X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Naquadah is a mineral, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel's_twin
      Does anyone else think the rest of the world would also have a problem with us having the only supply of Naquadah?
      Personally I wouldn't give a damn
      Even if you had a Naquadria bomb arsenal, the European nukes could still blow your country up twice over. The nuclear weapons already seem to be a non-agression pact as countries could easily destroy the other ones, so conventional wars aren't a risk between those countries. Now if the US or Canada had an even more powerful weapon, it doesn't matter, because we can still destroy you.

Worse than the weapons are the shields. If we could no longer bomb you, but you could bomb us, yes, than we had a problem, but there'd be nothing we could do about it, so you'd be safe anyhow

Too bad the naquadah, naquadria and ZPM are all fictional and impossible physically. The only thing on earth that could be evenly powerful in the future would be a controlled conversion from atoms to antiatoms in a stable EM field. 1kg of hydrogen, convert half of that and re-unite it slowly in a controlled environment and you've got yourself a perfectly clean power source at maximum efficiency (full conversion)
      Just my vision of the future

Comment

A ZPM is theoretically possible, depending on which version of the string theories you like It's impossible in the M-theory, but possible in the Super String Theory.

Fission: 8.9*10^13 Joule/kg

Fusion: 1*10^15 Joule/kg

M/AM: 9*10^16 Joule/kg (500g matter, 500g anti-matter)

All at 100% efficiency.
        Last edited by aAnubiSs; 19 November 2004, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by aAnubiSs
          A ZPM is theoretically possible, depending on which version of the string theories you like It's impossible in the M-theory, but possible in the Super String Theory.

Fission: 8.9*10^13 Joule/kg
          Fusion: 1*10^15 Joule/kg
          M/AM: 9*10^16 Joule/kg (500g matter, 500g anti-matter)

All at 100% efficiency.
          I thought M/AM would a whole lot more than simple fusion ? But I really that will be possible in the next hundred years ... maybe I'm hoping too much, but seeing the progress and knowing they've already made some AM atoms contained and stable in EM fields, so you never know.

Anyhow, we have the unified theory now, so the 5 string theories is already something of the past. Some guy, forgot his name, made a full mathematical simplication making a new unified theory to replace Einstein's theory.

Do you know a bit more about the "sparticles" btw ? It was also part of those theories involving superheavy particle like elements.

Comment

I'd like to change the numbers I posted...

Fission: 2.1 x 10^12 Joule/kg
            Fusion: 3.4 x 10^14 Joule/kg

Now I just have to figure out which ones are correct, too lazy to do the math myself

It's annoying that people post their information then when you visit another 2 sites you get another two answers. So far I've seen that Fusion is 1000, 100, 5 times more powerful then Fission.

Most agree that Matter/Anti-Matter is 200 times more powerful then Fusion though
            Last edited by aAnubiSs; 19 November 2004, 03:53 PM.

Comment

One big advantage of Fusion over Fission and Matter/Anti-Matter is that IF something goes wrong the fusion reactor just stops by itself while the Fisson and Matter/Anti-Matter ones would explode. The latter one would destroy quite a bit of the country.

Comment

I'm just to stupid to the math myself, hehe. I'm studying politics now, but I also like quantum physics, but you can't combine both in college unfortenately
                It's no more than the amount of energy won by loss of mass, and then it's relative to what your are fusioning or splitting up. And ofcourse, there is a loss of energy in fission and fusion due to energetic input, lost radiation and so forth.
                But the AM/M number is correct, if Einstein's theory still is correct in the 11 dimensional system of the unified theory ofcourse.

Comment

One big advantage of Fusion over Fission and Matter/Anti-Matter is that IF something goes wrong the fusion reactor just stops by itself while the Fisson and Matter/Anti-Matter ones would explode. The latter one would destroy quite a bit of the country.
                  Fission can also go wrong, but has it ever in the western world ? Our safety meassures are so immense dealing with those technologies hardly anything can go wrong anymore.
                  And M/AM is easier to control in my opinion. You just drop gram by gram, using tube-simulating EM fields ... doesn't look like a problem as EM fields are already understood competely
                  In fusion and fission you can't resupply, you have to have that dangerous all-in-one core, while a Antihydrogen-EM container can easily be split up with the fuel (normal hydrogen) and slowly added. It's way easier to understand and oversee what is happening in the core that way.

Comment

Yes but the Anti-Matter would always have to be in magnetic fields since the second it would get contact with ANYTHING it would explode, and no matter how many back-up systems you have something can always go wrong, and IF that would happen... goodbye my someone...

Fusion can be resupplied. You pump in more deuterium and tritium is always in there(lasts 10 years before the neutron bombardment damages it too much). So every 10 years or so you'd have to change the outer walls, then it's just a matter of restarting the process.

a fusion reactor can never get a meltdown. If anything goes wrong the fusion process just stops.

Comment

Yes but the Anti-Matter would always have to be in magnetic fields since the second it would get contact with ANYTHING it would explode, and no matter how many back-up systems you have something can always go wrong, and IF that would happen... goodbye my someone...

Fusion can be resupplied. You pump in more deuterium and tritium is always in there(lasts 10 years before the neutron bombardment damages it too much). So every 10 years or so you'd have to change the outer walls, then it's just a matter of restarting the process.

a fusion reactor can never get a meltdown. If anything goes wrong the fusion process just stops.
                      True, but remember that AM does not need a core or anything. There are failsafes, but it would be vulnerable to a EMP-bomb. I'm not sure how, I'm no quantumscientist, but I do see future in this. One large EM plant could power the world and beyond, so even if it has to miles wide to have enough containers all holding only 1g AM at a time, protected from eachother by heavy-metal walls that withstand the damage of 1g or even smaller, it's worth the investment and it looks safe. Because conversion isn't as hard as it sounds and it can be done quickly if controlled, and therefore you'd never need large quantities of AM at a time, but you just convert-combine-convert-... at a steady pace.
                      Sure looks safe to me

Comment

Ah yes, but metal is matter, not anti-matter. And you'd have to refuel the containers non-stop. So if anything would happen anti-matter would be pumped into the walls causing an ongoing explosion.

Everything is safe when you do it in small numbers, but for anything to be usefull you need big numbers, or small number many times. And the end result is the same. Either one very big explosion, or millions of small ones. Then, if unlucky, the anti-matter would start to react with the oxygen, and if the machines creating anti-matter would still be running you'd have "unlimited" matter to react with.

I'd hold off the Matter/Anti-Matter reactors until we've figured out how (and whatit is) to control gravity. If we could figure that out we could have the anti-matter AND a fusion reactor powering the gravity generator and the magnetic fields, so if anything would happen the gravity fields would force the explosion to a small area.

One would need Fusion to start a Matter/Anti-Matter reactor anyway.

In spaceships Matter/Anti-Matter is an excellent engine, since you can get p+, e- from any element, and creating anti-protons and positrons would be easy when we have this technology.

But I'd keep the M/AM-reactors off the planet.

Comment

Who says the tube has to be metal ? It can be held in place and moved by changing the EM fields. Our current knowledge of EM is good enough to do that, albeit that I understand your concern.
                          At the moment, it's still far from achievable anyway, as producing 1g of AM costs up to 10 billion times as much energy than it actually stores. But it might be a good deal in the future, but fusion is good enough for this planet indeed ...

But controlling gravity and the other 3 forces in the quarks and levitons (or what are they called ?) seems like a huge task indeed. If we ever manage to control those forces and use them to our advantage, we can literally say that the universe is ours, the possibilities are far beyond infinite (infinite power, no pollution, energy to mass conversion, using a black hole as wasteyard etc)
                          Progress is happening fast though with the new unification theory, the supersymmetry theory, the antimatter as far as theorie goes, and the new use of high-density laser particle acceleration as practical use and improvement goes ... and knowing that CERN only pays 2.5 million $ a year to antimatter development and research. We should invest a tenfold in these kind of things, even if we might be off-track, we'll get on track faster and I do believe it's a slight bit more important than placing a new windmill 10 miles into the ocean...

Comment

Originally posted by Darren
                            The spelling has actually been established on-screen, on a computer terminal (IIRC) when Lt. Col. Samuels is describing the naquadah-enhanced missiles ("Goa'uld busters") in Season Two's "The Serpent's Lair."

NAQUADAH
                            not to mention that it's in program descriptions for us with satellite
                            embre

Comment

Tritium is made of a metal, so we need a metal shell. The plasma wont touch the shell since the magnetic fields will keep it from doing just that. When the free neutrons hit the shell it will create tritium.

Comment

Does anyone here relise how little anti-matter it would take to blow Earth to pieces and send the moon flying off into spnce?
                                sigpic
                                I am Zim, Irken Invader Zim. I am responsible for the safe obliteration of the human race, not you!' - Zim - Invader Zim
                                'Don't worry, officer. You are in a filthy Earth brain hospital. Your feelings are normal. There's a squid brain in your head! ' - Zim - Invader Zim
                                'Now, to unleash screaming temporal doom! ' - Zim -Invader Zim

Comment

Working...
                                X