Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That would depend on what you would consider to be interference. Trickng scores of people into worshipping you as gods, yeah that's not good. Cleaning up your own numerous personal messes that might stand to hurt a lot of innocent people before moving on to live happilly ever after in ascencion land... well that's just showing a sense of responsability really, something they obviously lack.

It's no wonder Daniel left/got booted. I couldn't have taken it either.

That's another intersting point actually. What gives the ascended ancients the right to decide who can and can't be ascended and what they can and can't do with the power it gives them. Isn't that in itself a pretty massive act of interference, the whole making yourself into the self appointed ascencion police and all. It's not as if the ascended realm is their own personal social club and only their friends who agree with their bent ideologies are allowed. That would be like somebody going around the normal material universe and basically trying to exterminate/remove anyone and everyone who's idealogies or outlook on life is sufficiently opposed to their own.

Oh wait, that's pretty much what Earth is doing of late isn't it. I guess SGverse humanity is on the path to ascencion after all.

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post
      That would depend on what you would consider to be interference. Trickng scores of people into worshipping you as gods, yeah that's not good. Cleaning up your own numerous personal messes that might stand to hurt a lot of innocent people before moving on to live happilly ever after in ascencion land... well that's just showing a sense of responsability really, something they obviously lack.

It's no wonder Daniel left/got booted. I couldn't have taken it either.

That's another intersting point actually. What gives the ascended ancients the right to decide who can and can't be ascended and what they can and can't do with the power it gives them. Isn't that in itself a pretty massive act of interference, the whole making yourself into the self appointed ascencion police and all. It's not as if the ascended realm is their own personal social club and only their friends who agree with their bent ideologies are allowed. That would be like somebody going around the normal material universe and basically trying to exterminate/remove anyone and everyone who's idealogies or outlook on life is sufficiently opposed to their own.

Oh wait, that's pretty much what Earth is doing of late isn't it. I guess SGverse humanity is on the path to ascencion after all.
      Good reasoning. I think the ass-sended ones are just a bunch of arrogant low life (even though they think they are a high life) ****heads. Sorry about the language.

Comment

ascension in the Stargate universe in an interesting notion. However, we cannot turn our backs on our own faiths when being made an offer that sounds too good to be true.

Kind of goes back to the notion of being a good Ori follower and the they will ascend you.

But this is the catch--as i see it:

Enlightenment is the key to ascension.

now, what is enlightenment?

is it gaining all the knowledge in the universe Or is it--as with Buddhist--the right perception of reality.

What have to gain if you never learned the knowledge that is granted to you? Could you actually understand the knowledge or would you just be a depository of knowledge with no comprehension?

Enlightenment is the perception of truth and reality. The realization that all of space/time is interwoven together and truth is the ability to see exactly where you fit into the reality.

So, if some advanced being came along and offered me ascension and all the knowledge of the universe, I would respectfully decline because the reality is that I would never learn the truth about my existence through a sea of knowledge that could drown me.
        Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Yes, Who wouldn't want to acsend.

Comment

Ascension is something that anyone should have to accomplish on their own. Granted, I am selfish enough to accept help towards that end... however that doesn't mean I know it's the correct thing to do.
            I see a lot of people griping at the ancients because of their non interference ideology. Basically, I agree with the ancient's view on that. To falsely accelerate the development, either philosophically or technologically, towards ascension would not be right nor fair to the people being helped. Each race should have to figure it out to, as the person above me stated (Jackie), understand the universe and become enlightened. To be given help to situations not on their plane of existence to 'lower planes' would alter the development of those races assisted. The show itself has shown us several pieces of evidence towards that end. Hell, even Anubis ascended with assistance because of personal ignorance by Oma (which is why Daniel left). Because of her actions the lower planes of existence were greatly altered.
            Back to Daniel. Oma was the one that stopped Daniel from attacking Anubis. Daniel got pissed at her and demanded an explanation. That's where he learned that Oma assisted Anubis in ascension. He got even further pissed and decided the only way to do something about it was to descend (hopefully with some memory of what happened while ascended).
            Bottom line: The ancient's view on non interference is the correct one. The road to enlightenment should be taken by those willing to go through the effort to get there. As such, once there, they should leave this mortal way of life behind w/o giving into "assisting" it.
            "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
            Mark Twain

Daniel Jackson and Sam Carter are the kinds of nerds I want to be.

Comment

Working...
            X