This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can say that 1 Megaton is a 4.5 x 10^15 joule
    The total nuclear arsenal of the entire world equals about 10 000 Megaton or 4.5 x 10^19 Joule and that equals 0.5kg obliterated material, or 250g AM and 250g normal matter.

Comment

Little? Would take quite alot of Anti-Matter to do that. It isn't easy to "blow Earth to pieces" unless you place the bomb in the core. Even then it would require alot of it.

Try blowing a stone to pieces from the edge, then try again from the center.

Comment

Originally posted by aAnubiSs
        Little? Would take quite alot of Anti-Matter to do that. It isn't easy to "blow Earth to pieces" unless you place the bomb in the core. Even then it would require alot of it.

Try blowing a stone to pieces from the edge, then try again from the center.
        It's impossible from the outside I think. If you think of the energy released at the impact of the asteroid in the Yutacan area 65 million years ... it millions of Megaton, and 1 Teraton equals 50 kg of matter. And what did it do ? One puny crater and the eradication of 35 % of all life.
        So my best guess ? It would take about 200 ton of AM thrusted towards earth at at least 40.000km/u to have the optimal effect (reaction plus impact)

Comment

I thought we agreed that Matter/Anti-Matter was 9*10^16 Joule/kg (500g matter, 500g anti-matter).

so 250g M, 250g AM = 4.5*10^16. and to make 4.5*10^16 4.5*10^19 we'd need another 10^3. So 250,000g Matter and 250,000g Anti-Matter.

250kg Anti-Matter. Does that count as a little? Would take us a few million years to create if we'd keep the same speed as we have now

Comment

I thought we agreed that Matter/Anti-Matter was 9*10^16 Joule/kg (500g matter, 500g anti-matter).

so 250g M, 250g AM = 4.5*10^16. and to make 4.5*10^16 4.5*10^19 we'd need another 10^3. So 250,000g Matter and 250,000g Anti-Matter.

250kg Anti-Matter. Does that count as a little? Would take us a few million years to create if we'd keep the same speed as we have now
            Right now it's impossible. We put 10 billion times more energy in the conversion process than we can get out of it (of 5 billion considering we have half of the process, normal H, already at our disposal)
            Research is slow, but remember that the speed of theoritical advancement is accelerating very fast (string, unification and sparticle theory). Also, we can get rid of the huge particle accelerators as a new small-scale laser technology has been developed.
            But right now, only 2,5 million € a year is spended at AM research, and 1.5 million of that are wages. No wonder it's slow. I really believe that these are the kind of things the governement needs to spend a whole more on. This is way more important than a new lamppost at the corner of my street or a new windturbine in the ocean...

Comment

Hey calm down guy’s your making everyone feel dumb on the forum.
              "Love is not for life, it's for one week only" Wass

“You have to stay in shape. My grandmother, she started walking five miles a day when she was 60. She's 97 today and we don't know where the hell she is.” Ellen DeGeners

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'.” Homer Simpson

“It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up, because by that time I was too famous.” Robert Benchley

“What is it with McDonald's staff who pretend they don't understand you unless you insert the 'Mc' before the item you're ordering? It has to be a McChicken burger...a chicken burger gets blank looks. Well, I'll have a McStraw and jam it into your McEyes, you f**cking Mc******!” Billy Connolly

“Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? ...He's a mile away and you've got his shoes.” Billy Connolly

Comment

Originally posted by Wass
                Hey calm down guy’s your making everyone feel dumb on the forum.
                I don't want to be a smartass, but I just think these scientifical and physical aspect is the greatest part of science fiction (or if we're lucky, the science future). I'm glad we could talk about it somewhere, because I hate talking about shipping, actors and some one time characters

Comment

One thing that bugs me to death is the pathetic amount of money invested in fusion research. Then again, who'd want all the oil to be useless... Every company building cars, oil refineries and another billion companies.

In Sweden it's illegal to research any nuclear stuff. And our fission reactors are being closed because of some frelled up vote 20 or 30 years ago. But 20-30 years ago they thought we'd have fusion in 2030-ish and solar and wind power would be much more efficient then they are. So instead we close our own fission reactors, then buy our power from Finlands newest fission reactor and Denmarks coal burning powerplants... That's a really good way of doing things... or not.

They( http://www.efda.org ) estimate that in 30 or 40 years we'll have a commercial fusion reactor. That time could be cut in half if someone would put some damn money into the project.

Comment

Oh, 16 instead of 19, you're right. I was a bit too fast there
                    So all my numbers can be multiplied by one thousand to make sense, sorry

Comment

Originally posted by XToDaZ
                      I don't want to be a smartass, but I just think these scientifical and physical aspect is the greatest part of science fiction (or if we're lucky, the science future). I'm glad we could talk about it somewhere, because I hate talking about shipping, actors and some one time characters
                      Well it's a free forum you can talk about anything you want, me personally can't get my head around so I'll leave it you smart asses lol.
                      "Love is not for life, it's for one week only" Wass

“You have to stay in shape. My grandmother, she started walking five miles a day when she was 60. She's 97 today and we don't know where the hell she is.” Ellen DeGeners

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'.” Homer Simpson

“It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up, because by that time I was too famous.” Robert Benchley

“What is it with McDonald's staff who pretend they don't understand you unless you insert the 'Mc' before the item you're ordering? It has to be a McChicken burger...a chicken burger gets blank looks. Well, I'll have a McStraw and jam it into your McEyes, you f**cking Mc******!” Billy Connolly

“Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? ...He's a mile away and you've got his shoes.” Billy Connolly

Comment

from efda.org :

"10 grams of Deuterium which can be extracted from 500 litres of water and 15g of Tritium produced from 30g of Lithium would produce enough fuel for the lifetime electricity needs of an average person in an industrialised country."

Wonder why the oil companies don't want Fusion

Comment

One thing that bugs me to death is the pathetic amount of money invested in fusion research. Then again, who'd want all the oil to be useless... Every company building cars, oil refineries and another billion companies.

In Sweden it's illegal to research any nuclear stuff. And our fission reactors are being closed because of some frelled up vote 20 or 30 years ago. But 20-30 years ago they thought we'd have fusion in 2030-ish and solar and wind power would be much more efficient then they are. So instead we close our own fission reactors, then buy our power from Finlands newest fission reactor and Denmarks coal burning powerplants... That's a really good way of doing things... or not.
                          Same **** here buddy
                          Thanks to the lovely green party, our nuclear reactors are going to be shut down by 2015 and replaced by wind mills ... what a terrible waste of time and money. The decision was made a few years ago, but they've lost all but 5 % of the vote for some reason...

The biggest problem for major investments is the oil reserves held by the US, the UK and Russia, the three countries that usually spend a lot to research. Another problem is the fact that they're all nuclear powers and they don't really need to have more powerful weapons to protect them, but require shield (US Missile Defense programm) and improved ballistics (Putin's latest remark on Russian nuclear programms) to have an increased power in the world. If the military is not served with an invention, the invention is not made, it's as simple as that.
                          Only France does not have oil and researches fusion and other means of generating power to a larger extent, so they're willing to have some fusion research expenditures at the CERN facility and others.
                          But in my opinion, when oil reserves hit a critical point and the price goes up too much, fusion research will boom and be ready for use in no time ... if you look into the bigger scheme of things, you might notice that GW Bush is trying to drill Alaskan oil and deplete US oil reserves faster for a higher US income and a power drainage in the Arab world and Russia. They could easily run the US dry quickly and then come up with fusion, to strike the Arab economy and terrorism fundings.
                          Maybe the US already has developed fusion, but are just keeping it away from the public, because there are too many dollars left in their soil and that needs to be profited from first

Comment

Russia is funding Fusion research Europe+Canada+Japan are in efda, among others. The US aren't

Comment

Russia is, but to small extent. They have too much oil reserves left in Baku 2 and 3, the Kazan and Yakutsk/Irkutsk area to risk all free money go to smithereens

Comment

My brain hurts. I can't keep up anymore!

Keep going! Keep going!
                                Yes, I really do look like (a younger) Daniel. Don't believe me? Look for yourself.

Hey, Mitchell! You want a turn?

Comment

Working...
                                X