This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Xaeden View Post
    So presumably, if China now has a 304 now.
    When did they have one>> I know a while back we were talking about it, but i cannot remember them getting one.

Comment

I heard the Irish 304 comes equipped with fly screen doors on the air locks.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by berlin88 View Post
        Technically, the French were allies before the Brits. We waged war against Briton
        Its spelt Britain just kidding

HMS Intrepid
        HMS Hood
        HMS Victorious
        HMS Sovereign
        HMS Illustrius
        I quite like HMS Illustrious, not really a possibility though seeming one of our Invincible class aircraft carriers has that name.

If I were to name a British ship for the Stargate Universe I would call it either Endeavour and Discovery after the British ships of exploration which the two space shuttles were named after, otherwise HMS Enterprize anyone? lol
        Originally posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post
        I generally got the impression that no-one else of the other nations is as prominent or powerful a member of the gate treaty as either the Russians or Chinese. As such none other than those two countries would have the political leverage to requisition a 304 battlecruiser.
        This is the real reason, besides if say Britain, France or who ever gets ships I think it should be in a smaller platform as a Frigate or Destroyer, loose the large 302 bays and build one into the ship for a couple of 302's or a Puddle Jumper. Armed with Asgard shields and Weapons as well as conventional human weapons it could make for a smaller more nimble package with a similar punch. I quite like the idea of the International element, have the Americans keeping the heavy hitting 304 and have the rest of the world in the lighter '305' or whatever supporting.

Comment

Originally posted by haloplayer View Post
          Why haven't the French got there own 304? If the Chinese got there own (speculation) shouldn't the French get one as well? China isn't even an ally of the USA.
          Why haven't the Zimbabwians got their own 304? If the Chinese got their own (speculation) shouldn't the Zimbabwians get one as well? China isn't even an ally of the USA.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by P3X-666 View Post
            Dude, in the last 3 months France has lost 25 soldiers in Afghanistan, maybe it's all a joke to you but nobody is laughing here.
            Nobody laughing here. But it also partially their own fault, why the British went out their with the line, we do not want to fire a single bullet, we also sent our troop out their with orders to engage and destroy anyone that threaten our troops and to secure the terrictory against threats and to hunt down those threats pro actively.

The French on the other hand pretty much sent there troops out their to avoid combat at all cost, and to make sure they are back in their bunk beds before its gets dark, may be they are frighten of the dark. Why do you think they were deployed outside of the main combat areas of the south, where especially in the early days of the operations most of the taleban were hiding, if we had enough troops that was our chance the crush the Taleban and to stop them from gaining control of the poppy fields and farmers, which is what funding the war and where they now get their solders from.

Now the Taleban knows the countries like France are far more likely to redraw from the country than the British are, we are stubborn and been focusing on attack those troops from less committed countries.

Also they know that British troops from all the wars over past ten years are now not just the best trained in the world but are some of the most experience combat troops on the planet, with many now on their second and third tours. Plus our snipers might have something to do with it.

As to the French getting a 304 not before us Brits.
            Last edited by knowles2; 12 March 2009, 02:41 AM.

Comment

France left NATO in the 1960's because we tried to prevent them from becoming a major player in the alliance. We treated De Gaulle like a 2nd rate power, but England like an equal. France got pissed and left NATO, only rejoining near the end of the Cold War.
              Actually they never fully left, but they did back out of the military alliance and never rejoined, they're thinking about it now.

Also in 1950s France approached Britain with the proposition of forming a unified country. Britain said no, so they asked to join the commonwealth and were willing to take the queen as head, but we said no again. After that they went to Germany and asked if they wanted to form an EEC (EU).

Comment

the French already have 2 304s - 'The Retreat' and 'The Surrender'

; )

Pi to 16 decimal places: 3.1415926535897932

Comment

Originally posted by Duneknight View Post
                  ...shouldn't the Zimbabwians get one as well? China isn't even an ally of the USA.
                  Neither is Zimbabwe.
                  Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Tyler View Post
                    Neither is Zimbabwe.
                    that joke was lost on you. and im not Zimbabwean if thats what you were getting at.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Major Tyler View Post
                      Honestly, the French are the worst NATO ally. The Brits, Dutch, and Canadians pull their own weight in the Alliance, but the French are at the bottom of the list.

The Chinese probably just offered to forgive all U.S. debt in exchange for a 304.
                      Originally posted by P3X-666 View Post
                      Dude, in the last 3 months France has lost 25 soldiers in Afghanistan, maybe it's all a joke to you but nobody is laughing here.
                      I don't recall saying anything about a joke, or "laughing" at anyone. Even bad allies can have brave soldiers who are willing to do the hard work even through their government lacks the political will.

I praise and mourn those dead soldiers, but the credit goes to those individual soldiers, not to France.
                      Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

This isn't really about real world politics. This is about Stargate universe international politics. And for reasons explained before, I can't see them (or Britain or anyone else) getting a 304.

And for the record, I frankly find the jokes about the French being "cowardly" and "always surrendering" utterly idiotic.
                        "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

seriously stargate cant get anymore international than it already is. if anything it should squeeze itself back to USA being the only player in the stargate universe---because that would be accurate. Britain barely knows how to go to space, and im not sure if they ever want to got to space, they are still crying about their lost empire. sweden is a country that just stays out of things, has a small population and is satisfied with the amount of wealth it has. France is too naive. we are talking about something on a galactic scale where each planet is ruled by one nation or people, so earth should be ruled by very few superpowers that determine its fate.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Duneknight View Post
                            seriously stargate cant get anymore international than it already is. if anything it should squeeze itself back to USA being the only player in the stargate universe---because that would be accurate. Britain barely knows how to go to space, and im not sure if they ever want to got to space, they are still crying about their lost empire. sweden is a country that just stays out of things, has a small population and is satisfied with the amount of wealth it has. France is too naive. we are talking about something on a galactic scale where each planet is ruled by one nation or people, so earth should be ruled by very few superpowers that determine its fate.
                            Utter drivel. Britain gave its empire independence because we're one of the most progressive societies in the world (not saying much though). Britain can go to space, they just don't see the point in killing loads of intelligent athletic scientists/fighter pilots, wasting trillions of pounds and stupid amounts of manpower & resources just to get a photo op when you can send robots instead. They're really cheap and easy and expendable and versatile and reproducible and transportable compared to people. Also NASA can't get to the moon any more, they lost the blueprints to Apollo. And did you know that NASA scientists once crashed a probe into Mars because they couldn't convert from feet to meters? Britain's first solo probe to Mars was cheaper, better and more successful than all of Nasa's early tests (it crashed into Mars, but at least it got there). Sweden built up a military during the cold war that was proportionally massive compared to the USA just to stop the USSR invading (they now have more generals and admirals than units for them to command). France and Britain have been at the forefront of almost every single new technology since the 14th century. They conquered the world and maintained relative peace for centuries until USA and USSR started showing off to each other. If it wasn't for those two countries USA would have been nothing more than a backwater. USA is relatively useless at almost everything and it's too poor to be a superpower any more. Stupid gun-happy Americans getting people killed because they think they know better than everyone else. If there is a nuclear war it'll probably be the USA's stupidity that causes it.
                            Last edited by Splitsecond; 12 March 2009, 05:52 AM.

Comment

Oh get over your self, had the US been a back water nation you'd be speaking German or not at all. America's fate became different the moment your troops surrendered at Yorktown.

While I disagree with Duneknight I also disagree with you.
                              By Nolamom
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rasunda View Post
                                Well why don't we crew them whit international crews?
                                It would be much much better, like EU 4 304s 8 303s sharing them all together.
                                I think that it would be a much better caus then it wouldn't come up argues.
                                Mostly because real world experience (World Wars, Korea, and various UN/NATO actions) is that mixing national chains of command is a *bad idea*. Training isn't equivalent, national rivalries get in the way, and no one really trusts each other (even relatively close allies like Canada, the United States, and Britain have problems when they do joint operations). In a situation where you're depending on the other guy holding up his end to keep you alive, this does not make for a great situation.

Comment

Working...
                                X