Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joseph Mallozzi's Blog! (SPOILERS For All SG Shows and Dark Matter)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...peaks-returns/

October 6, 2014

Video: Twin Peaks announcement

Photo: Don S. Davis

I’m exhausted. I slept fitfully last night because of the time change and then woke up at the crack of dawn – because the morning sun shines unobstructed through a blind-free section of my patio window. Fortunately, the meetings were plenty interesting enough to keep me wide awake throughout the afternoon. We started off with our costume meeting in which we discussed wardrobe for our crew, the android, “planet-dwellers”, and corporate guard. Then, we moved onto the directors’ schedule and nailed down all but the late season two-parter. We discussed Directors of Photography (we’ll be sitting down with a few over the coming days), then headed downstairs to check out what the Art Department have in the works. We’ve got a great-looking hero ship and an equally awesome space station design. The designs for the ship and space station interiors, corridors and rooms, are very clever. We’re close on the exterior shuttle design but have yet to start work on the interior. I expect we’ll see more in the coming days – and more in the days to come as we’re about three weeks away from the start of construction. On deck tomorrow: casting, locations, and post-production.

Oh, and, apparently, the official announcement is coming sometime next week. Unofficially.

Saw this today…

Apparently, the cult series will be returning to television in 2016. I have mixed feelings about this. I loved the first delightfully eccentric first season of the show but hated the meandering, ponderous second season. With the exception of the final episode that ended the series in perfectly depressing fashion. But, like the conclusion to Blake’s 7, it’s a classic. I’m not sure what more can be added to the story (like most, I skipped the Fire Walk With Me prequel movie). And I honestly don’t know if I’d be all that interested in finding out without the quirky Agent Cooper leading the investigation. But I certainly would love to know what they have planned.

The story apparently picks up 25 years later. I wonder how many of the original cast they’ll bring back. Sadly, some of the actors who played a few of my favorite characters have passed away since Twin Peaks arid back in 1990-1991. Piper Laurie (Pete Martell), Jack Nance (Peter Martell), and, of course, Don S. Davis (Major Garland Briggs). Don, who, for many years, played the part of General George Hammond on Stargate: SG-1 loved attending the occasional Twin Peaks conventions and meeting his many fans. One afternoon, he was sitting in my office and told me about the atypical way he was cast for the role of Major Briggs. According to Don, he went in for an audition. While waiting for his turn, he struck up a conversation with show co-creator and director David Lynch who was, presumably, on break. They hit it off immediately and spent a long while talking about fly fishing. Then, Lynch excused himself. He had a meeting to attend. He left and Don inquired about his audition – only to be told that Lynch had left so they wouldn’t be seeing anyone else that day. Don returned home, upset. After all, he had spent all that time preparing for an audition that never happened. He phoned up his agent to complain only to learn that the Twin Peaks production offices had called only moments earlier. They wanted him for the role!

I have to admit, I was a huge fan of the show back in the day and still have the collector card set back in Montreal. Among them, this – my favorite card:

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertain...-weird/381159/
    sigpic
    The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...-looking-back/

October 7, 2014

Photos: Akemi, Lulu, Bubba, Jelly

Today, we discussed casting, the budget, locations, post-production, and superheroes. Okay, maybe that last one was a little off-topic, but still – another productive day. I have to say I am very pleased with all of the people I’ve met to date. Super-talented, super-positive, and super-pleasant – I really look forward to working with them.

We’re going to get rolling on casting asap – as soon as I can possibly get the sides out – so I’ll be staying up late, choosing two perfect scenes for each of our seven cast members.

I’m burning the midnight oil – and we’re not even in production yet!

And missing the gang back home…
      sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...our-questions/

October 8, 2014

Photos: Joe Mallozzi

Today, we interviewed some great Directors of Photography, talked cameras, shooting style, pre-lighting, then sat down with our stunt coordinator and discussed how our characters’ varied personalities are displayed in their respective fighting styles. After lunch, we visited the art department where the gang had a bunch of goodies awaiting our perusal: designs of the ship corridors, quarters, mess hall, air locks, training room, and bridge. It’s all coming along nicely. Tonight, it’s dinner with Brad Wright. Tomorrow, we sit down with the director of our opening two episodes – and, maybe, in honor of Carl Binder, dinner with our script coordinator at his favorite Toronto restaurant.

Fielding some of your early show-related questions…

arcticgoddess writes: “Since your team is writing scripts a year in advance, what happens if one or more of your actor choices go awry and do not work for your series?”

Answer: This is a very serialized show, so we’re approaching the 13 episode first season as an extended mini-series. We’re not writing the scripts a year in advance but will have all 13 scripts completed by November – roughly a month a half before the commencement of principal photography – so that we can plan ahead and make the most efficient use of our time and resources. It also allows us to make adjustments to any of the scripts early, for whatever reason, rather than have to scramble and make last-minute changes that compromise the story.

Bailey writes: “Sometimes actor chemistry just changes things on a show and can’t be predicted.”

Answer: True but, like I said, we know the story we want to tell, but can certainly make adjustments to the various character relations based on performance and onscreen chemistry. I liken it to adapting a book. You need to be flexible enough to make necessary changes but you’re not going to overhaul the entire script.

Line Noise writes: “So is there a ready-made production company for you to use in Toronto? Or did you have to build your own? You seem to already have a production team and art department on tap so I assume they come with the studio?”

Answer: Yes, we’re working with a production company here in Toronto. Over the course of the past couple of days, we met all the department heads and they’re a great bunch. We’re really looking forward to working with them.

It’s time to play Guess the Show by the Teefury t-shirt!

P.S. Under the terms of the deal as this blog’s resident film critic, Cookie Monster is sitting through Kick-Ass 2. You can expect an angry review within the next few days. Screen the movie if you have time and want to commiserate!
        sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...oronto-dining/

October 9, 2014

Photos: Dinner at Buca, Jelly, Bubba, Lulu

"Whatever you do,”said my writing partner, Paul, clearly concerned about my penchant for adventurous eating, “don’t order the brains.”

“When was the last time you saw brain on a menu?”I scoffed.

And then, there it was, in the appetizer section: lamb brains.

In retrospect, it shouldn’t have come as that big of a surprise. After all, we were dining at Buca, my favorite Toronto restaurant, known for its creative offal offerings.

“No innards,”Paul reminded me as a we perused our menus, squinting to make out the tiny print in the darkened room. Finally, I gave up and used the flashlight app on my phone. Yes, I felt old – but not quite so bad as the evening progressed and about a half dozen other diners followed suit. “Just go ahead and order for us,”said Paul, obviously too proud to use the flashlight function on HIS phone.

There were a lot of very intriguing menu options, but many fell foul of the “no innards” edict. Eventually, I decided to split the difference by reading aloud slightly altered versions of the dish descriptions. For instance, the pasta with duck offal ragu became “pasta with duck ragu”! The revised descriptions proved more palatable to my squeamish writing partner.

A couple of the highlights…

The nod ini: warm bread knots with olive oil, rosemary, garlic, and sea salt.

The crispy pig ears. Yeah, yeah, I know, but it’s not brains and, technically, not an “innards”. It’s more of an “outard”.

The bianca pizza with gorgonzola and duck eggs.

And various awesome pasta. Love that place.

Then, last night, we met up with Brad Wright for dinner at another Italian restaurant in the neighbourhood. My review: Pizza good, pasta okay, service excellent, slight urine smell. Not sure about that one.

I was walking the neighborhood today, shopping for necessitates – socks, underwear, towels, a soda stream shaped like a penguin – and noticed A LOT of intriguing dining options in the area.

Tonight, it’s oysters with the director of our first two episodes and then, tomorrow morning, I’m homeward-bound. And none too soon. Akemi tells me that Jelly has been restless since I left, up and panting through the night, and has taken to following her around.
          sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...-news-of-note/

October 10, 2014

1. I’m back in Vancouver. And exhausted. I’ve got seven days to get my crap together, including: banking, car servicing, making arrangements for the house, and making a turducken AND piecaken for this Sunday!

2. The official announcement on my new series is coming. No, really! Apparently, Tuesday is the day.

3. Ever wanted to own a figurine of yourself? Or a figurine of your favorite Executive Producer? Well check out this place, located right here in Vancouver, where you can pop in, get scanned, and have your very own mini me delivered to you in 72 hours: http://mini-me.ca

4. Comcast goes above and beyond the call of ****ty customer service: http://gawker.com/comcast-half-apolo...-go-1644252018

5. 10 t.v. shows that are really creepy if you think about them: http://io9.com/10-tv-shows-that-are-...t-t-1644845434

6. Oh, I noticed: http://www.cracked.com/article_21574...rely-luck.html

7. “They taste like burning.” http://www.vulture.com/2014/09/28-si...must-know.html

8. Uh. Oh. Okay: http://defamer.gawker.com/nielsen-we...rch-1644853977

9. Pecan pie at the bottom of the list?! Creamed horns lower than apple fritters?! Plain croissants at number #1?! Nonsense! http://rankings.gawker.com/pastries-ranked-1635451466

10. Pursuant to my recent post about the new Twin Peaks series, here are 10 Things Showtime’s New Twin Peaks Series Needs To Do: http://www.toplessrobot.com/2014/10/post_10.php

11. Oh. And THIS re: Golden Boy Marin Gero: http://deadline.com/2014/10/l-a-comp...ect-cw-849644/
            sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...ws-kick-ass-2/

October 11, 2014

Photos: Kick Ass 2

Watching dis movie be like getting together wit former girlfriend after several years. You tink it be a great idea but, when show up for date, you diskover she really let herself go, embittered wit life, and spend most of evening telling tasteless jokes and trying to sell you on Amway. At end of de night, you go home feeling sad, cheap, and gross. Also poorer becuz you bought box of multivitamins and six pack of men’s fragrance dat smell like eau de Grover’s toilet.

Movie open on Hit Girl and Dave (aka Kick-Ass) in training. He a wimp but she tuffening him up by beating de living crap out of him and, occasionally, shooting him. Dey going to be de greatest team-up since Punisher and Archie! UNTIL Hit Girl’s step dad make her promise to give up superheroing and just be a normal girl. Haha! Right. De Hit Girl we know from last movie would never agree so…Oh. She does agree? Haha! Right. But de Hit Girl we know from last movie might agree but would never really give up being a superhero…Oh. She does?

Yes, for some reason, she agree and den spend big chunk of movie “trying to fit in” wit other high schoolers. Dis plot development offer plenty of opportunities for hilarious fish-out-of-water scenes as Hit Girl try to akt like a normal teen. Unfortunately, it make absolutely no sense. It be totally out of charakter for de Hit Girl we knew from last movie but, luckily, cliquey high school girls also akt totally out of charakter, inviting her to a sleepover and convincing her to try out for dance team. While she desperately trying to fit and hilarity ensuing, monster wonder: “What happened to terrific rebellious kid from last movie?”.

Meanwhile, Dave, aka Kick-Ass, team up wit lame amateur vigilante superheroes lead by Ace Ventura.

Meanwhile, Chris D’Amico, aka Red Mist, come out of retirement and don his dead mom’s S&M ensemble to become…De MUDDER****ER! He also assemble his own lame amateur super villain team.

Scenes of extreme violence ensue but, unlike original, no fun to be had here. In first movie, action sekwences enjoyable becuz it feature incongruous kid taking out bad guys. In dis movie, we instead treated to action sekwences of bad guys killing cops in gruesome fashion. Hohoho! And, later, Ace Ventura. Hahahaha! Oh, and Dave’s dad. Heeheehee! At one point, Mudder****er unable to assault a girl becuz he can’t get erektion! And it all played for laughs.

Eventually, Hit Girl come out of retirement and join rest of superheroes in warehouse showdown against supervillains. Ho hum.

Bad guys are defeated and all is forgiven. Even Todd, Dave’s high school buddy, who joined Team Supervillain, revealed Kick Ass’s true identity, and was direktly responsible for Dave’s dad being murdered, get a pass. Well, you know what dey say: “Bros before common sense!”

Hit Girl heads off into the sunset disappearing herself and leaving her step-dad to pick up de pieces of the police investigation into her vigilante past – and, presumably, face jail time for aiding and abetting a murderer.

Not so kick-ass. Aktually, dumb and depressing. A sekwel in name only.

VERDIKT: If you loved de first movie, you’ll hate dis one. But if you hated de first movie, you probably won’t hate dis one as much.

RATING: 4 chocolate chippee cookies – except chocolate chippees actually raisins. Sucker!
              sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...ion-continues/

October 12, 2014

Photos: Canadian Thanksgiving, Lulu, Jeff, Barb, Akemi, Bubba

Well, the tradition continues insofar as this makes two years in a row Akemi and I have roasted up a turducken and made a piecaken to celebrate Canadian Thanksgiving.

I ordered the turducken last week, electing to go with a different butcher and different franken-bird: turkey-chicken-duck but with bacon-wrapped sausage-stuffing. And, to hedge our bets, a side of regular bread-based stuffing as well.

On Friday, we got to work on the pie portion of our piecaken, baking up a Chuck Hughes version of the southern favorite -

Then, on Saturday, Akemi baked the pie inside a giant brownie cake.

I woke up at 5:45 a.m. this morning to start the turducken – four hours covered; one hour uncovered...

Cha-daaa! I was worried we might not have enough but, as usual, I was wrong. The 10 lb bird went a long way for eight. Our guests had seconds and thirds and even took home leftovers.

It was very good although I’d have to agree with Akemi that last year’s turducken was better.

Everyone liked the stuffing as well – although, like the turducken, I preferred last year’s version.

Served with cranberry sauce, Rob’s signature salad, Ivon’s signature brussel sprouts, gravy, and a little taste of the south -

These compliments of two (transplanted) southerners who happened to be in town -

Jeff and Barb came bearing desserts – a pumpkin pie and -

This awesome bourbon-laced pecan pie with paper shell pecans. Delicious!

They also came bearing gifts: a mug and apron for me, and this pug-themed book that had Akemi positively giddy with joy.

Joining the dessert line-up…

This year’s version of the piecaken was richer and denser (owing to the fact that we actually followed a recipe this year instead of winging it) and lacked the clear, paleontological-like layering (cake, pie shell, gooey substrate, pecans, shale, etc) of 2013’s piecaken. Still, damn tasty though.

A good time was had by all. Jeff and Barb’s Baltimore Ravens crushed the Bucs, while a last second interception return for a touchdown by the Cardinals D put my Snow Monkeys within striking distance of an unlikely win. All I need is for 49ers receiver Michael Crabtree to put up a perfectly average 9 points (a TD + 30 receiving yards should do it).
                sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...news-of-japan/

October 13, 2014

Video: QMONOS

Photos: Blue cocktail dress, Bubba

1. As flexible as nylon, more robust than steel, an artificial spider silk called QMONOS (kumo-no-su being Japanese for spider web) is apparently poised for mass production in everything from super lightweight bulletproof vests to automobiles.

http://www.huffingtonpost.jp/2013/05...n_3350116.html

According to the article, this unique silk is so strong that it could snag a jumbo jet in mid-flight.

“Spiber claims its spiderweb is not only seven times tougher than aramid fibres, which are used for bullet-proof vests, but weighs just one-sixth that of steel and 40 per cent less than carbon-fibre. The company says its product will “go close” to reproducing those qualities.” (http://www.motoring.com.au/news/2014...-cobwebs-46595)

I, for one, would love a spider silk suit – but don’t see one on the company website. I do, however, see this fetching blue cocktail dress. Maybe perfect for Akemi when her birthday rolls around next April – by which point I’m sure the price will have come down considerably.

http://www.spiber.jp/en/about/

2. According to Akemi, sumo wrestlers consume one enormous meal a day. This starve-binge schedule accounts for their enormous weight.

In retrospect, however, Akemi isn’t sure this is true and suspects it may just be a story she heard from her grandmother.

3. Scientists in Japan are creating noodles out of wood! Well, close. They’re using cellulose – which is not all that new. We’ve been enjoying its high-fibre, low-cal benefits for years now:

http://nowiknow.com/pulp-fact/

What’s interesting about the Japanese noodles is that they’re composed entirely of cellulose, making them calorie (and flavor) free!

4. According to Akemi, if you dream about Mount Fuji, two eagles, and three eggplants on New Year’s Eve, you’ll have a great year. Apparently, those details are set in stone so you can’t be dreaming about Mount Kilimanjaro or three kumquats or even two eggplants and still expect to have a great year. When I questioned her about this, she insisted: “It’s common sense.” I tried to explain to her that “common sense” assumes the application of simple logic – in this case, to a causal relationship. i.e. – If you set fire to a book, it will burn. But she remained adamant. “If you ask ninety percent of Japanese people, ninety-nine point nine percent will know this. It’s common sense!”

We’re barreling through Fall and heading straight toward Winter. What happened to 2014?!

P.S. Tomorrow IS the day. Finally. An official announcement on my new series will be made.

I’m hoping.
                  sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...-announcement/

October 14, 2014

Photo: Snow monkeys

There you have it! It’s finally official! Worth the wait, hunh? Hunh?!

Hang on. What do you mean “There was no grand announcement”? WTF?!

I’m sure you’re all sitting back in your homes or at your respective desks, quietly shaking your heads thinking: “Poor guy. He has lost it.” Like John Nash in A Beautiful Mind or Jacob Singer in Jacob’s Ladder or the main character in that story you wrote for Mrs. Haversham in second grade, I’ve become full-blown delusional. A new show you say? A scifi series no less? Suuuure. If I was writing this story, the twist would have me wake up to discover it’s 2010, and I’m still in Toronto!

Or…

The official announcement comes out in a press release tomorrow morning at 10:00 a.m. By the time many of you read this entry, you’ll probably already have heard – and come here armed with questions.

Or carefully worded inquiries about my sanity.

A busy. Today, we discussed visual effects and designs: stasis pods, shuttle exterior and interior. We also received the first round of Toronto auditions. I spent two hours, after dinner today, going over them. Some very promising candidates. Can’t wait to see what Vancouver and L.A. bring.

Damn. This hallucination grows increasingly elaborate.

Oh, to all those wondering – and I’m sure there are A LOT of you – my Snow Monkeys won this weekend, evening their Fantasy Football League record at 3-3 and moving into fifth place in our twelve team league. I smell playoffs!
                    sigpic

Comment

So it is Dark Matter then..

https://twitter.com/MichaelAusiello/...88642497433600
                      sigpic
                      Thanks to slizzie1986 for signature
                      MSOL - Official Website of Michael Shanks

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...4-dark-matter/

October 15, 2014

Photo: Dark Matter news

Big news! I’m not crazy after all -

http://tvline.com/2014/10/15/syfy-ac...el-adaptation/

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2014/1...atter-to-syfy/

So I DIDN’T imagine the whole thing. Unless, of course, this is also part of my elaborate, ongoing hallucination and those url’s actually link to the live cam of a cat hotel in Cornwall.

But, just in case, I’d like to thank a few of the people who got us where we are today: poised to go into production on a glorious 13-episode SF series…

First and foremost, Jay Firestone of Prodigy Pictures who worked tirelessly for months (and months and months!) relentlessly pursuing (I suspect he’s really a T-1000) and piecing together the various deals that made Dark Matter, the t.v. series, a reality. If not for all of Jay’s determined hard work, none of this would have been possible and I would have had to find something else to blog about today.

Next, Keith Goldberg at Dark Horse Comics who green lit the original four issue Dark Matter comic book series (available as a graphic novel here: https://digital.darkhorse.com/browse/brand/52/. As I suspected, the graphic novel proved an invaluable visual tool in conveying a proper sense of the prospective show’s tone and plotting – and ensuring people didn’t automatically imagine “the worst version”.

Speaking of the comic book, a big thanks to artist extraordinaire Garry Brown who illustrated all four issues (http://www.garrybrownart.com), colorist Ryan Hill (https://twitter.com/josephryanhill), letters Richard Starkings and Comicraft (http://www.comicbookfonts.com/default.asp), and my awesome editor Patrick Thorpe (http://www.comicbookdaily.com/column...atrick-thorpe/).

I’m sure I’ll have at least another hundred people to thank when all is said and done but for now, a final thanks to Vanessa Piazza who has been overseeing early prep (everything from The Raza and space station designs to casting) and will be joining me on set for all the space-faring fun in the coming months.

Spread the word. And check back here for plenty of behind-the-scenes insights, tidbits, and sneak peaks.
                        sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...d-my-birthday/

October 16, 2014

Photos: Dark Matter

So now that it’s official, I can finally talk about my new show, Dark Matter, and my plans for the series and this blog in the lead-up to season premiere (sometime in 2015). As most of you know, while I was working on Stargate this blog offered fans a peak at the inner workings of the production, with posts of everything from concept art to behind the scene videos and, of course, Q&A’s with the many talented individuals who helped produce it. Well, I’d like to offer fans and prospective viewers the same opportunity with Dark Matter - with the added bonus that we’ll all be on this journey together. From prep through production to finished episode, this blog will offer you spoiler-free insights into the evolution of the production, something usually reserved for after-the-fact special features. I want you all invested in the series from the very beginning and involved in its progression and completion so that, ultimately, hopefully, you’ll consider it YOUR show as much as I consider it mine.

Saturday, I leave rainy Vancouver for the frosty environs of Toronto where I’ll spend the next seven months – at least. Next week, I’ll be talking to Jay Firestone (http://www.jayfirestone.com) and his team, lead by Vanessa Piazza (https://twitter.com/Vanessa_Piazza_), about coordinating these behind-the-scenes entries. In the meantime…

Delivered scripts for episodes #7 and #8. The script for episode #9 will come out next week. As I mentioned in a previous entry, my writing partner, Paul, and I are approaching this first year as a maxi-series, each episode a chapter in our season-long story. By the time we go to camera in January, we should have all 13 scripts done.

As for now, we’ve got six crew members and an android to cast and are deep into it. We’ve cast a fairly wide net, opening the roles to all ethnicities and, in a couple of cases, both genders. In the end, I think two of our linchpin female crew members, defacto leader TWO and the mysterious kid FIVE are going to be the toughest to cast. Having that, however, we’ve got A LOT of very interesting candidates.

Thanks for all the birthday well-wishes. I celebrated today by getting my haircut and doing a pass on the aforementioned scripts. We went out for sushi dinner and, tonight, I cap off my birthday festivities by taking in another 30 auditions.

One final full day in Vancouver and then we’re Toronto-bound. And, just when I was beginning to feel a little more comfortable about flying with the dogs, Lulu, my french bulldog has come down with diarrhea. Let’s hope it clears up before we board our Saturday morning flight.
                          sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...odest-mailbag/

October 17, 2014

Photo: Jelly

That’s it. We’re out of time. Ready or not, we are on a plane and Toronto-bound tomorrow morning. I’m super anxious about flying with the dogs – but have done my best to prepare them for the four and half hour in-cabin flight. I spent an hour on the phone with Air Canada, making the arrangements. Jelly, Bubba, and Lulu will be flying in-cabin with us. Each dog must be accompanied by a passenger but, sadly, must remain under the seats at all time. I did my research and learned that the middle seats in economy actually have the most under-seat room so I booked three in a row – and also booked the aisle seats so that Akemi, Jeff, and I wouldn’t be too cramped. I know, I know. It’s an added expense – that required a whole separate call and next day confirmation – but this is a (hopefully) rare occasion. Lulu’s recent stomach issues had me concerned enough to take her to the vet today but I’m pleased to report that her case of (what Carl Binder used to refer to as) “the skitters” has abated and she is back to her old self. And, as an added bonus, actually shaved off half a pound!

We fly out at 9:00 a.m., but we’ll be meeting at the airport at 7:30 so that we can check in together. The dogs will be skipping breakfast, just to be on the safe side, and I’ll be administering Rescue Remedy and maybe a little bit of gravel before they head into their sherpa bags. I may even wake up extra early to take them for some early, EARLY morning walks and ensure they’re nice and tired for the duration of the trip.

I’m hoping for a lot of this:

And, once we’re in Toronto, it’ll be smoooooooth sailing!

Mailbag:

Bailey writes: “Will the series follow closely with the comic? If I have read the Dark Matter will I be spoiled for the series?”

Answer: The first two episodes will cover the events of the Dark Matter graphic novel (comprised of all four issues of the comic book) although some changes will be made. Yes, there are spoilers in the graphic novel but the revelations contained therein are merely the tip of the iceberg in terms of the twists, turns, and surprises to be doled out over the course of the show’s first season.

glisterghost writes: “Casting must be an exciting experience for any writer – do you have any say in the process?”

Answer: Yes, as show runner I will have a say in everything from who is cast to the color of the onscreen display on the bridge. I’m mad with power.

gforce writes: “Poor Lulu! Hopefully, that will clear up really soon. Who will she be riding with anyway? Jeff?

Answer: Yep. Jeff has the honor. She’s feeling much better now. Hopefully, she won’t be too gassy.

Dallas Marshall writes: ” is Dark Matter going to be aired in the United States, or just Canada? “

Answer: SyFy is our U.S. broadcaster: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...graphic-740985. Just like old times!

dasndanger writes: “Dude…DUDE…the toughest character to cast will most certainly be Ryo Tetsuda”

Answer: I thought so too – until I started reviewing the auditions. Some terrific candidates.

JimFromJersey writes: “Since this is going to be “our” show, let me know when would be a good time for a set visit. Preferably after it’s built, of course.”

Answer: Damn. I was going to put you to work on the bridge.

livingforcreativity writes: “You seemed to have many, many shows in development at one time. I’m thrilled Dark Matter is happening. It seems like getting a show to air is a miracle under any circumstances. But, are any of the other shows still a possibility? If one of them “happens” what do you do? (Add people to the team, while you still executive produce?)”

Answer: I should be so lucky. Right now, Paul and I are wholly focused on Dark Matter‘s first season – and will be through June of 2015. One of our other prospective shows, A.K.A., is still in play out there, while another script I co-wrote with our friend Tara Yelland was recently optioned. I’ve always said that, in this business, you either have to have near infinite patience, or a near infinite amount of projects out there. You just never know. Even when you think you do – you don’t. A while ago, I thought Dark Matter was dead and would have bet money we’d be producing A.K.A. in Vancouver – but, clearly, things worked out differently.

Joan001 writes: ” I know that there are people I’d like to see being cast again. “

Answer: So would I and I’ve recommended certain individuals I’ve worked with in the past for certain roles. But, in the end, it all comes down to the auditions. We’ve seen a lot of very talented people so far, and will be seeing a lot more in the coming week, and, in the end, it all comes down to who is right for the role.

Jarvis writes: ” Are you guys casting only in Canada or in L.A. too? “

Answer: The L.A. sessions start next week.

JeffW writes: “So it premiers next fall? In September?”

Answer: They haven’t announced an official premiere date yet. Could be as early as June or late as September I imagine. What works best for you?
                            sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...nd-three-dogs/

October 18, 2014

Photos Bubba, Jeff

It’s a feeling akin to oversleeping on exam day or realizing, halfway through your work day, that you forgot to turn off the oven. I opened my briefcase to get my passport and…it wasn’t there. At first you think “No, it can’t be.” as you check and re-check and re-check again, and then desperation sets in and you think “No! It can’t be!” as though you can set things right, make the passport magically appear, through sheer force of will. But no. No passport! I raced won to level one and jumped in a cab, leaving Akemi – and the three dogs, each in their tiny sherpa bags, Bubba howling in protest. My stress levels had just gone to 11.

I felt like that week my fantasy football Snow Monkeys lost on one of the final plays of the one of the final games when Vincent Jackson scored that touchdown. Why do the fates conspire against me?!!

I made it back to my place and back in a little over twenty minutes. Then, there was no time to dilly-dally or walkie-walkie. It was straight through security and on to the gate where our flight boarded early – but left late. I had bought six seats of the six of us – the dogs got the middle seat while the humans got the aisle. And, after weeks of worry and an anxiety-filled morning, the dogs were…great! Bubba was a little noisy at first but quickly settled down for the duration of the flight. Jelly cried, only occasionally. And Lulu was even quieter than her travel companion, Jeff (and his noisy laptop tapping!).

Of course, by the time we hit the baggage claim, Bubba was in full wail and Akemi had to retreat to a quiet section of the arrival area to calm him down. We got our bags, caught a lift and, finally, got to our new home in Toronto. Until next week when we move to a nicer place.

In the meantime, an unexpected problem has arisen and I could use your invaluable input. What do I do about separation anxiety? No, I’m not talking about me missing Vancouver. I’m talking about Bubba missing us – the second we leave the place. He howls up a storm that carries down the hall and, no doubt, through the wall and into the neighboring suite. Akemi and I went out to dinner tonight with our friends, John and Nancy (who, sadly, are moving OUT of Toronto on Monday) and came back, a couple of hours later, to the sounds of Bubba’s cries.

Anybody dealt with something similar? Have any advice for dealing with a lonely and vocal dog? We tried leaving the t.v. on and littering the place with kibble to distract him, but even that didn’t work. What can I do, short of getting him a job on the Dark Matter production?
                              sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...toronto-day-1/

October 19, 2014

Video: Bubba, Lulu

Photos: Akemi, lunch at Banh Mi Boys, dinner at Buca, Jeff, Lulu

Our first night in Toronto was, in a word, “horrible”. The bed is too small, it’s too hard, and the curtains are insufficient and, in parts, non-existent so that the street lights (and, at approximately 2:30 a.m., the flashing police lights) streaming in to our bedroom made sleep almost impossible. ALMOST impossible because I was so exhausted I could have fallen asleep – if it wasn’t for Jelly’s crying keeping me up. Eventually, I had to set her down behind the bed to shield from the light so that she eventually dozen off – at just after 3:00 a.m. – only to wake up with the sun. Of course.

Today, we were off in search of tape and black material so that we could create our own blackout curtains. And also some winter coats. And boots. It’s cold! 4 degrees celsius/39 fahrenheit. WTF? Toronto was actually warmer than Vancouver – until yesterday when the temperature suddenly dropped to near freezing – coincidentally, on the day of our arrival! The fates continue to conspire against me.

Thanks to everyone that offered advice on dealing with Bubba’s separation anxiety. The problem has sort of sorted itself out for the time being. The poor little guy has howled himself hoarse and now just squawks -

On the bright side, a full day in and the eating has been good. For lunch, pork belly buns at Banh Mi Boys -

And then back to Buca for a thank-you dine with Jeff -

Speaking of Jeff who is flying out tomorrow, he dropped by to say goodbye to his flying companion and new best friend -

Heading into the office tomorrow.

Wonder what we’re having for lunch…
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X