Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joseph Mallozzi's Blog! (SPOILERS For All SG Shows and Dark Matter)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...-old-montreal/

December 29, 2013

Photos: Old Montreal

There were three certainties I could look forward to n every one of my elementary school years:

1. Compulsory phys. ed. class, usually comprised of such sterling athletic pursuits as dodgeball, the parachute, and the trampoline – which yielded one sprained neck, four bruised fingers, a severely broken arm, but no greater appreciation for the sport.

2. A field trip to the Dow Planetarium where, for one gloriously tedious hour, we sat in the dark, some napping, some discussing quietly amongst themselves, some striving to endure the labored astronomy lesson.

3. A field trip to Old Montreal, the city’s quaint historic center with its cobblestone streets and heritage buildings.

To be honest, I was never a fan of any of the above. I found them all incredibly boring, with the exception of gym class which was a little more interesting only insofar as every class held the possibility of serious injury. All grown up now, I’ve discovered a new appreciation for those mainstays of my youth. Well, maybe not the phys. ed. class, the memories of which still make me cringe. And certainly not the Planetarium that, while well-intentioned I’m sure, continues to be the recipient of one of my longest held grudges.

Old Montreal, however, is different. Over the years, I’ve come to love this place. Its unique and beautiful and home to many of the city’s best restaurants (and, to be fair, some of its worst tourist traps). Just last night, I was thinking that if I were to buy a condo outside of Vancouver (say, if I win the lottery or actually get one of my shows green lit – whichever comes first) Old Montreal would be the place.

Also, Vegas and Tokyo.

And possibly Hong Kong and Italy.
    sigpic
    The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...reads-of-2013/

December 30, 2013

Photos: Cookies, dogs, Akemi

Seriously. If I had to narrow down these holidays to a single theme, it would be Cookies & Canines. Okay, technically TWO themes but they do occasionally converge. Like earlier tonight when I came across mom’s dog, Caramel, chewing on a molasses cookie that apparently fell off the kitchen table. Let’s just say that dog demonstrated a “less than festive spirit” when I attempted to divest him of the cookie. Hours later, he’s still riding his sugar high.

So, yes, Cookies & Canines...

As for the dogs...

Caramel – sleeping off his sugar high? And, by the way, who names their male dog Caramel? I can’t blame mom because she adopted him after his former owner surrendered him.

All told, I will have read about 80 books in 2013. Not bad, but down from previous annual averages. I think that part of the problem this year was the fact that I got bogged down in a lot of mediocre reads. Not bad reads – those I’ll just give up on – but middling reads, those books you continue reading in the hopes they’ll improve. Sadly, in almost all cases, they do not.

In order to improve my reading efficiency in 2014, I consulted a bunch of Best of 2013 lists, read the reviews, studied the synopses, consulted the covers, and eventually distilled the titles down to 25 Maybe-Must-Reads:

Ancillary Justice – Ann Leckie
      The Interestings – Meg Woltizer
      League of Denial – Mark Fainaru-Wada
      The Circle – Dave Eggers
      Tenth of December – George Saunders
      Super Graphics – Tim Leong
      A Tale for the Time Being – Ruth Ozeki
      Gorgeous – Paul Rudnick
      Life After Life – Kate Atkinson
      Nexus – Ramez Naam
      NOS4A2 – Joe Hill
      Neptune’s Brood – Charles Stross
      Brilliance – Marcus Sakey
      Dogtripping – David Rosenfelt
      Vampires in the Lemon Grove – Karen Russell
      The Ocean at the End of the Lane – Neil Gaiman
      The Goldfinch – Donna Tartt
      The Isle of Youth – Laura Van Den Berg
      Love Minus Eighty – Will McIntosh
      On Looking – Alexandra Horowitz
      This Explains Everything – John Brockman
      Time Warped – Claudia Hammond
      Anything That Moves – Dana Goodyear
      Schroder – Amity Gaige
      Lives of Tao – Lesley Chu

Familiar with any of the above titles? Are there any you’d recommend? Any you’d advise me to steer clear of?

Better yet, what were YOUR Top Reads of 2013?
      sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...ear-in-review/

December 31, 2013

Photos: Blog stats

Another year, another 365 days of blogging, bringing the grand totals to:

2 625 posts!

140 000+ comments!

And 10 000 000+ all-time views!

Among other interesting stats compliments of WordPress:

On to our annual countdown of this blog’s most prolific commenters.
        Who were they?

Well, counting down the Top 5 of 2013:

DP, congratulations on making the Top 5. However, with 104 less comments posted than in 2012, you’ve fallen from the fourth to fifth spot!

Randomness, welcome back! And welcome to your first Top 5 showing!

Ponytail, only 14 comments off 2013?s torrid pace, but it’s enough to slip you out of the #2 spot!

Tam Dixon, with 44 more comments than you posted in 2012, you’ve climbed up and secured a place at #2!

And, finally, 2013?s top commenter…and reigning champion…

dasndanger, running away with it for a second year in a row. And, this year, it wasn’t even close! Das, you improved on your 2012 showing by a remarkable +204 comments! Congratulations!

And thanks to everyone who has taken the time to post, read, or simply visit this blog anonymously. Over ten million visits is spectacularly impressive – especially when you consider I’m retroactively charging everyone $10 for each one.

To save me the time of having to process each individual payment, please get together and coordinate amongst yourselves, then forward me a check for $100 million at your earliest convenience. Thanks!

Big happenings await in 2014!
        sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...worst-of-2013/

January 1, 2014

Photos: Various pics

Yep, that’s about how I felt this morning following last night’s raucuous New Year’s Eve celebration. Our guests were prompt, arriving by 7:30 p.m., as requested (or we were eating without ‘em). We had dinner, dessert, did the dishes and were done just in time for…10:00 p.m.! We still had TWO HOURS to kill! Now I’ve never run an Ironman Marathon but I’m pretty sure those two hours were akin to participating in one but with less swimming and biking and more meandering anecdotes and orange-flavored Grand Marnier.

Parents, please consult this handy guide to proper child care: http://funkypickens.com/how-to-be-a-parent/

It’s also a useful resource for non-parents as well. For instance, I found a few of these tips particularly informative:

As we look forward dot 2014, let’s look back on the mistakes of 2013 with these Worst of Lists:

The worst TV of 2013 · The A.V. Club

“Worst suicide attempt: Maya Lewis, Scandal
          Scandal took gore up a notch when Olivia Pope’s mother, played by Khandi Alexander, ate her own wrists to get transferred from her high-security cell to an infirmary, allowing for her easy escape.”

The 15 worst films of 2013

“4. Man Of Steel
          One of the most hilariously pretentious scenes in Christopher Nolan’s The Dark Knight Rises was the football stadium apocalypse, which was scored to a boy soprano singing “The Star-Spangled Banner.” Zack Snyder’s Man Of Steel sustains that same level of pomposity over 143 interminable minutes.”

The Worst Video Games of 2013 – Forbes

”Ride to Hell: Retribution is a spectacular monument to failure. If failure were Paris, Ride to Hell would be the Arc de Triomphe…”

Entertainment’s worst moments of 2013 | Toronto Star

“Harlem Shake: The backlash started in March. But the damage was already done. By early February, the Harlem Shake was a meme, a retina-singeing, eardrum-detonating series of copycat videos that proved talent was not a strict condition of popularity in 2013.”

The 5 Worst Toys of 2013 | Fast Company | Business + Innovation

The 20 Worst People of 2013 – Village Voice Blogs

“The bank held the mortgage on his Hermosa Beach, California condo. Unfortunately for Larry, Wells Fargo mistook him for another customer, who happened to owe thirteen grand in back taxes. Despite his protests, it doubled Larry’s mortgage to pay off the non-existent taxes. He quickly fell behind.

At some point, Wells Fargo discovered it had confused Larry with another resident of his complex. But the company foreclosed on him anyway.

Being a banker means never having to say you’re sorry. And you get to take people’s homes. It’s a win-win situation.

Larry lost his condo and was forced into assisted living.”

Horovitz: 5 worst ads of 2013 more than stank – USA Today

The worst social media blunders of 2013 | New York Post

The 39 Worst Words, Phrases, and Parts of Speech of 2013 | Mother …

“Donald Trump is considering a run for…” No, he’s not. He just isn’t. And if you’d like to get him unearned publicity, you should at least get some stock options out of it.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifest...y.html#photo=2

“ ‘Results’ before the ‘election’

An election app released by the Central Asian nation of Azerbaijan had the incumbent president leading — a full day before the October vote. The partial “results,” blamed by the government on a errant test of the online app, showing hypothetical results from one district, had President Ilham Aliyev winning in a landslide. And he did.”

20 worst rap lyrics of 2013 – AUX.tv

Viral Internet Trends: Worst Internet Trends Of 2013 – MensXP.com

America’s Worst Charities – Tampa Bay Times
          sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...akes-cupcakes/

January 2, 2014

Photos: Jazzycakes Cupcakes, Phil, Phil's daughter

No sooner do I finally get used to writing “2013? in the blog title instead of “2o12? than I have to start writing “2014?. 2014! It just feels like yesterday the world was supposed to end – back in 2012. Or at the end of 1999. I’ve got to stop selling off my worldly possessions and accept the fact that armageddon is NOT around the corner. Of course, I say that now and, two months down the line when the world ends, I’ll be the guy with egg all over my face. And all of my worldly possessions.

While the apocalypse may not be upon us – yet – I’ve noticed a definite speeding up of my sense of time. It seems the older I get, the quicker the days, weeks, months, even years pass by. My friend Alexander claims this is because when we’re younger, we’re constantly experiencing new things – as opposed to the mundane routine of our later years. New experiences apparently influence our perception of time differently than habitual activity. Trying new things and mixing things up may not, technically, give you a longer life – but it’ll certainly feel that way.

Now I’m a guy who likes his routine, so this is going to be a bit of a challenge, but I’m going to try anyway. I’m going to start injecting a little “different” in every one of my days. I’m not sure how or what, but it’ll be new and interesting and, no doubt, blog-worthy.

Maybe I’ll start a new hobby (for about a month before switching to another so that I don’t want to fall into a routine), or travel somewhere new in completely new ways (backpacking through Yemen?), or a second, third, maybe even a fourth career (hat designer, glassblower, goji juice salesman, ayurveda healer). Have any suggestions for me? Let’s hear ‘em!

Speaking of “the effects of re-experience”, Mike A. posted the following question today: “When you watch a finished episode(as it was aired) of a show you’ve worked on, does being the writer/director/showrunner/EP(or whatever your role on a particular episode might have been) “taint’ your viewing experience somehow? Are you able to watch your show with the same kind of objectivity we do? Logic would dictate no because you already know what’s going to happen. But you’re a smart guy and a definite fan of not only the craft, but the story as well who truly appreciates others’ work when it’s well done. So, that tells me yes. I just think it’d be challenging to watch something you were there for the making of and enjoy it to the same level as a regular viewer. Or, is the finished product(after VFX, sound, editing) far enough removed from what was shot(the first hand/personal experience) that making that psychological distinction is a little easier?”

Answer: It really depends on the episode. Any shortcomings are always magnified, any bad memories certain to taint my enjoyment when I sit down to re-watch something I wrote. It’s very rare I actually sit through one of my episodes and think: “That was great!”. More often than not, it’s “That could have been better!”. There are, however, instances in an episode which will elicit an occasional: “That was great!”. Most recently, the last 15 minutes of Insurrection II.

And, speaking of trying something new like, say, a new business – I met up with my old buddy, Phil, the other day and he informed me that his young daughter had started her very own cupcake company! Out of a desire: 1) to help out my friend’s daughter and 2) for cupcakes, I ordered a half dozen of each, six Coconut Courtneys and six Red Velvet Vickys. I picked them up on my way home from shopping and discovered Phil had surprised me with two extra flavors: a Vanilla Vanessa and a Cookie Dough Carly. Cookie dough! In a cupcake! I couldn’t wait to get back home and try it...

I arrived home to discover my mother entertaining two of her neighbors. ”Offer them some cupcakes!”said my mother in Italian. I opened up the box and set them down on the table offering the first neighbor a choice between: “Coconut or red velvet?”. She chose the red velvet. I then gave the other (more, er, colorful) neighbor the same choice: “Coconut or red velvet?”.

“What’s that?”she asked, pointing to my single cookie dough cupcake (Yes, mine. I’d laid claim the second Phil had told me there was one in the box).

“Cookie dough,”I informed her.

“Cookie dough?”she asked, clearly perplexed. And then: “Okay, I’ll take that.”

“It’s cookie dough,”I attempted to enlighten her. ”RAW cookie dough.”

“Yeah, that’s okay.”

So one neighbor ate the red velvet cupcake, and the other ate my cookie dough cupcake. I consoled myself with a coconut cupcake. And, later, a red velvet cupcake. And the vanilla cupcake. And another coconut cupcake. They were delicious with a perfect cake to frosting ratio! The one neighbor found the red velvet especially good because it wasn’t too sweet. ”Mine was a little sweet,”said the other neighbor.

“Of course it was a little sweet!”I wanted to say. ”It’s filled with cookie dough!!!!”

And, for the record, I love SWEET cookie dough!

Ah, well. Maybe next trip!

Jazzy Cakes – Wix

Today’s blog entry is dedicated to Deni’s grandson, Michael/Anakin in honor of his first birthday!
            sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...anuary-3-2014/

January 3, 2014

Photos: Orange juice, Joe's mom, Joe's sister, Ralphie, Felix, Lawrence, Melanie, Cookie Dough Carly cupcakes

Final day in Montreal. I am Vancouver-bound tonight!

This morning I woke up to this...

My mother used one orange and three tangerines for this single glass and it was delicious. I don’t understand how some breakfast places can get away with calling their orange juice “freshly squeezed” when the taste is so damn different. I can only assume “Freshly Squeezed” is a reference to a brand name.

Last night, mom was watching Murder She Wrote when a commercial came on for one of those assisted living facilities. It featured uplifting interviews with the presumed children of the elderly parents being put away. All seemed very pleased and couldn’t say enough nice things about the place. One woman happily chatted away while, beside her, her mothers sat silently staring off into space, possibly hatching her escape plan. As the ad cut to a montage of seniors “enjoying themselves” (ie. watching television, walking around, talking to each other – all things they no doubt couldn’t do on their own), my mother commented: “And then, when no one’s looking, gli schiaffi incominciano (literally: the slaps begin).” an obvious reference to the accounts of elderly abuse on the part of caregivers. Mom has made it mighty clear that, when the time comes she can’t take care of herself (And I can’t imagine such a time. She turns 80 next month!), she aint going into no “old folk’s home”. In her eyes, fobbing your elderly parents off on a nursing home is a North American thing. In Europe, where many men live with their parents well into their 30?s [More than half of Italian men live with their mums - The Local] and aging parents move in with their married kids, the workings of the family unit are very different.

Whenever we touch on this topic – at least once or twice every time I visit – the conversation inevitably turns to MY future and, specifically, my mother’s concern that I don’t have a senior fallback plan of my own (a.k.a. kids). I keep trying to reassure her that you blog readers are like children to me and that you’ll all be more than happy to bathe me, feed me, and tuck me in at night when the time comes – which, I’m thinking, may be some time this summer as I could use a good vacation.

For our last night in Montreal, Akemi and I went out to dinner with one of my oldest friends, Lawrence, and his lovely wife Melanie. They’re back in Canada after spending three (four?) years working in London. They’re both huge Coronation Street fans. No, really!

We enjoyed a late lunch of spareribs, brussel sprouts, green beans and a surprise dessert -

Yes, Cookie Dough Carly cupcakes from Jazzycakes [http://jazzycakes.wix.com/cake] compliments of blog regular (Sneaky) Sylvia! A half dozen!

Terrific! I had two!

Thanks, Sylvia! For the cupcakes AND the corn soup six years ago! Now YOU are someone who can take care of me.
              sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...ant-countdown/

January 4, 2014

Photos: Food

In addition to enjoying my mother’s home cooking, I also managed to get out while I was in Montreal. In all, I visited nine restaurants over the course of my stay. No favorites like Au Pied de Cochon or Garde Manger this time, and still no luck getting a table at either Kitchenette or Joe Beef, but I did get to check out a few new places in addition to paying others a return visit.

So, how were they? Well, some disappointed while others surprised. Still others – well, they were pretty much what I expected.

Counting them do...

9. PETINOS (Dollard-Des-Ormeaux)

I purposely avoided calling this a Worst to First list because, in truth, I didn’t visit any bad restaurants. On this trip, they ranged from okay to terrific. Petinos finds itself on the bottom mostly owing to the fact that I simply don’t like breakfast places. If I really want eggs, I can just make them at home and, quite honestly, I’ve never gone somewhere and said “Wow! I’ve really got to come back for these eggs!”. Having said that, Petinos offers more than eggs. Much, much more. My sister, for instance, had the nutella-banana crepe which was good – though, again, I’d argue something I could just as readily make at home. I had a fine omelet.

8. DEJEUNER COSMOPOLITAN

Another breakfast place but this one rates a little higher owing to the dish I ordered: a couple of poached eggs, blueberry pancakes, and creton. The latter is a grey Quebecois “pork spread” that, frankly, doesn’t taste anywhere near as good as it sounds (and thats being kind). The eggs and pancake, on the other hand, were good.

7. OSTERIA VENTI

All of my fellow diners seemed to enjoy this restaurant a lot more than I did. I suppose if I’d limited myself to the Tuscan chicken liver starter (two portions – sweet, salty, and a touch of bitter – served in rustic fashion) this restaurant would have rated higher. However, I ordered the breaded veal cutlet which turned out to be a huge disappointment. Instead of golden crisp, its breading was moist, fell off in clumps, and tasted of bad oil.

6. AVOCADO SUSHI DU VILLAGE

Back when I lived in Montreal, I loved going out for sushi. Then, I moved to Vancouver (and, later, visited Japan) and discovered how truly great sushi could be. On subsequent visits to Montreal, I returned to some of my old haunts and discovered the truth: sushi in Montreal pales in comparison. This, I think, forces them to be more creative in their roll making, combining such diverse, occasionally odd, ingredients as fish, fruit, vegetables, and sundry sauces.

A nice place with inspired rolls; above-average by Montreal sushi standards.

5. RESTAURANT CHAO PHRAYA

I used to love this place back when I lived in Montreal and, while I still enjoyed a good meal here on this visit (some 15 years since my move), it didn’t quite hold the same appeal this time out. Maybe it’s my mind playing tricks on me, but I seem to recall this place being a little more upscale, the dishes a little more refined. Still, it was a very good dinner and Akemi, in particular, enjoyed the red curry – which she ended up sipping at meal’s end (but regretting later that night).

4. BOUILLON BILK

My friend, Tom, raved about this place and rated it his favorite on HIS last trip to Montreal, so I was very eager to try it out. The service was excellent and the dishes were inspired, almost outstanding – if not for the fact that almost all of them were overly salted.

3. SMOKE MEAT PETE

My preferred place for smoked meat is this little spot on the West Island. I always order it medium (not too lean and not too fatty) and it never disappoints. The fries on this day, however, were a little greasy.

2. 400 COUPS

Similar to Bouillon Bilk in terms of the creativity on the plate, 400 Coups gets the edge on this trip owing to its subtlety of flavors and superior desserts. High end dishes in a warm and casual environment.

1. RESTAURANT MEZCLA

This restaurant, specializing in nuevo latino cuisine, was the surprise hit of this trip. How good was this place? So good, that even my mother couldn’t stop raving about it. So good that I wanted to go back for one more dinner before I left town (Unfortunately, they were closed). I’m pretty confident that those duck heart starters and the morado (purple corn) sauce are going to end up being one of my Top 10 Tastes for 2014. Crazy good!
                sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...p-for-january/

January 5, 2014

Photo: Dogs

Okay, following twelve glorious days of unbridled eating and a weekend of football-watching, it’s time to buckle down and get back to work. I’ve got a big January ahead of me...

1. We’ve been told that a decision will be made by early February on a project Paul and I currently have in development. So, this week, we need to address some notes on the first draft script, make sure it’s a tight and compelling read – y’know, the kind that makes you want to green light it to series – and then deliver it...and hope for the best.

2. I’ve been spinning my wheels on the last few scenes of the southern gothic pilot I’m co-writing with my talented friend, Tara Yelland with the help of my research assistant (and Georgia native), Jeffrey Wilson. I just have to push through and get it done, hopefully by tomorrow, then send it Tara’s way so that we can both give it a re-read and decide on next steps for the rewrite. At a whopping 65 pages, it needs some significant tightening-up in addition to a (southern) dialogue polish. If my 2013 luck carries over into 2014, the reaction to this script will no doubt be: “We love it! But can we set it in Chicago instead?”

3. Back in October, Paul and I were hired to develop a series pitch for a science fiction novel written by “the dean of science fiction writers”. We traveled to Toronto in November to pitch it to broadcasters there and, in the third week of January, we’ll be going to L.A. to pitch it there.

4. While in L.A., we’ll be meeting with the team behind a terrific, big-budget period series that needs a show runner, someone to write the pilot, and is looking to shoot in – of all places! – Vancouver.

5. Also, while in L.A., we’ll be starting the meet-and-greets, laying the groundwork for a possible return trip in April-May with an eye to staffing season.

6. I’m about 17 pages into the horror feature I’m co-writing with Alex Levine. It’s a solid start – creepy, weird, and mysterious. Ideally, I’d love to hit the 30 page mark before handing it off to Alex who presently has his hands full working on Orphan Black.

7. Stargate Special Features Producer (and runner-up in our Stargate Fantasy Football League this year) Ivon Bartok and I have been talking about co-scripting something for a while but could never quite agree on the right project. I wanted to write a musical while he had his heart set on a martial arts extravaganza. Eventually, his people got together with my people (we basically exchanged texts) and decided on a comedy. So far, it’s only a kernel of an idea – but a pretty damn funny kernel!

8. And, last but not least, visit my doctor to find out why my heart has seemingly migrated to the right side of my chest.
                  sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...lled-into-one/

January 6, 2014

Photo: Which Coen film character are you?

While I was in Montreal for the holidays, one of my relatives asked me for my Facebook info so that she could friend me. I was perfectly happy to do so until she mentioned having to partially block another friend because all she did was post about her burgeoning art career. In that case, I thought, I’m the last person she’d want to friend. Almost my entire Facebook activity is comprised of dog-related shares from animal rescues and missing pet sites. If these are of interest to you, then look me up: Baron Destructo!

A productive first day back at the office (the office not being an actual office in an office building or even a home office as I prefer to work on the dining room table by my liquor cabinet. I completed a first draft of the southern gothic pilot and sent it Tara’s way, then switched gears and addressed the notes to the other script we have in development and sent it Paul’s way. I worked out the next scene for the horror script and, time permitting, will write that tonight during the BCS National Championship game. I’m taking the 11 points and the Auburn Tigers!

Last night, Akemi and I started watching Stargate: Universe’s second season. A terrific season opener in Intervention written by my writing partner, Paul Mullie. I enjoyed it immensely although it did make me a little wistful – and reminded me that I have to start my SGU Trip Down Memory Lane at some point in the next few weeks. Before the start of the episode, we were treated to previews for Atlantis and Akemi was impressed with the visual effects. Once we’ve finished Universe, maybe we’ll switch gears to Atlantis and, if you’re all game, we can do a group watch-a-long and discussion. Interested?

Speaking of Facebook, I notice a lot of people posting these “Which X Character Are You?” personality tests. You know the ones I’m talking about. You answer a bunch of questions and your responses allow them to match you to a personality type? I am, apparently, The Walking Dead’s T-Dog, The Hobbit’s Bilbo Baggins, Shakespeare’s Hamlet, Star War’ Landro Calrissian, The Simpsons’ Krusty the Clown, Star Trek’s Khan, and Pride and Prejudice’s Charles Bingley. The science behind these various quizzes is questionable and I think a more accurate personality assessment could be derived from an inverse approach. Instead of figuring out what fictitious character your personality yields, we should be analyzing what fictitious characters we assume say about our personalities. For instance, the characters my friends and I chose to play in Dungeons & Dragons said a lot about our respective personalities. Stalwart, noble Nick was a paladin. Creative, ambitious Cas was a magic user. Cryptic, mysterious Paul was a fighting monk. And I, of course, was a goblin thief.

So, tell us about yourselves through the characters your used to play. And in the unlikely event you never played any such games (or, more likely, just don’t want to admit it), tell us which fictional character you most identify with.
                    sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...ast-your-vote/

January 7, 2014

Photos: Books

Following a lengthy hiatus, I think it’s high time we brought back our Book of the Month Club. Longtime readers will remember our book club’s past run was highlighted by some terrific books and equally terrific Q&A sessions with the likes of John Scalzi, Lois McMaster Bujold, Michael Moorcock, Jasper Fforde, David Weber, Elizabeth Moon, and many, many more (Don’t believe me? Do a blog search for the authors).

Having given it some thought, this is how I’d like to portray with the new and improved version of the BOTMC….

At the beginning of every month, the gang at SF Signal publishes a list of upcoming genre releases complete with covers and click-to-synopses links. You can find their January rundown here:

228 Reasons To Read Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror in January 2014 (Your Monthly SF/F/H Cover Gallery).

I went over the list, dismissing the books I’ve read and those I have no interest in reading. I eliminated those with cheesy covers, subsequent books in an ongoing series, those that failed to capture my interest, those with synopses that failed to tell me what the book was about, those with descriptions containing grammatical errors, and, finally, those with alarm-bell descriptors words like “vampire”, “werewolf”, and “hunky”. I then narrowed THAT LIST down to the following seven books:

TERMS OF ENLISTMENT (Marko Kloos) Paperback, 346 pages

“The year is 2108, and the North American Commonwealth is bursting at the seams. For welfare rats like Andrew Grayson, there are only two ways out of the crime-ridden and filthy welfare tenements, where you’re restricted to two thousand calories of badly flavored soy every day:

You can hope to win the lottery and draw a ticket on a colony ship settling off-world, or you can join the service.

With the colony lottery a pipe dream, Andrew chooses to enlist in the armed forces for a shot at real food, a retirement bonus, and maybe a ticket off Earth. But as he starts a career of supposed privilege, he soon learns that the good food and decent health care come at a steep price…and that the settled galaxy holds far greater dangers than military bureaucrats or the gangs that rule the slums.”

WORK DONE FOR HIRE (Joe Haldeman) Hardover, 288 pages

“Wounded in combat and honorably discharged nine years ago, Jack Daley still suffers nightmares from when he served his country as a sniper, racking up sixteen confirmed kills. Now a struggling author, Jack accepts an offer to write a near-future novel about a serial killer, based on a Hollywood script outline. It’s an opportunity to build his writing career, and a future with his girlfriend, Kit Majors.

But Jack’s other talent is also in demand. A package arrives on his doorstep containing a sniper rifle, complete with silencer and ammunition—and the first installment of a $100,000 payment to kill a “bad man.” The twisted offer is genuine. The people behind it are dangerous. They prove that they have Jack under surveillance. He can’t run. He can’t hide. And if he doesn’t take the job, Kit will be in the crosshairs instead.”

WOLVES (Simon Ings) Paperback, 304 pages

“The new novel from Simon Ings is a story that balances on the knife blade of a new technology. Augmented Reality uses computing power to overlay a digital imagined reality over the real world. Whether it be adverts or imagined buildings and imagined people with Augmented Reality the world is no longer as it appears to you, it is as it is imagined by someone else. Ings takes the satire and mordant satirical view of J.G. Ballard and propels it into the 21st century. Two friends are working at the cutting edge of this technology and when they are offered backing to take the idea and make it into the next global entertainment they realise that wolves hunt in this imagined world. And the wolves might be them. A story about technology becomes a personal quest into a changed world and the pursuit of a secret from the past. A secret about a missing mother, a secret that could hide a murder. This is no dry analysis of how a technology might change us, it is a terrifying thriller, a picture of a dark tomorrow that is just around the corner.”

THE ECHO (James Smythe) Paperback, 320 pages

“The disappearance of the spaceship Ishiguro twenty-three years ago devastated the global space program and set back exploration for a generation. Now, thanks to the tireless efforts of twin brothers Mira and Tomas Hyvonen, the program has been resurrected. Spearheading a new age of human discovery, the brothers also hope to solve the mystery behind the Ishiguro‘s disastrous mission.

Mira and Tomas are determined to make their trip successful. They have arranged everything down to the smallest detail. Nothing has been overlooked.

They don’t know that in space, the devil isn’t always in the details . . . and nothing goes according to plan.”

PERFECT (Rachel Joyce) Paperback, 400 pages

“Byron Hemmings wakes to a morning that looks like any other: his school uniform draped over his wooden desk chair, his sister arguing over the breakfast cereal, the click of his mother’s heels as she crosses the kitchen. But when the three of them leave home, driving into a dense summer fog, the morning takes an unmistakable turn. In one terrible moment, something happens, something completely unexpected and at odds with life as Byron understands it. While his mother seems not to have noticed, eleven-year-old Byron understands that from now on nothing can be the same.

What happened and who is to blame? Over the days and weeks that follow, Byron’s perfect world is shattered. Unable to trust his parents, he confides in his best friend, James, and together they concoct a plan. . . .

SNOWBLIND (Christopher Golden) Hardcover, 320 pages

“The small New England town of Coventry had weathered a thousand blizzards . . . but never one like this. Icy figures danced in the wind and gazed through children’s windows with soul-chilling eyes. People wandered into the whiteout and were never seen again. Families were torn apart, and the town would never be the same.

Now, as a new storm approaches twelve years later, the folks of Coventry are haunted by the memories of that dreadful blizzard and those who were lost in the snow. Photographer Jake Schapiro mourns his little brother, Isaac, even as—tonight—another little boy is missing. Mechanic and part-time thief Doug Manning’s life has been forever scarred by the mysterious death of his wife, Cherie, and now he’s starting over with another woman and more ambitious crimes. Police detective Joe Keenan has never been the same since that night, when he failed to save the life of a young boy . . . and the boy’s father vanished in the storm only feet away. And all the way on the other side of the country, Miri Ristani receives a phone call . . . from a man who died twelve years ago.

As old ghosts trickle back, this new storm will prove to be even more terrifying than the last.”

STAR ROAD (Matthew Costello and Rick Hautala) Hardcover, 336 pages

“A rebel and an outlaw lead an unsuspecting group of adventurers on a secret mission across the vastness of space, in Matthew Costello’s Star Road

Ivan Delgato, a former leader of a rebel group called the Runners, is released from jail on the condition that he carry out a secret mission for the World Council. His assignment is simple: stay under cover, but do absolutely anything necessary to reach the planet Omega IX and offer the renegade Runners clemency if they surrender—which may be complicated since Ivan’s brutally violent brother has taken lead of the Runners in Ivan’s absence.

In search of the Runners, Ivan catches a ride out to the wildest reaches of the galaxy via a mysterious transportation system, the Star Road. His fellow passengers on Star Road Vehicle-66 are a suspicious group, all with their own hidden reasons for traversing the star road. As the travelers contend with increasingly deadly encounters, it isn’t long before suspicions build against Ivan.

And as the Runners must choose one brother over the other, on a planet filled with ancient secrets, those who survive will confront a mystery that changes the Star Road, and humanity, forever.”

So these titles are in contention for our New and Improved Book of the Month Club. I’ll choose the date of our first discussion once the polls close (sometime next week). Time permitting, I’ll also reach out to the various authors and see if they’d be interested in dropping by for a little Q&A with us.

Cast your vote!

Again, you can check out the full list at SFsignal.com here:

228 Reasons To Read Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror in January 2014 (Your Monthly SF/F/H Cover Gallery)

Today’s entry is dedicated to blog regular Patricia who is undergoing knee surgery today!
                      sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...he-month-club/

January 8, 2014

Photos: Oranges, Jelly, books

I woke up this morning to find the above-pictured oranges sitting on my kitchen counter, and Paul’s pass on our latest script sitting in my inbox. I looked it over, made a few changes, and then sent the script wide – and, in this particular case, “wide” refers to the 3-5 individuals involved in this development process. Word is they want all the materials in by early February so that they’ll have plenty of time to review them prior to a decision in March. Will we finally get that elusive series order? Well, I feel very good about this project – but, in all fairness, I felt pretty good about Dark Matter which was in the same position last year only to ultimately lose out to another property by the very slimmest of margins. My writing partner, like a spurned lover, refuses to get his hopes up, maintaining an emotional distance as if the project were a relative going in for risky life-saving surgery.

Speaking of Dark Matter, I’m trying to arrange a conference call with my partners to discuss where things stand. When last er spoke, we had a modest budget in place that, while impressive to the uninitiated, isn’t really quite enough to make a good ship-based series. I’ve been running comparison budgets with my savvy friend and former colleague, Lawren Bancroft-Wilson, and it would seem we’ll need an additional 15-20% to do it properly. I don’t suppose any of you happened to have any lottery winnings you’re looking to invest? If so, let me know!

Having completed a first draft of that southern gothic pilot with Tara, I’m taking some time of from the script so that I can return to it, fresh, in about a week. I’ve always found that when you’re writing, it’s very easy to get attached to what you’ve put down on the page so a little time away allows you to come back to it with a more open mind. Meanwhile, I’m about 23 pages into the horror script. Ideally, I’d love to hit the 30 page mark before my partner on this one, Alex Levine, frees up his busy schedule. So far, so creepy!

Took my old gal Jelly (she’ll be 15 next month!) in to see the vet today. Over the past couple of days, she’s been doing a lot of panting and crying, especially in the middle of the night. She checked out okay, no obvious health issues, so I’m going to have to keep an eye on her. And be prepared to wake up A LOT in the wee hours of the morning.

Today was Jelly and tomorrow it’s my turn to go visit the doctor to check out yet another in a long line of mystery ailments. They’re racking up. No sooner did I make an appointment to ask an opinion on one issue than another unrelated issue cropped up. Akemi joked it was because I’m getting old. The kidder!

A couple of purchases today...

This handsome statue in preparation for my future supervillain-themed office. How’s that for optimism?

Yes, I have heard of kindle. And, yes, I still prefer real books. The only problem is all the late-night Stargate: Universe-watching with Akemi has eaten into my reading time so I need to free up an after-dinnner/pre-workout block just to play catch-up.

Hey, speaking of reading, don’t forget to vote for our upcoming Book of the Month Club selection. Your choices...

Our discussion will begin a month after the polls close – or, a month after the winning book is actually released, whichever comes last.
                        sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...eam-and-books/

January 9, 2014

Photos: The Vancouver Hot Chocolate Festival, Jasmine dark chocolate at Chocolaterie de la Nouvelle France, ice cream

It’s that time of year again! Time for Vancouver annual Hot Chocolate Festival! From January 18th to February 14th, 24 local participants will be offering over 60 flavors. At roughly two hot chocolates a day, I think that’s eminently doable. Last year, Akemi and I managed to sample about half the hot chocolates being offered and, this year, we plant to do even better. Yes, we’ll be like athletes, pacing ourselves, giving a 110% in the face of adversity except that, instead of running a marathon, we’ll be downing liquid chocolate.

There were some great offerings last year:

Last years winner in my mind (and mouth and stomach): The Jasmine dark chocolate at Chocolaterie de la Nouvelle France.

February 17, 2013: The Hot Chocolate Festival Wrap-up! And the Winners are…!

And I’m eager to get started. I’ve started my training by consuming a quarter bar of dark chocolate every day leading up to kick-off. Wish me luck!

Perfect timing too as, today, I received a clean bill of health from my doctor. Well, more or less. Essentially, he didn’t find anything wrong with me and that’s good enough for me.

A couple of days ago, my sister sent me the following link:

The 10 Most Expensive Pints of Ice Cream

Yep, mighty expensive. And, in some cases, kind of intriguing as well. Double vanilla with cashew brittle? Whiskey eggnog? Sea salt caramel? Hmmm.

You folks strike me as worldly in the ways of ice cream. Ever sampled any of the mentioned brands? Are they worth their premium price tag? Or are we sticking with Breyers?

Did you cast your vote for our upcoming Book of the Month Club? What do you mean you don’t have time to read? Make the time! I certainly will. In fact, I’m going to read all seven contenders in the running for our next BOTMC. They are...

P.S. FINALLY started reading Joe Abercrombie’s Red Country yesterday. Fabulous! A wicked mix of action, adventure, dark humor, and unforgettable characters. A very hard book to put down.
                          sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...es-dogs-books/

January 10, 2014

Photos: Truffles, Jelly, Bubba, Lulu, books

Today, Akemi combined my love of booze, chocolates, and not actually doing anything to come up with the above-pictured bourbon truffles. And then, as if that wasn’t enough (and it really wasn’t), she came up with these:

Yep. For those who prefer the lighter touch, check out these Tennessee Honey Whisky truffles. Well, check out with your eyes – unless you happen to be in the neighborhood. But trust me (and why wouldn’t you?), they were delicious.

In addition to eating chocolates today, I also got some work done on my various projects. Yes, there’s nothing quite as satisfying as finishing a script. No, wait. I think there IS something more satisfying. What was it? What was it? Oh, yeah! Selling a script and having it green lit!

The worst thing about this business is all the waiting. And it’s not just my impatient self complaining. Even my dogs are getting fed up. Don’t believe me?

I keep telling them: Don’t be so pessimistic. Things will all work out.

But, just in case they don’t, I’m preparing to do a lot of reading this year...

Don’t forget to cast your vote for our next Book of the Month Club pick! Polls close Sunday night!

Finally, we’ve got a big playoff football weekend ahead of us, have we not? Who do you all like? As much as I would love to see the Saints advance, their absolutely terrible performance the last time they played Seattle doesn’t give me much hope. In the other NFC match-up, everybody is talking up the 49ers, but I’m going with the Carolina Panthers, a team that has gotten consistently better as the season has progressed. Over in the AFC, as much as I’d like to see the Chargers pull off another upset in Denver, I can’t see it happening against a focused Denver team. And, over in New England, Tom Brady has MacGyvered his team a #2 seed with a bunch of second rate receivers, guts, and elastic bands. The Colts are more than capable of pulling off the upset, but I’m wary of betting against coach Belichick with the extra week to prepare.
                            sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...14-oh-come-on/

January 11, 2014

Hey, anyone happen to be following this story?

Christie Bridge Traffic Scandal Probed by US Prosecutors (3)

In a nutshell: “The Bergen Record newspaper published on Wednesday this week emails indicating that high-placed figures within the Christie administration ordered those closures after Ft. Lee Mayor Mark Sokolich declined to endorse the incumbent governor during last year’s election. Traffic on and around the world’s busiest bridge was brought to a standstill as a result of those manufactured traffic jams, and authorities now say one person may have died because emergency personnel couldn’t reach her in time due to the delays.” (FBI and US attorney to probe bridge scandal looming over 2016 …).

Outrageous. Not the fact that a politician is using underhanded tactics against another politician (that’s business as usual as far as I’m concerned), but the fact that he does so with absolutely no regard for the average citizens, many of who may well have voted for him!

Christie’s Traffic Jam May Have Cost Millions

Okay, okay. Innocent until proven guilty, right? Governor Christie denies any knowledge of the political payback scheme…even though a number of his top aides are implicated. So, in effect, he’s saying he’s not a petty, vindictive bully; simply a complete dolt who was out of the loop. He was out of the loop when his aides decided to shut down the bridge to inconvenience a political opponent. And he remained out of the loop, completely clueless while, over the course of the four day closure, others complained the closures were politically motivated. Let’s get this straight…

The closures inconvenienced people for days. His political opponents were pointing their fingers at his office, insisting the closures were politically motivated. If you were Governor Christie and were actually oblivious to what YOUR people were doing, wouldn’t you ask one of them if there was any truth to the charges? Are we to assume that, as some point, he did ask – and they all lied to him? Realistically, why the hell would they lie , keeping their boss out of the dark while they CONTINUED to keep the lanes loses for an additional three days? Are we really expected to believe they “went rogue”? That they took these actions on his behalf, didn’t tell him, and then lied to him when he asked about it and continued merrily on their way? Or maybe he never bothered asking? He just wasn’t the least bit curious?

And, oh my, it gets worse…

Bridge Scandal Papers Point to Cover-Up by Chris Christie Allies …

Cover-up of New Jersey bridge scandal: Gov. Christie implicated?

Christie hit with lawsuit as US bridge scandal deepens

Governor Christie has taken swift action to make things right save his political career: “On Thursday, Christie moved to contain the damage from the scandal, firing his deputy chief of staff, cutting ties to one of his chief political advisers and apologizing for the traffic jams. Two Christie appointees at the Port Authority resigned last month as the scandal unfolded.” (New documents show worries about bad publicity in NJ traffic-jam …).

On an unrelated note, I’ve severely reprimanded my dogs after discovering they took it upon themselves to order the NFL Package via my satellite provider. I sincerely apologize for their behavior and would like my $200 back.
                              sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...late-festival/

January 12, 2014

Photos: Macarons, Rob Cooper's main course, Hot Chocolate Festival game plan

While I spent the weekend watching four disappointingly mediocre football games, Akemi put her time to far better use by expanding her two-day truffle output. On Saturday, it was Bourbon and Tennessee Honey Whiskey truffles. This morning, she woke up early and added Bourbon Vanilla, Orange-Cointreau, and Almond to her line-up. She served them along with a side of dark chocolate ganache macarons...

Even though she was disappointed with the results (it was her first time baking them in the new oven), I thought they passed the all-important taste test.

Equally delicious was today’s main course, compliments of Chef Robert Cooper...

If he had told me the secret ingredient was cocaine, my reaction would have probably been something like: “Yeah, okay. That makes sense.”

In addition to tempering, cooling, mixing, baking, and rolling, Akemi also took the time to produce this handy chart:

Which essentially breaks down our game plan heading into the upcoming 2014 Hot Chocolate Festival. It runs January 18th through February 14th at 20 different locations featuring 60+ different hot chocolate flavors for everyone from the purists (Thierry’s 68% Ampamakia dark served with a dark chocolate dipped marshmallow) to the adventurous (Cocoa Nymph’s 64% dark chocolate with parmesan and nutmeg!). Details here:

http://www.cityfood.com/hotchocolate/coming-soon-

Who’s in?

Back at it tomorrow! I hit the 30 page mark of the horror script yesterday and spent much of last night lying wide awake in bed because I was breaking down the next twelve scenes in head – then spent more of the night lying wide awake in bed, creeped out by what I’d come up with.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X