This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ykickamoocow View Post
    Ive seen that show afew times and if Colonal O'Neill is anything like that bald guy (the main character) then it would certainly change Stargate. That bald guy was a complete psycho.
    Lol. Well I'm not arguing for Stargate Ultimate Force - but Britain has been rather good at producing dramas based on professions - 'Soldier, Soldier', 'Ultimate Force', 'Spooks', and so on. Regarding Ultimate Force though, Ross Kemp's Character (ie the bald one) is Special Forces, and they're all bound to be a little psychotic. I however see a British Colonel O'Neill being more like Adam from Spooks however.

Incidentally, I think if it were a British show, it would be the British Army in command of the Stargate, as unlike America, who's primary force I believe is the USAF, our Army is our primary military organisation, with the Navy and Air Force being much more of support forces. I would put this down to the fact that the US Army is a VERY different kind of organisation, where as the British Army much more closely resembles the US Marine Corps in terms of operational capacity and mandate - but is also where the majority of defence projects come from.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
      I think it would be considerably different.

If only due to the politics, regardless of whether or not the SGC was under British or US control in a British version. Things would be a lot darker, and I think there'd be considerably more deaths. I imagine it would be by the makers of Spooks and so probably a post water shed sci fi show. And the military would not always be shown in the good light it is in Stargate. There'd probably be a lot more power struggles with more resonating consequences. There'd also probably be a lot more focus on the tatical side with less humour and more actual combat in line with a show such as Ultimate Force.

I imagine transatlantic politics would be a bigger theme as well, with our main competitor not being the Russians, but actually being the US.
      Plus they can do more on the secret government organizations that not even the other branches know about. like the game Second Sight, very accurate about the NSA and the inner divisions but is made in the states. The Canadians can't because they are within striking distance

IF it were based in Britain (though The US is THE supreme military power) it couldn't put in half the crap the British Government does behind it's citizens back and thus be uninteresting.

The actors... well since you have Amanda and David (Brits in Canada) and all the other actors are Canadian Who would you cast?
      There is a Plethora of talented British actors but it wouldn't be the same.

Comment

Lol. Well I'm not arguing for Stargate Ultimate Force - but Britain has been rather good at producing dramas based on professions - 'Soldier, Soldier', 'Ultimate Force', 'Spooks', and so on. Regarding Ultimate Force though, Ross Kemp's Character (ie the bald one) is Special Forces, and they're all bound to be a little psychotic. I however see a British Colonel O'Neill being more like Adam from Spooks however.
        Though in saying that if the Stargate actually existed then i think that people like the guys in Ultimate Force would be the only ones allowed through the gate. The may be abit psychotic (as for Ross Kemp's character "very psychotic) but they would be the ones you would want fighting on other planets against aliens who want to destroy the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Fifth View Post

IF it were based in Britain (though The US is THE supreme military power) it couldn't put in half the crap the British Government does behind it's citizens back and thus be uninteresting.

(
          Can I ask what you mean exactly?

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Plus they can do more on the secret government organizations that not even the other branches know about. like the game Second Sight, very accurate about the NSA and the inner divisions but is made in the states. The Canadians can't because they are within striking distance

The actors... well since you have Amanda and David (Brits in Canada) and all the other actors are Canadian Who would you cast?
            There is a Plethora of talented British actors but it wouldn't be the same.
            To go off topic only slighlty, it depends in what term you are dicussing the Armed Forces, If you mean the Largest then it would be China, as for best trained then the Brits take that (as in covert ops, commandos etc....), Technology wise they USA would win that, there is no real way to "measure" an Army.....really....

And it most liley put a lot more conspiracy thoreys init, a lot of British Sci Fi/Drama, deal with curruption in side Parilment etc..... Corpartaions against Govement and Goverments againts Corpartaions......
            A Proud Supporter of "Fan-Slash-Fiction" Since 1998

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by razzel_daxxel View Post
              To go off topic only slighlty, it depends in what term you are dicussing the Armed Forces, If you mean the Largest then it would be China, as for best trained then the Brits take that (as in covert ops, commandos etc....), Technology wise they USA would win that, there is no real way to "measure" an Army.....really....

And it most liley put a lot more conspiracy thoreys init, a lot of British Sci Fi/Drama, deal with curruption in side Parilment etc..... Corpartaions against Govement and Goverments againts Corpartaions......
              Actually its usually the small armies which have the best trained soldiers because governments put alot more money into training each individual soldier in order to compensate for their small army.

Comment

Well compared to places like, USA, Korea, China, Japan, Russia (Thank god for consrcipting ) and even Germany, Britain do have a relativly small amry, its only through the NATO/EU, that we could class the Armys of the Spanish, French etc.... as a European Armed Forces LOL

Just got a P.M. from someone who shall remain nameless Saying i was diss'ing the USA and UK's Army.... I wasn't! Every country has a strong Armed Forces for diffrent reason!

sigpic

Comment

Can I ask what you mean exactly?
                  What I mean about what? I mention three thing in that sentence.

I didn't mean that as an insult. I love British TV of all genres.

Comment

Thats kewl lol, I dont think anyone took it as an insult.

I dont think the SGC would be as big as the SGC in the USA, I imgaine it would be more like a office block kinda think, more futureistic, and there would be fewer teams, the team would be less "first contact" and more "covert" as such!

sigpic

Comment

it couldn't put in half the crap the British Government does behind it's citizens back and thus be uninteresting
                      Just that sentance, I don't fully understand what you mean.

Razzel, two things.

First, whoever criticised you for apparently insulting the US need to realise that training means a lot. And if the US wants to have technology at the forefront of their military might, then fine, but other countries, instead of spending that much money, opt for training. It's why our Marines are completely different to the USMC. They're commandos. NOT a second Army.

Secondally I disagree about how you suggest the SGC would be in Britain. Have you been on many British military bases? I'd say futuristic maybe if the programme were to be run by say... MI6 or let's throw up a number based on the older Military Intelligence programmes... MI16 (Scientific Intelligence - WW2). But if the British Army or even the RAF operated the programme... well, tbh I'd say more like the Russian's when they had a SG programme in Watergate.

Although admittadly, there are newer more technologically advanced installations springing up in the British forces, so I could be wrong. My base has a so called "super hanger" which is nothing like the hangers of days gone by, and it would be conceivable that a more hi-tech operation could take place in one of those.

But I agree about more covert, the teams would be made up from the Royal Marines, the Special Air Service, and either the RAF Regiment or Paratroopers, the latter depending on who ran the programme.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

If it was made in the UK (and especially if it was made by the makers of spooks) SG1 would have died and been replaced 10+ times by now...
                        They would also probably have to sit out and cry for an episode or two every time they shot their gun at someone...

Comment

*sigh* wow to detail. the British government seems to have as many secret branches of government as the US (I live in Ontario now but I am a political science major in the US) just from what I've heard from my British friends. I mean other then the British intelligence agency. I am not talking about conspiracy theories. The US does the same thing so I guess I should of not made it sound so harsh. long story involving the Bretton Woods conference and WTO. I don't think this is the Thread for it though.

Comment

*sigh* wow to detail. the British government seems to have as many secret branches of government as the US (I live in Ontario now but I am a political science major in the US) just from what I've heard from my British friends. I mean other then the British intelligence agency. I am not talking about conspiracy theories. The US does the same thing so I guess I should of not made it sound so harsh. long story involving the Bretton Woods conference and WTO. I don't think this is the Thread for it though.
                            Well we apparently had a lot more, during World War 2 there were 20 documented Military Intelligence branches plus The Government Code and Cypher School (now GCHQ).

Spoilered for space:

Spoiler:
                            MI1 Administration.

MI2 Information on Middle and Far East, Scandinavia, USA, USSR, Central and South America.

MI3 Information on Europe and the Baltic Provinces (plus USSR, Eastern Europe and Scandinavia after Summer 1941).

MI4 Geographical section - maps (transferred to Military Operations in April 1940).

MI5 Liaison with Security Service.

MI6 Liaison with SIS.

MI7 Press and propaganda (transferred to Ministry of Information in May 1940).

MI8 Signals interception and communications security.

MI9 Escaped British PoW debriefing, escape and evasion (plus enemy PoW interrogation until December 1941).

MI10 Technical Intelligence world-wide.

MI11 Military Security.

MI12 Liaison with censorship organisations in Ministry of Information, military censorship.

MI13 Not Used.

MI14 Germany and German-occupied territories (aerial photography until Spring 1943).

MI15 Aerial photography (in Spring 1943 aerial photography moved to the Air Ministry and MI15 became air defence intelligence).

MI16 Scientific Intelligence (formed 1945).

MI17 Secretariat for Director of Military Intelligence (from April 1943).

MI18 Not Used.

MI19 Enemy PoW interrogation (formed from MI9 in December 1941).

MI (JIS) Axis planning staff.

MI L (R) Russian Liaison.

MI L Attaches.

Now we just have MI5 - The Security Service; tasked with homeland security against espionage and terrorism, MI6 - The Secret Intelliegence Service; tasked with overseas intelligence gathering, and GCHQ - Government Communications Headquarters; equivilant to the NSA I believe.

Royal Air Force and British Army Intelligence isn't secretive per se except for the information they handle, unlike the MI's in which you can't even tell people you work for them.

In addition in terms of military units, we have the Special Air Service, Special Boat Service, and Special Reconaissance Regiment, which, again is entirely secretive, however only the latter is primarily an intelligence gathering organisation.

Of course, for all I know, and for all most of the world know, there could very well be other organisations but in that case, they would be *very* secretive.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

This is True. all the riot control weapons that they are working on that the US is helping with. do you work on a British base?

Comment

Thankfully I have been to a few RAF basses, Mainly during my 11 weeks basic tranning and I went to Langley for a trip whilst a part of the C.C.F I was so young back then lol...

I still have my RAF uniform, Its most likly been eaten by moths now lol, where would the SGC be? We could not have it in London......duhh LOL

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X