Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joseph Mallozzi's Blog! (SPOILERS For All SG Shows and Dark Matter)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...ning-the-well/

February 7, 2014

Photos: Skylight by Kevin R. Hopkins, Night of the Hunter by Davis Grubb, Annihilation by Jeff Vandermeer, The Sun Warriors by Robert Mills, Her Husband's hands and other stories by Adam-Troy Castro, The 400lb. Gorilla by CD Farmer, Stargate: Atlantis

Yes, our Book of the Month Club is back and we’re kicking things off with a March 3rd discussion of Matthew Kloos’s Terms of Enlistment, the book YOU selected in our January poll. Aint democracy grand? With February upon is, it’s time for another round of voting as we choose our April Book of the Month Club pick. Like last month, I made use of SF Signal’s handy monthly rundown of genre book releases complete with covers and links to synopses:

http://www.sfsignal.com/archives/201...cover-gallery/

I refined the process, selecting only those books available in paperback so that everyone can participate. As a result, some of my hardcover nominees failed to make the cut (The Martian, The Winter People, Influx, Strange Bodies, and The Waking Engine) but, for those of you nevertheless intrigued, I’ll be reading and reviewing them as part of my new “Monthly Reads and Capsule Reviews” which will also include all of the nominated titles in our monthly poll – so that I can inform you whether you made the right choice or not.

Anyway, here are the nominees for our April Book of the Month Club discussion...

SKYLIGHT (Kevin R. Hopkins) Paperback, 400 pages.

One October night, millions died when the air suddenly became unbreathable. Miraculously left alive, Martin Fall journeys home to Los Angeles and watches as society collapses all around him, leaving him to pick up the pieces. But when he’s recruited for a dangerous mission, he must confront his tragic past to rescue a technology that could save the earth from destroying itself.

[Suitably crypic.]

NIGHT OF THE HUNTER (Davis Grubb) Paperback, 198 pages

Inspired by serial killer Harry Powers, “The Bluebeard of Quiet Dell,” who was hung in 1932 for his murders of two widows and three children. This best-selling novel, first published in 1953 to wide acclaim by author Grubb, (who like Powers lived in Clarksburg, West Virginia), served as the basis for Charles Laughton’s noir classic . Renamed “Harry Powell,” the lead character in this book, with LOVE and HATE tattooed on his fingers, is remembered as one of the creepiest men in book and cinema history.

[This one is, obviously, a re-release of the original book. But I've heard mixed reviews of the new edition so feel free to grab any copy if this one wins out].

ANNIHILATION (Jeff Vandermeer) Paperback, 208 pages.

Area X has been cut off from the rest of the continent for decades. Nature has reclaimed the last vestiges of human civilization. The first expedition returned with reports of a pristine, Edenic landscape; all the members of the second expedition committed suicide; the third expedition died in a hail of gunfire as its members turned on one another; the members of the eleventh expedition returned as shadows of their former selves, and within months of their return, all had died of aggressive cancer.

This is the twelfth expedition.

Their group is made up of four women: an anthropologist; a surveyor; a psychologist, the de facto leader; and our narrator, a biologist. Their mission is to map the terrain and collect specimens; to record all their observations, scientific and otherwise, of their surroundings and of one another; and, above all, to avoid being contaminated by Area X itself.

They arrive expecting the unexpected, and Area X delivers—they discover a massive topographic anomaly and life forms that surpass understanding—but it’s the surprises that came across the border with them, and the secrets the expedition members are keeping from one another, that change everything.

[Jeff is a past Book of the Month Club participant who was kind enough to take time out of his busy schedule to answer our questions - included here because I enjoy his work:

January 29, 2009: Author Jeff Vandermeer Sweeps In – Like A Mini-Hurricane!]

THE SUN WARRIORS (Robert Mills) Paperback, 288 pages.

This captivating combination of science fiction and political satire draws the reader into an alternative present, where the threat of alien life destroying our beloved planet is all too real. It’s raining salt-water in the Sahara desert. In Thailand it’s snowing. All over the world, strange phenomena are beginning to occur and the young Thai climatologist, Dr. Thongchai Pakpoom, concludes that there is only one possible explanation: intervention by extraterrestrial beings. He is soon to be proved correct. Fugitives from the unstable Sagittarius Dwarf Elliptical Galaxy have decided to settle on Mars. In order to make it suitable for their needs, they decide to fire missiles carrying warheads into the sun, which proves to be effective for them but disastrous for Earth. Meanwhile, Thongchai is one of four humans who are ‘collected’ by alien scientists as part of their research. As the national leaders of Earth are unable to reach an agreement with their new neighbours, it’s up to the captives to persuade their abductors to change their policy before it’s too late.

[Political satire. Hmmm. It's all in the execution.]

HER HUSBAND’S HANDS AND OTHER STORIES (Adam-Troy Castro) Paperback, 336 pages

A utopia where the most privileged get to do whatever they want to do with their lives, indulging their slightest whims via the bodies whose wombs they occupy; a soldier’s wife tries to love a husband who is little more than backup memory; a society in which the citizens all make merry for nine remarkable days, and on the tenth get a taste of hell; the last ragged survivors of an expedition to a savage backwater world hunt down an infamous war criminal; a divorcing couple confront their myriad troubles to gain resolution, reason, respect – but not without sacrifice.

[Another familiar name - Adam is also a past Book of the Month club author who took the time to answer our questions. Also included because I enjoyed his past work:

November 15, 2009: Author Adam-Troy Castro Answers Your Questions!]

THE 400lb. GORILLA (DC Farmer) Paperback, 232 pages.

Matt Danmor thinks he’s lucky. Not many people survive a near death accident with nothing more than a bout of amnesia, a touch of clumsiness and the conviction that the technician who did the MRI had grey skin and hooves. Still, it takes time to recover from trauma like that, especially when the girl who was in the accident with you disappears into thin air. Especially when the shrinks keep telling you she’s just a figment of your imagination. So when the girl turns up months later looking ravishing, and wanting to carry on where they left off, Matt’s troubled life starts looking up. But he hasn’t bargained for the baggage that comes with Silvy, like the fact she isn’t really an English language student, or even a girl. Underneath her traffic stopping exterior is something else altogether, something involving raving fanatics bent on human sacrifice, dimensionally challenged baked bean tins, a vulture with a penchant for profanity, and a security agent for the Dept of Fimmigration (that’s Fae immigration for those of you not in the know) called Kylah with the most amazing gold-flecked eyes.

[Sounds crazy. Crazy-good or just crazy? That's for you to decide!]

Start voting! Polls close on Tuesday!

Continuing our Stargate: Atlantis rewatch with... Poisoning the Well!

I offered some insight into this episode a couple of years ago. In the blog entry, I discuss Steve, pro-wraithers, and perhaps the unwieldiest line in Stargate history:

June 10, 2012: Misery! Comic Con! Days of Stargate Past – Atlantis! Poisoning the Well and Underground!

So, what did Akemi think?

Well, right off the bat with the opening scene: “So many humans on these planets. I don’t believe it.” And: “And everyone speak English! And no Asian!”

On Beckett: “He’s so handsome.”

She was impressed with wraith-Steve’s patience in approaching his offered meal: “He was waiting for feeding time politely even though he is super hungry.”

Still, she couldn’t help but notice a certain wistfulness on the part of Sheppard on Steve’s demise: “Maybe Sheppard a little attached to him.”

But then, when he doubled-over and fell to the ground in obvious pain: “Caca?” Probably.

On the bittersweet ending: “Too bad for Scottish guy. Not happy ending. He has such beautiful eyes, don’t you think?”

Overall, a solid episode: “I liked the idea of the underground city. I found pretty smart.”

Our Stargate: Atlantis rewatch takes the long weekend off and resumes on Monday when we watch...Underground!

Mailbag:

Randomness writes: “Do you think team Atlantis ever returned to the planet to check on how things were going there? It seems like a whole new chapter unfolding on that planet what with the suicide pact not being needed, do you think they will progress a bit as a society now?”

Answer: Actually, we did revisit the planet – albeit off-screen – in a later episode. Remember? The one where Zelenka returns to Atlantis covered in warpaint? Come on you, SGA-xperts. Which episode was it?

gforce writes: “Also why, after getting an arrow in the chest, did Keras then have his arm in a sling in the scene after?”

Answer: “Er, strained tendon?”

cantdecidewhichchocoalte writes: “They didnt skip number 36-40 on the map! http://www.cityfood.com/media/WalkingMap_LetterSize.pdf

Answer: Yes, it turns out #36-40 are being offered by Chocolaterie de la Nouvelle France.

Mike A. writes: “What do you want, some sort of medal for trying all those hot chocolates?”

Answer: Are you offering? If so, I gratefully accept.
    sigpic
    The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...2014-surprise/

February 8, 2014

Video: Surprise!

Photos: Joe's mom's special 80th birthday lunch

My mother is celebrating her 80th birthday this weekend and I’m in Montreal for the special occasion. She had no idea I’d be coming and, to ensure word didn’t get out, I kept my travel plans under my hat, not even breathing a word about it on this blog (I mean, face it. A couple of you – I won’t name names – ARE a little blabby). I flew out yesterday morning, spent last night at my sister’s house, and then today I made my surprise appearance.

In the lead up to my visit, my sister and I discussed the best way to spring my surprise appearance. Mom was scheduled to have dim sum with friends and co-workers (Yes! She still goes into the office!) and I figured I would just get there early and be seated at the table when she arrived (Surprise!), but transportation issues quashed that idea. So my sister and I brainstormed alternate scenarios. Here were some of our inspired ideas:

1. I hide in the back seat of my sister’s car while my she picks up my mother for lunch. Once mom gets in the car, I spring up from the backseat: “Surprise!”

2. My sister drives us to mom’s place. She heads inside while I sneak around to the back. At some point, after mom let’s the dogs out, my sis notes: “Hey, who’s that walking off with your dog?” Mom hurries outside to check and: “Surprise!”

3. My sister takes my mother shopping. I sneak into the house. When they return, my sister reports hearing strange noises coming from the garage. My opens the garage door to investigate: “Surprise!”

4. My sister takes my mother shopping. I sneak into the house. Later, my mother comes downstairs to finish the laundry. She opens the dryer – where I’ve been lying in wait. I reach out and clap my hand around her ankle: “Surprise!”

5. My sister takes mom out for a late dinner. I sneak into the house. Sis drops mom off and mom retires to her room – but the light doesn’t work (because I’ve unplugged it!). She prepares to lie down for a good night’s sleep – and discovers someone already lying there! ”Surprise!”

6. [Compliments of Kathode] My sister takes mom out shopping. I sneak into the house. When mom comes home and opens the refrigerator to get a snack, I jump out – Surprise!

All terrific ideas but, in the end, we went with none of the above. Instead, my sister picked up a bunch of birthday flowers and drove to mom’s house. While she headed inside, I phoned – presumably from Vancouver – and wished mom a happy birthday. Then, flowers in hand, I rang the bell. My sister peeked out the window and informed my mother it was a special delivery. And when my mother answered the door...

Good, but I think we should have gone with the dryer gag.

After that, it was off to a special 80th birthday lunch with mom, sis, and about twenty co-workers at Le Cristal Chinois. It was just me and the ladies! And lots of great food!
      sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...nth-club-pick/

February 9, 2014

Photos: Cleaning out a garage full of memories

Today, my mother had me clean out some of the old boxes in the garage – boxes packed full of crap from my early days. Well, mostly crap. But a few gems as well...

Don’t suppose mom also has an equally obsolete computer to read these?

A bag o’ dice! And not just your standard issue run-of-the-mill six sided dice either.

Happy memories of my days on the Enterprise.

A suitcase full of my old writing including the Irwin Allen-esque disaster novel, Hurricane, written when I was twelve. Enjoy the excerpt.

Drawing was never my forte – but clearly not for lack of imagination.

My sexy grade 7 scrapbook. Loni Anderson, of course.

Sexy grade 7 scrapbook, next page. I clearly had a thing for lustrous hair. And…is that Charo?

Elaborate Dungeons & Dragons map. Try finding your way out of this one, adventurers!

My first professional rejection. I didn’t take it too hard. I was only twelve.

Some of my old favorites.

Hey! It’s a copy of the Twin Peaks Gazette!

D&D modules! THESE take me back.

While other second graders were drawing animals and space ships, I was drawing cigars, pipes, and ashtrays. WTF?

Now this is a little more impressive. It’s a spaceship, right? Right?

Ooooh. Lava!

What does the secret SHADOW folder hold? Why, a file codenamed Project Nostradamus. I can’t say more. Very top secret.

Terrible? Come on, he wasn’t that bad!

Signed by the Dark Lord of Sith himself.

Creeped out by clowns? You have good reason!

Proof that time travel is possible? A little something my present self apparently obviously left my past self.

Obviously, I was a big fan of the horror genre.

Not mine, but I include it because it so damn fascinating. The six-banana Friday is a veritable feast!

Homeward bound tomorrow – and we resume our Stargate: Atlantis rewatch with...Underground!

Hey, have you cast your vote yet for our April Book of the Month Club?
        sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...voir-montreal/

February 10, 2014

Photos: Culinary highlights, Ralphie, Fernando, Felix

This morning, it fell on me to dispatch the lobster. Mom was all for simply dropping them in the pot and boiling them alive but I suggested the more humane method: a quick knife thrust through the head. She said okay – and then left me to do deal with it. And when my sister arrived, she was no help either, retreating to the living room while I “handled it”. So I did. And, twenty minutes later, we had lobster and garlic butter for lunch.

And while we’re on the subject of eating, here are some of the culinary highlights of my whirlwind Montreal tour...

And then, at trip’s end, there’s always the emotional goodbye. Not so much with family – after all, they know I’ll be back – but with the dogs who, no doubt, are already missing me terrible...

Not pictured: Roxy and Caramel who were out in the back yard when I left. Clearly, saying good-bye was just too painful.

Okay! I’m off! See you in Vancouver! Don’t forget to watch Underground tonight as our Stargate: Atlantis rewatch continues!

Oh, and please vote for our April Book of the Month Club!
          sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...tch-continues/

February 11, 2014

Photos: April’s Book of the Month Club poll, Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer, Terms of Enlistment by Mark Kloos, Stargate: Atlantis

Every so often, I check out my spam folder for erroneously misdirected reader comments. Last night, amid the 535 quarantined messages, I came across the following:

“Brazil *******s”

“Star ladyboys”

“Big ass *******s”

“Trilby hat sales”

- I find this offensive, embarrassing and downright disturbing. How dare they presume I’d wear a trilby hat!

Hey, the results are in for April’s Book of the Month Club. And the winner is...

We’ll be kicking off our discussion of Jeff VanderMeer’s Annihilation on Monday, April 7th – which should give you all plenty of time to read it.

In the meantime, our March Book of the Month Club reconvenes on Monday, March 3rd with a discussion of Terms of Enlistment by Mark Kloos.

Ladies and gentlemen, start your reading engines!

Our Stargate: Atlantis rewatch continues with...Underground!

Hmmm. It would appear Akemi is fast losing interest in this show. I keep thinking that if we can just make it to the mid-season two-parter, The Storm/The Eye, we should be okay. Those two episodes, in my estimation the high point of SGA’s first season, should revitalize her interest in the series and keep her focused through to the season one finale. Apparently, Carson Beckett’s charming eyes will only get the series so far.

Alas, Underground didn’t rate that highly for her because she had a hard time following what was going on. But once the episode moved past people the various people-sitting-at-tables-talking scenes (about two-thirds of the way through), her interested picked up. Still...

On the story: “Chotto difficult to understand this episode. A little bit complicated. Seems very odd from the beginning.”

On Teyla: “Too much make-up this episode.”

On Teyla informing the Genii that team Atlantis had awakened the wraith: “She is stupid!”

On McKay: “I like arrogant guy!”

And overall: “Surprisingly not so much episodes of the actual Atlantis. I’m looking for more inside of Atlantis.” Crap! She’s beginning to sound like YOU guys!

Meanwhile, I offered my thoughts on the episode back here: June 10, 2012: Misery! Comic Con! Days of Stargate Past – Atlantis! Poisoning the Well and Underground!

So, what’d you all think on second (or more) viewing?
            sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...nues-withhome/

February 12, 2014

Photos: Vancouver Hot Chocolate Festival, Stargate: Atlantis

We’re in the stretch run of our Hot Chocolate marathon!

Round #16...

High Society: Earl Grey drinking chocolate. Served with East Van Roasters’ signature gluten-free brownie and candied orange.

Available at: East Van Roasters, 319 Carrall St, Vancouver, B.C.

East Van Roasters

A great cup of hot chocolate with a pronounced Earl Grey flavor, served with an equally great brownie. One of Akemi’s favorites.

The Black Widow: Uva’s HC-inspired cocktail: reposado tequila influenced with cacao beans and coffee, Cherry Heering liquer, Amaro averna, Bittered Sling plum and rootbeer bitters.

Available at: UVA Wine Bar (and Bittered Sling)

UVA WINE BAR

Wow. A nice depth of flavors but this one was so strong I only managed a few sips.

Verdict: Both respectful entries, but – DAMN – that was strong.

Winner: High Society (East Van Roasters)

Round #17...

Chartreuse Milkshake: Uva’s HC-inspired cocktail: Citadelle gin, green Chartreuse, cacao beans, lime and orange juice, Bittered Sling Malagasy chocolate bitters, egg white.

UVA WINE BAR

Another drink that packed an alcoholic punch. The Chartreuse was front and center. The cacao beans less so.

Black Magic: gBAR flavoured with black sesame and matcha tea. Served with Erin Ireland’s “To Die For” Banana Bread.

Available at: Bella Gelateria, 1001 West Cordova Street.

www.bellagelateria.com

I’ve found that, in my past visits, the flavors of the gelato bars got lost in the hot chocolate so I requested a cup with half the milk. The result was a cup with a more concentrated hot chocolate that actually did a better job of showcasing the individual gelato flavors – in this case, black sesame and matcha.

Verdict: I’m a traditionalist, preferring my hot chocolates hot and chocolatey.

Winner: Black Magic (Bella Gelateria)

Round #18...

Red Hot Chili Pepper: gBAR flavoured with chocolate, cinnamon and cayenne. Served with Erin Ireland’s “To Die For” Banana Bread.

Available at: Bella Gelateria, 1001 West Cordova Street.

www.bellagelateria.com

Again, I had it with half the milk. Pleasantly spicy.

Chocofraiche: A hot drink composed of slow-melted dark chocolate and heavy cream, infused with chili, vanilla bean and cinnamon with a dollop of creme fraiche. Served with zeppoli (Italian doughnuts!)

UVA WINE BAR

A very nice sipping chocolate. This one actually had more punch and a longer linger. The accompanying zeppoli were a letdown – undercooked and doughy.

Verdict: I like my spicy chocolate.

Winner: Chocofraiche (UVA Wine Bar)

Round #19...

Sour Cherry Tisane: Cold mocha rooibos tea, sour cherry and Pedro Ximénez cordial, Bittered Sling orange and juniper bitters. Served with zeppoli (Italian doughnuts!)

UVA WINE BAR

Pleasantly refreshing. A wonderful flavor combo highlighted by the rooibos. One damn fine iced tea.

9 O Clock Gun: An aromatic cedar hot chocolate – perfect for a stroll around Stanley Park. Served with an Elderberry Caramel Bar.

Available at: Soirette Macarons & Tea 1433 West Pender Street, Vancouver. (Coal Harbour)

www.soirette.com

Strange, but not for the reasons advertised. Instead of the expected subtle cedar, I (and my friend Kathy) picked up notes of cheese – blue or roquefort. I inquired and cheese was not one of the ingredients. Hmmmm.

Verdict: I do prefer my hot chocolates hot and chocolatey – but not surprisingly cheesy.

Winner: Sour Cherry Tisane (UVA Wine Bar)

Hera’s Habit: Made from 50% deep milk chocolate with malted milk balls. Served with vanilla bean cinnamon shortbread.

Available: At Cocoa Nymph 3739 W. 10th Ave (at Alma), Vancouver

www.cocoanymph.co

Oh my! You’ll be hard-pressed to find a thicker, richer cup of hot chocolate in this festival. And the slow-melting malt ball at the heart of the cup was a delightful bonus.

Hungers Satisfied: Dark Chocolate with black pepper. Served with a vanilla/maldon salt cookie.

Available at: Beaucoup Bakery 2150 Fir Street (in Kitsilano)

www.beaucoupbakery.com/

Subtle hints of black pepper in a fairly restrained cup. Akemi felt it tasted more like a latte than an actual hot chocolate.

Verdict: Did I mentioned that slow-melting malt ball?

Winner: Hera’s Habit (Cocoa Nymph)

Our Stargate: Atlantis rewatch continues with...Home!

As soon as my name came up on screen alongside the written by credit, Akemi was instantly on guard: “I’m very nervous about you’re episodes because you’re twisted.”

True. And, as expected, she was plenty confused by the episode. But that was the point! The audience is supposed to be confused – until the big reveal at episode’s end. Unfortunately, said big reveal only succeeded in confusing her even more: “Very confusing. Very complicated. Don’t you think so? Were you okay when you wrote the episode? Like person who did marijuana.”

But after I took the time to break it down for her, explaining the mist was sentient and responsible for their hallucinations: “Ah, interesting. Now makes sense! Takes so long. So fog was smart!” Indeed.

Some other insights she offered while watching...

On Weir motoring around in her vintage car: “She is piece of Mrs. Old Fashioned.”

On Sheppard: “He seems to like girls.”

On McKay: “I like his t-shirt, I’m with Genius.” Thank you. ”I like the fact no one left message and he’s eating old chips.”

On the necklace Simon gifts Weir: “She seems to make a lot of money. And he seems to make a lot of money, right? Nice brand necklace is better. Very cheap.”

Overall – in retrospect, she liked it. Interestingly: “I feel like I’m watching SGU this episode. Technical terms a lot.”

My thoughts on this episode in a previous blog entry: June 12, 2012: Pirates! Days of Stargate Past – Atlantis! Home and The Storm! Pick your favorite Stargate mid-season two-parter and WIN!
              sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...storm-mailbag/

February 13, 2014

Photos: Doggy bento box, Bubba, Vancouver Hot Chocolate Festival, Stargate: Atlantis

Hey, check it out! Akemi packed the dogs a snack box today. We dropped them off at doggy daycare so that they could work on their social skills and get some exercise. Lately, they’ve been doing way too much of this -

Winding down the hot chocolate festival…

Round #20...

Big Bad Wolf: A 38% milk chocolate flavoured with a blend of gingerbread spices and steamed milk. Served with a gingerbread cookie.

At: Schokolade, 2263 East Hastings Street, Vancouver

http://www.schokoladecafe.com/

A comforting cup with a flavor reminiscent of Christmas nights – minus the Italian bingo. In addition to the gingerbread cookie, it was accompanied by your choice of four hand-made chocolates. I highly recommend the pistachio!

Bacchus’ Dream: Made from 72% dark chocolate with red wine reduction and apple ginger compote. Served with walnut shortbread (vegan and dairy free).

Available: At Cocoa Nymph, 3739 W. 10th Ave (at Alma), Vancouver

www.cocoanymph.co

As dark and rich as the previous three Cocoa Nymph entries, but this one was my least favorite. Unlike Akemi, I wasn’t a fan of the apple ginger compote.

Verdict: Gingerbread trumps red wine reduction and apple ginger compote.

Winner: Big Bad Wolf (Schokolade)

Winter Comfort: 100% pure hazelnut blended with your choice of milk or dark chocolate. Served with freshly made chocolate-dipped hazelnut biscotti.38% milk chocolate served with four pieces of artisan chocolate.

At: Schokolade 2263 East Hastings Street, Vancouver

http://www.schokoladecafe.com/

Surprisingly bittersweet, but not in an unpleasant way.

Blonde Fatale: Valrhona Dulcey caramelized white chocolate and salted caramel. Served with “Sable Chocolat” (chocolate and sea salt shortbread).

Available: French Made Baking, 81 Kingsway, Vancouver

http://frenchmadebaking.com

Odd. I was expecting more of a caramel kick but this one tasted more like steamed milk, albeit buttery steamed milk.

Verdict: Again, I always lean toward the more flavorful hot chocolate.

Winner: Winter Comfort (Schokolade)

Continuing our Stargate: Atlantis rewatch with...The Storm!

Ah, now this is more like it. After a patchy start, Stargate: Atlantis really hits its stride with this mid-season two-parter. I loved this episode. Then again, who cares what I think. What was Akemi’s take on The Storm?

Well, she liked it. But, surprisingly (bewilderingly?) not as much as the preceding episode, Home. Apparently, she prefers twists and turns over action and suspense. Nevertheless, she did enjoy the episode – and had plenty to say…

On Lord Smeedon’s initial reluctance to offer the Atlantis personnel refuge from the storm: “People not helpful. Not like Japanese.”

She took an instant liking to Zelenka: “He looks like scientist. Looks more scientist than actor!”‘

She questioned why the hell the (really) drunk Athosian had a GDO, insisting that it should have been in the hands of the military or, at the very least, a civilian from Earth.

A low opinion of the Atlantis military personnel when compared to the SGU marines, especially after Kolya and co. take the gate room: “SGU army guys – handsome guy and Jamil – very strong. Army here just stand around and talk about bacon and get shot and killed. Army in Universe is better quality.”

She demonstrated impatience with the straggling Athosians who grounded the jumper on the mainland: “I didn’t like the fact that the three of them are very late. When people say I’m leaving five minutes from now you have to be on the ship four minutes from now.”

And sympathy for McKay: “I’m so sad the fact McKay was hurt.”

Agree? Disagree? What were your thoughts on The Storm?

Mailbag:

Mike A. writes: “For next year’s Hot Chocolate festival(provided you’re still in Vancouver and not in LA or some other town running a new show), how about developing a tournament bracket structure to find the ultimate hot chocolate?”

Answer: Would love to. Theoretically. Hell, I could sample a couple of the off-menu hot chocolates and make it a legit 64 contender bracket. However, given the fact I only managed a little over two-thirds of the hot chocolates this year, I’m not at all sure I’d be able to sample all 64 flavors – much less sample them again in second, third, and fourth round match-ups.

alan writes: “Did you get free DVD retail sets of the 3 series you co-produced/wrote by SciFi or MGM once it came out, or did you have to buy the 3 series at the retail store on your own dime?”

Answer: I received DVD’s of all three shows (SG-1, Atlantis, and Universe) – with the exception of the second season of SGU because, by the time the DVD’s were released, production had wrapped and we had moved on.

Line Noise writes: “Joe, how much of the differences were scripted and how much were the decision of the director?”

Answer: All of the visual cues were scripted, from Weir stepping through the gate alone to the wardrobe changes to the appearing/disappearing necklace.

michaelsgal writes: “What would be the odds of this turning into a book at the very least?”

Answer: Ideally, the adventures of SG-1, the Atlantis expedition, and the Destiny crew could continue in comic book format (because, quite honestly, I don’t think anyone creatively connected to any of the shows is interested in writing books). As I always said, it’s up to MGM – but I suspect they’re more interested in wiping the slate clean and going with a big screen reboot.

gforce writes: “Did you guys write all the technical stuff that Rodney was talking about regarding the gate dialling?”

Answer: Yes. With a little help from our resident gate expert, Brad Wright.

arctic goddess writes: “Teyla shows Sheppard that the Athosians had command of fire by using a device that sends energy over a distance to light a candle. That lighter was advanced beyond what the expedition have. If it was an Ancient device, how did she activate it without the gene? Why was it the only advanced item they seemed to have? Why was it only seen once in the series? Every action in a script is supposed to move the story forward. How did the advanced lighter move the story forward?”

Answer: Well, somebody has been taking creative courses . The advanced lighter “moved the story forward” by demonstrating that, despite appearances, the Athosians were capable – and a little more advanced than one would assume. It wasn’t an Ancient device.

arctic goddess writes: “As a Consulting Producer in Underground, what were your and Paul’s specific duties?”

Answer: As consulting producers, we helped spin and break stories, provided notes on outlines, drafts, and the various cuts of the episode. We also offered support/input (“Weir should wear the blue shawl!”) during prep.

SGW1 writes: “Hmm, why didn’t the Atlantis team ever threaten the Genii to tell everyone the truth about them?”

Answer: They don’t roll that way. Somewhere down the line, they would have to work with the Genii against the wraith and it made no sense to antagonize them any further or bully them into giving up their dated tech and bombs.
                sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...s-withthe-eye/

February 14, 2014

Photos: Vancouver Hot Chocolate Festival, Stargate: Atlantis

Alas, it was a herculean task and despite my best efforts, I came up short. In the end, I sampled only 47 of the some 60 varieties of hot chocolate offered for this year’s Hot Chocolate Festival. Still, 47 hot chocolates in 24 days aint bad, especially considering I took those four days off to visit mom in Montreal. This year, I doubled last year’s score. And, next year, I vow to do even better!

So, what were the standouts? Well, what follows is my list of the Top 5 Hot Chocolates of this year’s Hot Chocolate Festival!

When all was said and done, six hot chocolates actually made by top 5 list. After much consideration, I decided to offer a Top 5 +1 for good luck!

Honorable mention goes to...

A Snowball’s Chance in Hell: Single origin Mexican chocolate with Mexican chili poured over house made chocolate ice cream. Accompanied by a flourless chocolate cookie.

Available at: Chocolate Arts 1620 West 3rd Ave., Vancouver (Kitsilano).

http://www.chocolatearts.com/

#5...

Phaun’s Fancy: Made from 64% dark chocolate with parmesan and fresh nutmeg. Served with a side of Umami No. 5 fudge

www.cocoanymph.com

#4..

Banana Split: Made from 36% Valrhona Caramelia chocolate and topped with walnut marshmallows. Served with banana pound cake.

Available at: Bel Cafe, 801 West Georgia Street @ Howe (at the Rosewood Hotel Georgia)

http://www.belcafe.com/

#3...

Trio of Chocolate: The base of this hot chocolate is 66% Mokaya chocolate by Michel Cluizel. Served with a disk of 45% Kayambe milk chocolate and white chocolate ice cream.

Available at: Thierry Chocolaterie Patisserie Cafe 1059 Alberni Street

http://www.thierrychocolates.com/

#2...

Hera’s Habit: Made from 50% deep milk chocolate with malted milk balls. Served with vanilla bean cinnamon shortbread.

www.cocoanymph.co

#1...

Paula Dean White Trash Trainwreck: A 70% dark chocolate ganache with condensed milk, salted kettle chips, and vanilla whipped cream. Served with a 72% dark chocolate wafer.

Available at: Mink Chocolates, 863 West Hastings St., Vancouver. On the park (cross street, Hornby.)

mink.chocolates

Congratulations to all the winners. I’m hoping I’ll get to see you again soon. REAL soon.

Continuing Stargate: Atlantis rewatch with...The Eye!

Ah, now this is more like it! Akemi was on the edge of her seat (or, actually, her side of the bed) throughout this episode. She loved it. Action! Suspense! Humor! And, best of all, those dazzling visual effects! She was blown away by the the sequence of Atlantis shielding itself within seconds of the giant wave crashing down on the city (“Always very last minute your show!”) and also had high praise for the Teyla-Sora showdown (compliments of our former SGA stunt coordinator James Bam Bam Bamford). She continues to enjoy McKay, greatly appreciated seeing her favorite Dr. Beckett, and is even warming up to Sheppard. She had one big bump = McKay dressing his arm wound OVER his sleeve.

Overall: “I liked it a lot. I’m getting used to this city. At first I thought not as good as SGU’s ship but now pretty cool.” And then: “I’m beginning to like SGA too!”

A couple of years ago, I offered some thoughts on this episode (and the next one) in one of my Trip Down Memory Lane entries:

June 13, 2012: Dark Matter at Comic Con! Save Lennox the dog! Days of Stargate Past, Atlantis! The Eye and The Defiant One! Vote on our favorite Stargate mid-season two-parter for a chance to win!
                  sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...e-defiant-one/

February 15, 2014

Video: Joe eating oatmeal

Photo: Stargate: Atlantis

When I informed her that one of my friends had been feeling a little down lately, Akemi’s response was: “Maybe she misses you.”. Well, yes, I suppose that’s a possibility – but I kind of doubted it. She doesn’t seem like the “miss you” type. Akemi, however, would not be dissuaded from her theory. ”You always cheer me up,”she insisted. And: “It makes me happy to see you eat oatmeal.”

Eat oatmeal? Really? Hunh. I guess so. In retrospect, yeah, I can see how the sight of me eating right, enjoying a nice healthy breakfast, could fill someone with joy.

And then I reflected on this blog and its many readers, any of who, on any given day, could be feeling a little down themselves. What could I do to help lift their spirits?

Well, the answer is obvious. If you’re bummed – or simply want to file this away for future perusal when you’re feeling a little blue – here is me eating oatmeal. Enjoy.

Continuing our Stargate: Atlantis rewatch with...The Defiant One!

Another solid episode following the spectacular mid-season two-parter. Sure, the bugs were a little silly, but this one had plenty of suspense, that trademark Stargate humor, and dose of the classic western, culminating in an explosive finish. Savor this one, folks, because we have the Hot Zone and Sanctuary to look forward to next.

So, what did Akemi think of The Defiant One?

The moment the team approached the down wraith ship she remarked on the guest stars: “Those two will die. Not important actors.” And, when they did: “See?”

When the wraith makes his first appearance: “Wow. Dirty hair. Need shampoo.” An unfair critique. The poor guy has been without a proper conditioner for some ten thousand years.

After Sheppard does this weird lip-licking move as he prepares to face off against the wraith: “His tongue. So gross.”

Overall, not as enjoyable for her as The Eye (she found it “too scary” at times) but she did enjoy: “The energy bugs and the black angry birds bomb.” Whatever that means.

So, what’d you all think of The Defiant One?
                    sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...ch-undergound/

February 16, 2014

Photos: Books, Stargate: Atlantis

In my bid to beat 2013?s paltry 70-something “books read” total, I’ve re-established this blog’s Book of the Month Club and redoubled my own reading efforts. Now I’m sure that, next to reading a good book, there’s nothing many of you bibliophiles appreciate more than a good recommendation. A nd so, in keeping with yet another tradition, I’m going to offer a monthly round-up of the books I’ve read accompanied by mini capsule reviews (or simply thoughts, let’s call them thoughts) for those of you seeking a little literary direction.

My January reads, eleven in all...

RED COUNTRY - Joe Abercrombie

Joe Abercrombie has distinguished himself in a fairly crowded field, delivering gritty, visceral, yet darkly humorous tales that fly in the face of established high fantasy conventions. His world-building is as unique and richly textured as the colorful characters who battle and banter their way through his stories, and I list him among my very favorite authors. Period. Beginning with his first book, The Blade Itself, and continuing through five subsequent novels, I can honestly say “I’ve never read an Abercrombie book I haven’t loved.”. Red Country is his latest and Joe at his consistent best, a story about a young girl, Shy South, who sets off to rescue her younger siblings from a group of murderous outlaws. She is aided in her quest by Lamb, her (seemingly) spineless soft-spoken stepfather, and the unlikeliest of allies in a group of risk-averse mercenaries. A hell of a lot of fun.

PERFECT - Rachel Joyce

An accident changes the lives of a young boy and his mother, setting off a bewildering, tragic chain of events. The story unfolds in the past and present: 1972, in the immediate aftermath of the triggering incident, and decades later following its destructive repercussions. The protagonists of the twin narratives are engaging and the premise is interesting, but the secondary characters are weak: the distant husband and father, the low class opportunist, the shallow fellow wives. James, the childhood friend, offers a suggestion of intrigue that is hinted at but never fully realized.Perhaps more frustrating are the two female main characters who, while possessed of great depth, demonstrate behavior that leave the reader questioning their motivations. There’s the mother who is so affected by an unfortunate turn of events that she completely loses all sense of logic. And then there’s the woman who befriends a co-worker with mental issues and, mysteriously, falls in love with him. I say “mysteriously” because, despite the development’s effectiveness in pushing the story toward a satisfying emotional resolve, I simply didn’t buy it. In both cases, despite the great writing, there’s a disconnect between the set up and pay off. Equally detached are the twin narratives that, while linked, don’t ultimately dovetail in satisfactory fashion.

THE OCEAN AT THE END OF THE LANE - Neil Gaiman

“Write what you know,”they say, and while Neil Gaiman may not actually know magic and monsters and otherworldly spirits, you’d be forgiven for suspecting otherwise. His stories are fiercely creative and, at time same time, underpinned with an elegiac beauty that resonates with readers. Here, its the power of memories and the force of nostalgia that drive the narrative as our unnamed protagonist revisits his hometown, rediscovering long-forgotten secrets and friendship. While it may lack the depth and dark complexity of Gaiman’s other works (Sandman and American Gods come readily to mind), this short novel is no less stirring.

TENTH OF DECEMBER - George Saunders

A diverse selection of short stories ranging from soberly subversive to wickedly weird. There’s no denying Saunders’ talent or his ability to craft stories that engender a powerful reader response, in my case ranging from mild irritation to utter delight. One of my favorite entries is “The Semplica Girl Diaries” which focuses on a middle-class father’s attempts to keep up with his wealthier neighbors by gifting his young daughter a group of living human lawn ornaments for her birthday. The narrative unfolds in darkly humorous – and horrifying – fashion, its bizarre developments a pointed critique of consumerism and third world labor. Other stories prove equally clever and elegantly acerbic. ”Escape from Spiderhead” offers a glimpse at a savage and deadly but efficiently-run pharmaceutical experiment. In “Sticks”, a boy charts his father’s emotional descent through the decorative evolution of the very special pole standing in their front yard. ”Al Roosten”, meanwhile, is a modern day Walter Mitty leached by despair. Provocative.

SNOWBLIND - Christopher Golden

In man ways reminiscent of Stephen King’s small town horror, this novel pales in comparison. Whereas King’s characters transcend their literary commonalities, the characters in Snowblind don’t really offer much beyond their simple introductions, ultimately undone by predictable developments and stock dialogue. It’s a great, creepy set-up that, like a lot of horror, fails to follow-through on its effective start. The ominous threat become decidedly less frightening as the story moves along, hampered by some confusing rules surrounding the abilities and motivations of the snow entities’ former victims. More frosty than chilling.

THE REPUBLIC OF THIEVES - Scott Lynch

Scott Lynch’s The Lies of Locke Lamorra ranks among my Top 5 All-Time Fantasy Reads so I was greatly looking forward to this book, the third in the series. Events pick up where they left off in Red Seas Under Red Skies, with Locke poisoned and near death. His best friend and partner in crime, Jean, must find a way to save his life – but the solution will involve a sketchy deal, political intrigue, and a surprising someone from our hero’s past. The narrative shifts back and forth between two timelines, the first involving Locke and Jean’s efforts to rig a local election, the second a flashback to a younger Locke and his relationship with fellow rogue, Sabetha. Each book in the series is distinct, this latest entry surprisingly somber in comparison to the light-hearted tone of the first. On the one hand, a little more straight-forward and less “fun” than the previous instalments; on the other hand, certainly more nuanced in its exploration of our protagonist and his complicated love life.

THE SANDMAN OMNIBUS, volume 1 - Neil Gaiman

At some 1040 pages long, this massive hardcover tome is just the first half of Neil Gaiman’s award-winning opus which tells the story (stories) of Dream, the rulers of Dreams. It has the feel of a musical score,the narrative lulling and swelling, rising and falling, building to crescendos and then quietly fading. The tales are diverse but equally inspired. In one, Dream travels to Hell to free a long-abandoned love only to find the place shuttered as Lucifer closes up shop. In another, we discover the true origins of Shakespeare’s Midsummer Night’s Dream. An enormous creative accomplishment.

THE EXPLORER - James Smythe

What starts off as a grounded, impressive SF tale takes an interesting time-travel twist – but then is undone by irritating implausibilities that stand out in contrast to a hitherto engaging and believable narrative. As a reader, I can accept the fictional parameters set down by the book – the near future space journey, even the rules of the time travel itself – but I have to draw the line when forced to accept the fact that a future version of our hero is able to make his way through the small ship, hiding within its walls, completely unnoticed by the rest of the crew.

ANCILLARY JUSTICE - Anne Leckie

The mysterious Breq is much more (and less!) than she appears. Once a military starship possessed of Artificial Intelligence, she now exists as merely one of the thousands of former ancillaries (a.k.a. corpse soldiers) that existed as extensions of her former self. Reduced to a single fragile human body, fueled by the memories of her powerful past, she sets out on a seemingly impossible mission of vengeance. Sound cool? Well, it is. And smart. I haven’t read an SF novel this engrossing in quite a while. And, for this very reason, I haven’t been so frustrated by an ending in even longer. Admittedly, Breq’s “plan” isn’t much of one and the fact that this book is the first in a series should have prepared me, but I found the conclusion highly unsatisfying nevertheless.

GOD HATES ASTRONAUTS - Ryan Brown

“I don’t want to oversell what Ryan has accomplished here, but I gave God Hates Astronauts to a blind man and he regained his sight.” - Jonathan Hickman (The Avengers, Fantastic Four, The Manhattan Projects)

Okay, it may not cure blindness but this book will definitely cure boredom – and re-energize jaded comic book readers. Without a doubt, the most outrageous graphic novel I’ve ever read, God Hates Astronauts focuses on the adventures of The Power Persons Five who, under orders from NASA, are tasked with keeping farmers from firing their home made rockets into space. And then it gets really weird. I mean REALLY. Crazy, at times laugh out loud funny.

WORK DONE FOR HIRE - Joe Haldeman

Following an enormous stage weight in which we are introduced to a writer working on the novelization of an upcoming movie, alternating between his life and the cheesy book he is writing, the story actually begins – approximately 100 pages into this novel – when the writer receives a rifle and some mysterious instructions. What follows is a conspiracy-laden (or “leaden”) adventure as our hero tries to figure out what is going on and who is pulling the strings. The answer is both underwhelming and ridiculous.

P.S. To everyone wondering about the orange oatmeal – it’s papaya.

Let’s continue our Stargate: Atlantis rewatch with...Hot Zone!

Upon watching this again after so many years, I still find the Weir-Sheppard confrontation bizarre – but enjoyed the episode much more as a whole. Akemi, for her part, was much less enthusiastic because she had trouble following the last half. Nanites and EMP’s are about as familiar to her as natto and the songs of AKB48 are to me and so, despite multiple attempted explanations, she still didn’t know what the hell was going on. ”Very difficult episode, have to say,”she told me as those end credits rolled.

As always, she had nice things to say about Rodney McKay: “He’s not just geek. He’s super geek!”

But continues to have somewhat more conflicted feelings when it comes to Sheppard (“Why his name is Sheppard? Like dog?”). She found him arrogant and annoying in his clash with Weir, who turned out to be right by the way, and his 11th hour solution didn’t redeem him in her eyes. Ultimately, her problem with the character stems from his role as dashing hero. In her words: “He is ideal main character. Too perfect.” As opposed to: “Eli more humanish.”

So, what do you all think? Is Sheppard too perfectly heroic? What did you think of Hot Zone? Chime in!
                      sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...ouchsanctuary/

February 17, 2014

Photos: Weird weather, Stargate: Atlantis

That’s some weird weather we’ve been getting.

Oof! The Very Best Descriptions of Self-Published Books

This is why I rarely go to the movies anymore: no sense at all. Also this: at the end of The Dark Knight Rises. And this: 6 Movie Plot Holes You Never Noticed Thanks to Editing | Cracked …. Oh, and this: 5 Movie Plot Holes You Didn’t Notice Due to Editing (Pt. 2) Viral

First honey and now this. Sad news. Sad, sad clown news: America suffering clown shortage as membership in trade organizations dwindles…

Crystal Head Vodka Forensic Facial Reconstruction

Continuing our Stargate: Atlantis rewatch with...and apologies for making you sit through it again...Sanctuary!

Yeeaaarrgh! I expressed my thoughts on this episode a couple of years back, but they bear repeating:

“My least favorite episode of the show’s five year run, probably the franchise’s seventeen season run. The story plods along at an unnervingly leisurely pace and the characters act – well – surprisingly out of character. Gone is the adorably curmudgeony McKay we’ve grown to know over the first half of the season, replaced by a miserable, humorless imposter. Our charming anti-hero, Sheppard, meanwhile, is transformed into a lovestruck schoolboy, picnicking on Atlantis and making the moves on a woman he barely knows. And when McKay calls him on it, Sheppard responds by almost throwing down with him. Dude, this is Rodney. Remember Rodney? The guy who saved your life two episodes back? The bulk of the episode is dedicated to entertaining the mysterious Chaya while McKay attempts to figure her out. Eventually, he learns the truth in a reveal that is at once strange and underwhelming. ”Yep, I’m an Ancient.” (Cue shoulder shrug). ”Let’s have cosmic intercourse.”

The episode is bookended by action sequences that, while exciting, don’t really make a whole lot of sense upon closer scrutiny. Why was the jumper attacked by darts in the opening? There was mention of a possible hive ship nearby but we never see it. And why is the planet attacked again at the end? Is it merely an enormous coincidence that the wraith just happened upon Proculus during the events of this episode (and while Chaya was away?)? Or have the wraith been demonstrating staggering patience by staking out the planet for generations, just waiting for an opportunity to strike?”

Also, is Sheppard so damn irresistible that this Ancient will fall in love with him over the course of an afternoon conversation? I’m sure many of you Sheppard fans will say “For sure!”, but really?

Akemi found this episode altogether bizarre: “Something like soap opera happening.”

But the first ten minutes were dedicated to a discussion of Teyla’s changing hairstyle. It went from long and curly to long and straight over the course of the half season and, for some reason, this bothered Akemi.

On their arrival on the forested planet: “Why every planet look like Vancouver?”

When Sheppard heads off on his romantic evening foray: “WTF? Night picnic?”

And, disappointment as Sheppard woos our guest star: “But I thought Teyla and Sheppard going to love-oo love-oo.”

Still, the episode did have a highlight: “I liked the fact McKay was very smart, very suspicious.”

All in all: “Kind of weird episode.”

So, how did you all enjoy like experience this episode second time around?
                        sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...nues-withoops/

February 18, 2014

Videos: A Conference Call in Real Life, Anpanman punch

Photos: Stargate: Atlantis, drawing

This morning, I took part in my very first Skype conference. It was not without its problems. For some reason, my writing partner’s webcam wasn’t working properly and, as a result, he appeared as a faceless avatar for the call’s duration. It was a little unsettling, like I was chatting with that Anonymous guy. Everyone else’s webcams worked just fine – until about halfway through the call when I lost their video feeds and all the nodding, inquisitive faces were replaced by unnervingly silent, stoic avatars. At one point, I yammered on for so long that I had to stop and ask if they were still there. Thankfully, they were. My writing partner’s audio, meanwhile, kept dropping out at the most inopportune moments. I swear to you, in one instant he actually said: “But the most important thing is…brzzzgrdsdjktosvbxfzzlslasrzzbreekdtlbrzzz… Anyway…”.

Sure, it was frustrating at times but, at the end of the day, preferable to the alternative:

[P.S. - That guy with the dog? That's me.]

Anyway, it’s a terrific project and I’m hoping today’s call put us through to the semi-finals. Technical issues aside, it went very well. Or at least, I assume it did since I couldn’t gauge any reactions. I also assume the video feed cutting out was an accident. Hmmmm.

Received some preliminary notes on my Southern Gothic pilot from southerner Jeff and will await another set of notes before proceeding to the final polish. After that, it’s off to my agent and smooooooth sailing!

And, for those of you asking (well, one of you anyway) about our A.K.A. project that was announced as “in development” (here: http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/1290...in-development) – we delivered a series overview, polish of the pilot, and a revised draft of the second episode script a couple of couple of weeks ago and now await the good news.

Or what I assume will be good news. In March.

Who’s in a celebrating mood?

Our Stargate: Atlantis rewatch continues with...well, we’re supposed to be watching Before I Sleep but we accidentally skipped and watched The Brotherhood instead. Sorry about that.

Well, damn. I quite enjoyed this episode on second viewing. Plenty of suspense, clever puzzles, McKay almost gets the girl for a change, and Kolya at his dashingly diabolical best.

Akemi liked it well enough as well and – in what’s become a running pattern – expressed great admiration for Mckay’s smarts. And Beckett’s eyes.

In addition...

When the two monks rush outside and get nabbed by the wraith: “Why go outside? So stupid!” True.

She was very defensive of her boy McKay when Jana seemed to lose interest in him after finding out he was originally from Earth: “Why she didn’t like McKay after finding out he’s not from Atlantis? Prejudice!”

Akemi also demonstrated an unnerving bloodthirsty streak in her reaction to Sheppard’s decision NOT to kill Kolya: “I didn’t like the fact Sheppard didn’t kill the bad guy. He caused so much trouble.” I pointed out that Sheppard is a good guy, a good guys don’t shoot unarmed people in cold blood. But she wasn’t buying it and proceeded to offer up a reference to the cartoon series Anpanman to bolster her argument: “Baikinman steal the bento box from hippopolice and Anpanman so angry he punched him and Baikinman went very far and crash into mountain.” And then, in summary: “So if you do something bad thing then you have to do revenge.”

P.S. Akemi wants me to let you know that her comments may give the wrong impression of Anpanman. It is, in fact, a very peaceful show.

Today’s entry is dedicated to blog regular (and budding young artist) Bethany Boo and her grandma. Get well soon!
                          sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...efore-i-sleep/

February 19, 2014

Photos: Avocado-edamame cakes, Stargate: Atlantis

I eat my vegetables. Honest, I do. The only problem is they’re always the same half dozen prepared one of three different ways. I suspect I’d eat – and enjoy them – a hell of a lot more if I could add some new, and more importantly TASTY, recipes to my repertoire. Something like cheesy cauliflower sliders or garlic-roasted cabbage steaks or these -

Avocado-edamame cakes inspired by a recent episode of Iron Chef America. I say inspired because the show never offers exact recipes and I couldn’t find one online so we winged it – with mighty fine results.

Your mission, dear readers, if you choose to accept it, is to post your favorite, can’t-miss, veggie recipe. I’m not looking to replace my meaty main course with an equally great vegetarian option (because I honestly don’t believe it’s even possible). I’m just looking for a terrific side dish.

This little gem from Akemi earlier today. We were watching the news when the station cut to footage of police officers brutally manhandling demonstrators in Russia. ”What’s going on?”asked Akemi in wide-eyed shock.

“It’s a demonstration,”I said.

“Demonstration of what?”she asked in bewildered seriousness. ”How to kick people?”

Continuing our Stargate: Atlantis rewatch with...Before I Sleep!

As soon as she heard the words “time travel”, Akemi’s response was a swift: “Oh, no.” But this episode didn’t turn out to be the brain strainer she originally feared. “Not as complicated as I first thought!”she said after the final fade. All thanks to writer Carl Binder’s ability to present the time travel and flashback elements in a concise, straightforward manner. Either that or temporal displacement has become old hat to her.

Always, at the end of every episode, I ask Akemi the same two questions: “What did you like?” and “What didn’t you like?”. In this particular case...

Highpoint: “I’m amazed by old people make-up. And that she had grandma eyes.”

Lowpoint: “Weird birthday present.” I suppose Sheppard could have done better than Athosian pottery.

And in response to whether or not she liked this episode: “Mmmm. Sure. So nothing really happened.” Well, yes. But, I suppose, no.

So what did you all think of Before I Sleep?
                            sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...-from-pegasus/

February 20, 2014

Video: The Guardians of the Galaxy trailer

Photos: Fried Greenish Tomatoes, Stargate: Atlantis

Okay. Weigh in with your opinions on the following...

The Guardians of the Galaxy trailer:

On the one hand, I’m thinking the visual effects will probably be great. On the other hand, the gags in this trailer feel mighty stale.

Now this sounds interesting: Company to Launch Tiny Satellites That ‘Bypass’ Internet Censorship... Why do I have a feeling certain authorities, working in conjunction with big service providers, will come up with some suspect reason to deep-six this?

A couple of weeks ago, I mentioned the story of an elderly couple in Tennessee whose dog was allegedly stolen by Penny Jekot, the director of a local animal rescue. Well, having gotten nowhere with Ms. Jekot, the couple has finally decided to sue to get their dog back...

http://fox17.com/news/features/top-s...l#.UwbSRv3Iq_E

Considering Ms. Jekot admitted to a reporter that she had the Haddix’s sign “a blank sheet of paper”, considering that a perfectly legal transfer of ownership, AND told a local animal welfare rep that she “decided the Haddix’s were elderly and did not need the dog” I don’t see how she expects to win this.

Of course, I was also surprised that the local authorities didn’t consider this a case of property theft. What gives? Are dogs not considered something as basic as property in Tennessee? Anyone care to enlighten me?

Thanks to everyone who took the time to post their favorite veggie recipes. I feel healthier already! Check out tonight’s side dish..

Inspired by JeffW.’s recipe for fried green tomatoes, Akemi and I made this version – which is a twist on a recipe by Montreal chef Chuck Hughes. Unable to find any green tomatoes, we decided to go with the kumatos as a affair comprise because their brownish hue was closer to green than their red counterparts. As per Jeff’s instructions, we first dipped them in milk, then covered them in cornmeal – although I did have a batch with Italian breadcrumbs. We fried them up in peanut oil, then topped them with clotted cream, crisp prosciutto, and chopped green onions.

Verdict: Delicious! Not quite as delicious as the pork and duck rillette it accompanied, but still pretty damn good.

Our Stargate: Atlantis rewatch continues with...Letters from Pegasus!

I offered my thoughts on this episode back when I was doing my Trip Down Memory Lane entries: June 16, 2012: An early start to the day! Days of Stargate Atlantis Past! Letters from Pegasus! The Gift!

As for Akemi – she liked it well enough, but it was no Before I Sleep in her books. Still: “Good episode.”

Next to the visual effects, her highlights are always the show’s more humorous moments. In this case: Beckett’s message to his mother, Zelenka’s impassioned description of the city rising up out of the water, McKay’s long-winded entry. Regarding the latter, she had immense respect for actor David Hewlett’s memory skills: “I’m amazed he can remember such long lines!”

Low points were the extended wraith attack (“I didn’t like so many wraith attacking and taking so long.”) and Sheppard’s impromptu intel-gathering op (“Sheppard went to find out what it was and didn’t find out.”)

Which brought up the BIG question of the episode: “What was the big light from the sky?”

Stay tuned to find out!

Or, maybe not.

So, what did you all think of Letters from Pegasus?
                              sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...-withthe-gift/

February 21, 2014

Photos: Olympic scandals, Stargate: Atlantis

In honor of the bull**** that is The Olympics, I give you my Top 10 Olympic Scandals!

Despite holding a lead heading into her final skate and delivering what many termed a flawless performance, and despite the fact that Russian Adelina Sotnikova reportedly “stepped out” after landing a triple combination, Yuna Kim had to settle for the silver medal. The Russian, of course, won the gold. Among the anonymous judges was one who was suspended for a year for trying to fix an event at the 1998 Nagano Winter Olympics, while another is married to the head of the Russian Figure Skating Federation. Outraged viewers have started an online petition calling for the IOC to open an investigation into the suspect judging: - change.org urging that the judging be investigated. - which is presently inching toward 2 million signatures. Still, this is the IOC we’re talking about. Good luck with that.

The Olympics has a rich history of really suspicious judging. Take the case of the bantam weight bout pitting Japan’s Satoshi Shimizu against Azerbaijan’s Magomed Abdulhamidov at the 2012 Summer Olympics. The Azerbaijani boxer was knocked to the canvas not once, not twice, not three times, not four times, but FIVE TIMES in the third and final round – AND STILL WON THE ROUND! And the bout. Sure seemed fishy, especially after THIS BBC report: Azerbaijan had paid millions of dollars in an international boxing organization. Perhaps even more surprising than the initial result was the fact that the Japan lodged an appeal – and won. And the judges were punished. Ha ha. Just kidding about that last part.

At the same 2012 Summer Olympics, Chinese boxer Zou Shiming had to endure the boos of the crowd after winning a highly controversial bout against Kaeo Pongprayoon of Thailand. Everyone in attendance thought the Thai boxer should have won – and he would have if he hadn’t been given a two point penalty for some mystery infraction with 9 seconds left to go in the match.

Everybody makes mistakes. Sometimes two. Even three. But when you’re judging a gold medal olympic event, six is apparently a bit much. Such was the case at the 2004 Summer Olympics. With the gold medal in fencing at stake, Hungarian referee Joszef Hidasi made six scoring errors decisions in favor of Italy. How egregious were his errors? So bad that he was replaced at the end of the match. Too little too late though for the Chinese who ended up losing by 45-42.

This one was painful to watch. With a one point lead over her German adversary with less than a second to go in her gold medal match, South Korean fencer Shin Lam was certain to emerge victorious. Unfortunately for her, the clock “stuck”, giving her opponent some extra time, time she put to good use by scoring a touch and snatching victory from the jaws of, well, somebody else’s victory. It was clearly a clock issue and, while the officials talked it over, viewers were treated to an inconsolable Shin Lam seated on the mat, in tears, as she awaited a decision. It finally came, one hour later but, with the extra time, officials were able to make the right decision and reversed the call, awarding the gold medal to the rightful win — Aaaah, just kidding. They screwed her over and gave the German the gold.

At the 1988 Summer Olympics in Seoul, American boxer Roy Jones Jr was on the receiving end of some suspect judging when he lost a decision to South Korean Park Si-Hun in their middleweight gold medal bout, this despite landing 86 punches to Park’s 32. After the match, one of the judges admitted he voted for Park Si-Hun because he assumed Jones had the win in the bag and simply wanted it to look close for the home crowd. Despite investigating and discovering that three of the judges were wined and dined by Korean officials prior to the bout, the decision was allowed to stand.

Allegations of bribery dogged the IOC in connection with the awarding of the 2002 Winter Olympics to Salt Lake City. With several investigations underway, the Department of Justice also got involved. Heads rolled. The members of the IOC were expelled and another ten were sanctioned. By the way, the investigations discovered that the Salt Lake City bribery scandal was not an isolated incident.

Down 49-48 in their gold medal game against the Soviet Union, the USA Olympic basketball team sunk two clutch free throws (the second going in despite the sounding of the game-ending buzzer). The Soviets inbounded the ball to half-court when – they are awarded a time out. Sort of. The Soviet coaches were arguing they’d called a time out earlier. According to international rules, they could not be awarded the time out – but the officials stopped play anyway. Three seconds were put back on the clock. The Soviets inbounded. They put up a shot. And missed! The game was over! Nope. Apparently, the clock hadn’t been properly reset so the Soviets received yet another chance. And scored. Third times the charm I guess. Apparently, team USA’s silver medals still lie unclaimed.

At the 1998 Winter Olympics in Nagano, one judge recorded another trying to fix the results. For some reason, no one was in a hurry to change the dodgy judging system...until four years later when yet another scandal forced their hand...

Two gold medals were awarded in pairs figure skating at the 2002 Winter Olympics, one to the Russians who were the original winners, and another to the second place Canadians after allegations surfaced that the results had been fixed. A French judge claimed she had been pressured to give the Russians higher marks and then, once the scandal heated up, retracted her initial statements.

Continuing our Stargate: Atlantis rewatch with...The Gift!

My past thoughts on this episode (and the last one) here: June 16, 2012: An early start to the day! Days of Stargate Atlantis Past! Letters from Pegasus! The Gift!

“Dream! Double dream!” This episode got off to a good start. Immediately folllowing the tease: “So far, so good.”

And, despite the many talky scenes dealing with some extensive backstory, most of which went over her head, Akemi enjoyed the episode. She was on the edge of her seat for the hypnotism sequence and did like the new resident psychiatrist, Dr. Heightmeyer (“Oh, beautiful!”).

On the other hand, Ford is fast falling out of favor: “Are you sure he’s military? So casual.” This a reference to the scene where Teyla shockingly disappears beyond the seemingly firm wall. As panic sets in, McKay suggests he take a running start. A concerned Sheppard reacts. Cut to: McKay and Ford, McKay equally concerned, Ford sporting a goofy ear to ear grin.

And regarding the Atlantis military personnel in general: “SGA’s army is a little more casual than well-trained SGU.”

She did find it curious that Beckett proved so reluctant to sit in the Ancient chair and initiate it, but in retrospect: “I learned from SGU. Chair is very dangerous.” True dat.

18 down and only 2 to go! Tonight, we roll into Siege I.

So, what did you all think of The Gift?

Today’s entry is dedicated to all the hard-training athletes who were robbed.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X