This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

more ranting on season 2

Spirits contained about every stereotype about Native Americans that there is.

I kept hoping Tioumi (sp?) would turn into Coyote and say "Just joking, kids!" But that never happened, he remained the eager/happy aborignal.

Sam is so cute trying to talk to the doggie sincerely and failing horribly

=============

still have not recover from those horrible shoes in Tok'kra - maybe they could borrow Ba'al's stylist
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Iffy View Post
      more ranting on season 2

Spirits contained about every stereotype about Native Americans that there is.

I kept hoping Tioumi (sp?) would turn into Coyote and say "Just joking, kids!" But that never happened, he remained the eager/happy aborignal.

Sam is so cute trying to talk to the doggie sincerely and failing horribly

=============

still have not recover from those horrible shoes in Tok'kra - maybe they could borrow Ba'al's stylist
      They tried the 'fashion Tok'ra' thing- Anise's outfit the first time round was OK, but the pointy boobs thing later on? And in sickly green? Eww!

Yep, 'Spirits' is one of my least favourite eps. Sam might have acquited herself well, but what were the writers smoking?! And that cliched music, urgh...
      sigpic

Courtesy of smurf, as always

Comment

In this case I don't think they were smoking anything

there is a fine line between stereotype and archetype
        sigpic

Comment

My confusion lies with how their brains went:
          Native American+crazy-looking gilled aliens wrapped in what looks like a cross between tin foil and a condom wrapper...

They can't get the balance right. First, they were violent and 'immoral' (read: not like us). Then, once they had finally admitted that the white settler superiority complex was wrong and that their behaviour upon occasion veered close to genocide, they decided they had to show the more interesting side of Native American culture- only then they removed all the other aspects, and made them into cliched, New Agey people who fit into a cultural stereotype in terms of speech, spirituality, etc that is given to anyone 'native' (a word with nasty connotations) in film or TV- showing that no, we haven't really moved on from the Victorian novel (eg. Rider Haggard) whatsoever. The only saving grace is that the character was not shown as completely 'spiritual'- he had a childlike quality that I imagined would be almost cheeky if he wasn't such a fish out of water.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by resurgamlaura View Post
            My confusion lies with how their brains went:
            Native American+crazy-looking gilled aliens wrapped in what looks like a cross between tin foil and a condom wrapper...
            well they don't want to get comtaminated by Tauri germs or something at least they did not have clod-hopper shoes.

condom wrapper *teehee*

They can't get the balance right. First, they were violent and 'immoral' (read: not like us). Then, once they had finally admitted that the white settler superiority complex was wrong and that their behaviour upon occasion veered close to genocide, they decided they had to show the more interesting side of Native American culture- only then they removed all the other aspects, and made them into cliched, New Agey people who fit into a cultural stereotype in terms of speech, spirituality, etc that is given to anyone 'native' (a word with nasty connotations) in film or TV- showing that no, we haven't really moved on from the Victorian novel (eg. Rider Haggard) whatsoever.

I can't remember her name at the moment but one Native American Feminist referrs to it as "fluffy bunny spirituality" Making native cultures so simplistic and utopian.

Looking at the structures they were using they were not nomdic. Nomidic peoples tend not to have large artwork hangning up or non-mobile structures.

Maybe they just pointed to a spot on a map and said AH HA Northwest Indians!

Now I have that stupid picture of Malinoski in my head. White European male in th South Pacific leg on log looking all "manly and superior"

The only saving grace is that the character was not shown as completely 'spiritual'- he had a childlike quality that I imagined would be almost cheeky if he wasn't such a fish out of water.

I still think he should have been one of the condom wrapper guys. He was way to direct for most Native American societies.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Iffy View Post
              well they don't want to get comtaminated by Tauri germs or something at least they did not have clod-hopper shoes.

condom wrapper *teehee*

I can't remember her name at the moment but one Native American Feminist referrs to it as "fluffy bunny spirituality" Making native cultures so simplistic and utopian.

Looking at the structures they were using they were not nomdic. Nomidic peoples tend not to have large artwork hangning up or non-mobile structures.

Maybe they just pointed to a spot on a map and said AH HA Northwest Indians!

Now I have that stupid picture of Malinoski in my head. White European male in th South Pacific leg on log looking all "manly and superior"

I still think he should have been one of the condom wrapper guys. He was way to direct for most Native American societies.
              That's an apt description. There seems to be no middle ground. Horribly violent or 'fluffy bunny'. Some choice.
              Unfortunately, if they don't have someone on the team who is really, really interested in this kind of stuff, then you get the whole 'look it up on the 'net, watch a film' issue.
              Condom wrapper guys. With gills. And bad haircuts
              sigpic

Comment

the whole gill *rolls eyes*. Looks like a way to get dust and bugs stuck in it. But than I guess they can just do the woner woman thing w/ their wrists.
                sigpic

Comment

Thunderclap!
                  Seeing Hammond doing that was hilarious. If you've read 'Doctor Jackson's Diaries' then you'll be familiar with the phrase 'Aztec George'. That expression he had on his face was a total stony 'Aztec' Hammond moment
                  sigpic

Comment

Thunderclap!
                    Seeing Hammond doing that was hilarious. If you've read 'Doctor Jackson's Diaries' then you'll be familiar with the phrase 'Aztec George'. That expression he had on his face was a total stony 'Aztec' Hammond moment
                    I haven't read them but - uh yea I can get the gist from the 'Axtec Hammond' clue

Watched Touchstone this morning - They were nowhere near Parawon, Utah way too much green and too many trees. It is a desert HELLO!
                    sigpic

Comment

Ah, the joys of filming in British Columbia. Trees and rocks...and rocks and trees and...yeah. They only have one old quarry for their desert stuff like in 'Forsaken' or eps set on Abydos where they just can't get away with forest...
                      British Columbia automatically makes me think of the Lumberjack song. Oops, Monty Python again
                      sigpic

Comment

hums lumberjack song

more ranting about the Tok'kra

It is ok to use a Gou'ld as a breeder for your drug habit, but not ok to use a Tok'kra. Now it seems to me that if you don't want it done to you - well does it not follow that it is still bad to do to another and if you dont' think so well hhhmmmmmmm.... who else would agree w/ that. Let's think a minute? ??? Maybe the Gou'ld

Granted the above is very simplistic and they are at war w/ each other. But Malak (who I do acutally like) is all ok until it is Their founder and than the medical testing becomes mongo bad.

demonizing of the enemy
                        sigpic

Comment

Definate demonising, but then again Goa'uld queens are more common and have a habit of spawning unpleasant things, whereas the Tok'ra, although not as great as they'd like to think, are not born completely nuts and wanting to take over the galaxy- and Egeria is one of a tiny number of Tok'ra queens- the only one left capable of breeding, as well as important as having decided that enslaving people isn't very nice all on her lonesome. They would be desperate. Still doesn't make them totally right, though...
                          sigpic

Comment

What ensalving people is bad I know she was severely radical for a "Gou'ld."
                            They pride themselves on such high morals.

Maybe Daniel should give them some Darwin and evoluntioary ecology to read.
                            sigpic

Comment

I now have an image of a load of Jaffa warriors in full armour sitting quietly reading copies of Darwin studiously...not what you meant, but just a really random image that popped into my head. Like a doctor's waiting room. With staff weapons...
                              sigpic

Comment

I now have an image of a load of Jaffa warriors in full armour sitting quietly reading copies of Darwin studiously...not what you meant, but just a really random image that popped into my head. Like a doctor's waiting room. With staff weapons...

no but that is completely hilarious
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X