This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Daniel's_twin
    My brain hurts. I can't keep up anymore!
    Keep going! Keep going!
    Get yourself an Asgard clone body specially to keep up here

Comment

I'll be sure to order the model with super big eyes.
      Yes, I really do look like (a younger) Daniel. Don't believe me? Look for yourself.

Hey, Mitchell! You want a turn?

Comment

Originally posted by XToDaZ
        Russia is, but to small extent. They have too much oil reserves left in Baku 2 and 3, the Kazan and Yakutsk/Irkutsk area to risk all free money go to smithereens
        I doubt it's just being afraid that fusion would make the oil less valuable; after all, even if they poured huge amounts into the research, it'd almost certainly take a _long_ time to actually figure out a practical way to achieve fusion power. And work the bugs out so that it is safe and efficient enough for civillian use. And then you have to actually deal with the process of building the fusion plants, and there's still the oil needed for cars/tractors/chain saws/etc, because I _really_ doubt you're going to be building fusion-plant powered cars and small yard tools, etc., etc.

Remember, this is Russia we're talking about here. _Severe_ economic problems. As in, their economy is worse than the US's was in the Great Depression. They simply don't have the _money_ to spend on research for something they don't immediately need and and which won't immediately become valuable.

In the case of America, I'd say it's probably laziness. We've got the oil, we've got dams and nuclear power plants and windmill farms and we're developing hybrid cars and such. Why bother to spend the money on something that won't pay out for a while, when we've got all we need in other forms already?
        My LiveJournal.

If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere.
        -Frank A. Clark

An optimist may see a light where there is none, but why must the pessimist always run to blow it out?
        -Michel de Saint-Pierre

Now, there's this about cynicism. It's the universe's most supine moral position. Real comfortable. If nothing can be done, then you're not some kind of **** for not doing it, and you can lie there and stink to yourself in perfect peace.
        -Lois McMaster Bujold, "The Borders of Infinity"

Comment

Originally posted by Darren View Post
          The spelling has actually been established on-screen, on a computer terminal (IIRC) when Lt. Col. Samuels is describing the naquadah-enhanced missiles ("Goa'uld busters") in Season Two's "The Serpent's Lair."

NAQUADAH
          Try again.

The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Working...
          X