Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Okay, so a tank won't fit through a Stargate, but...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay, so a tank won't fit through a Stargate, but...

How about an automated turret? If you ever watched the discovery channel and seen the weapons of war you know they can create some pretty nifty weapons that would fit through a Stargate. Plus the SG teams are always walking. It'd be pretty stupid to drive a car through the stargate, but an all terrain vehicle might help save a lot of walking time.

Not exactly discrete reconaissance is it?

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Cap from "Forever in a day"

Spoiler:

This was actually one of the episodes I capped, glad to know it was useful to somebody

Not exactly "automated", but a turret none the less
      Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

i thought of them using the tank on the battefield blowing those jaffa up and running them over.

Comment

I'd rather see UAVs with Air to Ground attack capability. (They do exist)

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

I don't know the exact dimensions of a tank, but maybe a small tank like a M4 Sherman or something of the sort probably would fit through the gate.

Comment

that wasn't a turret, it was a MALP with a machine gun fitted on top

Now, Atlantis needs something like this:

Go Green

Comment

And into the gate room how?

Apart from constructing it in there.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

sent military remote control robots gunning anyone in sight

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
                    And into the gate room how?

Apart from constructing it in there.
                    As we've seen, the gate room is capable of opening up from the top. Presumably anything can be set down carefully with a crane. That picture of O'Neill firing the gun is funny. Hooray for Jaffa tactics. Instead of crouching and picking him off from the ridge, they just run in waving their staff weapons in the air.

Comment

Originally posted by The6thRace View Post
                      As we've seen, the gate room is capable of opening up from the top. Presumably anything can be set down carefully with a crane. That picture of O'Neill firing the gun is funny. Hooray for Jaffa tactics. Instead of crouching and picking him off from the ridge, they just run in waving their staff weapons in the air.
                      like this guy says

Comment

they could use the Asgard beaming to get it into the gate room

Comment

Originally posted by The6thRace View Post
                          Doesn't seem practical to be honest. Besides, the only thing Tanks are actually good for is destroying large scale enemy combat units (most of which in the gateverse fly) and holding territory upon advancing in a massive brigade assault. SG teams act as commando units and don't engage in the sort of warfare that would benefit from tanks. The best heavy weaponry support that they could get would be air support from 302s, which would be better equipped for a CAS, Air Interdiction, or a generic air to air role. They're also deployable via 304.

Show me a battle than SG teams would want to win in order to seize ground.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
                            I'd rather see UAVs with Air to Ground attack capability. (They do exist)
                            Pretty sure they used UAVs on several episodes of SG1, right now I can only remember Death Knell (season 7), and it was capable of ground attack. I also remember stargate command launching missiles thru the gate to eliminate jaffa guarding the gate on the other side, but I do not remember what episode.

edit: It was episode Sacrifices from the season 8. They fire missiles thru the gate to eliminate jaffa ground positions. In this episode they also use an UAV to target the jaffa (for the missiles) and drop tretonin for Teal'c, but in this case the UAV itself didn't carry any weapons I think.
                            Last edited by eneuhaus; 26 August 2008, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by eneuhaus View Post
                              Pretty sure they used UAVs on several episodes of SG1, right now I can only remember Death Knell (season 7), and it was capable of ground attack. I also remember stargate command launching missiles thru the gate to eliminate jaffa guarding the gate on the other side, but I do not remember what episode.
                              I remember the UAVs, I don't recall the ground attack.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X