                            1. A laser is not plasma, but light. That is what "laser" is. It's an acronym for "Light Amplification By Stimulated Emission Of Radiation."

2. I never claimed Gravitons exist. If you read my post, I specifically said that bringing about many of the technologies seen in sci-fi, such as hyperdrives, according to the theories that many physicists have, would require proving several concepts from general relativity and quantum theory that are yet unproven. I used the existence of Gravitons as an example of something that must be demonstrated before we can even think about ways of bringing about such technologies.

You are basically agreeing with me.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                              Spoiler:
                              uhm.. no

lasers are beams of light. What makes them so useful is that they're a neatly organized form of light at 1 specific wavelength.

Yea except that they have very little energy in them. besides, the "standard" tv only applies to these big old honking tv's and not modern plasma or LCD's.

Well a 3D printer isn't really what you need. You need advanced lithography and the ability to manipulate individual atoms (both of which we can do, by the way). You need to design self-assembling molecules and nanostructures. Both of which we've done (like the smallest ever car consisting of some 100 atoms or so).

But most of all: you need to be able to do all that we've done, but at greater ease, greater capacity, greater precision and on a much greater and extensive scale.

i do not believe you really need a replicator AI like that. We have simple self-coordinating robot swarms (limited in number and scope though).

there's no need to. Looking at the Kepler data, there are plenty of earth-likes out there. The main problem would be making them suitable for earth-life rather than life itself (given the history of our earth, it's likely that most of such planets would have some primitive form of algae life)

I still find it weird that people consider the most magical aspects of stargate the most likely though. I think we'd sooner have a flight interface like the Puddlejumper or an Ancient Chair than that we're building true replicators.
                              Yeah, that's right. My mistake about lasers. Some lasers do produce plasma. And you can still have directed collimated plasma through manipulation of fields, and they do do that in plasma physics. Basically what most particle accelerators do these days.

Yeah, was just saying that they have really small particle accelerators nowdays. They have ones that are the size of a rice grain even. Energy considerations really depend on what function you want to carry out. Quantized energy levels and bandgap stuff and whatnot force contingency stuff with regards to what function you want to carry out.

Was saying we're not nearly close to the point of replicators, 3d printing is a precursor to such technology in a far more crude form. MEMs/NEMs are usually constructed with singular purpose. Replicators would require construction of multiple such structures and interfaces between them. You also need machines that can make MEMs/NEMs which do not exist at a micro-scale. Replicators would have to have macro-scale construction capacity as well as micro-scale construction capacity.

So this is where some form of an AI would be required. You would need some logical cpu and programming capable of functioning things at the macro and micro scale. Not only that, you'd need to carry out measurement readings in the forms of various kinds of spectrometry to determine if materials you encounter are usable. Certain NEMs/MEMs can't just be made out of any material, you need specific material and a specific process (creating a partial vacuum first with the material inside then probably some kind thermal or electrochemical deposition along with a whole slew of other things such as initial set up, monitoring, etc.). The whole process would have to be monitored in real time with lots of contingencies. You really do need some kind of advanced AI for such replication process. It's difficult enough with just even people doing it. They haven't even begun to map out the entire process in the industrial/manufacturing end to even have achieved autonomy (independent from human involvement). It's very far off. Even advanced aircraft with some AI require human intervention/interaction. And that's on a macro-scale. Having to do stuff at the micro-sclae and autonomously? Very far off.

Yeah, was talking about terraforming a planet in general and in response to what NoobTau'ri was suggesting about pushing a planet. Anyways, terraforming is kind of secondary at the moment to just getting there; getting to other planets/moons, even within our solar system is difficult enough.

One thing they're currently working on is quantum computing stuff. The computing capacity in stargate are probably operating at FTL. I don't know much about quantum computing, spin and entanglement stuff. There's the potential there to reach stargate's level of computing capacity.

Comment

Basically what most particle accelerators do these days.
                                yea but i haven't seen a single case where they kept plasma in flight. Keeping it stable in a bottle isn't so hard, but having a blob sustain itself for hundreds of kilometers is quite a different task.

Was saying we're not nearly close to the point of replicators
                                oh in that aspect you're right, yes.

There's the potential there to reach stargate's level of computing capacity.
                                tbh, from what i've seen of Stargate's computing capacity, we'll far, FAR exceed it.

Comment

Working...
                                X