This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Juice View Post
    The main difference would be that a UK version would have a tiny budget, and would be much worse. The only improvements I could see is maybe we would have more variety of offworlds. We would have the usual forest/village fair and also abandoned cities(british TV has an obsession with this at the mo)
    Well we may not have the same budgets, but then our programs never have. This does not mean our's are any worse, it only means that we can't use the special effects and CGI to capture viewer and we have to fall back on story lines and characters.

I know that a lot of stargate fans, dislike that Stargate SG1 went down the "Ship battles" route, so I cant see it doing to much damage!
    A Proud Supporter of "Fan-Slash-Fiction" Since 1998

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Krisz View Post

Horrible indeed! Although, on second thought, hasn't it already been done in 'Irresistable'?!
      Haha....good point all that was missing was a few Oooooh matrons!

Originally posted by shipper hannah View Post
      If Stargate was British it would never have lasted so many seasons. Shows stay around for shorter lengths of time here I think.
      I'd imagine the military wouldn't be shown in quite so nice a light either.
      Originally posted by razzel_daxxel View Post
      Well That depends on when it was wirtten. If we were taking it from when it was written in the US.... Minus the Movie of course!!!! Then you never know how long it would last, I mean look at Dr who, its been going since 23rd November 1963!!!! If you wanted to you could argue that there has been almost 30 seasons of it as well
      Most British TV shows in general have much shorter seasons 8 -13 epis at the most. This does have a good effect IMO because the writers don't have to scratch around for filler episodes. The stories tends to rattle along.... add a bit of some character development and then they finish.

So would Stargate have lasted so long?.. hard to say. If it had been taken to the hearts of us all it could have gone the Dr Who route, otherwise it would have been long gone. The one thing Dr Who and Stargate have in common is the popular family appeal. I dare say there isn't one person in the country who doesn't know who Dr Who is. I wouldn't think you could say the same about Stargate in the US though.

If it was done Spooks style I agree with the person who said there would be a lot more deaths. Sheppard would have been killed off after a couple of seasons. It would make the deaths of Weir and Carson seems tame by comparison. No one would be safe.

Anyone know the difference in the budgets for Dr Who and Stargate ?
      sigpic

Comment

Flying Officer Bennett;9391650]Wouldn't say 'work', but I do have a base. I'm an RAF Officer Cadet at the moment and I'm currently being trained whilst doing a degree in International Politics & Strategic Studies. Sort of like Cadet Hailey from the prodigal - but we don't have specific Air Force academies here in Britain.

Womble, that sounds interesting, was it post-continuum in this reality or the alternate reality?

Razzel,I always imagined any British SGC would be located possibly in Scotland in the countryside.
        Most likely. I imagine it wouldnt be far for the naval bases where we keep our nukes.

Comment

Originally posted by LizzieAnne View Post

Anyone know the difference in the budgets for Dr Who and Stargate ?
          Not pound for pound (or dollar for dollar) but Dr Who has nowhere near the budget Atlantis has, hence less focus on SFX and studio filming and the majority of it filmed in Wales

Comment

i think if we made it, it would tend 2 lean dwn the spooks route, but thn they wud hav killed o'neill in the second eps n tht wud hav sucked big time, but on the upside we cud do away with thm 304s coz we cudnt afford the CGI lol. just hope tht they dnt do a Merlin or robin hood on use n f&*k it up big time, also i wud lv 2 see thm use the sas n other elites from the uk like para n royal marines. love 2 see more ground base fightin where we lose now and agen and main charaters DIE, no clones no replicators no robot copys, but thts just my opinion on the matter

Comment

Originally posted by Richwallwin View Post
              i think if we made it, it would tend 2 lean dwn the spooks route, but thn they wud hav killed o'neill in the second eps n tht wud hav sucked big time, but on the upside we cud do away with thm 304s coz we cudnt afford the CGI lol. just hope tht they dnt do a Merlin or robin hood on use n f&*k it up big time, also i wud lv 2 see thm use the sas n other elites from the uk like para n royal marines. love 2 see more ground base fightin where we lose now and agen and main charaters DIE, no clones no replicators no robot copys, but thts just my opinion on the matter
              Kewl, Green for you LOL That would be a + to a British Stargate, once your dead, your dead for good!
              A Proud Supporter of "Fan-Slash-Fiction" Since 1998

sigpic

Comment

You know, the more I read this thread and spend hours thinking about it (gotta love unemployment...) the more I think a UK Stargate series - as part of the proper franchise as opposed to how we would have done it if it had been our property from the start - could work, and work well. Maybe our take on the established mythology, and our additions to it could be just what Stargate needs.

Well if SGU goes belly up, there's always the slim chance of getting Kudos (makers of Spooks) to convince MGM they could do a low budget UK centred spin-off to revitalise the franchise - no ships, no alien tech, just a small British offworld base. Plenty of gritty ground combat scenes, and the best bit? NO CANADIAN FOREST PLANETS!!!! I mean, I love Canada - best (and only) holiday I ever had - but c'mon! Let's introduce planets that closely resemble Scotland, or Wales, or the Yorkshire moors.

Okay, the odds of that are about as likely as me winning the Lotto jackpot three times in a row, but it's a nice thought...although there is a sort of precedent. I think I'm right in saying there has been one major US show that very nearly got (and may yet get) an "official" UK produced spin-off series. That would have been Ripper, a BBC made spin-off from Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

So you never know. Highly improbable, but not impossible.

Originally posted by Womble View Post
                Sealurk had a very well written story based around a British SG team. It was styled as a "pilot" for a post-"Continuum", British-centered Stargate spinoff, with some clever SG-1 style use of Norse mythology. I did some proof reading for it, but I don't know if he eventually posted it anywhere. You might want to PM him and ask.
                Shameless Plug: I'm working on expanding it and setting it up for sequels because I enjoyed writing it so much. Chapter 1 should be up on fanfiction.net soon!
                And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
                sigpic
                Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Originally posted by Richwallwin View Post
                  Oh! For the love of god please just STOP IT.

Does this forum feature an "ignore" button?
                  Mongoletsi is bigger than hip...hop...

Comment

Originally posted by Gavatarman View Post
                    they would say boot and bonnent, stuff like that. I dont think it would be totally diff, except for some of the cursing and cleavge. NOT allowed in Britian
                    You are joking, right? Perchance any Brit TV you see is editted for the US sensibilities?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedi_Master_Bra'tac View Post
                      British Stargate would, like most British dramas, suck. Though I am a fan of our sitcoms and comedies (NOT Catherine Tate or Little Britain, which is so repetitive you might as well only watch one episode).
                      I kind of agree. Holby City (nee Casualty) is an embarassment compared to ER. Spooks is the same when compared to CSI, and especially when compared to 24.

But then there's greats such as Cracker and Messiah, or This Life, or even niche stuff like The Thick Of It and Party Animals.

Please don't say you like 'stenders or Corrie

I ****ing hate Dr Who though. The only thing worse than that toss is Torchwood!

Comment

O_O *gasp* I LOVE Dr Who! its so amusing.

Comment

Originally posted by Caldwell's 2IC View Post
                          Many of the new shows - American TV mostly - are not half as good, even with special effects. Maybe the exception to that would be the new version of Battlestar Galactica, even when I admit I'm not a fan of the show.
                          What? I thought everybody here liked nuevo BSG? I'm genuinely astounded

I would like to see new british sci-fi, but that is not easy living in Mexico
                          I'm a Brit, but when I was in Mexico (soy Chilango ahora ) I could watch the BBC and stuff.

Anyway, nobody seems to have mentioned the significant British input into the new BSG. I know were in an SG forum so I won't ramble on. But Sky were heavily involved in the first season (iirc). Jamie Bamber (Apollo) is a Brit - he was in.... ULTIMATE FORCE, and Baltar was in Soldier, Soldier.

Comment

Originally posted by razzel_daxxel View Post
                            ... I went to Langley for a trip whilst a part of the C.C.F I was so young back then lol...
                            WHAT? CCF gimp goes to Langley, and I, a clearly superior ATC cadet, went to RAF Hereford (a total sh1t hole). How is THAT fair

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoletsi View Post
                              I kind of agree. Holby City (nee Casualty) is an embarassment compared to ER. Spooks is the same when compared to CSI, and especially when compared to 24.

But then there's greats such as Cracker and Messiah, or This Life, or even niche stuff like The Thick Of It and Party Animals.

Please don't say you like 'stenders or Corrie

I ****ing hate Dr Who though. The only thing worse than that toss is Torchwood!
                              good point though

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Fifth View Post
                                Bad Spellers of the world untie!
                                Funny

Comment

Working...
                                X