Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can never come up with a good reason why I preferred one season over another. At the end of the day, I think it just comes down to how often during that year I finished watching an episode and either said, "wow" or "eh".

First to last
    Season 3
    Season 4/1 (can't decide between these two)
    Season 2
    Season 5
    Season 6/7 (Season 7 pulled out some good eps in the last half to move up from being last by a long shot)

Comment

Originally posted by GateGipsy
      Hope you don't mind me asking, but I adore season 3, so I have to know what you find cringeworthy and boring in that season? It's OK - not going to argue with you. Just interested in hearing another point of view.
      Let me put it this way: Not a whole episode is cringeworthy but parts of it, that's why I tend to not watch the episode at all.

Firstly, there were an awful lot of hugs (with underlying sexual tension forced by the producers IMO) and long kisses in S3. I hate that in films, I hate that in TV shows, and I hate that in Stargate.
      • Into the fire: The hug between O'Neill/Carter.
      • Point of view: The kiss between O'Neill/Alternate Carter. I think I have never really watched that part because I had to cover my eyes. Also I always saw the hug between them as out of character (until watching Heroes P2. Now I think it's okay)
      • Past and Present: The stuff between Daniel/Kera.
      • A Hundred Days: O'Neill/Laira.

I got used to the idea of O'Neill/Carter around "Maternal Instinct", so I don't mind J&S ship after that episode (I in fact like that). And I think that when I get the DVDs for the latter seasons, I always think of the funny audio commentaries in shippy moments so I don't have to endure them. But the commentaries only came in S4.

Secondly, I really prefer the funny episodes. But there were too many serious episodes in S3 where I would feel ashamed if I tried to project fun in it:
      • Daniel going mad in "Legacy"
      • the mean thing they did to the kids in "Learning Curve"
      • the poor guys willing to die for Apophis in "Rules of Engagement"
      • Sha're dying
      • the torturing on Sokar's moon

Of course, there is also the usual amount of episodes I just find boring, but there are also episodes I really like. I prefer the second half of S3 with Foothold, Urgo and everything after (including) Maternal Instinct.

Like anything that has got to do with Stargate, I would never sell my DVDs of any season. I just ranked the seasons by counting how many episodes of a season I actually watch on DVD. And season 3 is just not getting enough of my attention
      No, 'Eureka' is Greek for 'This bath is too hot.'

"Because only an extremely deranged individual would think of doing what we're doing."
      (LOST producer Damon Lindelof, May 2007)

Comment

With no reasons. Best to worst. Some of them I think are equal so I just chose.

S4
        S3
        S5
        S2
        S6
        S1
        S7

I dont see why most people dont like season 5. Its one of my favorites!
        "...smart, funny, exciting, touching..." - Newsday

Comment

Best was Season One because they did such a great job of setting the show's mythology. Second place goes to Season 4 because I think it became really interesting at that point. 3,5,7,2 are the middle ones, with Season 6 going in last place. Although it was a close tie with Season 2. I almost gave up on the show that year.

Comment

3 - My two favourite episodes - Jolinar's Memories and The Devil You Know - i love the Carter/Jolinar situation, Fair Game, Dead Man Switch, POV, Foothold, and theres more. 2 not so good - Past and Present and a hundred days.

7 - many standout episodes - The Lost City, Heroes, Death Knell, Grace, fallen, homecoming, Orpheus. And none that i didn't enjoy.

4 - so many standout episodes this season (Exodus, Small victories, Window of opportunity, The Serpent's Venom to name a few. This season had more of the best episodes than other seasons but also more of the downers - beneath the surface, Point of no Return, Prodigy, watergate.

2 - Many Standout episodes in season 2. The Serpent's Lair, Serpent's Song, In the Line of Duty, The Tok'ra, The Fifth race (Theres more) Didn't like bane, the Gamekeeper and out of mind. I Liked Season 2 Cause of The Carter/Jolinar Stuff (I Think i'm obsessed with it...no definitely am)

5 - except for Wormhole Extreme and to a lesser extent the sentinel i really enjoyed all these episodes with a couple being standout episodes. Revelations, Meridian, Between two Fires, Threshold, Summit and Last Stand

1 - for a first season this was excellent, it setup everything nicely, probably the best first season for a show ive seen. Standouts - Within the Serpent’s Grasp, Children of the Gods, There But For the Grace of God, Solitudes, Hathor, Fire and Water

6 - not as many standout episodes as the other seasons - But Abyss and Full Circle, Allegiance, Descent and Redemption (Love the Carter/McKay Stuff) i loved. I didn't like shadowplay, frozen and Forsaken. It was different from the other seasons but i still enjoyed it.

i Love all the Seasons of Stargate and have thoroughly enjoyed them.

Comment

I basically agree with the original poster.

I have difficultly ranking the first three seasons. They are far and above the best the show has ever had, and, sadly, ever will have. I give a slight edge to Season 2, followed by 1 and then 3 although I'm hyped on Season 1 right now, having just finished rewatching it.

Season 6 comes in next. Damage had already been done at this point, but everything was quite watchable. Jonas was a welcome replacement for the misused Daniel Jackson.

Now that Season 8 is half over, I feel comfortable tentatively assigning it the next slot, assuming that the quality holds up (which it did NOT during the course of Season 7). It's been a bit too Earth-centric recently, but everything's been sort of watchable, and they've given up making excuses for O'Neill's absense. Comical Anubis is mercifully dead and the Jaffa rebellion is proceeding apace. I'm optimistic.

Season 5 is a contender for 5th place. It continued the mediocrity established by Season 4 without being overtly offensive.

Season 4 was not good. In the first 7 or so episodes, I had a rash of WTF?! moments while watching the show:
              • Boring "Alien" ripoff. WTF?!
              • Space Nazis. WTF?!
              • Superpowers. WTF?!
              • Seven of Tokra. WTF?!
              • Jack suddenly in love with Carter. Please God, this can't be happening... Can it? WTF?!

Then "The First Ones" came along and I was happy again, but the shock of bad episode after bad episode had already done its damage and the rest of the season was just mediocre.

Finally, Season 7. After a shaky first half, I couldn't even watch most of the second half of the season. I kept wishing that someone would just put a bullet in the thing.
              END OF LINE

Comment

let see.....

#1 season 4
                #2 season 5
                #3 season 6
                #4 season 7
                #5 season 8
                #6 season 1
                #7 season 2
                #8 season 3

there you go........

"To the world you may be one person,
                but to one person you may be the world"

- Bill Wilson –

Comment

Season 7 (The season i started with)
                  Season 5
                  Season 3
                  Season 6
                  Season 2
                  Season 4
                  Season 1
                  (Im not placing season 8 cause it hasn't finished yet)
                  ROFLMAO Check This Out!!!

Comment

#1. Season 5
                    #2. Season 4
                    #3. Season 3
                    #4. Season 6
                    #5. Season 7
                    #6. Season 2
                    #7. Season 1

I'm not counting Season 8 on the list because it's only half way through, and season 1 is bottom because I think it's the worst and because I've seen it so many times. I know the first season really isn't ever the greatest season, but I've just seen it too many times.

Note: User's posts are rarely serious.
                    Member of the F.O.R.D. || Martouf Marty's Webpage || (LJ)

Comment

oh goodie here we go again ranking the seasons.
                      gotta be
                      season 3 first, as it was well set up by season two and it was just awesome.
                      season 2 quite a lot of developments were put into season two and really really
                      have a lot to take in, but it was great.
                      season 4 had a bit of everything, this was supposed to be the original last season but it got renewed so it was a little screwed up, but I still like it.
                      plus anise was a bonus for the male fan.
                      season 1 by this time of all the other seasons you could finally put it altogether where it make sense.
                      season five once again this was a season that wasn't supposed to have happened but I am glad it did.We finaly get to see more system lords, and the overall season has lots of hints about further things that could happen.
                      Oh and they finally killed Apohis Dead gone, not gonna come back.
                      Season six was great, loved the Jonas Character, really enjoyed Anubis (even though he doesn't permiate the same evil as Sokar)
                      Season seven any season where Janet dies is just poor
                      won't rate 8 as it still going.
                      overall I enjoy all the seasons for different reason's, the only things that bug me are, Sokar was killed off to qucikly imo, and sadly they did it they killed off
                      Janet. very sad.

Comment

I rate the seasons as

and, from what I have seen of it so far, 8
                        sigpic

Comment

Okay lemme see.....

1st: Season 4 - This is where I actually started watching and became a fan
                          2nd: Season 2
                          3rd: Season 3
                          4th: Season 1
                          5th: Season 5
                          6th: Season 7
                          7th: Season 6

Comment

season 3
                            season 4
                            season 5
                            season 2
                            season 6
                            season 1

Didnt saw 7th season...
                            Dogs are my favorite people.
                            If they don't have chocolate in heaven, I ain't going.

Comment

My list:

#1. Season 2: My alltime favourite season. It had anything I like about Stargate:
                              mythology, complex stories, action, the team as four friends who care
                              four each other and the friendship between Jack and Daniel.
                              And there were not one episode that I absolutly dislike, even the
                              ones I consider as the weakest of this season are IMO still watchable. And this season had many of the IMO best Stargate episodes ever.

#2. Season 1. A very good start for a new show.Good introduction of the characters.
                              Some episodes from the begin were not so good but that was balanced
                              by the great second half of this season.

#3. Season 3. Almost as good as the first two seasons. Some weaker episodes but
                              some very interesting storylines, too. Good character episodes
                              ("Jolinar´s Memories"/"The Devil you know" is IMO still the best Sam
                              story ever!), much mythology and the team-spirit was still exisiting.

#4. Season 6: That I rate this season so high comes as a surprise for me. I missed
                              Daniel very much, there was almost no mythology and Jack´s role was
                              IMO smaller than in the seasons before - but how can I not like a Season
                              which had so great episodes as "Abyss", "Full Circle",
                              "Changeling", "Allegiance" and "Redemption"?

#5. Season 5: IMO not exactly Stargates finest hour but still entertaining.

#6. Season 4: How can I like a season which showed the destruction of the team and
                              the end of the friendship between Jack and Daniel? Sorry, but I can´t.
                              This season proofed IMO that TPTB believe that the Sam/Jack ship and
                              concepts as team or friendship can not co-exist with each other .
                              I don´t beliefe that if someone falls in love he has no longer any need
                              for friends or family - for some people may that sound extremly romantic
                              but for me is it only childish. And in other shows romance and friendship
                              CAN co-exist -why not in Stargate?
                              The stories were so far okay (IMO not better or worser than in season
                              5) but for me is the idea that Jack O´Neill would fall into the trap of a bunch
                              of space-nazis ("The other side") is annoying. The Jack from the first 3
                              seasons was much too clever for that!

#7. Season 7: IMO the worsest season ever. Even more ship as in season 4 (but lesser
                              science fiction), a Jack O´Neill who was often behaving as if he were under
                              hypnosis. And the "team as family concept" was dead.
                              Season 4 had at least some good stories but even here failed season 7.
                              Even the best episodes were IMO compared with the other six seasons only medicore. And the bad ones were REALLY BAD.

I can not rate season 8 before I have seen it completly.
                              Last edited by Hathor999; 11 December 2004, 04:14 PM.

Comment

My order, and like Technoboy said, I dunno why so many people hate Season 5, it was great!

1st Season 4 - The show evolved
                                2nd Season 5 - It was gutsy (something not seen in SciFi since then) seeing all your friends and allies take a beating and the introduction of a really big and bad enemy was impressive, the end was almost tearful as well.
                                3rd Season 6 - very refreshing, Jonas was cool and badly gotten rid of in S7. Lack of RDA covered very well in the Ancient virus story arc + exceptional episodes e.g. Abyss.
                                4th Season 3 - Added to already established stuff, yet added stuff for the future
                                5th Season 2 - Added to already established stuff, yet added stuff for the future and nice hints
                                6th Season 1 - S1, S2 and S3 were all really close but this one just had the problem of having to set everything up.
                                7th Season 7 - A blowout from the great Season 5 and 6, not much new and Tealc seemed a little out of place (trying to fill a gap). Lack of RDA heavily noticeable, although great eps like Evolution and Heroes compensated in the second half

One thing I will say I've noticed with Season 7 and 8 and somewhat with 6 was that they started off a little slow and then got good towards the end. Season 8 suffered badly at the start and was really a load of standalone eps trying to tie in to continuity and failing. The second half sounds really good and got off to a good start with Gemini but if it doesn't improve it'll be Season 8 at the bottom probably followed by season 9 because frankly, I don't want to see the cast of Farscape on SG-1 thank you!
                                Last edited by Markey2; 18 December 2004, 05:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X