Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

British dramas do not 'suck'. Which dramas have you been watching?

I put things like Spooks or Apparitions, or other shows like that way above most of the US tv I've seen. And that INCLUDES Stargate.

British Stargate would be aimed at a completely different target audiance to that of the current Stargate. I suspect, the sort of people who appreciate high level drama like the shows I just mentioned.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

That's the point of the thread, how would a British Stargate have been.

I would argue, that as long as the military is involved, and there's a Stargate, it IS indeed Stargate.

Look at the original movie. Barely any humour, and by definition, that is Stargate at its truest.
      I would have to disagree. There was humor in the movie, just lower key. I also would argue that the first iteration is not necessarily the truest, just first. Ten years of TV SG-1 has at least as much precidence as the movie.
      I can see a British version having entirely British humor, and perhaps less of a focus, but it would seem to me that it must have some...

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
        British dramas do not 'suck'. Which dramas have you been watching?
        Well, for starters New Who's a bit crap (for full details on why I hate it, sift through the Binary Thread, you'll find a few rants).
        Touchwood... well it's a Who spin off...
        Ultimate Force, cheesy. I watched this with my brother in law, who's in the TA. He laughed all the way through at the sheer ridiculousness and how unrealistic it was.
        Umm...Afterlife - Actually pretty good
        The soaps.... what more can I say?
        Spooks - never watched, don't plan to.
        Skins - because all sixth formers have orgies on a regular basis
        Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

Originally posted by amconway View Post
          I would have to disagree. There was humor in the movie, just lower key. I also would argue that the first iteration is not necessarily the truest, just first. Ten years of TV SG-1 has at least as much precidence as the movie.
          I can see a British version having entirely British humor, and perhaps less of a focus, but it would seem to me that it must have some...
          Define humour though. SG1 and SGA practically has gags. If you're referring to the humour in the movie, that's low key and more akin to real life, which I concede, would be appropriate for the sort of show I imagine a British SG being.

And as "Star Gate" is the original form of an original idea, and SG1 is an "adaptation" regardless of which people prefer, I think it can be easily argued that the movie is the Stargate's core identity. And when considering how a British version would be we should go from that, not from current SG1, as why have a different interpretation at all if youre going to mirror someone elses interpretation?

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jedi_Master_Bra'tac View Post
            Well, for starters New Who's a bit crap (for full details on why I hate it, sift through the Binary Thread, you'll find a few rants).
            Ultimate Force, cheesy. I watched this with my brother in law, who's in the TA. He laughed all the way through at the sheer ridiculousness and how unrealistic it was.
            Doctor Who and Torchwood, whilst I disagree with you, are not what I was referring to when I said dramas. Doctor Who is a family show, I'm arguing that Stargate in Britain would be a show for adults. Torchwood... well... it's Torchwood.

Ultimate Force isn't one of my favourite shows, but it's ITV - what do you expect?

Soaps - have you SEEN American soaps? I don't like British soaps, but they make US ones look like Fantasy Adventure.

Skins - I detest, but it's aimed at teenagers. And thus I don't think counts as an adult drama.

Spooks - is a VERY high quality show. It's very up to date, and has a lot of thought in it. I'd say it's a fine example of good British drama.

Afterlife - you enjoy.

Try Apparitions.

I don't watch that much TV, but Britain has some great stuff out there. Not my thing, but The Hustle, is also reportedly very good.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

To be honest, I don't imagine there'd be much humour. I think maybe humerous comments in the same way real life has humerous comments, but I think unless the show was a family one, a British stargate show would be quite humourless.
              Actually there'd probably be alot more conflict within the team dynamic. O'Neills military background coming into conflict with Daniel and Sams scientific background would be ramped up alot. And as for Teal'c......well I reckon that the brief distrust towards him in season 1 would be played up to last a lot longer. Even given a major story ark where the audience is forced to wonder whether he really is on our side or not.
              Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                Actually there'd probably be alot more conflict within the team dynamic. O'Neills military background coming into conflict with Daniel and Sams scientific background would be ramped up alot. And as for Teal'c......well I reckon that the brief distrust towards him in season 1 would be played up to last a lot longer. Even given a major story ark where the audience is forced to wonder whether he really is on our side or not.
                Very true. I'd enjoy seeing that.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

*thinks back*..............Ah those were the days.....................

Comment

Very true. I'd enjoy seeing that.
                    Me too....It would certainly be a very cool show if we had it.
                    Oh. Also there would probably be alot more conflict between O'Neill and Hammond. I mean they'd respect eachother and like eachother. But Hammond wouldn't see them as like a family as he does in the actual show. They'd show a general who is forced to be very much detached from his people.

Comment

Me too....It would certainly be a very cool show if we had it.
                      Oh. Also there would probably be alot more conflict between O'Neill and Hammond. I mean they'd respect eachother and like eachother. But Hammond wouldn't see them as like a family as he does in the actual show. They'd show a general who is forced to be very much detached from his people.
                      This is what Mario Azzopardi, the director of COTG wanted. Don S Davis, being in the military in his lifetime, said "You know real generals aren't like this", but apparently Mario was adamant Hammond was gonna be a stereotype. This is why Hammond is a bit of an ass in the first episode and not after that.
                      I'm pretty sure this was in Don's interview with GW, might have heard it somewhere else.

Comment

This is what Mario Azzopardi, the director of COTG wanted. Don S Davis, being in the military in his lifetime, said "You know real generals aren't like this", but apparently Mario was adamant Hammond was gonna be a stereotype. This is why Hammond is a bit of an ass in the first episode and not after that.
                        I'm pretty sure this was in Don's interview with GW, might have heard it somewhere else.
                        Well the stereotype worked in the first couple of episodes. It was nice to see hammond thaw out throughout the first season. But from a drama perspective it would be better to keep him as that stereotype. Up to a point anyway. He'd obviously have to soften a bit. But in the end in a british show he'd be much harder than the hammond we know.

Comment

Well the stereotype worked in the first couple of episodes. It was nice to see hammond thaw out throughout the first season. But from a drama perspective it would be better to keep him as that stereotype. Up to a point anyway. He'd obviously have to soften a bit. But in the end in a british show he'd be much harder than the hammond we know.
                          I imagine he'd be JUST like Harry Pearce in Spooks. Immensely protective of his people, caring for them, but quite prickly.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Why do you assume just because it'd be made by the same nationality as the people who made Spooks, it'd be exactly like Spooks?

OOO I've just thought of a drama I like, Jonathan Creek! That had a good mix of drama and humour.

Comment

I imagine he'd be JUST like Harry Pearce in Spooks. Immensely protective of his people, caring for them, but quite prickly.
                              Yeah exactly...I would have said that but I couldn't remember the guys name.

Comment

Why do you assume just because it'd be made by the same nationality as the people who made Spooks, it'd be exactly like Spooks?

OOO I've just thought of a drama I like, Jonathan Creek! That had a good mix of drama and humour.
                                Because it's just the way people expect a military unit to be portrayed. The British public don't have a really great love affair with the military.....well not the army anyway. People love the Airforce and Navy.

Comment

Working...
                                X