Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joseph Mallozzi's Blog! (SPOILERS For All SG Shows and Dark Matter)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...ounds-6-and-7/

January 24, 2014

Photos: Hot Chocolate

In addition to scriptwriting (and rewriting), I’ve been very busy running around town testing the various hot chocolates that make up this year’s Vancouver Hot Chocolate Festival! Today, we reached the 1/4 mark of our epic chocolate journey…

Round #6...

Chocolat Glacé: Iced drinking chocolate. Served with a Gaufre de Liège waffle, along with a side of fleur de sel caramel or chocolate hazelnut spread..

Available at: Chocolaterie de la Nouvelle France 198 East 21st Ave., Vancouver, B.C.

www.chocolaterienouvellefrance.ca

Surprisingly refreshing. Not overly sweet, it strikes a nice textural, neither too thick nor too thin.

The Hive: ’Hives for Humanity’ honey dark drinking chocolate. Served with a honey nib caramel.

Available at: East Van Roasters, 319 Carrall St, Vancouver, B.C.

East Van Roasters

A gloriously frothy cup of hot chocolate, the sweetness of the honey accented by just a touch of salt. I liked it, but Akemi isn’t a believer of the “adding salt to sweet” school of dessert preparation. The honey nib caramel served with the hot chocolate embodied the same contrasting flavors and I loved it. A heavenly two bites.

The Verdict: Both great in completely different ways. But, if I had to choose…

The Winner: The Hive (East Van Roasters).

Round #7:

Chocolat Glacé à la Noix de Coco: Coconut flavoured iced drinking chocolate. Served with a Gaufre de Liège waffle, along with a side of fleur de sel caramel or chocolate hazelnut spread.

Available at: Chocolaterie de la Nouvelle France 198 East 21st Ave., Vancouver, B.C.

While the regular iced chocolate drink was great, this one, fairly bursting with coconut flavor, was even better. Initially, I feared the flavor might stray into cloying Pina Colada territory but it turned out to be surprisingly strong in chocolate flavor as well. The warm local waffle serve with the home made hazelnut spread was to die for.

Granville Island Grocery List: Inspired by the flavours of Granville Island, this is a beet and saffron hot chocolate. Served with a Gjetost macaron.

Available at: Soirette Macarons & Tea 1433 West Pender Street, Vancouver. (Coal Harbour)

www.soirette.com

Well I have to give Soirette credit for creativity. Last visit, it was Five Spice Chocolate. This time, it was beet and saffron and chocolate. Like the last time, the chocolate base was amazing, but the inspired ingredients maybe a little…to inspired? To be fair, I’m a little biased when it comes to saffron (I think it tastes like public pool water) and, while I enjoy beets, the tiny pieces at the bottom of my cup felt a little out of place. I was, however, mightily impressed with the macaron, the meringue sandwiching a piece of Gjetost, a slightly sweet cheese so unique I actually referenced it in an episode of Stargate: SG-1 (http://culturecheesemag.com/events/g...t_out_stargate).

Verdict: Both quality products but there’s only one I’d go back to again. And again.

Winner: Chocolat Glacé à la Noix de Coco (Chocolaterie de la Nouvelle France).

That’s 16 hot chocolates down, some 46 to go!
    sigpic
    The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...uddys-day-out/

January 25, 2014

Photos: Joe Mallozzi, food truck test, Joe's buddy, Lulu

My buddy was in Vancouver today. For approximately five hours. He was actually on a layover, flying fin rom South Korea at 11:30 a.m., then flying out to Montreal at 4:30 p.m. Factor in the wait time at customs, travel to and from the airport, extended hilarious greetings/farewells, and that left us with closer to 150 minutes.

After picking him up, I have him a choice of lunch selections: brunch, dim sum, sushi, or food trucks. Surprisingly, he elected to go with the latter. At first, I figured we’d swing by the winter farmers market that usually boasts a half-dozen food trucks, but a quick check of my food truck app (Yes, I have a food truck app) revealed a food truck fest taking place downtown. Perfect timing! We could go down, grab a bite, then have a plenty of time for a hot chocolate!

The food truck fest featured over a dozen food trucks – and an enormous crowd of hungry diners...

It was a pretty big turnout – that got even bigger between the time we placed our orders and the time we picked them up.

From the Roaming Dragon truck: Pork belly with pickles in a steamed bun with rice balls, and their version of the ubiquitous Vietnamese sandwich, the banh mi. All great, but that bank mi was outstanding. I can’t say enough about the importance of fresh bread!

Akemi had the chickpea and puffed rice salad from Vij’s Railway Express. It was a little disappointing only because we tried it once before and loved it. This time, it was overpowered by the heavy dressing.

My buddy had a chicken naan that he had to wait twenty minutes for because the naan truck ran out of naan bread. No, really.

Once we were done, we hopped into my car and headed over to Bella Gelateria where we treated my buddy to ice cream (I highly recommend the rum and raisin!) and, of course, some hot chocolate (full report to follow).

After that, there was just enough time to drive back to my place so that my buddy could check out the house and pretend not to be frightened by Lulu -

Before jumping back into the car and heading back to the airport.

All in all, a visit both pleasant and highly efficient. Next time my buddy comes to town, I’m going to try break our record and wrap things up inside of two hoursQ

Three more episodes to go before we reach the end of Stargate: Universe. Akemi is cautiously optimistic about checking out Atlantis once we’re done, based on all of your recommendations. Will she like it? Or will it be another Girls?
      sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...erford-county/

January 26, 2014

Photo: Dog

Those of you who follow my alternate ego, Baron Destructo, on Facebook, are aware that between the blog updates and the occasional sarcastic comments, my timeline is mostly made up of dog-related links. I share lost dog alerts, dog news and, on occasion, warn against the mistreatment of animals. The latter category covers a wide variety of possibilities, hardships poor dogs must endure. Just today, for example, I came across THIS:

Yes, it’s admittedly hard to look at, but we need to get the word out. Submitting your dog to the humiliation of silly headgear will NOT be tolerated! Say NO to dogs in funny hats! I mean, consider this collage of doggy degradation. What is going through poor Ralphie’s mind? I’ll tell you what he’s thinking! ”Surely there’s an easier way to keep my ears warm!”.

While on the subject of dogs, I came across this news report about an elderly couple allegedly swindled out of their beloved pooch:

http://fox17.com/news/features/top-s...og-19150.shtml

According to the senior couple, Penny (Pennie) Jekot, director of The Humane Alliance of Rutherford County, tricked them into signing over ownership of their dog, buddy. When a reporter questioned the charity director about the allegations, Mr. Jekot became snippy, leading to this shocking exchange:

Reporter: Are you planning to sell it? What are you planning to do with the dog?

Penny Jekot: That’s none of your business, woman.

Actually, given the suspect circumstances and the fact that Ms. Jekot runs a charitable organization, I think it’s everyone’s business. I tried contacting Penny Jekot on her Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/penny.jekot?fref=ts), but received no response to my polite query. I’ll think I’ll try The Humane Alliance of Rutherford County tomorrow and get their side of the story – although, even if they claim it was all an honest mistake, I don’t see why they haven’t taken steps to rectify matters. Anyway, if you’re as curious as I am and would like to ask the charity for clarification, here’s the information on The Humane Alliance of Rutherford County: Address: 975 Bridge Ave, Murfreesboro, TN 37127, Phone615) 907-7093

Sad. Now it’s been suggested that Ms. Jekot has already sold the dog on craigslist: Have You Seen This? – Charity Accused Of Stealing Woman’s Furry …

Well, hopefully some answers tomorrow!

Oh, and if you can, please circulate this story.
        sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...ounds-8-and-9/

January 27, 2014

Photos: Hot chocolate, Kathode

Our tour of the ongoing Vancouver Hot Chocolate Festival continues with not one, not two, not three, not four, but FIVE new concoctions!

The festivities continue through to February 14th, so plenty of time to check out the delectable offerings: January 04, 2014The Hot Chocolate is Here!

Round #8...

Evita: gBAR flavoured with salted caramel – Argentina style. Served with Erin Ireland’s “To Die For” Banana Bread.

Available at: Bella Gelateria, 1001 West Cordova Street.

www.bellagelateria.com

Hmmm. I found this one a little confused. All of the various hot chocolates on the menu use a standard base (your choice of milk, dark, or very dark chocolate) to which is added a flavor accent in the form of a gelato bar. In the case of the Monkey’s Lunch, it all worked. The banana gelato married well with the chocolate and the banana bread was the perfect accompaniment. And, while I love the banana bread, it seemed like an odd accompaniment to this hot chocolate. Also, unlike the Monkey’s Lunch, the flavor of the salted caramel gelato got lost, presumably because of the heavier hot chocolate to bar ratio.

Nut Your Traditional Hot chocolate: Chipmunks will chatter over this hot chocolate flavoured with peanut butter. Served with a berry marshmallow.

Available at: Last Crumb Cafe, 3080 Main Street (Main and East 15th), Vancouver.

thelastcrumb

I suppose you can eat the marshmallow separately, but I preferred to dunk it in the hot chocolate so that it gradually melted, imparting the drink with a unique berry sweetness to counterbalance the slight saltiness of the peanut butter. This is about as close as you can get to drinking peanut butter and jelly. And it’s damn good.

The Verdict: I’m a sucker for peanut butter. I love salted caramel too but, for some reason, its flavors were strangely muted in the Evita.

Winner: Nut Your Traditional Hot Chocolate (Last Crumb Cafe)

Round #9...

Paula Dean White Trash Trainwreck: A 70% dark chocolate ganache with condensed milk, salted kettle chips, and vanilla whipped cream. Served with a 72% dark chocolate wafer.

Available at: Mink Chocolates, 863 West Hastings St., Vancouver. On the park (cross street, Hornby.)

/mink.chocolates

An assembly of ingredients as inspired as its name, bursts of sweet and salty, silky, whispy, and crispy. It seems like a bizarre combination but it works. Really, REALLY well. The hot chocolate base almost attains a consistency just short of pudding. Shatter the chips, mix in the whipped cream, and you’ve got one of the most fun flavors of the festival so far. And damn delicious to boot!

Hot Toddy Float: You’d stay warm and cozy even in the peaks of Grouse Mountain with this buttered rum hot chocolate blended with wild mountain honey ice cream.

Available at: Soirette Macarons & Tea 1433 West Pender Street, Vancouver. (Coal Harbour)

www.soirette.com

I might have enjoyed this one a little more in a regular cup instead of a take-away cup, but it was quite good nevertheless. My only complaint was that, by the time my drink hit the table, the honey ice cream was no longer solid. In fairness, it may have been intentional – which is too bad since two of my top hot chocolates of the festival so far (Chocolate Arts’ Snowball’s Chance in Hell and Thierry’s Trio of Chocolate) executed the hot/cold contrast to great effect.

Peppermint Patty: Made from 70% Valrhona guanaja chocolate infused with organic peppermint and vanilla bean chantilly. Served with a double fudge cookie.

Available at: Bel Cafe, 801 West Georgia Street @ Howe (at the Rosewood Hotel Georgia)

http://www.belcafe.com/

Yeaaaargh! The first misfire of the festival! Lacking any discernible sweetness, this drink was like taking a mint buckshot to the throat. It was so intense in its mint flavor that I thought it might work better as a topical muscle relaxant instead of a drink.

Verdict: Thick chocolate ganache, kettle chips and whipped cream? UNREAL!

Winner: Paula Dean White Trash Trainwreck (Mink Chocolates)

Joining us on today’s tour was blog regular Kathode who took time away from her busy schedule to watch me achieve a sugar high unlike any other.

21 flavors down. We’re one third of the way to the finish line!

Today’s entry is dedicated to blog regular M. Reed. Condolences on the loss of her beloved dog. Condolences.
          sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...antis-rewatch/

January 28, 2014

Photos: Stargate: Universe

The other night, Akemi and I finally wrapped up our viewing of Stargate: Universe. So, what did she think? What was her take on the final ten episodes? The finale?

Well, what follows are her unique thoughts on episodes #211-220 (Stargate: Universe 2.5)...

DELIVERANCE

While she appreciated the action in this one, she did bump on the seemingly impeccable timing with which our crew was able to extricate themselves from danger…managing an FTL jump with seconds to spare. She also found the aliens had equally impressive timing. Either that or they were just being polite by waiting until Scott and Chloe complete their kiss before interrupting them: “Everything so perfect timing. And by the way, bad alien very polite too. Wait until kiss before interrupting.”

She wasn’t sure why the alien ursuni sacrificed themselves to buy Destiny time (“I don’t get seed ship. Why they sacrifice themselves? Why so nice?”), but did find the moment touching nevertheless (“So sad. Sad story. Sad alien. Just like seppuku.”).

As always, the visual effects were the star of the show (“Very interesting to see computer graphics in fighting scenes. Very cool. I like it.”)

TWIN DESTINIES

More sadness – and some confusion – abounds in this episode. Interestingly enough, she felt sadder for a miscalculating Eli than the rest of the crew who presumably perish in the unstable wormhole: “The geek boy’s mathematics wasn’t correct, right? Too bad, geek boy. Very sad for him.”

She found the “stay or go” decisions by the various characters very interesting, particular Dale Volker’s desire to stay: “I was surprised the fact Patrick wanted to stay on the ship. He was the third person! Do you believe it?” I asked her, given the choice, if she would choose to remain on Destiny. Her response: “My character not very important so maybe writer send me back to Earth.” The cold realist.

Overall, though, she really enjoyed this episode: “I liked this episode. I like expensive episodes I guess. Very cool.”

ALLIANCES

Another stone episode complete with confusing body-swapping. Still: “I kind of liked it. Exciting bomb situation going on.”

Again, she appreciated the visual effects and the “weird looking bomb”. She also patted herself on the back for being instantly suspicious of Andrew the second he boarded the ship: “Andrew creepy. Very suspicious from the beginning.”

One question she asked that I didn’t have the answer to was with regard to the old timey paintings that adorn the halls of Homeworld Command – and one in particular: “Why people pick Carl Binder’s picture over other writers? Maybe because is more sophisticated.” No, I’m sure that wasn’t it.

HOPE

While she didn’t enjoy this episode as much as the previous visual effects extravaganzas, it did have its moments. And some of those moments engendered some interesting responses...

When Ginn first shows up in Chloe’s body: “TWO girls in one body! So great for him [Eli]!”

But then, when Ginn kisses Eli: “What the ****?!” And later: “I didn’t like the fact geek boy kiss because he was not nice to scientist guy when he wanted to kiss. Don’t forget – your body’s not really your body!”

When Rush is in strapped into the chair, experiencing the VR love-making with Amanda Perry, Akemi wondered if he had an erection and how embarrassing that would be considering the number of people in the room.

As for the B story: “I’m happy the fact surgery went well. Team Curly!”

SEIZURE

Her reaction to this episode was similar to mine: “Why such a stupid plan?”

Yes, she found this episode incredibly confusing: “What kind of mission were they trying to do? I still don’t get it. But it was nice to see Bob [Picardo]!”

After explaining the mission to her numerous times, she seemed to get it: “Stupid Chef! Always pushing ideas and fail it.”

She wasn’t quite sure what to make of McKay (“Suddenly McKay show up. He talk a lot. Very arrogant. From Atlantis. So he is famous.”), but I assured her he’d grow on her. She agreed to defer judgement until she’d had a chance to watch SGA.

But she wasn’t buying the body switching, especially the notion that a couple of people from Earth could so effectively impersonate a bunch of human aliens they’d never met: “Very hard to copy somebody’s actions. I think some people may tell. Chotto henna [kind of strange] episode.”

The biggest eye roll came with the revelation that the parameters Amanda Perry set for their VR romantic encounters was their love for one another: “How to measure love? What if more than like but a little less than love? Not very scientific.” So true.

THE HUNT

I was actually surprised by how much she enjoyed this episode, her new favorite alongside season one’s Time. She loved this episode for a number of reasons, the chiefest being the fact that her favorite character, Ronald Greer, is front and center. She also enjoyed seeing another side of Rush, the playful prankster very much in control.

“I liked this episode so much,”she said. ”Because so funny and I liked scientist’s sneaky face. Reminds me of my boyfriend. I liked the scientist so much in this episode.”

On Lisa Park’s potential romantic relationship with Volker: “She’s everyone’s girlfriend!”

Following the night time attack that kills off most of Varro’s people: “How many people you killed? My boyfriend likes to kill people.” And then: “A lot of Lucian Alliance people living together and you kill them all except your favorite Mike Dopud.” But on a more serious note: “Feels like you’re killing so many people every episode and math doesn’t go.” Oh, it goes. Trust me. It goes.

As the end credits rolled: “I liked the computer graphics, the animal creature. I liked to see Mike Dopud in the episode very much. I liked scientist doing sneaky thing. I’m chotto sad the fact Patrick’s love situation. So he’s still single?” And: “I liked as much as Time. Easier to understand.”

COMMON DESCENT

Akemi found this episode a bit of a head-spinner. ”Very confusing. Robert Cooper’s episodes always so complicated.” I prefer “complex”.

She had another question I didn’t have the answer to – as it turns out, a question I had at the time that I never got an answer to either: “What is the answer to question at beginning of episode about fruit? Good for women and don’t want to tell male? What is that? Maybe if you eat it you don’t get pimple? Something like that?” Yes, something like that I imagine.

EPILOGUE

Akemi found this episode quite touching: “So sad episode. Everybody so old looking.” In particular: “I find very sad. Very super old Young. Old Young’s life seems very sad for me.”

And Varro’s heroics weren’t lost on her. After he saves T.J. from plummeting by catching her, then swinging her to safety: “I liked that Mike Dopud helped her. So cool. Coolcoolcool.”

BLOCKADE

She was very impressed with the visual effects in this episode, one sequence even prompting a bewildered: “How to do that?”

Highlights included: “And I find set is so cool too. And Mike Dopud. Bazooka! I liked it!”

She did have some questions about Park’s ability to get out of the pool and reach the exit despite her lack of sight: “If she can’t see, how she’s able to reach the door?”

But her closing remarks were reserved, not for this episode, but the upcoming finale: “Wow. Very interesting. How to end? I don’t think they make it back to Earth. So I feel like not happy ending. Depending on the ending, I may not like the season.” How’s that for pressure? ”I’m investing for a happy ending. If not happy ending, my boyfriend have to tell me the story every night to give me a happy ending.” I referred her to THIS blog entry: May 12, 2011: Stargate: Universe, Beyond Season 2! What Might Have Been!

GAUNTLET

Finally! The finale! I feared she would hate it since there is no happy ending. Instead, we leave Destiny with the crew in stasis and Eli alone on the bridge, with two weeks to fix the damaged pod and save his life. Her response?

“I LIKED IT! Kind of happy ending. Nobody die. Three years.” And, doing the math: “So supposed to be this year!”

She loved the spectacular visual effects, the destruction of the command ships in particular, but still found the episode bittersweet: “I really feel sorry for her, the blind girl. Daisy? Lisa? So sad about her and Jamil.”

“I liked it. Happy ending. At least they figured out the possibility to survive.”

Yes, presumably the Destiny crew is out there, somewhere, drifting, perhaps only years away from waking up once again and continuing their adventures.

NEXT UP: Stargate Atlantis! Who wants to take part in the official re-watch?!

We’ll kick things off, viewing an episode a day starting Friday, January 31st with the series premiere: Rising I. And we’ll continue through the show’s full five season run – provided Akemi remains onboard! Who’s in?!
            sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...watch-express/

January 29, 2014

Videos: The Monuments Men trailer, Robocop trailer, Pompeii trailer, Non-Stop trailer

Photos: The Monuments Men, Robocop, Pompeii, Non-Stop, Stargate: Atlantis

THE MONUMENTS MEN

Release Date: February 7, 2014

What it’s about: The true story of a special platoon entrusted with the task of safeguarding art during WWII.

What it’s got working for it: Based on a true story. And the trailer looks very promising.

What’s it’s got going against it: These “all star cast” affairs tend to be big, bloated big screen disappointments.

ROBOCOP

Release Date: February 12, 2014

What it’s about: A critically-injured soldier is turned into a cybernetic officer of the law.

What it’s got working for it: Hopefully it’ll be as good as the original with the added bonus of better visual effects.

What’s it’s got going against it: The original was pretty good. Is this reboot necessary?

POMPEII

Release Date: February 21, 2014

What it’s about: A gladiator battles to save the woman he loves against the backdrop of one of history’s greatest natural disasters.

What it’s got working for it: Starring Kit Harrington from Game of Thrones. He’s good. Also dazzling visual effects.

What’s it’s got going against it: Trying to capture that Gladiator gold. But will they end up with another leaden Troy?

NON-STOP

Release Date: February 24, 2014

What it’s about: A U.S. Air Marshal on a transatlantic flight receives a message demanding the U.S. government deposit $150 million dollars in an offshore account. If not, a passenger will be killed every 20 minutes.

What it’s got working for it: A fascinating premise. I’d love to see how they pull it off.

What’s it’s got going against it: IF they pull it off.

This Friday, we begin our Stargate: Atlantis re-watch with the series premiere, Rising I, continuing with an episode a day screening, all the way through to the series finale. I’ll follow-up each viewing with some (no doubt) fond recollections of the individual episodes and perhaps offer some interesting insights – provided I can actually remember anything. If you’d like to join our viewing marathon -

Great! Watch Rising I Friday and then drop by this blog Saturday with something to say. Loved it? Hated it? Have a question? I’ll do my best to answer your burning questions!
              sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...he-month-club/

January 30, 2014

Videos: A Fantastic Fear of Everything trailer, After the Dark trailer, Kids for Cash trailer, Welcome to the Jungle trailer, The Returned trailer, The Wind Rises trailer, The Bag Man trailer, Stalingrad trailer, Welcome to Yesterday trailer

Photos: A Fantastic Fear of Everything, After the Dark, Kids for Cash, Welcome to the Jungle, The Returned, The Wind Rises, The Bag Man, Stalingrad, Welcome to Yesterday, Stargate: Atlantis, Terms of Enlistment by Marko Kloos

A FANTASTIC FEAR OF EVERYTHING

What it’s about: A former children’s author seemingly loses his mind.

What it’s got working for it: It’s certainly unique and inventive-looking.

What’s it’s got going against it: Pegg’s movies are hit or miss. Even going off the trailer, it’s hard to say what to make of this one.

AFTER THE DARK

What it’s about: Twenty college students must ten of them get to ride out the coming apocalypse in a bomb shelter.

What it’s got working for it: It’s like Survivor except that the eliminated contestants die.

What’s it’s got going against it: Uh, I’m not exactly sure what’s going on in the trailer. Is it real? An exercise? An exercise that turns out to be real? Or – WORSE OF ALL – reality that actually turns out to be an exercise all along? I’m going to go with the latter.

KIDS FOR CASH

What it’s about: Did a small town judge paid off to sentence kids to juvenile prison?

What it’s got working for it: A fascinating true-life account.

What’s it’s got going against it: A potentially inconclusive conclusion.

WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE

What it’s about: A corporate retreat goes horribly (hilariously?) wrong.

What it’s got working for it: Some very funny people.

What’s it’s got going against it: And some unintentionally funny people as well. Jean-Claude Van Damme? Comedic genius?

THE RETURNED

Release Date: February 14, 2014

What it’s about: A cure for zombie-ism creates moral and ethical issues. Also, lots of killing.

What it’s got working for it: An interesting take on the zombie genre.

What’s it’s got going against it: Some of the performances in that trailer are even more horrific than the walking dead.

THE WIND RISES

Release Date: February 21, 2014

What it’s about: The major events of 20th century Japan as experienced by an idealist young Engineer.

What it’s got working for it: Miyazaki makes beautiful movies.

What’s it’s got going against it: Sometimes, however, the stories leave a little to be desired. Loved Totoro, Castle in the Sky, and Spirited Away. Not so much Ponyo or Howl’s Moving Castle.

THE BAG MAN

Release Date: February 28, 2014

What it’s about: A tough guy get more than he bargained for when he agrees to deliver a mysterious bag for a powerful mobster.

What it’s got working for it: Its coming across as a more accessible David Lynch movie.

What’s it’s got going against it: At times, it looks downright silly. And not good silly. If there is such a thing.

STALINGRAD

What it’s about: The battle of Stalingrad.

What it’s got working for it: It looks epic.

What’s it’s got going against it: The fact that its subtitled and may turn off the average film-goer.

WELCOME TO YESTERDAY

What it’s about: A group of teenagers build themselves a time machine.

What it’s got working for it: I love a good time travel story.

What’s it’s got going against it: And absolutely despise the bad ones.

A gentle reminder that our Stargate: Atlantis re-watch kicks off tomorrow, January 31st, with the opener that started it all: Rising I. Watch tomorrow, then be prepared to discuss on Saturday. I WILL be checking to make sure everybody did their homework!

And another gentle reminder that our Book of the Month Club returns with a discussion, Monday March 3rd, of Marko Kloos’s Terms of Enlistment. That’s over a month away so there’s no excuse for not participating!
                sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...-the-stargate/

January 31, 2014

Photos: Vancouver Hot Chocolate Festival, Stargate: Atlantis

Catching up on our tour of the ongoing Vancouver Hot Chocolate Festival. Today, a couple of three-way throwdowns and a few surprises.

Round #10...

The Proposition: Eggnog and Rum Hot Chocolate with Cinnamon. Served with your choice of cookie.

Available at: Koko Monk, 1849 West 1st Avenue, Vancouver

LevniKokoMonk

Ah, one sip and I was instantly transported. It was Christmas all over again. Alas, we didn’t receive the promised cookie, but we were so full after a big dinner, we hardly missed it.

Phaun’s Fancy: Made from 64% dark chocolate with parmesan and fresh nutmeg. Served with a side of Umami No. 5 fudge

Available: At Cocoa Nymph 3739 W. 10th Ave (at Alma), Vancouver

www.cocoanymph.co

My first response to reading the description was: “Chocolate and parmesan? No.” But after tasting it: “Yes!”. It was the exact same reaction I had to one of Cocoa Nymph’s 2013 Hot Chocolate Festival entries that combined dark chocolate with basil and balsamic to create what turned out to be one of my Top 5 Fest Favorites. In this case, the scent of the parmesan wafts up off the cup but, when you sip it, it’s all chocolate up front with just a wisp of lingering sharpness at the back. It was reminiscent of the sweet and savory marriage of bacon and caramel. At first blush, you don’t think it will work but it does. And it’s delicious. Really! Special mention should be made of the Umami No. 5 fudge that accompanied the hot chocolate. If it was on the regular shop menu, I’d buy it by the box.

Passionista: Fresh passion fruit-infused hot chocolate with Grand Marnier chantilly. Served with passion fruit pate de fruit.

Available at: Thomas Haas, 2539 West Broadway, Vancouver.

http://www.thomashaas.com/

This one was Akemi’s favorite of the six we sampled over this three-day span. It packs a passionfruit punch without overwhelming the chocolate. A lovely balance. And that Grand Marnier chantilly? Killer!

Verdict: On paper, it would have been a toss-up between the two runners-up. But in the all important taste-off, I have to go with a most unlikely winner…

Winner: Phaun’s Fancy (Cocoa Nymph)

The Brunette Bangle: Hot Chocolate with the exotic hint of curry. Served with your choice of cookie.

Available at: Koko Monk, 1849 West 1st Avenue, Vancouver

LevniKokoMonk

A very nice sipping chocolate with a hint of lingering spice. Another unique yet surprisingly good entry.

The Intimate Act: Milk Chocolate with passionfruit. Served with a hazelnut cookie.

Available at: Beaucoup Bakery 2150 Fir Street (in Kitsilano)

www.beaucoupbakery.com/

A subtle drink with an excellent passionfruit flavor that shines although the chocolate is strangely muted here.

The Campfire: A classic hot chocolate, only with smoky caramel, smoked Hawaiian sea salt. Served with vanilla marshmallows.

Available at: Thomas Haas, 2539 West Broadway, Vancouver.

http://www.thomashaas.com/

One of the best combinations of sweet and savory so far. The vanilla marshmallow, lightly studded with smoked Hawaiian sea salt, was fabulous.

Verdict: Another tough call, but if I had to choose one…

Winner: The Campfire (Thomas Haas)

27 flavors down! 35 to go!

Everyone prepared to trek off to the Pegasus Galaxy one more time? Hope so because our Stargate: Atlantis rematch kicks off today with the episode that started it all: Rising I. Watch it today and come armed with your insights, accolades, critiques, and questions tomorrow! Also, be prepared for Akemi’s unique take on the show as I relay her thoughts on the episode in tomorrow’s blog entry. Yes, it’s Rising I: The Japanese Girlfriend Review!
                  sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...antis-rewatch/

February 1, 2014

Photos: Vancouver Hot Chocolate Festival, Stargate: Atlantis

“You must be so sick of hot chocolate by now,”said my buddy Ivon. Sick of hot chocolate?! I can’t afford to be sick! I’ve only reached the halfway mark of my hot chocolate marathon, my bid to sample all 62-ish flavors being offered as part of this year’s Hot Chocolate Festival.

Round #12...

Twisted Romance: You’ll go gaga over hot chocolate made with Aussie natural black licorice. Served with chocolate-dipped natural black licorice.

Available at: Gem Chocolates 2029 West 41st Avenue, Vancouver.

www.gemchocolates.ca

The chocolate-dipped natural black liquorice that accompanied this drink was VERY strong. I couldn’t finish it. The hot chocolate, in contrast, was actually quite subtle. Chocolate was the predominant flavor with a hint of the black licorice. Unless, of course, you actually ate the licorice bits that studded the whipped cream topping.

Beyond the Milky Way: Valrhona Araguani dark chocolate (72%), pear and almond milk (dairy free). Served with “Marocaine” (almond flour ball flavoured with orange blossom water (dairy free).

Available: French Made Baking 81 Kingsway, Vancouver

http://frenchmadebaking.com

Another surprisingly subtle entry. Neither the pear nor the dark chocolate was particularly pronounced, but the flavor of almond milk was unmistakable. The drink was possessed of a delightfully mellow, smooth and creamy texture. Akemi quite enjoyed the Marocaine that accompanied our hot chocolate. I’m not sure why we were served it in a take-out cup since we’d ordered it “for here”.

Verdict: This one was tough. Both were fine. By the slimmest of margins…

Winner: Beyond the Milky Way (French Made Baking)

Round #13...

Winter Citrus: Take a trip to Seville with this hot chocolate flavoured with orange blossom. Served with a citrus marshmallow.

Available at: Last Crumb Cafe, 3080 Main Street (Main and East 15th), Vancouver.

thelastcrumb

I liked the lingering aftertaste of the slightly bitter orange essence, but Akemi found it almost medicinal and reminiscent of the orange-flavored medicine she used to take as a child. The hot chocolate was very sweet and didn’t really offer a counterpoint to the equally sweet marshmallow.

Chocolat Glacé a la Cardamome: Cardamom flavoured iced drinking chocolate. Served with a Gaufre de Liège waffle, along with a side of fleur de sel caramel or chocolate hazelnut spread.

Available at: Chocolaterie de la Nouvelle France, 198 East 21st Ave., Vancouver, B.C.

Something a little different – a chilled chocolate drink with a hint of cardamom. Although I preferred the coconut version I had last week, I thought this drinking chocolate was very good. And the accompanying waffle, with a side of fleur de del caramel, terrific.

Verdict: Even setting aside the waffle, I have to go with…

Winner: Chocolat Glacé a la Cardamome (Chocolaterie de la Nouvelle France)

Alright. Last night marked the start of our Stargate: Atlantis rematch – and Akemi’s first time watch of the classic SF series. So, what did she think?

Within the first five minutes (Ancients, Atlantis leaves Earth, the present-day scientists are working at the newly discovered base, talk of the Ancient gene): “I’m confused.”

I gave her a brief primer which she seemed to understand – or, at the very least, pretended to understand because she grew tired listening to the explanation.

She found the visual effects good at parts, okay in others, and was impressed with the size of some of the sets: “I find the place humongous!”

Alas, she didn’t instantly warm to our heroes. With the exception of Dr. Carson Beckett who she loved from the get-go. She found him as charming as his accent – which, I informed her was Scottish, much to her surprise: “Oh. I thought he was Italian!”.

A somewhat reserved response to our hero, John Sheppard, who she didn’t find as dashing as either Daniel Jackson or General O’Neill (or the greatly missed Eli Wallace) and who – I had to break the bad news to her – would not be heading off on the expedition. And later, when John meets Teyla for the first time: “He is playboy.” And she didn’t seem to mean it in a good way.

As the expedition prepared to head off to parts unknown, I asked her if she would join them if presented with the opportunity. ”Depend on who with,”she answered. When I told her that, quite obviously, she’d be traveling with the expedition members we’d been introduced to, her answer was a definite: “No.”

Later in the episode, when Colonel Sumner’s team encounters off-world humans – who speak perfect English no less: “They speak English?!: Then: “Perfect English.” And: “Better than me!”

After the episode ended, it was clear she wasn’t as enthusiastic as she’d been after the conclusion of Air I, but she was keeping an open mind: “Need time to get to like characters.” And some time to get used to the new series: “Different concept. Visiting planets and visitors.”

Overall: “It’s a bit old compared to SGU. Not just because of computer graphic but fashion, hair style.”

On the look of the Destiny vs. Atlantis: “SGU seems more alienish. This one looks more like Tokyo Disneyland attraction.”

And finally, almost apologetically: “I don’t know. Maybe I don’t love it.” Well, let’s give it some time. I’m sure it’ll grow on her.

As for me, it was great rewatching the pilot although, coming back at it fresh, I can see exactly what would have appealed to long-time Stargate fans – and, on the other hand, turned off potential new viewers. In brief: “Ancients, Ancient gene, English-speaking human aliens”. I did a brief walk-down-memory-lane write-up on the opening two-parter a couple of years ago:

June 7, 2012: Day of Stargate Past – Atlantis, Rising I and II

- highlighted by memories of the “new and improved” gate, theories regarding O’Neill’s reluctance to allow Daniel to join the expedition, and the ridiculous hat worn by one actor during an audition.

Rewatching the episode also brought back memories of one of the biggest bones of contention early in the show’s run. No, not a creative issue. A hair issue. Specifically, Teyla’s hair which engendered some ferocious criticism from the get-go. The debatee was heated – and didn’t get resolved until episodes later. Really.

So, what did you all think?

Tomorrow, we move on to Rising II. I’ll be posting Akemi’s review of the episode -

As well as my Superbowl prediction!

Today’s entry is dedicated to blog regulars – and birthday celebrants – Ganymede and Mamasue9!
                    sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...ith-rising-ii/

February 2, 2014

Photo: Stargate: Atlantis

Who is going to win Superbowl XLVIII (a.k.a. Superbowl Extra Large 8)? Got your pick? Well, so does Madden 25, EA’s football-based video game that predicts the Broncos beating Seahawks in overtime, 31-28:

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged...144805173.html

So what? So what if a computer simulation says the Denver Broncos will be hoisting the Vince Lombardi trophy in New York this Sunday (or maybe some other day, depending on the weather?). Well, perhaps for no other reason than the fact that this particular video game has correctly called the winner of eight of the last ten Superbowls. As any compulsive gambler will tell, that’s mighty impressive.

But before you Broncos fan start celebrating the early victory, it seems like another, equally efficient, computer simulation has picked the Seahawks to beat the Broncos 24-21:

COMPUTER: Seahawks will Beat Broncos 24-21…

So what? So what if some OTHER computer says the Seattle Seahawks will be the ones making Disney World plans on Sunday given that Madden NFL Football has an 80% accuracy rate in predicting Superbowl Winners since it started running its annual simulations? Well, because the Prediction Machine’s Predictalator ran over 50 000 simulations of the game which saw the Seahawks win 54.8% of the time to the Broncos 45.2% with a most common score of 24-21 Seattle. Also: ““Since Week 2 of the NFL season, the Predictalator’s projected Super Bowl every week was Denver vs. Seattle.”

Also, this ape is picking the Seahawks to win: APE: SEAHAWKS To Win…

So what? It’s just an ape! Well, this ape has correctly predicted the last six Superbowl winners.

Whichever way this game goes, there’s no denying that Superbowl Extra Large 8 pits the two best teams in the National Football League (Sorry, 49er fan), the first time this has happened in recent memory. It’s the high-flying offensively minded Denver Broncos versus the tenacious defensive-minded Seattle Seahawks! Who’ll come out on top?

Well, to be honest, despite the fact that these ARE the two best teams in the NFL meeting in the championship, I don’t have a whole lot of love for either team. Still, it could have been worse. We could have had a Patriots vs. 49ers Superbowl I would have had little or no interesting in watching. No, at the very least, this one offers a terrific match-up with plenty of drama, both on and off the field. Which is why I’ll be going with…

The Seattle Seahawks. Why? Mainly because I was so annoyed by the self-righteous indignation that followed cornerback Richard Sherman’s post-game interview after Seattle’s victory over San Francisco I feel it only right the Seahawks should win. Yes, I’m not so much rooting for the Seahawks as I am rooting against everyone who expressed dismay because their feelings were hurt by what Sherman said after the NFC Championship game. ”That player was so mean to that other player. I hope he loses!”. Really? Is this your first time watching professional sports? Do you imagine the pleasantries exchanged between opposing players during the heat of the game running something like this:

Crabtree: I say, old boy. Do you mind if I race by you enroute to a touchdown?

Sherman: Apologies, my good man. I simply cannot allow it.

Crabtree: I’m afraid I’ll have to insist.

Sherman: It just won’t do.

Crabtree: I suppose we’ll have to agree to disagree.

Sherman: Alrighty then. Best of luck to you.

Crabtree: And you, sir.

If so, you have every right to be upset. But no right to watch professional sports ever again. Your football-viewing privileges have been revoked. This Sunday, kindly busy yourselves with alternate pursuits like purchasing new throw pillows for the guest bedroom or penning a firm but polite letter to the editor objecting to his use of the word “hell” in a non-religious context.

Anyway, I’m sure it’ll be a close game, but you know what they say: “Offense wins game, but defense wins championships”. And Seattle has the better D.

SEATTLE SEAHAWKS 34 DENVER BRONCOS 24

Continuing our Stargate: Atlantis rewatch. Akemi’s thoughts on Rising II...

After viewing Rising II, I can say that she is definitely warming up to the show. Well, maybe “warming up” is not the right term. More “thawing out”. The show’s dated elements (she keeps referring to “hairstyles and fashion” which, I suspect, actually means “Weir’s hairstyle and fashion”) are clearly the biggest stumbling block to her enjoyment. Still, she is enjoying “the computer graphics” which still stand up for the most part.

She enjoyed the second half of the two-part opener more than the first and was surprised by Sumner’s death: “I was surprised the fact Colonel Sanders died so quickly. I thought Colonel very important position.” Fear not. Plenty more where he came from.

On the other characters...

Beckett: “I like Beckett. I find very cute.”

McKay, who she actually cited as one of her favorites by episode’s end: “Always complaining, like Italian-Canadian people. But I like it.”

Teyla: “She looks like Beyonce.”

Ford: “Not sure about lieutenant Ford. Good.”

Weir: “She looks just so old-fashioned for me.”

Sheppard: “He is cool, but I don’t know. I liked Eli a lot. Eli is more likeable. I don’t like super strong main character.”

Overall: “This [show] is more easier to predict what happens. SGU is more surprising. But so far, just two episodes.”

For my part, I quite enjoyed my rewatch of Rising II. Loved the city rising up out of the ocean, the puddle jumper vs. dart sequence, the wraith queen’s creepy/dramatic entrance.

A couple of years ago, I offered a little insight into some of the show evolving elements, first introduced in this two parter – among them: wraith mind tricks, wraith killability, and that lovable scamp Jinto...

June 7, 2012: Day of Stargate Past – Atlantis, Rising I and II

Another evolving element was the wraith cells that went from magically retractable doors to the plain rising/falling/sliding doors of later episodes. Why the change? Well, let’s chalk this one up to “It seemed like a good idea at the time.” The retractable, web like doors looked great in the opener but, in hindsight, were an unnecessary expense – a visual effects shot every time the wraith opened and closed a cell! That’s money that could have been put to better use, like, say, a stun blast or extra coconut cake on the lunch truck.

So, what did you all think?

Randomness writes: “In your opinion, why do you think Jack was so eager for John to go to Atlantis? Do you think he saw potential in John or do you think it may also be because he knew John had the ATA gene, and had a somewhat questionable history and thought perhaps with all this combined it was the best choice for him?”

Answer: I think that Jack saw a lot of himself in John Sheppard – brash, a bit of a loose cannon. Perhaps he realized that, by joining the Atlantis expedition, Sheppard would have the opportunity to actualize his potential…much like Jack did after heading up SG-1.

Bailey writes: “ Just a thought, do you think knowing some details about the people behind the scenes from what you have told her has any influence on how she perceives the characters in both SGU and SGA?”

Answer: Do you mean did I tell her about the time Jelly ate Michael Shanks’s tuna sandwich? No. She knows nothing about any of the actors outside of their onscreen personas.

fsmn36 writes: “He flirts all day, but always seems strangely taken aback when a woman actually throws themselves at him (because that’s the other thing, John never chases them). Thoughts on that aspect of Sheppard, Joe? Was he meant to be a playboy and I’m merely too protective of him?”

Answer: I don’t think there’s any denying the fact that Sheppard was a bit of a playboy...but more often than not, uh, cooler heads prevailed.
                      sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...hide-and-seek/

February 3, 2014

Videos: Superbowl ads

Whoa. Didn’t see that coming. Well, I kind of did given that I correctly predicted a Seahawks victory (see last blog entry), but I was far too generous in my estimation of the Broncos’ offence (and clearly underestimated the Seattle defense). It wasn’t a great game (unless you’re a Seahawks fan) and those much-ballyhooed Superbowl commercials weren’t all that special either. Alas, being in Canada, we are stuck watching our super-lame Canadian commercials – roughly the same half-dozen replayed ad nauseum – so we didn’t get to see those multi-million dollar ads. Until much later when I hopped online and checked them out. For the most part, highly forgettable. But there were a few winners. The following were my favorites...

NEWCASTLE BROWN ALE

CARMAX

DORITOS

Agree? Disagree? What were your favorites? If they include cloying kids (ie. that Cheerios commercial), then I’m afraid you’re automatically disqualified.

Continuing our Stargate: Atlantis rewatch. Last night, Akemi and I (and, I assume, many of you who are rewatching along with us) checked out the show’s third episode, Hide and Seek. So,what did Akemi think?

Surprisingly, she liked it quite a bit. I say “surprisingly” because, well, compared to the thrilling opening two-parter (Rising I and II), episode #3 was comparatively sedate. Also, the fact that she almost dozed off during the search for Jinto suggested otherwise – but she quickly perked up once the shadow creature appeared. Overall, a mixed bag for her – but one predominantly filled with hazelnuts (her favorites) over pecans (her least favorites): “I liked this episode. Very interesting concept.”

Some of you asked why we’re watching the shows in reverse order. Wouldn’t it make more sense to start with SG-1? Well, yes, but if we started with SG-1, we probably wouldn’t have gotten through the first episode of the franchise. Akemi is highly sensitive to a show’s dated aspects. If it looks old, she just won’t watch it. And that’s why we started with SGU, the last iteration of the franchise that boasted the very best visual effects. Akemi greatly appreciates “computer graphics” and, as we started SGA, I wasn’t sure how the VFX would hold up after so many years. The answer? Judging from Akemi’s reaction, pretty damn fine. She thinks highly enough of SGA’s visual effects in general but has particular praise for the establishing shots of Atlantis on the water: “I love this shot. Beautiful.”

Her lowlight of the episode was (ah, a girl after my own heart) the “stupid kids”, especially the wandering/random-button-pushing Jinto. She couldn’t believe kids that age would be so clueless: “How old are they? They look quite old. Middle high school.” And when I suggested they were just mischievous children playing hide-and-seek: “Did you play this kind of thing in middle high school?” No. I played Dungeons & Dragons. For her part, Akemi played mishievous-less trouble-free dodgeball.

And later, when Jinto visits Ford in the infirmary to apologize, she was positively incensed: “I don’t know why he didn’t angry at that kid. I’d be so angry at the kid.”

While she didn’t like the stupid kid, she DID like McKay – and her appreciation for his character continues to grow. A little humor goes a long way.

As for the other characters...

Beckett: “I find he has charming eyes.”

Sheppard: “I getting to like him.” Sort of like smoked paprika, a spice she was only introduced to when she moved to Canada but enjoys just fine now.

Weir: “Still old-fashioned.”

Teyla: “I think she’s nice. She has nice hair.” Wig!

Overall: “I liked this one better. I find more interesting and also very funny. And getting to know the characters.”

Whoops! Almost forgot. I did do a little write-up on this episode way back when:

June 8, 2012: Dim Sum and Donuts and more Stargate: Atlantis memories!

So, what did you all think of Hide and Seek?

Mailbag:

Carol writes: “If she thinks Atlantis is old fashioned then she’s going to struggle if she ever gets round to SG1…”

Answer: True. If she enjoys Atlantis and wants to check out SG-1, I’ll probably start with season 9.

Maggiemayday writes: “I still have lingering remnants of the flu, so I just slept through a Shrek marathon rather than watch the game.”

Answer: And still clearly feverish. That wasn’t Shrek. That was a homeless man rooting through your backyard.

arcticgoddess writes: “One of the best things about the very first episode that continued later on in the series was the bro-mance between McKay and Beckett. The two of them were awesome together. Many of the best lines were between the two of them. Who made the decision that McKay and Beckett would become friends? It was brilliant.”

Answer: Brad Wright and Robert Cooper established the McKay-Beckett friendship in those early episodes and developed it over the course of the season, writing to the obvious onscreen chemistry between the two Hewlett and McGillion.

Mike from Canada writes: “Does each major character has a bible? How much does it change through out the series?”

Answer: Brad and Robert provided the cast with character breakdowns as well as one on one conversations on where their characters were headed in the show’s first season. Adjustments were made as things progressed of course as Brad and Robert wrote to the show’s (and cast’s) strengths.

Jenny Horn writes: “My favorite line in both episodes is when the bespectacled science guy is in the puddle jumper bay with science guy #2 and says, “Spaceships!”, with an excited demeanor. Very endearing.”

Answer: Yeah. Whatever happened to those nerds?

Jenny Horn also writes: “Now for the music….I’m a musician, a brass player, so I love it when composers use French horns and bass trombones, and all other brass, in their works. I’m sure a lot of the music was electronically produced, but do you know if the theme was performed by a live orchestra?”

Answer: Yes, this was composer Joel Goldsmith at his very best. He was so good at what he did because he truly loved what he did. And, yes, the theme was performed by a live orchestra (in Seattle, if I remember correctly).

Bailey writes: “I don’t quite get comparing Sheppard to Eli though, wasn’t Eli the McKay like character in SGU?”

Answer: It can certainly be argued that all three Stargates were “team” shows. Still, it’s pretty clear that the story is mainly seen through the eyes of a singular main character, one who is a little more grounded than the rest and offers viewers at home the opportunity to live vicariously through this “average Joe’s” experience. Again, one can debate how “average” these protagonists were, but there’s no denying the fact that THEY were the ones audience members connected with most. In SG-1, it was Jack. On Atlantis, it was Sheppard. And, on Atlantis, it was Eli. All three were, to a certain extent, fish out of water amidst the Stargate experts.
                        sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...th-38-minutes/

February 4, 2014

So one of the ads that did air here during the Superbowl was a commercial for McDonalds Canada that seemed to invite questions about the ingredients in their McNuggets:

Pink goop in Chicken McNuggets? McDonald’s Canada answers (Super Bowl XLVIII www.youtube com http://mcdonalds ca/yourquestions Armand R. from Edmonton, Alberta asked: “What are legitimately in mcnuggets is there pink goop?” Here’s our answer: There’s…

For some reason, they chose “pink goop” as an ingredient to publicly refute. Which is fine except the question would really be more applicable to their “beef” products. I didn’t see the answer to that one.

But the commercial did provoke some thought. What DOES go into a chicken McNugget? I wanted to know. So I hopped online to find out:

So What Really Is In A McDonald’s Chicken McNugget? – Rense

“But perhaps the most alarming ingredient in a Chicken McNugget is tertiary butylhydroquinone, or TBHQ, an antioxidant derived from petroleum that is either sprayed directly on the nugget or the inside of the box it comes in to “help preserve freshness.” According to A Consumer’s Dictionary of Food Additives, TBHQ is a form of butane (i.e. lighter fluid) the FDA allows processors to use sparingly in our food…”

25 Ingredients in McDonald’s Chicken McNuggets | Care2 Healthy …

“Dimethylpolysiloxane– used as an anti-foaming agent, this industrial chemical is typically used in caulking and sealants and comes with a list of safety concerns. It’s best reserved for industrial sealants than for food.”

Er, okay McDonalds Canada. Thanks for prompting me to do my own research – and convincing me NOT to eat at McDonalds.

Hey, the Raleigh Chamber of Commerce has invited Michael Vick as a guest speaker for some event called the “Evening of Champions”. Kind of odd given that Michael Vick hasn’t won any championships over the course of his football career. Most recently, he played for the Philadelphia Eagles who backed their way into a division title – on the strength of back-up quarterback Nick Foles’ performance.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_4717230.html

Anyway, I can’t wait to see who they’ve lined up as their next speaker. Might I suggest a reformed serial killer or that Kony guy.

So far, the Greater Raleigh Chamber of Commerce Facebook page has racked up over 1050 comments. And they aint exactly positive: RaleighChamber

Meanwhile, file this one under “You’ve got to be kidding me.” Dog surrendered to high kill animal control because owners are going on vacationexaminer.comUpdate via Pets Connect Us (Facebook): Oso was reclaimed by his owners. The reasons that pets are surrendered to animal control facilities are many…moving, ba Would love to offer this owner a few words.

Last week, I posted a story about Pennie Jekot, the director of The Humane Alliance of Rutherford County, who, it’s been alleged, swiped some poor, elderly couple’s chihuahua. Perhaps this all some innocent misunderstanding on the part of Ms. Jekot? Well, if so, she’s in no hurry to return the dog. Unfortunately for her, a lot of people are pissed off. And getting organized. If you’d like to help the Bring Buddy Back Home cause, check out their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bringbuddybackhome/

Continuing our Stargate Atlantis rewatch with...Thirty-Eight Minutes!

Ouch. Many of the early episodes actually improve with a nostalgic reviewing. This one…not so much. Nevertheless, I kept my mouth shut during the screening so as not to unfairly sway Akemi. As it turned out, it wouldn’t have mattered if I had. She wasn’t a fan. In fact, she was downright bewildered.

Surprisingly, she didn’t bump on the plastic bug latched to Sheppard’s neck for most of the episodes, but she did have a problem with those two filler scenes. The first, the one in which Halling and the Athosians approach Weir regarding some Athosian pre-death ceremony; the second, Kavanaugh’s extended complaint scene with Weir: “Why? What the purpose? It’s like they just want excuse to show she is good commander.” Hmmm.

She also took exception to Sheppard’s poor marksmanship: “He’s not good at shooting. Jamil [SGU's Ronald Greer] is better.”

Again, the episode highlights for her were humorous, both intentional (“I like the cranky guy. Chotto funny. McKay need sugar.”) and unintentional (“When the bug saw him with bug and left him. Adios.”). In fact, her most impassioned response came in the episode tag when the rest of the team visit Sheppard in the infirmary and Teyla walks in wearing a rainbow top. ”WTF is that?!” And then, noticing Weir’s bizarre all-brown (leather? suede? mohair?) ensemble: “WTF IS THAT?!!”.

Overall: “I preferred last night’s episode.” And leave it at that.

For my part, in reviewing the show, one thing stands out for me above all others: the Athosians. Damn, they’re annoying.

Also, Kavanaugh has a point. I mean, consider this: He and a bunch of scientists are in the midst of spinning various scenarios for rescue when he posits the possibility that McKay’s access of the puddle jumper’s systems could initiate an explosion, an explosion that could transfer through the gate. He doesn’t say it’s a certainty, but a possibility. Hell, the scientist he is arguing with doesn’t deny the possibility although he she considers it unlikely. It’s still a possibility. Weir’s response is to dress Kavanaugh down for having the audacity to bring up the potential danger, even going so far as to suggest he did so out of concern for his life over the lives of those trapped in the puddle jumper. Uh, what? If Kavanaugh’s worst case scenario does unfold, he’s going to be one of MANY Atlantis personnel injured or killed by the blast. Also, he wasn’t suggesting they give up on rescue (as Weir intimates), only that they reconsider allowing McKay to poke around at random.

Needless to say, I await tonight’s screening of Suspicion (Paul and my first Atlantis episode – and a heavy Athosian one no less!) like a street fight bracing himself for a baseball bat blow to the head.

Mailbag:

Line Noise writes: “The most memorable scene of Hide and Seek was when Sheppard pushed McKay off the balcony in front of Weir. Weir’s horror and the boyish gleam in Sheppard’s and McKay’s eyes is priceless.”

Answer: Agreed. That was my favorite moment in the episode.

Line Noise also writes: “I think Jinto just needs a mother. What happened to Jinto’s mum?”

Answer: Sadly, she ran off with a traveling hand-held fire-starter salesman.

Line Noise also writes: “What, for that matter, happened to Jinto’s dad’s leg that required him to hop around on crutches? Was that originally in the script or did Christopher Heyerdahl hurt himself and it had to be written into the story?”

Answer: Chris, the actor, suffered an injury prior to filming so Robert Cooper simply wrote it into the script – much like the Daniel appendicitis of SG-1 season 3?s Nemesis.

Deborah Rose writes: “this episode rose above the material. The energy monster was meh, though the way the heroes resolved it was sensible. Loved that Teyla saw what the others took a long time to grasp. Loved the comedy in the episode, especially Sheppard’s evil delight in having shot at McKay. Loved McKay’s growth, in stepping out to be the hero, even knowing the high probability of death. Handled less adroitly, this whole episode would have reeked. But cast and production managed to put together something that was worth watching, and even rewatching.”

Answer: Uh, you appear to be contradicting yourself here. You start off by stating the episode rose above the material (the implication here is “the script) and compliment the cast and production, but everything you lauded (“Loved that Teyla saw what the others took a long time to grasp. Loved the comedy in the episode, especially Sheppard’s evil delight in having shot at McKay. Loved McKay’s growth, in stepping out to be the hero, even knowing the high probability of death.”) was actually scripted.

majorsal writes: “Answer: True. If she enjoys Atlantis and wants to check out SG-1, I’ll probably start with season 9.

you’ve got to be kidding. to me, that’s the *worst* season of the entire sg1 run! come on, joe, let her see the golden and BEST of this series!”

Answer: As I said, if I sat her down to watch SG-1?s first season, she’d probably excuse herself and then secretly hop on the first plane back to Japan. That was a rocky first season with some very rough visual effects.

kabra writes: “We’re commenting on Hide and Seek, correct?? I am a little puzzled by the “force field” that McKay wears. He can pick up,physically wrap his hands around the the coffee mug, but he can not drink from it. How is that?”

Answer: Yes, a very unique force field that doesn’t allow foreign matter to enter the body (i.e. food and drink) with the exception of air. I’ve always wondered about the reverse.

arctic goddess writes: “I also loved McKay’s general hypochondria with fears that he was dying from all sorts of innocuous issues. Who came up with these very interesting personality quirks? Do writers add that to the script, then it is approved or not approved by the producer?”

Answer: On Stargate, the writers WERE the producers, so the steps to approval were very short. McKay’s personality quirks were scripted and developed by Robert Cooper and Brad Wright who based these quirks on certain individuals they worked with in the past.

Randomness writes: “Realistically do you think the Athosians could have settled on Atlantis over the long term? Naturally as the expedition was relatively new to the city, do you think there was some concern that they may press something/do something that may cause trouble(Even accidently), that could have made the team think that perhaps while they get to grips with the city and its functions that the Athosians would be better off elsewhere?”

Answer: Sure, I think that the Athosians could have proven themselves capable enough. But I suspect they would have been no less annoying.

Today’s entry is dedicated to blog regular 2cats. Happy belated birthday!!!
                          sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...-banana-split/

February 5, 2014

Photos: Hot Chocolate, Stargate: Atlantis

Never let it be said I don’t make sacrifices for you blog readers. For the past several weeks, I’ve made the ultimate sacrifice – sampling and reporting on the various (60+) flavors being offered as part of this year’s Vancouver Hot Chocolate festival…so that you can sip and experience vicariously through me. You’re welcome! Today, it’s a David and Goliath battle pitting two new flavors from two previously visited location: Thierry, which served up one of my early festival favorites (The Chocolate Trio), and Bel Cafe that definitely did not (Peppermint Patty). So, how did the two new offerings fair in our head to head taste-off?

The Ampamakia: The base of this hot chocolate is Ampamakia 68% chocolate – a premium chocolate from a special plantation of Valrhona and only available at Thierry. Served with a marshmallow dipped in 80% chocolate.

Available at: Thierry Chocolaterie Patisserie Cafe, 1059 Alberni Street

http://www.thierrychocolates.com/

I have marshmallow-averse (Also allergic to feathers apparently) so the chocolate-covered sweet sponges didn’t sway me – although Akemi is a fan and loved them. It was all about the hot chocolate and, once again, Thierry delivers a wonderful cup. Very good – but not as good as their Trio of Chocolate.

Banana Split: Made from 36% Valrhona Caramelia chocolate and topped with walnut marshmallows. Served with banana pound cake.

Available at: Bel Cafe, 801 West Georgia Street @ Howe (at the Rosewood Hotel Georgia)

http://www.belcafe.com/

I loved the Banana Split as passionately as I disliked the Peppermint Patty. The banana bread was good (although I prefer the Bella Gelateria/Erin Ireland version) and the marshmallow was as fine as a marshmallow could be, but the hot chocolate itself was spectacular. Sweet, silky, and substantial.

Verdict: Close, but the underdog pulls the upset here.

Winner: Banana Split (Bel Cafe).

Continuing our Stargate: Atlantis rewatch with...Suspicion!

Almost every series starts off a little rough before, eventually (hopefully), finding its way. Sure, there are strong elements in those first few episodes, moments that keep you coming back with the promise of bigger and better, but it’s usually further down the broadcast line when THE episode airs, the REALLY GOOD ONE if not the GREAT ONE, the one that makes you shout “I love this show!” and start recommending it to friends. And episode #4, Suspicion...

It aint it. But like the preceding episodes, it has its moments. And Akemi liked it well enough, again because of the humor (McKay rubbing his numb foot received special praise) and those establishing shots of Atlantis on the water. In fact, if we followed this episode up with an episode entirely made up of lingering establishers, I suspect it would prove her reigning favorite.

So, what else did our Japanese Stargate newbie think of Suspicion? Well...

On Bates’ attitude throughout the episode but during the Teyla interview in particular: “Why he so rude? So unprofessional!”

On Weir’s civilian outfit during said interview: “Why she not wearing uniform? Casual Friday?”

On angry Halling: “Jinto is crazy because his father is crazy.”

And when the Athosians decide to leave the city: “Hurray!” Evidently, not a fan.

On the black-clad wraith’s first appearance: “Beautiful hair!”

All in all, not a bad episode in her eyes. In her estimation, better than 38 Minutes but not as good as Hide and Seek. Still, after SGU, she’s having a difficult time adjusting to the shift in tone: “Maybe because of old and dynamic of the shooting scenes but feels like watching a kid’s show. Chotto sad. Anyway, good!”

My past write-up on the episode here offers a little insight into the episode, my writing partner’s failed attempt to come up with lyrics for the theme song, and a rare recorded duet of the SG-1 theme song with lyrics: June 9, 2012: Dark Matter! Comic Con! Days of Stargate Past – Stargate: Atlantis! Suspicion and Childhood’s End!

[Kathode informs me that link to us singing the theme to Stargate: SG-1 no longer works. Try this one instead: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owgOxV1V6Cc]

Mailbag:

Jenny Horn writes: “Jinto should have been about 8 years old. It would have made his antics more believable, and it would made one line from his father far less creepy. It’s the line about nothing being as big as my love for you. Cute when said to an 8 year old. Kinda creepy when said to a kid who looks about 12. My Nephew is 12, so….yeah….”

Answer: YES! When we watched the episode the other night, I remember thinking: “AWKWARD!”.

Majorsal writes: “joe/Answer: As I said, if I sat her down to watch SG-1?s first season, she’d probably excuse herself and then secretly hop on the first plane back to Japan. That was a rocky first season with some very rough visual effects.

what about just showing her a few episodes from each season?”

Answer: No. Again, it has everything to do with the look of the show – and, the visual effects in particular. I think I need to slowly acclimatize her, like a lobster in a pot. I started with SGU and follow with SGA, then SG-1 seasons 9 and 10 and the movies, then SG-1 season 4-8, and finally SG-1 seasons 1-3.

Deborah Rose writes: “Good scripting. But things like the McKay/Sheppard horse playing and many of the other points could have easily crashed, had the actors not pulled it off.”

Answer: Ah, true enough, but the writer scripts the moment imagining the best-case version of what he has written, having full confidence in the actor’s ability to pull it off. And, in this case, it was confidence well placed.

gforce writes: “Update – Brio (the budgie) seems to be doing much better today. I guess he just didn’t want to eat while I was away?”

Answer: Well, great to hear. Separation anxiety maybe?

DP writes: “http://www.deadline.com/2014/02/frem...-drama-series/ Ha! I’d heard Gaiman was working on a script for this. Just because he’s never written a pilot script only makes it MORE likely he’d do it.”

Answer: Don’t know if he’s ever written a pilot script, but Gaiman certainly has scriptwriting experience. In addition to episodes of Dr. Who, his screenwriting credits include Stardust, Beowulf, and Neverwhere.

arctic goddess writes: “As a Stargate writer/producer, were you ever surprised at how popular it was with female viewers?”

Answer: When I first joined the production at the start of SG-1?s fourth season, I was surprised. After all, SF is traditionally seen as a young man’s preferred genre. But it quickly became apparent to me that viewers may initially tune in for the bells and whistles – the action, adventure, dazzling visual effects, the star – but they’ll only come back for one thing: the characters. And, at the end of the day, the show’s characters and relationships seemed to resonate more with female viewers...which is not all that surprising.

skua writes: “Have you seen? Shingeki no Kyojin: Ilse no Techou; Attack on Titan: Ilse’s Journal. OVA”

Answer: Not yet. Is it available on Crunchyroll?
                            sigpic

Comment

For my part, in reviewing the show, one thing stands out for me above all others: the Athosians. Damn, they’re annoying.

Also, Kavanaugh has a point.
                              thank god. Thank god Joe also sees this. I've been rewatching S1 and the whole kavanaugh situation is absurdly forced. And yes, the quality of an episode goes up massively if the athosians are absent.

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...joke-revealed/

February 6, 2014

Photos: Joe's weirdest meal of 2014, Stargate: Atlantis

Yes, I know we’re not even halfway through February, but this meal was so all-fired bizarre that I cannot imagine anything even coming close in the next eleven months. And thus, I declare my dinner at Secret Location = My Weirdest Meal of 2014!

But what, you may ask, made it so weird? Well, allow me to break it down for you. All ten courses:

Fossilized tomato with manchego crumbs

Fossilized? Let me look that up. Oh, thanks dictionary.com:
                                fos·sil·ize

[fos-uh-lahyz] Show IPA
                                verb (used with object), fos·sil·ized, fos·sil·iz·ing.

1. Geology . to convert into a fossil; replace organic with mineral substances in the remains of anorganism.
                                2. to change as if into mere lifeless remains or traces of the past.
                                3. to make rigidly antiquated: Time has fossilized such methods.

Let’s go with…3?

Texturally odd but nevertheless tasty. I wish we’d been given a spoon we could have used to scoop up the cheese crumbs.

Ostrich floss with mostarda

Well, okay, I’ll take your word for it. For all I knew it could have been bison, chipmunk, or a leather instep, dehydrated and stripped. Again, texturally interesting but there wasn’t much distinctiveness outside of the sweet mostarda.

Ostrich dumplings

I believe the waitress said this was ostrich neck (which, I’m guessing, comprises approximately 60% of an ostrich). It lay nestled within a deep-fried and starchy vegetable (potato?) and crusted with I’m not sure what. This one, less texturally interesting with muted flavors.

Abalone salad and buddha’s hand

Ah, now we’re on to something. Small but tasty, this marked the first (and quite possibly last) time I’ve ever eaten Buddha’s hand, a fragrant fruit that I suspect is about as popular a salad component as it is a Halloween ornament.

White asparagus with egg yolk textures

Those egg yolk textures being creamy fruit roll-up like. Good but the egg yolk elements felt more like a distraction. The white asparagus were very good though.

Brown rice crusted sweet breads with vanilla jus

Hells yes! One of my fellow diners called this Kentucky Fried Sweetbreads with good reason. Probably not the kitchen’s intent, but it was spectacular nevertheless. The accompanying rapini offered a nice bitter element to contrast the (odd) vanilla jus. The plate of the night!

Tea infused squab with tobacco chocolate jus

Qu’est ce que c’est ce “squab”? Well, remember the opening scene in Blade Runner. The one in which Leon is being interviewed? It goes something like this:

Holden: You look down and see a squab, Leon. It’s sitting in front of you.

Leon: Squab? What’s that?

Holden: You know what a pigeon is?

Leon: Of course!

Holden: Same thing.

More or less. So, yes, one of them “eatin’ pigeons”. And, yes, they’re supposed to be served medium-rare.

All in all, a very good dish – but the Kentucky Fried Sweetbreads are a tough act to follow.

Cardamon and tangerine

Palate cleanser. This would have been better served following the final course.

Secret tea party: guava hibiscus tea ganache, tea meringue, lychee gel, and rose sorbet

Everyone else at the table loved this dish and Akemi declared it her favorite of the night. A very inspired plate that, despite my general disdain for a: light desserts, b: fruit-based desserts, and c: deconstructed desserts, I was able to appreciate nevertheless. My only quibble was the rose sorbet that proved rock-hard and near impossible to cut. One of my fellow diner’s attempt to split his in half resulted in his sorbet firing off his place to land at my feet. Careful. You’ll shoot your eye out, kid!

Eggplant wizard: compressed spiced eggplant, puff pastry flakes, liquid rice pudding, and croissant ice cream

If I could, I’d like to make another addition to my disdained dessert list: d) vegetables, in any form, incorporated into a dessert. Seriously. I half-expected the kitchen staff to be secretly watching us, giggling amongst themselves: “Look. Look! He’s actually going to eat it! Damn! I knew we should’ve pushed the apricot pit sorbet.” The eggplant was off-puttingly firm, as if it had been served raw and tossed in sweet syrup. The “liquid rice pudding”, by the way, was actually cauliflower. Worse than I expected.

Continuing our Stargate: Atlantis rewatch with...Childhood’s End!

With the exception of those annoyingly precocious kids (with their – ugh – chocolate-smeared faces), I enjoyed this one on rewatch. And Akemi seemed fairly caught up in the story although, in hindsight, I wonder if it was less a case of her enjoying the episode as it was her trying to figure out what the heck was going on.

Surprisingly, she had little to say about Childhood’s End. On the one hand, she didn’t like Aries who struck her as exceptionally angry (and wore a “stupid hat”); on the other hand, she did like the fact the kids enjoyed chocolate (kindred spirits?). And her appreciation for McKay continues to grow: “McKay was funny. I like him more.”

Overall, she thought it okay although: “Hard to understand the concept thought.”

You can refer to my thoughts on this episode – in which I discuss Martin Gero, wall, and Death Bird Fall From Sky – here:

June 9, 2012: Dark Matter! Comic Con! Days of Stargate Past – Stargate: Atlantis! Suspicion and Childhood’s End!

One other thing I noticed after all this time is that the actor who plays Aries, Dominic Zaprogna, was originally cast as Dr. Boone in Stargate: Universe, appearing in a couple of episodes (Light, Life) before landing the role of Dante Falconeri on General Hospital. Boone disappeared and was replaced by the character of Dr. Caine, played by Tygh Runyan. We ended up slipping a little inside joke into the episode Visitation when, after being greeted by Caine’s voice from the mysteriously-reappearing shuttle, our crew have the following exchange:

ELI: OK, trust me: these aliens built a planet from scratch and can just throw a shuttle between galaxies. I’m pretty sure they could impersonate Caine if they wanted to!

VOLKER: Boone used to do a pretty good Caine.

BRODY: I thought it was the other way around.

Now you know!

Tonight, we watch Poisoning the Well and then we take a break until Monday night when we’ll resume our rewatch with...Underground.

Mailbag:

arctic goddess writes: “This was your and Paul’s first script for Atlantis. Can you walk us through the concept for this episode and how you pitched it to the other writers? Or did you chose it from a group of show ideas?”

Answer: Actually, the idea for the episode (Suspicion) came from freelancer Kerry Glover. Her name appears in the opening where she receives a “Story by” credit. Paul and I took over at the outline stage and ended up writing the script for which we received a “Teleplay by” credit.

Randomness writes: “Do you think had the situation been a lot less desperate that the attitude from some of the officers towards the Athosians may of been different? And maybe they would have been less suspicious?”

Answer: I don’t think desperation had much to do with it. Bates and co. were suspicious because the wraith seemed to know where they were whenever the team went off-world, suggesting they’d somehow been tipped off. In this scenario, the logical assumption would be that someone inside Atlantis was feeding them information about Sheppard’s team.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X