Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joseph Mallozzi's Blog! (SPOILERS For All SG Shows and Dark Matter)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jumper_One View Post
    Today, we had a discussion of Rob’s new story that eventually devolved into a heated debate about gate travel, subspace sensors, and Swiss Family Robinson!
    Hmm, this sounds like a great episode in the works. I can't wait.
    Carter: "The singularity is about to explode!"

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...our-questions/

June 2, 2010 - Part 1

Video: Over It - Coupla Hot Chicks... Maybe Three

Photos: Elyse Levesque

It’s finally here! That long-awaited Elyse Levesque Q&A you’ve all been asking about! Much thanks to the lovely Elyse for taking time out from her busy schedule (she has a job, y’know!) to answer our questions in very entertaining fashion. I’m pleased she was able to actually slow down long enough to field our queries. Fact is, for the first few months of production, I didn’t have a single picture of Elyse because she was always on the move – and by move, I mean dancing. Yep, she’d be boogie-ing so much between takes that my attempts to snap a candid shot of her would end up…well...

Anyway, what can I say about the supremely talented Ms. Levesque? She sings, she dances, she acts, she raps, she scuba dives in alien tanks. ”What’s that?”you say. She scuba dives in alien tanks? ”No, the other one?” Oh, yeah. Apparently, she raps. Check out the NSFW video at the end of the Q&A…

Lisa R. writes: “Questions for Elyse: How did you like being in the water tank? Was it difficult reacting to what else was going on in the scene when you were in the water?”

EL: It was difficult to see what exactly I was looking at through the tank, so I pretty much had to take my own cues. Other than that, it was actually a very relaxing experience. Our stunt coordinator James Bamford (aka “BamBam”) made sure I felt super comfortable and even gave me a quick scuba lesson beforehand. Overall, a really cool experience!!

Bryan M. White writes: “Quick question for Elyse. I have heard in interviews that many actors struggle with (or become effected by) the stress of emotional scenes. Now Chloe is in a difficult situation because she just lost her father, she found out that her boyfriend is cheating on her, she is constantly questioning whether she belongs on the ship, and she has been though a lot of trauma in “Space”. Sorry for the pun. I didn’t realize till after I typed it. But my question is whether those feelings of losing faith have ever had an effect on you while playing this role? How do you deal with that stress at the end of the day?

Thanks for your time. Best wishes,
Bryan”

EL: Emotional scenes definitely take their toll, but I find them to be more therapeutic than anything. As actors it’s part of our job to go into those dark, messy places. I think it’s important to leave “the work” at work and not take it home with you.

Sean D. writes: “Two questions for Elyse: 1. What was one of the most heart-felt moments for you with the rest of the cast and crew during SGU’s first season?

EL: When we all got together to watch the pilot episode. Production rented out a theatre, so it was like we were having our own mini-premier. It was such fun for everyone to watch it together and to finally see the results of our hard work.

“2. What was one of the funniest moments for you and the rest of the cast and crew during SGU’s first season?”

EL: Everyday on set provides plenty of comedy, especially with this cast!! We’re a crazy bunch and once we get started, it’s really hard for us to stop. But I think one of my fondest memories is early last season, during the pilot actually, when Louis got his hands on a fart machine and proceeded to punk people from that day till the very end of shooting.

Shawna writes: “Okay, questions for Elyse:
What are you most hoping for or looking forward to in regards to future character development for Chloe?
Also, if you could choose, what role (if any) would you have her develop on the ship (as far as how the others are scientists, soldiers, etc.)?
What do you think Chloe’s opinion of Eli is? (Is she oblivious to the fact that he has feelings for her, or what?)
If you personally had to choose between Eli or Scott (or any of the other male characters for that matter) who would you choose?”

EL: What’s great about Chloe is that the possibilities as to where her character can go are endless. I would love to see her come into her own and take on a leadership, perhaps in an area that would allow her to exercise her skills as a political science major. As far as the Chloe/Eli relationship is concerned, I do think she’s aware that he has feelings for her, but I think that her feelings don’t go beyond friendship at this point. She cares about him very much, and values his friendship, which is something she would never want to jeopardize. The last thing she would want to do is hurt him. If I were in Chloe’s shoes, I would choose the blue aliens. I’ve always had a weakness for foreigners .

Crayonbaby writes: “Of all the actors you work with on SGU, who tells the best jokes? With all the seriousness of the storylines, I’m sure it’s great to have someone who can lighten the mood, if just a little.”

EL: It’s hard to say who tells the best jokes, as Louis Ferraira, David Blue and Peter Kelamis all have quite the arsenal of funnies that they like to bust out between set-ups. Louis tells them as though he were performing a one-act play, so he may just get my vote because of that. But damn, they all know how to make us laugh.

Abby writes: “Here’s a few questions for Elyse. First off, thanks soooo much for taking the time to answer fan questions. I really appreciate it! =D 1. Did you always want to be an actress? If not, what other careers were you interested in?”

EL: For as long as I can remember I wanted to be an actress, but I think I toyed with the idea of being a marine biologist or a veterinarian for a hot minute when I was ten. Who knows if I would have gone into either of those fields had I not ended up in this industry. I think I probably would’ve become an art historian or done something in the visual arts.

“2. Are you reading any books right now? Which ones?”

EL: I’ve just started reading Leo Tolstoy’s “Anna Karenina”.

“3. How did you get into acting?”

EL: I auditioned for a children’s television series called “The Incredible Story Studio” when I was 11. The first episode I did was called “Hugo and the Haunted Cheese” and I played Candace Wilkes, the snobby teachers pet. As you can imagine, it was the role of a lifetime .

Danielle writes: “What would you say was the hardest scene to shoot in the first half of season 1?”

EL: One of the hardest scenes for me, probably would have been in the pilot where my character attacks Rush after her father dies. The emotional and physical demands of that scene were both very challenging. I felt terrible having to beat up poor Bobby, but he was a trooper and insisted I just go for it. Funny part is that I was probably more bruised after that scene than he was!

“What is your favorite episode that you’ve shot so far? And, last one i promise, Do you think that Eli has a shot at being with chloe? I really hope so because I love the Eli/Chloe pairing ^_^

Thanks btw you are awesome”

EL: My favorite episode of the first half is “Time”. I think it stands out. Everyone brought their best game to the table in that episode and it shows. As far as Eli and Chloe are concerned, you never know where the writers may take the relationship, but I think it’s a stronger choice to not have them get together because once you cross that bridge, there’s no turning back. There’s something enticing about not giving the audience what they want and I think the constant desire to see these two together will keep certain fans tuning in!

Cody writes: “Questions for the extraordinarily lovely Elyse Levesque: 1. What is it like doing the DVD commentaries? (I’ve always been curious about that.)

EL: DVD commentaries are a blast! For one, we get to see the episode, which is always a treat, but it’s nice to be able to share with people all the ins and outs of what it took to make what you’re seeing happen.

“2. Would you like your character to have a more specific role on the ship like how Eli’s become integrated into the science team?”

EL: Definitely, but I think that’s something that will come with time. It wouldn’t make sense for Chloe to all of a sudden be manning a shuttle or sorting out the secrets of the ship’s systems. It wouldn’t be believable. But I imagine that she will slowly but surely find her footing and eventually assume a specific role on the ship.

“3. What do you think of the series’ music? Thanks for taking the time to answer some of our questions.”

EL: I love a lot of the musical choices for the show, even some of the more contemporary songs. Our composer Joel Goldsmith has done a brilliant job giving the show it’s own sound.

Anais33 a ecrit: “Alors…mes questions à Elyse! 1. Avant de jouer dans SGU aviez vous déjà vu un épisode de la franchise stargate?”

EL: Non, je n’ai jamais regardé d’épisodes. Mais avoir décroché le rôle de Chloe Armstrong, je me suis intéressée à SG-1.

“2. Vous devez vraiment bien vous amusez sur le tournage, qui est le plus comique dans le cast?”

EL: Il y a plusieurs personnes drôles sur le “set”. Mais je pense que Louis Ferraira est le plus comique.

“3. Quel scéne dans sgu a était la plus difficile a jouer? Pourquoi?”

A: Peut-être la scène où mon père meurt. On a tourné cette scène pendant 4 heures, et j’ai pleuré chaque fois, ce qui m’a beaucoup épuisée, mais avec le “fun” que nous avons sur le plateau, ca en vaut toujours la peine.

“4. Je sais que vous parlez bien français pouvez vous dire un petit message aux french fans?”

EL: J’aimerais dire un très grand merci pour votre support et passion pour notre série. Nous ne pourrions rien faire de tout cela sans vous.
      sigpic
      The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

June 2, 2010 - Part 2

Madwelshboy writes: “For Elyse: 1) What’s you favorite season 1 episode and why?:

EL: Time. ‘Cause it’s kind of badass.

“2) What yous favorite Chloe momment or line, so far?”

EL: My favorite line was from Human, when Chloe shows off her archaeological expertise with this neverending line: “Actually, many advanced alien civilizations found in the Milky Way and Pegasus Galaxies lived in what appeared to be primitive stone architecture that concealed extremely powerful technology…”. Try delivering that without passing out. Phew.

“3) Other than Chloe, which character is your favorite?”

EL: I have a thing for Rush.

“4) If you could use one word to discribe each of your fellow cast mate, what word would you use?”

EL: Robert Carlyle: Powerful

Louis Ferraira: Hafrigginlarious

Brian J. Smith: Classic

David Blue: Smarty-pants (I realize that’s technically two words, but I hyphened it to make it one so that I wasn’t cheating. Although I still kind of am. Whatever. Go with it.)

Alaina Huffman: Inspiring

Jamil Walker Smith: Oneofakind

Ming Na: Stunning

Lou Diamond Phillips: Charming

“5) I’m sure a lot of people want to know this, Brian J Smith is he a good kisser?”

EL: Yes, the boy has an exceptional set of lips and he certainly knows how to use them.

Craig writes: “Question for Elyse: If someone really did offer you a chance to go to another planet via a stargate or spaceship would you take it? And if you did go, what would you take with you on the trip (for survival purposes or just as “comfort items”)?”

EL: Oh yeah, I’d be hip to it! And I’d probably take my toothbrush, some deodorant, my slippers……and Chuck Norris.

Tammy Dixon writes: “Questions for Elyse: What is the most physically uncomfortable scene you have had to do in this or any show?
Dog, or cat person?”

EL: The scenes in the water tank in Space and Divided were challenging, but a lotta fun. The harder part was having to hold my breathe for the whole sequence. But, I got a free scuba lesson out of it, so worth it!!! And Dogs all the way .

Logan writes: “Hey Elyse, 1. There has been a lot of criticism directed towards the under-development of female characters on SGU. What’s your take on that?”

EL: I am curious to know what exactly the fans want to see from these female characters. I see very strong, intelligent, beautiful, interesting women being depicted on this show, who are flawed and vulnerable and who are, in my opinion, far more relatable than what we see in a lot of other sci-fi shows.

2. I have high hopes for the development of your character on the show. What are your hopes for character development? So far through the production of Season 2, are they coming to fruition.”

EL: Actually, I feel like where I saw my character going is far different from where the writers have taken her in the Second Season. But they have in fact, given her a storyline far cooler than anything I could have imagined for her! I’m super excited to see how it all unfolds and hope that the events that happen to her lend themselves to giving Chloe a more purposeful place onboard Destiny.

“3. How has the being on SGU changed your life?”

EL: Life itself is the same in many ways, but what’s wonderful now is that I get to go to a job everyday that I love and get to work with such amazing people. It’s a privilege to enjoy what you do and I feel so fortunate to have become a part of the Stargate family.

“What’s your favourite Chloe-moment in S1? Could you describe what was it like to be filmed in a water tank (“Space”)? It sure looked scary.”

EL: It looks a lot scarier than it was. Our Stunt Coordinator “BamBam” also known as James Bamford, made sure I felt comfortable in the tank and took such good care of me, that I had nothing to worry about other than just relaxing and having fun. To be honest the tank was so warm, the only bad part was having to get out of it.

“Chloe is starting to grow on me. I feel for her, because she doesn’t think she’s useful. Is Chloe going to find something to do on the ship?”

EL: I think she’ll keep discovering things about herself and how she can be of more help onboard. It wouldn’t have made sense for her to suddenly be manning a shuttle or solving the ship’s systems. So, yes she feels useless at first but eventually she’ll find her footing.

“How much similarities are between you and the character you play?”

EL: We both have brown hair. We both have blue eyes. And we both like to do yoga. It’s like we were separated at birth.

“You’ve said that your favourite character is Rush. What’s it like working with Robert Carlyle?”

EL: Robert (or Bobby as we all lovingly call him) is a rockstar. He’s about as cool as they come. Super grounded, honest and real, and completely, 100% about the work. He sets a good example for the rest of us to follow and I think he can be attributed to the reason why this show is such a pleasure to work on.

Maggiemayday writes: “For Elyse: I rarely have coherent questions which no one else has asked… so incoherent question time: dark or milk chocolate? Do you think bacon is a food group? Thanks for all your hard work on the show!”

EL: Dark chocolate. And no, I don’t think bacon is a food group. However, I have had chocolate covered bacon…so there’s that.

PBMom writes: “FANTASTIC! ELYSE is in the house: My questions: 1. Did you hurt Robert Carlyle when you mowed him over in Air after Chloe’s father died?”

EL: I think I actually walked away with more bumps and bruises than he did! I’m quite fragile turns out.

“2. In the scene with Chloe’s dad dying, did you draw on any particular life event or is it more acting in the moment. Gosh, that scene just ripped my heart out in sympathy and pain for Chloe. It was so real.”

EL: Thank you very much! It was a tough scene to play, but I got to work a lot of stuff out. I’ve never experienced the loss of a parent, but I have lost other important people in my life, so I definitely drew from that. It’s icky, but you do have to put yourself in that situation, convincing yourself that that really is your father on the other side of the airlock.

“3. Twitter: Blessing or curse or a little bit of both?”

EL: It’s a necessary evil.

“4. Where were you when you heard about season 2 getting picked up?”

EL: I was in my living room and got a phone call from one of our Producers. It was mid December so it was kind of like Christmas came early!

“5. Do you like a particular yoga method over another?”

EL: Am a huge fan of both Bikram’s and Power yoga. Like to balance it out by doing both.

“6. No question, just a thank you for doing so many commentaries. They were fantastic and I hope you loved doing them as much as we have enjoyed them. I have missed the actors of the Stargate franchise doing commentaries for a very long time. I hope we’ll see more during 1.5 and 2.0 and 2.5 and 3.0, etc. And thank you for doing this Q&A. I was just telling Sherry (Brian’s mom) the other day that there is no other TV show where the stars of the show (so many of them, too) are so accessible, gracious and generous to the fans. You rock.”
        sigpic

Comment

June 2, 2010 - Part 3

EL: Wow! Thank you so much for all of that. We know how lucky we are to have such a dedicated fanbase! We appreciate you guys and love to be able to share our passion for this show with you. Cheers!

Craseder writes: “To Elyse: What’s it like working with Brian when your characters are in such a close relationship? Do you ever have really akward moments off-camera?”

EL: Brian and I get along great on and off the set. We’re pretty fortunate that everyone in this cast is just so darn neat that all we ever want to do is hang out together! It only gets awkward when somebody farts. Kidding. Farts on our set our practically mandatory. A right of passage, if you will…

Ytimynona writes: “Questions for Elyse Levesque:
1) Have you ever seen the Jolly Roger on Regina’s mighty shores? 
2) On Wikipedia it says you traveled the world modeling between high school and being a full time actress. Can you share with us any awesome world travel experiences/stories?
3) You deliver some lines/beats that could be taken as either serious or comedy in a very subtly comedic fashion, which makes them that much more hilarious. Do you have a background or training in comedy?”

EL: 1) I have not been so fortunate to see the Jolly Roger on Regina’s mighty shores. I have, however, heard that song one time too many.

2) I saw Giorgio Armani walking down a beach in St. Tropez wearing just a speedo and a gold chain that went nicely with his white chest hair.

3) If I ever say or do anything funny, it’s completely by accident. Honestly, I have so much respect for comedic actors because I think it’s one of the hardest skills to develop.

Simon writes: “These are questions for Elyse (hope there not too late!) 1) I’ve heard you had quite a lot to do in the episode Space (UKer here ) was that, in your opinion as an Actress the most fun you’ve had on the set so far?”

EL: Speaking of “Space”, that was one of my favorite episodes to shoot. I felt like an badass action hero getting to do all my own stunts in the tank. I think it’s always fun getting to do that kind of stuff, because it’s not an everyday occurrence. I mean, how often do you get to wear pleather while being submerged underwater because a bunch of scary aliens have kidnapped you and are about to probe your mind…? Am I right?!

“2) I honestly do not see all these comments about your character, how do you take the comments from the fandom?”

EL: It is what it is. I try to look at it from the perspective of, “I don’t like every character on every TV show I see out there, so why should I expect everyone to like my character?”.

“3) Who’s been the most fun to do scenes with on SGU so far?”

EL: I don’t get to work with Louis Ferraira that often, but whenever I do it’s always a memorable experience. He gets me laughing during setups and sometimes even in the middle of a take. A regular prankster that one!

Major D. Davis writes: “1. Do you think Chloe has any feelings for Eli? They seem to be great friends, but i feel like there’s potential for more. I think Eli was right in Time, when he was saying he thought they “Made each other happy when they’re together”. I mean, it seems like Chloe is happier around Eli. Do you think your character feels for Eli in a romantic way?”

EL: I think Chloe genuinely loves Eli, but in a purely platonic way. I think from the start she saw him as the best friend she never had, but always wanted. She knows that his feeling go beyond friendship, but overlooks it for selfish reasons of wanting him to still be a part of her life. I think the last thing she intends to do is hurt him, but that’s just what happens when feelings get in the mix. Who knows where things may lead and one day she might wake up and decide that she’s ready to love him, and it might be too late. I think it’s stronger for the time being that these characters don’t entertain a romantic relationship, but for the possibility of that occurrence to always be there.

“2. What is your favorite prank that has been pulled on an SGU set?”

EL: Louis Ferraira and his infamous fart machine and the endless number of pranks he has pulled with that darn thing.

“3. What SGU character do you admire most and why?”

EL: Rush. He’s so dislikable and yet completely intriguing. You’re almost rooting for him even though you know he’s a selfish little “bleep”.

“4. Do you think the relationship between Matt and Chloe has to do more with the emotional bond or the physical bond? (Or as Lisa Park would put it, the “Reading” bond).”

EL: I think initially it was a physical bond, intensified by the circumstances, but the relationship has taken a more serious turn, which I think is a first for both of these characters. They’ve been through so much together that you can’t help but build an emotional attachment to one another. Will it stand the test of time? We shall see.

Chevron7 writes: “Questions for Elyse: 1. Do you get nervous at auditions? What was your audition for the role of Chloe like?”

EL: Do I ever. Sometimes I work myself up so much I feel like I might faint. But once I’m in the room I usually am able to focus and channel all that nervous energy into the work. My audition for Chloe was a bit of a process. I put it on tape first, here in Vancouver, then flew down to LA for my screen test. Was very nervous, mostly of the unknown as I’d never tested before, but when I walked into the room there were so many happy faces looking back at me that I felt immediately at ease. Before I knew it, it was all over and then came the long, tedious process of waiting to hear back. That’s probably the worst part.

“3. Will we see Chloe play more of a liaison role in dealing with aliens in upcoming episodes? Is this where she finds her purpose on the Destiny?”

EL: We might see some repercussions from her run-in with the aliens. Who knows what sort of effect this will have on her, and Rush for that matter. But it could set up some interesting plot points further on down the line.

“4. Although horrible do you think being trapped on Destiny was actually a good thing to happen to Chloe in the grand scheme of things? The way I see it if she stayed on Earth she most likely would have married the boyfriend who would likely have cheated on her the whole time and she would work for her father until he retired and never actually found herself.”

EL: I believe everything happens for a reason. I think it was her destiny (pun intended) to end up onboard that ship.

“5. Are you a cat or dog person?”

EL: Dog.

“6. Do you find emotional or action scenes more challenging? How do you prepare for each?”

EL: Emotional scenes probably. But to be honest, I find comedic scenes to be even more difficult. Being funny isn’t as easy as Tina Fey makes it look.

“7. What sort of films do you like to watch?”

EL: I’m a softy for any epic love story.

“8. What’s your favourite thing about Vancouver?”

EL: The ocean.

Kabra writes: “Hi Elyse – I made up one of those get to know you quizzes, not to worry it’s real short, I know you have a lot of other questions to answer and are really busy, by the way thanks for taking the time to do this, we fans really appreciate it.
ok here it goes. Chocolate or vanilla?
Diamonds or pearls?
Beer or wine?
Reggae or jazz?
Beach or mountains?
Foie gras croquettes or banana split?
Rodney McKay or Joe Mallozzi?”

EL: Chocolate all the way. Diamond encrusted pearls . Vino. Reggae. Beach. Banana Split. For the sake of keeping my job, Joe.

Craseder writes: “One more for Elyse: Is it LEV-esk, or lev-es-KAY?”

EL: Haha. Question of my life. It’s pronounced Le-veck. The “s” and “ue” are silent.

Otros Ojos writes: “Thanks for doing this Q&A, and also for your contributions to the DVD special features. I’ve enjoyed them a lot. Questions: (1) For purposes of really getting into a role, do you like to imagine as much backstory for a character as you can, even if you don’t yet know a lot about what the creators have in mind for the character? Or, would that get in the way of spontaneity when you get your script and react to whatever has been written for your character?”

EL: I think creating a full, vivid backstory for your character is crucial. It feeds you information as to how your character would react to a certain situation, even how they get themselves ready in the morning or how they carry themselves. Of course the tricky thing with television is that you can discover something about your character’s past further down the line which would’ve been useful to know at the beginning, but you kind of just have to roll with it.

“(2) During breaks on set, is there something especially fun you like to do to decompress?”

EL: Crank up the music in Robert Carlyle’s trailer and have a dance-a-thon!

“(3) Do you have a favorite film genre?”

EL: I’m a sucker for a really good love story. Give me an epic romance set against a beautiful backdrop and I’ll buy a ticket.

Duneknight writes: “Questions for Elyse (chloe): Do you play video games? And if you do what kind?
- who do you like more, the military or the scientists?”

EL: I used to be more into video games when I was younger, but just the classics like Mario Brothers or Duck Hunt. I am, however, digging Rockband, which I must give props to David Blue for introducing me to. I slap some serious bass. As far as the military and scientists are concerned, I don’t think I have a favorite. Both are equally as important and valuable to the survival and maintenance of order among the Destiny’s crew.
          sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...hold-up-today/

June 3, 2010

Photos: The Warriors, Planet of the Apes, Phantasm, Star Wars, Rollerball, The Poseidon Adventure, Death Race 2000, A Clockwork Orange, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

Off the top of my head. I’m sure there are a few I’ve missed. Would love to hear your entries. Do they still hold up?

The Warriors (1979)

Can you dig it? Caaan yooou diiiig it??! A recent conversation with fellow writer/producer Remi Aubuchon led me to check out this movie again, some thirty years after I first saw (and loved) it. A contemporary (ish?) retelling of the Anabasis by Xenophon (Thank you, Professor Aubuchon), the film follows a street gang – named The Warriors – who, accused of a murder they didn’t commit, must negotiate miles of treacherous rival-controlled territory in order to reach the safety of their Coney Island home turf.

Does it hold up? Hmmm. Street gangs sure have come a long way since the late seventies. Those baseball bat-wielding Furies don’t quite instill the same sense of fear they once did -

Sure, in retrospect, not quite as scary as the skinhead Turnbull AC’s or the Grammercy Riffs, but certainly more threatening than their mime-inspired fashion rivals, the Top Hats -

And yet, for all of its faults – stilted dialogue, some equally stilted performances, the hilarious depiction of gritty New York gangs – it remains an enjoyable movie to watch. For very different reasons from when it first wowed me, mind you, but still very entertaining.

Planet of the Apes (1968)

I can’t even remember the number of times I watched this one growing up – often receiving a dispensation from my parents that allowed me to stay up past midnight on a school night to catch it for the twenty-fifth, thirtieth, probably fiftieth time. I delighted in multiple viewings of all the sequels AND the television series, collected the comic books, and owned all of the action figures as well (including multiple ape soldiers). I was such a huge fan that I forced by mother to take me to a traveling theater production of Charley’s Aunt because Roddy McDowall was headlining!

Does it hold up? Hell, yes! Which is why I was so outraged by the Tim Burton redo. Well, that and the fact that it was a truly horrible movie.

Phantasm (1979)

A small town, mysterious deaths, an ice cream truck, a funeral home, a spooky mortician, creepy dwarf minions, a deadly flying silver ball, a portal to another realm – all the makings of one of the most terrifyingly memorable horror films of my youth.

Does it hold up? Hell, yeah! Provided you’re fourteen. A year or two later – not so much.

Star Wars (1977)

Another movie I’ve seen more times than I can count. I actually kept an enormous scrapbook dedicated to the film that I updated, and even checked out the tie-in novels!

Does it hold up? While the scope and story are evergreen, countless smaller moments feel dated. Nevertheless, given the choice, I’d happily watch and re-watch this first film in the series countless times before I’d sit down to watch any of the last three installments.

Rollerball (1975)

In a corporate controlled future, the masses are entertained by the world’s most popular game, Rollerball, a mix of organized sport and warfare. The violent matches are a rating sensation, but when one gifted athlete begins to distinguish himself and rise above his fellow players, he becomes a threat to the global conglomerate running the sport…

Does it hold up? Depends. Are you drinking at the time of viewing? Again, a great concept but the details of its execution are wanting in the light of modern film. They should think about remaking it. No, wait. Scratch that.

Diamonds are Forever (1971)

Oh, there are plenty of Bond films that could have made the list but, reflecting back to my childhood, this one ranks as my favorites (with Live and Let Die – and its brilliant gator-hopping sequence – a close second). It had everything you could want from a Bond film: action, humor, gadgets, gals, colorful villains, and one crazy scheme (this one involving a giant laser).

Does it hold up? Hmmm. With Diamonds are Forever, the Bond series takes a campy turn, one I enjoyed immensely as a child that, in retrospect, feels more like a parody of the original than the original itself. Again, a case where, in spite of its shortcomings, there is much to like here, particularly Blofeld’s creepy-as-hell henchmen, Mr. Wint and Mr. Kidd.

The Poseidon Adventure (1972)

In my opinion, the pinnacle of the master of disaster’s (Irwin Allen) grand catastrophe-themed entries. An all-star cast delivers as the desperate survivors of the doomed Poseidon, an ocean liner upended by a freak tsunami.

Does it hold up? Surprisingly, yes, it does hold up a lot better than I thought it would, in most part owing to some wonderfully suspenseful sequences – and my fear of cruise ships.

Death Race 2000 (1975)

In the not-to-distant future of the year 2000 (!), the fascist state keeps the masses entertained with a violent organized sport. No, not Rollerball! I’m talking about The Transcontinental Road Race, a three-day, coast to coast, ultra-violent extravaganza whose colorful participants score points not only for winning a leg but for mowing down hapless pedestrians as well (I’d personally award them a double score for cyclists, but that’s just me).

Does it hold up? Hell, yeah! It’s a movie that can be appreciated for exactly the same reasons today as it was thirty five years ago: as a joyously silly, cartoonishly violent, over-the-top satire of our obsessions with professional sports, pro athletes, and television.

A Clockwork Orange (1971)

In future England, a young hoodlum facing a lengthy sentence, volunteers for an experimental aversion therapy designed to “turn him off” violence. His return to society proves problematic however...

Does it hold up? As a whole, yes, but, interestingly enough, not for the same reasons it first captured my interest. Looking at it with more mature eyes, the elements that fascinated me in my youth are now either downright silly or repellant while the movie’s message – lost on me way back when – resonates much stronger now.

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1971)

Do you know how much I loved this movie about a kid winning a ticket to tour a magical chocolate factory? I loved it so much I didn’t – and still won’t – consider it a musical. Desserts and dark humor abound in this wonderful film version of the Roald Dahl classic.

Does it hold up? Yes, yes, yes! Chocolate, sweets, and children being dispatched in all sorts of colorful ways! As great as it ever was!

Some honorable mentions:

Westworld (1973)

The robots at a futuristic Western-themed amusement park go bonkers, much to the displeasure of the park’s customers.

Does it hold up? Sure does. Yul Brynner is terrific as a particularly pesky robot gunslinger. In hindsight, maybe outfitting the robots with real guns and bullets may not have been such a good idea.

Damnation Alley (1967)

George Peppard and co. drive thought post-apocalyptic Southern California in a futuristic RV, battling giant cockroachs, in a bid to deliver a desperately-needed plague vaccine.

Does it hold up? In a word: no. In four words: no it does not.

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (1968)

An eccentric (and clearly irresponsible) inventor takes his family on a road trip in a flying car. It may have been intended as a fun children’s movie, but I always viewed it as one of the most accomplished horror films of my childhood. That Child Catcher who went around sniffing out kids scared the **** out of me.

Does it hold up? Afraid not.

The Omega Man (1971)

As my writing partner Paul pointed out, the premise of this movie is every young boy’s dream: the lone, gun-toting survivor of an apocalypse battles for survival against homicidal mutants.

Does it hold up? Oh, hell no. If it’s any consolation, this Charlton Heston version is about as watchable as Will Smith’s version of the fantastic story (I Am Legend) by Richard Matheson.

Children Shouldn’t Play With Dead Things (1973)

My very first zombie movie. And it scared the hell out of me.

Does it hold up? Wait. This was a horror-comedy? A comedy? Zombies have come a long way.

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)

It’s an alien invasion! People are being replaced by pod replicas. Do NOT fall asleep!

Does it hold up? Aside from that WTF moment with the human-faced dog, it does hold up pretty well. The film’s final moment still terrifies.
            sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...-airs-tonight/

June 4, 2010

Video: Island of the Mushroom People (1963)

Photo: Ashleigh

I think Ashleigh, our Executive Producer’s Assistant, is plotting against me. I don’t have any evidence to back this up outside of a sneaking suspicion, a personal hunch, and a presumption based on the uneasy sense of foreboding I experience every time I stroll by her office. She looks like she’s up to something. Don’t believe me? Check this out -

Now, THAT is the look of someone scheming and/or thinking generally nefarious thoughts. What’s she got planned for yours truly (outside of the usual snarky commentary about my personal life)? Who knows. But, just in case, I’m keeping her in my direct line of sight – even walking backwards when I have to.

Hey, Psychology Today mentions a study that found chimps are not unlike humans when it comes to gambling, preferring the “the rush of occasionally hitting the big time, even if it also means occasionally losing out.” (http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...e-thing-bonobo).

Speaking of Ashleigh and potential gambling addiction, guess who’s organizing our inter-office World Cup Pool? Yep, that’s right. Emboldened by both her NCAA Basketball AND NFL Reverse Darkhorse pool wins, Ashleigh has set her sights on making it three for three. And she plans to do it in incredibly lame fashion, choosing Brazil to take it all. Yawn. Carl is, of course, supporting team USA. Ivon is going with with England. Paul walked into my office about an hour ago to announce he was picking the perennially underachieving Netherlands. Remi, who seems to be the only one who knows anything about soccer, is backing Argentina. I, of course, will be supporting Italy.

Some great feedback to yesterday’s entry “Seminal Films From My Youth! Do They Still Hold Up Today?” In addition to input from you blog regulars, we had two former book of the month club authors weigh in. James Enge (Blood of Ambrose, This Crooked Way, and the upcoming The Wolf Age) dropped by to tell us that his fave installment of the Planet of the Apes film series was the third one, Escape from the Planet of the Apes. For my part, I missed the gorillas. Jeffrey Ford (The Empire of Ice Cream, The Shadow Year, The Drowned Life, and many more) also stopped in to respectfully disagree about my take on The Poseidon Adventure, and then offer up some seminal films from his youth including Night of the Living Dead, What’s Up Tiger Lily?, and Island of the Mushroom People. Island of the Mushroom People? Really? I was dubious, until I saw the trailer -

Sold!

My list of seminal films could have been much longer, but I limited myself to mostly genre flicks I watched before I hit the big one five. Other non-genre movies that could have made the list include: The Great Race, The Three Musketeers, The Four Musketeers, The Great Escape, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Longest Yard, Jaws, and It’s A Mad Mad Mad Mad World.

Heard from my agent today. Apparently, Paul and I have closed the deal on that comic book project. We sign the contracts next week and then we can start moving forward on that initial four-issue series.

Speaking of moving forward, once work on SGU’s second season wraps up, I’m going to start work on my can’t-fail pilot script for that new series. I’m very excited about it. It’s a cross-genre show that combines the very best of television’s most popular offerings, the perfect show for anyone who enjoys Tru Blood or Grey’s Anatomy or Criminal Minds or The Good Wife. I can’t give too much away since it’s in its very early development stages, but I can reveal the title: Detective Vampire M.D., Attorney at Law.

Hey, Incursion I airs tonight, the first part of the big Stargate: Universe first season finale (written by yours truly). Check it out, then swing by and chime in with your thoughts. I’ll be here waiting for you.
              sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...heavy-mailbag/

June 5, 2010 - Part 1

Many of you have asked: “What is it like working with author John Scalzi?”. Well, while I can tell you it’s been both fun and informative, I can’t really offer much in the way of details given the secretive nature of his work. As Stargate: Universe’s Creative Consultant, John reads and weighs in on all of the scripts, in addition to providing input on various story ideas. He’s a very knowledgeable guy who can always be counted upon to offer informed advice on everything from vectors of inertia to the politics of woodland creatures.

Take the episode I’m presently working on: Resurgence. The writers had beaten out the story and I was in the midst of writing the outline when I came up against a TBD. A TBD, for those not-in-the-know, is a story element that has yet to be fully realized, a crucial albeit mysterious little piece of the narrative puzzle whose details are shelved for future identification. Like, say, when you actually sit down to write the outline. TBD. To Be Decided. And it was time to decide. I spent the better part of the morning wracking my brain, trying to come up with something clever and cool (and made sense). And then it suddenly dawned on me. Hey, why am I so miserable? We have a Creative Consultant! Why not make him miserable too?

I sent off the following email to John Scalzi [note: in order to avoid giving away any spoilers, I offer a slightly edited version of our exchange].

“Joe Mallozzi here. I was sitting at my desk agonizing over my latest Stargate outline when it suddenly hit me. Hey, why don’t I share the love and have John agonize over it as well.

So the basic premise has Destiny [redacted]. While [redacted], they [redacted] that opens [redacted]. They [redacted] in [redacted]. The reason? Well, here’s where you come in. I was discussing the idea with Brad and we threw out the idea of [redacted] that [redacted]. Of course, the big question then is why doesn’t [redacted]? Perhaps [redacted]? Alternately, we were considering the possibility of [redacted], a result of [redacted], that somehow [redacted] between the [redacted]. Thoughts? And, no we can’t have space dolphins magically appear and [redacted]. I already pitched that out and, for some reason, Brad wasn’t enthused. I think maybe Battlestar already did it.”

Moments later, I received a response from John:

“First, this show’s bias against space dolphins SICKENS me and always has.

[Redacted] won’t work tremendously well because [redacted] without something to [redacted] (and [redacted] would [redacted]).

But I did think of something that might work for your purposes; Destiny, as you know, has [redacted]. Why not [redacted]?

Opportunities for drama include:

1. Redacted

2. It can give you a “[redacted]” issue, in either a) there’s [redacted] and/or b) you can have [redacted];

3. Either way it’ll have to be [redacted] who [redacted].

Let me know if this helps.”

Well, you’ll no doubt agree, this helped tremendously. I wrote back:

“Love it. However, I need the [redacted] to be [redacted] so that they don’t simply [redacted]. I want them to be [redacted]. That said, what would be the likelihood of their being able to [redacted]?”

And he replied:

“If [redacted], I think it could be pretty likely. Just have your [redacted] be [redacted], and have that [redacted] be [redacted]. [Redacted] a lot [redacted].”

So. there you have it. A rare glimpse a the creative process at work. Magical, isn’t it?

Anyway, I wrote the script and received John’s notes on Thursday. All great. I’ll be incorporating them into the next draft which comes out next week.

Speaking of which – I fear that this script may end up being a little short. Anyone have any suggestions for an extra scene?

Mailbag:

Mishmee writes: “One my brother and I loved as kids was the 1979 The In-Laws, with Peter Falk and Alan Arkin.”

Answer: One of Carl’s favorites.

Zoomeister writes: “

1.) Are we going to get a Ben Browder (Cameron Micthell) appearance on SGU or in ANYTHING Stargate-verse related in the near future? I happen to be a huge fan of the character and actor and I was pretty disappointed to learn that he’s apparently not going to be appearing in Stargate: Revolution. Will we be seeing any more Browder/Cam any time soon?

2.) Are we going to get a fun, Riley-based episode any time soon?”

Answers: 1) It’s possible. Time will tell.

2) No plans for a Riley-based episode per se, but it’s very possible we’ll see Riley or any of our supporting cast play a pivotal role in a given episode.

Becky writes: “You probably have already answered this question, but what happens if, while using the stones, one of the hosts dies?”

Answer: Good question. It remains to be seen, but past experience would suggest it would kill both participants.

ZeroPointBatteries writes: “ok joe great epp sofar but why didn’t carter just beam out the two pilots that were on their way back to the hammond?”

Answer: She certainly could have tried, but the time spent locking onto their lifesigns and transporting aboard were precious seconds needed to escape. Faced with the tough call, she elected to take the sure thing and waste no time retreating, saving the lives of all those aboard the Hammond.

Kymm writes: “Why would the connection not break when Telford/Rush died?”

Answer: Another incident that points to the possibility that, rather than simply severing the connection, killing one will kill both.

crayonbaby writes: “What’s your take on writers of the scriptwriting persuasion getting into the comic trade?”

Answer: Scriptwriters writing novels. Comic book writers scripting movies. Authors writing for television. I think it’s great.

Arctic Goddess writes: “A question regarding your comic book series. Have you had to lay out any of your own money to get this off the ground, or is it more like writing a novel and getting your agent to sell it for you?”

Answer: Our agent and lawyer negotiated the deal.

Former SGU Watcher writes: “No explaination why the Lucian Alliance would want to go to Destiny when it is known to them it will be a one way trip with only a 0.0001% chance they can return. What could they gain by going there?”

Answer: Just because an explanation isn’t immediately offered doesn’t mean one doesn’t exist.

Former SGU Watcher writes: “With the LA knowing the situation aboard the Destiny from Telford, they took even LESS equipment and supplies than the humans from Icarus?”

Anwer: Because, like the humans from Icarus Base, while they may have planned to head through the gate at some point, they didn’t plan on doing it so soon. The attack on the base was unexpected and they were forced to escape through the gate with what they had at hand.

HBMC writes: “

The way the Lucian Alliance succeeded in Incursion 1 was just absurd, especially when you consider at the start of the ep we saw it was possible to have a person unconscious on the ground after a few mins of venting air.

You vent the air for half that amount of time, and every LA member is then on the ground gasping for air, which incapacitates them, which then allows Young’s group to rush in and take them all without firing a shot.”

Answer: Ah, the benefits of Monday morning quaterbacking. Young vents the atmosphere in Telford’s quarters in order to kill him – bring him to the brink and back – because he has no other options. That is the only proven way to overcome the brainwashing. And there was no guarantee it would even work.

The same logic would apply to the attackers in the gate room. Yes, he could have vented the atmosphere immediately and killed them as per his initial plan, but when he saw Telford come through the gate, he elected to offer the Lucian Alliance the opportunity to surrender. It wouldn’t have cost him anything but time and could well have saved Telford’s life. If they’d refused, he would simply go back to Plan A and vent the atmosphere – which he does, but too late because the attackers have technology he wasn’t expecting them to have.

Immediately venting the atmosphere and waiting until they were presumably incapacitated would have made even less sense. How would you know who is incapacitated and who isn’t incapacitated? How could you be certain that some Lucian Alliance members couldn’t be holding their breath, playing possum, in the same amount of time it would take for Telford to suffocate?
                sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...heavy-mailbag/

June 5, 2010 - Part 2

HBMC writes: “Sure, Telford is gasping for air alongside them, but really, removing the oxygen from a room doesn’t kill people instantly. 20 seconds would’ve been enough time.”

Answer: But the Lucian Alliance is still armed. Why risk it when you can either: a) give them the opportunity to surrender and save Telford or b) simply vent the atmosphere and kill them all?

imadaman writes: “Why didn’t the F-302 pilots use the Hyperdrive on the ships to jump out from the AoE? (Area of Explosion)”

Answer: Presumably they believed they could make it back to the ship in time or their hyperdrive engines could have been damaged in the attack.

jinx writes: “Why is the “Lootin’ Liance” using earth style weapons?”

Answer: The Alliance, as the name implies, is made up of a coalition of various groups, so it’s very likely they’ll have access to very different weapons and resources.

jinx also writes: “What was the purpose of the Camille character…”

Answer: She is the one pushing for negotiation in order to save the lives of the hostages. And we’ll see her step up next episode as well.

jinx also writes: “In comparison with the Camille character yes, she is lesbian but I felt you really didn’t give us much past who she sleeps with. What was it like growing up being an Asian in a traditional family when her goals were far more western.”

Answer: We’ve established that Camille is in a healthy, grounded and supportive relationship which is in stark contrast to her lonely existence aboard the ship. Back on Earth, we see beyond that cold shell to the warm, caring, and loved individual she really is. That is, in my opinion, far more interesting than finding out whether or not her parents supported her in her career decision. You’re oversimplifying by saying all that Life accomplished was to show who Camille happens to be sleepinh with. That would be akin to saying all those ten years of SG-1 accomplished was to show who those people were working with.

kabra writes: “ So just to make sure I got this correct, Telford is now aboard Destiny physically and mentally? So how does this open the doors for more Destiny/Earth travel????”

Answer: It doesn’t. The power source – the planet – was destroyed. But, to answer your first question – yes, Telford is now aboard Destiny.

Shannon writes: “Where do you guys get your World of Warcraft references?”

Answer: I thought it would be a funny gag, then did a little research to make sure it actually made sense to you WoW players.

Dodoalda writes: “

1) Did LA guys found those “door openers” somewhere or they just created them using Telford’s informations about the Destiny he told them?

2) Is that elevator mechanical or it’s more like SGA’s transporters?

3)And my traditional at the end: Is Joel Goldsmith planning to release the SGU soundtrack?”

Answers: 1) Telford was unaware they possessed this technology.

2) Mechanical. And it can go sideways!

3) Don’t know. Sorry.

Major D. Davis writes: “Im like CUT THE CONNECTION AND THEN VENT THE ATMOSPHERE! Then revive telford like you did at the beginning of the episode.”

Answer: As I already said – easier said than done. Just because it worked the first time doesn’t mean it would the second. Sometimes, attempts to ressucitate people don’t work – and they stay dead. Given the information Young had, he lost nothing by giving the LA an opportunity to surrender. What he wasn’t banking on was the technology they possessed. They surprised him. Happens in battle a lot.

kabra writes: “What’s the difference between “back ordered” and “out of stock”? Either way the item isn’t in the inventory and you still have to wait for it to arrive. Is one or the other suppose to make me feel better as a customer?”

Answer: Yes. “Back ordered” should comfort you in the knowledge that the item in question is already enroute.

lkk222 writes: “why didn’t they just vent the atmosphere, and as the Luciens were grasping for air, go in, shoot them one by one in the back of the head, easy picking”

Answer: Except that they’re all armed and extremely dangerous. Wouldn’t it be easier to just vent the atmosphere and kill them that way?

lk222 also writes: “ or just station soldiers behind/sightly to the side of the stargate, so as the lucians came out one by one, they can be shot in the back.. as they are struggling to get up… why give the enemies the time to regroup and form an assault?”

Answer: Again, why put lives at risk? Why put your men in potential harm’s way when you can simply vent the atmosphere from outside the room?

lkk222 also writes: “not enough dead people! not enough dead people!!!”

Answer: Our guys were in retreat while their guys were looking to take hostages rather than kill.

lk222 also writes: “joe, what are the limits of the communication stones? can a human use it to swap bodies with say a dolphin? or an ant? or a guaold snake?”

Answer: No idea. I’m sure someone somewhere is working on this.

lkk222 also writes: “and speaking of sex, i’ve always wondered… if someone makes a Stargate themed porn, would they get sued?”

Answer: Probably. I strongly urge you to reconsider.

Brandon Williford writes: “Did you have any idea that it would end up being so much fun when you were bashing your head against the keyboard?”

Answer: It’s always a lot more fun than bashing your head against a keyboard. Also, great responses to some of the questions asked – particularly to the individual outraged by the fact that we haven’t immediately explained why the Lucian Alliance wants Destiny.

Kevin writes: “Young vents Telford’s room to undo the brainwashing and manages to revive him…yet doesn’t vent the gateroom the moment the L.A invades for concern over Rush/Telford. He could’ve vented the room and tried reviving Telford again..no 100% certainty it’d work but Telford would have understood the risks. Much better to do that then allow armed boarders to gain a foothold.”

Answer: Again, this is Monday morning quarterbacking. You’re criticizing Young’s decision with the knowledge of what happened. He didn’t have that luxury. Given everything he knew at the time, it would have cost nothing to give them the opportunity to surrender. He could have simply vented the atmosphere anyway if they’d refused.

Also, given the amount of time it took for Telford to collapse when he was losing oxygen, it’s more than likely the Lucian Alliance would have been able to get those doors open anyway.

vvv0472 writes: “Technically speaking, if the Lucian Alliance can dial Destiny in another universe from their Icarus-type planet, could they have dialed Atlantis in another galaxy as well?”

Answer: Yep.
                  sigpic

Comment

I loved all those 'redacted's; It was like reading some CIA release, until the space dolphins, LOL!

Couldn't agree more on the quarterbacking
                    sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...sked-and-dogs/

June 6, 2010

Photos: "urine sample", Masked edited by Lou Anders, Lulu, Maximus, Jelly, Bubba

Seriously, what does a guy got to do to get a good slice of pizza in Vancouver? Without leaving Vancouver? We tried a few places tonight. Our first stop is purported to be the best pizza in the city, Nat’s Pizza, which serves a New York style version of the Italian staple. Unfortunately, the by-the-slice selection was mighty slim pickings (a couple of veggie options and the Hawaiian, of course) so we hopped back into the car and motored over a tiny hole-in-the-wall I’d heard about. The placed looked kind of seedy from the outside but when you were inside – well, the pizza’s looked just as sketchy. So back it was back to the car and another drive over to another place where I had a slice of very salty pepperoni and cheese. Then, back in the car again and over to yet another place where I sampled a trio of slices – a not very good pesto, a not very good meat lovers, and a so-so spicy triple sausage. I ended up having to drown my sorrows with ice cream.

Pizza? Ice cream?! I know, I know. I do usually eat better but today. I had steelcut Irish oatmeal for breakfast and, thanks to my buddy Ivon, I’m now juicing on a semi-regular basis. About a week ago, I was talking to Fondy and mentioned I was thinking of picking up a juicer – only to have her inform me that we had one. It had been sitting in an unopened box under the sink for the past eight years!

So I’ve been mixing and matching various fruits and vegetables. I’m partial to carrots, green apples, beets, and ginger. Broccoli, not so much.

Speaking of Ivon – did I mention he’ll be joining me on my annual trip to Tokyo this December? Yep, looks like I’ll have a wingman to back me up. Why do I have a feeling I’ll probably be doing as much drinking as eating this time out?

Editor Lou Anders dropped me an email to let me know that designer Richard Yoo is blogging about the cover to that superhero anthology, Masked, of which I am a modest contributor.

Richard talks about some initial concepts for the cover, some alternate ideas and sketches from artist Trever Hairsine, and offers a peek at both the finished front and back cover: http://www.richieyoo.com/index.php?/ongoing/blog/. The book comes out in late July and boasts a terrific roster of writers including some heavy-hitters from the world of comics.

I leave you with some pics of the pooches enjoying their typically lazy Sunday afternoons...

We kick off prep week on episode #10, Resurgence, tomorrow with a nine o clock concept meeting. Hurray!
                      sigpic

Comment

The fact that so many people are asking questions about why didn't they vent the atmosphere of the Gateroom before the LA came aboard is amusing to me. I think this scene wasn't thought out well...

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...hear-from-you/

June 7, 2010

Video: Person's Unknown

Photo: Remi Aubuchon

Prep week for episode #10, Resurgence, kicked off today with a 9:00 a.m. concept meeting. Those in attendance included all department heads, Director Will Waring (yes, apparently he IS directing this one), my writing partner Paul (who sat in to get a sense of who will be where on that new set), and yours truly. Assistant Director Alex Pappas ran the meeting, guiding us through the script, stopping only to direct questions my way or regale us with tales of his youth spent as the Entertainment Director of a local Buddhist community center. As Paul predicted, we ended up mired in the “Who’s where?” logistics of the new set and, after much discussion and dialogue tweaking, it was decided I would have to offer detailed positioning of each player in my next draft. I actually ended up sketching out a handy diagram in the margin of each scene to keep it all straight!. It looked something like this:

X X X

xx

X X

And it’s various brevpy variations.

After a ten minute break, we sat down for a very brief Art Department meeting – very brief because we’d had a pre-concept meeting meeting last week in which we’d brought in Wray and Scott from SPFX to discuss how we planned to shoot one of episode’s more interesting sequences. There was talk of ramps, rigs, cranes, and parallelograms until we finally decided on our game plan. More talk of relative speed and vectors of intertia, this time initiated by Paul rather than our Creative Consultant John Scalzi.

Next up was the props meeting – which proved equally brief. Talk of backpacks, pelican cases, weapons, shovels, crowbars, and big-ass flashlights.

After which we rolled right into another short meeting: Costumes.

Since we’d already had our preliminary discussion with the Special Effects team, the Stunts and Special Effects meeting went quickly. A couple of stunts, atmosphere that shouldn’t look like atmosphere, and sound and fury.

Given the brevity of the meetings so far, you’d think this episode would be relatively inexpensive. Think again because, tomorrow, we’re looking at THE meeting – Visual Effects – which is scheduled to run for an hour and a half, but could go longer. The 8:30 a.m. Playback meeting that precedes it is also going to be busy. Also on deck tomorrow: Extras and Hair & Make-Up.

Well, tonight’s the night! 10:00 p.m. NBC. The premiere of Persons Unknown...

It has an intriguing premise and, most important of all, was Exec Produced by none other than SGU’s Remi Aubuchon.

Speaking of Remi, I think it’s high time he got the official Stargate fan welcome – and no better way for the fans to officially welcome him than with a trial by fire, coal-raking, fan Q&A. So, if you’ve got questions for Remi, start posting them. Ask him about SGU! Persons Unknown! How delightful Joe is to work with!

And make sure to check out his show tonight. It’s common courteous, after all.

Mailbag:

Rex Carter writes: “One question though if the sgc should find another a 3rd icarus planet with enough naquadria desposits in it to gate to Destiny can they only use it once one shot per icarus planet and of course one-way travel to destiny.”

Answer: Theoretically, yes, they would be able to make multiple one-way trips to Destiny.

Ytimynona writes: “By “juicer” do you mean blender?”

Answer: Nope. I use the blender to make smoothies, and the juicer (that extracts the juice and discards the fiber) for juice.

SG7 writes: “With ScyFy moving SGU to Tuesdays, do you think that SPACE will do the same? And have you done any Q&A’s with Louis Ferreira or BrianJSmith? And if you haven’t are you planning on any with either of them?”

Answer: I don’t know what SPACE has planned for season two. As for Louis and Brian – I haven’t asked Louis yet, but Brian did a Q&A prior to the show’s premiere – http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...erse-premiere/

dasNdanger writes: “Joe…you stopped reading Wolverine Origins and Dark Wolverine, right?”

Answer: I stopped reading everything, but am still picking up trade paperbacks of The Walking Dead and Scalped. I’ll certainly pick up both of your recommendations and check them out.

JulieAloha writes: “Are you thin crust or pan pizza man? Tomato, white, pesto sauce or other? Wild toppings or standard?”

Answer: Depends on my mood, but I tend to prefer the New York style thin over the Chicago deep dish. While I’m more than happy to experiment with exotic ingredients, I like to keep the toppings minimal.

Louis answers: “On the topic of SGU though Joe I was wondering if I could ask u a small question, will we by any chance be introduced to any other LGBT characters onboard the Destiny in the future?”

Answer: It’s possible, yes.

Mix-Martes writes: “Hey Joe, just read the other day’s post about that World Cup pool and I was wondering… why no-one bet on Spain to win it?”

Answer: I think it could be because they’re a perennial underachiever.

Fiorenzo writes: “I have a question that you might not be able to answer but giving it a try anyway (note: I’m also a Lost fan) … do Brad and Robert already know how the series is going to end?”

Answer: As a matter of fact, yes, they do.

JeffW writes: “You could try making your own Pizza, or am I missing the point?”

Answer: I know, I know. My mother makes her own pizza and I really should make the effort but, well, it’s so much effort.

Chevron7 writes: “Btw, how are Brie and Stewie doing?”

Answer: They’re doing well. Apparently, very needy.

Tammy Dixon writes: “Sorry, Mr. M., I’ll try to keep the post down after this but do you know when/where Brian J. Smith’s film “Murder on the Orient Express” is going to be shown?”

Answer: Alas, I don’t. I’d suggest posting the question to Brian on twitter.

Salmo writes: “Way back when I used to live in Kits and Sympatico on Fourth Ave. was was the place for pizza. Is it still there?”

Answer: Doesn’t ring a bell.

steph writes: “1) Are there any rules/standards as to what you are allowed to do when using another person’s body (i.e. having sex with someone)?
                          2) Will we be meeting Dr. or military officer Cassandra any time soon? I know an episode of SG1 showed her in the future talking to the team, which implies she has access to the base.
                          3) Is there any chance of meeting some of the cool peoples we met previously (i.e. Asgard, Tollan, Nox, the old man whose wife died in Babylonia)?
                          4) Do you believe commanders of ships out all alone in space become alike or is it happenstance that there are many similarities between Col. Young and Admiral Adama of BSG?”

Answers: 1) Common sense dictates behavior although participants are required to sign a waiver.

2) No plans to revisit the Cassandra character.

3) Again, no plans to introduce alien elements from either of the previous shows.

4) Didn’t see BSG, but I imagine most commanders would need to demonstrate both unwavering strength and compassion. A tricky combination.
                          sigpic

Comment

*happy dance at the thought of an LF Q&A*
                            sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Originally posted by xxxevilgrinxxx View Post
                              *happy dance at the thought of an LF Q&A*
                              Yes! He finally answered one of my questions for a change.

Though I think that by the time I usually get to reply, it's so far down the thread that he probably doesn't read down that far
                              My Life Motto: There are no wrong roads in life just paths that lead to unexpected Adventures.
                              "Ago simplex sic alius may simplex ago" - Live simply, so other's may simply live - Ghandi

Comment

Originally posted by SG7 View Post
                                Yes! He finally answered one of my questions for a change.

Though I think that by the time I usually get to reply, it's so far down the thread that he probably doesn't read down that far
                                lol oh noes I left my first comment! *nervous*

Comment

Working...
                                X