Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is any of the technology in stargate possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I may wrong about this, but some of the gadgets from the 60s Star Trek show were not in exisitance then are now a part of every day life, example: the communation device that fliped open.

So imo, it could happen.

Comment

If something can be imagined...it can be made possible, someday, somehow, somewhere..... everything we have today starts with an idea and many of those ideas people would never have though possible until someone made it happen.
      sigpic

www.facebook.com/pages/DavidNyklFans/402742713123717

Comment

100 years ago if you told someone you could communicate with the other side of the world in real time (not that they'd understand the term real time back then) they'd laugh at you.

Now it's done daily by anyone using the web.

New tech isn't so much a case of new tech, it's people developing new smaller technologies that someone else then realises they can bolt together to serve another purpose. Until all the right ingredients are invented in various places to make up the new larger bit of kit for the job (FTL for example) then it won't happen.

Happily though, we're quite an inventive race.. or at least the chinese are!

Comment

Originally posted by Energizer_Vs_ZPM View Post
          100 years ago if you told someone you could communicate with the other side of the world in real time (not that they'd understand the term real time back then) they'd laugh at you.
          I doubt it. The telephone was invented well over 100 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Peterking72 View Post
            We better forget interstellar travel at all. They say that this warp-drive might pull off some amazing speeds if it ever going to see the light of day. The main problem as many of us said is energy. I can't even fathom the amount of energy that is needed to "bend" space.
            Interstellar travel isn't THAT hard. The main problem isn't technology but time. We're dealing with huge distances, and crossing these takes time. What the exact result is depends on what we achieve first: Fixing human space travel or making a true AI.

There's a documentary on Discovery called Evacuating Earth which shows roughly what such an interstellar craft looks like, but travelling to the next star, depending on what we do with more casual space travel, could be achieved this century or the next.

I can't even fathom the amount of energy that is needed to "bend" space.
            Not that much, actually. well that's not entirely true, it depends on how far it needs to be bent. Earth is bending space right now.

The most important step in casual spacetravel is being made right now by SpaceX, and the next giant leap for mankind is Deep Space Industries (mining an Asteroid)

Happily though, we're quite an inventive race.. or at least the chinese are!
            ... what is that supposed to mean?

Comment

When on earth the SG team members communicate through small, handheld devices to one another just by punching in a few numbers on a keypad. Also, the show depicts the ability to travel from Cheyenne Mountain to the Pentagon by either riding in a flying vessel or in an 'automobile'. I think I've seen one somewhere.

Comment

There won't be a 22nd century and the world will end before that...

and when it comes to this technology then sure, it is all possible atleast theoretically... but it would need a thousand year to have everything like this possible and i don't think this planet is gonna last that long...

Comment

Originally posted by destiny khan View Post

and when it comes to this technology then sure, it is all possible atleast theoretically... but it would need a thousand year to have everything like this possible and i don't think this planet is gonna last that long...
                  our technology will be a lot further in 1000 years than the ancients'

Comment

Originally posted by destiny khan View Post

You really don't understand the tech curve do you?
                    I won't argue that we may find a way to kill eachother by then, we could do it NOW, and have had that ability for 80 odd years.
                    We have not, I take some measure of comfort in that fact.
                    sigpic
                    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                      You really don't understand the tech curve do you?
                      I won't argue that we may find a way to kill eachother by then, we could do it NOW, and have had that ability for 80 odd years.
                      We have not, I take some measure of comfort in that fact.
                      Well we have an ice age and a supervolcano "about" to happen.

Comment

@Gatefan1976: We didn't have the ability to kill ourselves 80 years ago. America dropped the first atomic bomb in 1945, in the conclusion of WW2. After that the two major powers thad had enough atom to kill each other off were the USA and the USSR. It is not until after the end of Cold War that more and more nations begun to strive for atomic power.
                        Secondly we didn't have the need to kill off ourselves 80 years ago. Neither do we have the need now, but certain groups have a very keen interest to decrease the Earth's population to "manageable" limits. Yes, we are already overpopulated and the more agressive approach, which also horrific and inhuman is to kill off the excess population. War is a way to do that or a result of doing it.
                        When we "only" had the atomic bomb the problem was that with a nuke you can't control who do you kill. It kills off everyone where it's dropped, it doesn't discriminate whether you are young, rich, old or poor, black, yellow or white skinned. Now we have bio weapons which we could "program" who we want to kill. For example we want to kill people with blue eyes. Scientist "program" a virus that do that. Military drops the bomb, puff, no more blue eyed people, but all the green, black, grey, brown, hazel eyed people were spared. So you may ask the question: When? until one day it happens and then will you ask :Why?

Sorry to be so negative, but better to fear the worst and be ready for it than panic and be surprised when it happens.
                        sigpicHallowed are the Ori.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                          Well we have an ice age and a supervolcano "about" to happen.
                          They're a possibility too, but they talking about it since the 90's. I rather put my chips on a flood (because the melting of the ice on the poles) and the taifuns, cunamis and hurricanes and other super storms to destroy the majority of the population. If not those, then a bio warfare or catastrophes like the one in Fukusima.
                          sigpicHallowed are the Ori.

Comment

imo, the next revolution in space travel will happen quite rapidly. I think major advancements in technology are usually Eureka!! moments.

Comment

Originally posted by Peterking72 View Post
                              They're a possibility too, but they talking about it since the 90's.

(..)catastrophes like the one in Fukusima.
                              1: that's because it's a statistic. It could also take another 1000 years before it even happens. it could also happen tomorrow.

2: fukushima is a pretty rare event. more people die every year mining coal (and the resulting envirmonmental damage is a lot bigger) than with nuclear reactors. Also, so far, pretty much every nuclear accident has been with an old reactor.

I don't think we'll cease to be. It would be weird that after going through the kind of hells we've been through, as a species and as life on a planet, that we'll die now that we have the tech to defend ourselves.

We didn't have the ability to kill ourselves 80 years ago.
                              ever heard of mustard gas?

we didn't need nukes to eradicate ourselves. but since we have access to nukes, it's just simply become a lot easier since.

imo, the next revolution in space travel will happen quite rapidly. I think major advancements in technology are usually Eureka!! moments.
                              science, yes. Technology, no. technology has a lot more to do with the right person in the right time (with the right budget). Larry page and co (google) were lucky to not just have a golden algorithm, but also being able to use it and use it on the scale they do now. Steve jobs presented the iphone using 5 different phones (since it could barely do 1 function without crashing). They also were smart enough to make their own market. We don't use smartphones because we need them (we don't) but because we want to need them.

SpaceX happened because someone had the right stash of money at the right time. With Nasa's shuttle in retirement, it opened up a huge gap and being reliant on the russians is bad for pricing, safety and stability (since a near-monopoly is never great unless you're the one having it).

Pretty much every major technology and the tech company behind it had a mix of having the right thing, at the right time, with a bag of money and a market.

Comment

Well there was that one episode where the Goa'uld assassin used a hand held held laser instead of the typical "coloured blob of doom". That would be possible. The limiting factors on making a hand held laser like that are powering and cooling it, but it's not straight out physically impossible the way "somehow contained blobs of something/plasma that travel slower than bullets" is.

That's pretty much all I got though.

I was going to say 302s were kind of possible to, since I didn't remember anything other than rocket engines and normal fighter stuff, but then I remembered how they turn like airplanes in space, so nope on those to.

Comment

Working...
                                X