Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joseph Mallozzi's Blog! (SPOILERS For All SG Shows and Dark Matter)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...obust-mailbag/

August 22, 2009 - Part 1

Photos: Your very own alien non-prop rock, Food, Carl Binder

Several weeks ago, this blog hosted its very first Caption This contest. After considering countless inspired entries, contest judge Carl Binder selected the winner: none other than blog regular JES who took home the grand prize. Well, actually, he didn’t take anything home because I hadn’t decided on a prize at the time. But I have know. And so, today, it is with great pride that I make the grand prize announcement!

Congratulations, JES! Check out the pics below to see what you’ve won!

That’s right! It’s your very own alien non-prop rock! And it comes with the following certificate of authenticity:

“This is a one-of-a-kind, limited edition “alien” non-prop rock from the set of Stargate: Universe, Episode #14, Human. Although similar in appearance, texture, and taste to the various other “alien” non-prop rocks that appeared in the episode, this one is special in that it is the one I, Consulting Producer Joseph Mallozzi, picked up off the ground while strolling through a darkened Stage 5 looking for a way out.

Furthermore, this rock may have been trodden upon by any member of the SGU crew from Director Robert Cooper to that guy with the baggy orange shorts that carries the ladder around, in addition to certain actors including, but not limited to: Brian J. Smith, Elyse Levesque, David Blue, and Jamil Walker Smith.

For external use only.”

Congratulations again, JES! Oh, and send me your address.

Last night, birthday dinner with Carl at Fuel. Corn soup, crispy duck, a special rabbit dish, and birthday upside-down plum cake.
    sigpic
    The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...obust-mailbag/

August 22, 2009 - Part 2

And now, let’s move on to a robust mailbag -

Terry writes: “I’ll be tuning into season five of Supernatural. Have you ever seen it?”

Answer: Hey, Terry. Welcome back! No, I haven’t watched Supernatural – but I have heard very good things.

DasNdanger writes: “Well, I guess that didn’t include me, BUT I did offer you chocolate sushi!”

Answer: And it was much appreciated. Alas, I get to Toronto – the store’s location – about as often as I get to Albuquerque. But Ivon heads back ever hiatus so maybe I can convince him to run a little errand while he’s there.

Major D. Davis writes: “What do you do for your workout? Is it a program you follow, or just do random stuff. Like do you do it at home or at the gym?”

Answer: I alternate, one day weights, one day cardio, and change my work-out every two weeks. Weight training days are split into upper body (chest, shoulders, back, biceps, and triceps) while lower body days focus on legs and abs – mid to heavy weight to failure. On cardio days I hit the treadmill alternating between a healthy jog to full-out serial-killer-is-chasing-you sprints.

Major D. Davis also writes: “Just out of curiosity, does Mark watch Eureka?”

Answer: I don’t know. You should invite him to a con and ask him.

Sorrykb writes: “OK, so now we’re all wondering if Ashleigh and Lawren are getting married….”

Answer: If they were, I’m sure Ashleigh’s boyfriend would be a very unhappy guy.

Aud writes: “Also, just wondering, but is each character going to get an episode that focuses on themselves this season?”

Answer: Different characters may be spotlighted more in different episodes but, for the most part, the stories will reflects the show’s ensemble nature.

Lee writes: “A few days ago, you mentioned Air would use an “established contemporary tune”. You probably can’t tell us the name of the song, but any hints as to who the performer is?”

Answer: I’m embarrassed to say that, while I remember the song, I don’t remember the title or the artist. Also, even though it was Air I referenced, contemporary songs will feature throughout the show’s first season.

MaggieMayDay writes: “Winter in Japan means yaki-imo carts in the neighborhoods. Is this a treat you’ve had the chance to try?”

Answer: Not the last time I was there but I’ll certainly sample some when I’m there in this winter. I love sweet potatoes.

PG15 writes: “1. Is the title of the episodes, “Incursion”? Plus “part 1? and “part 2? where necessary, of course.

2. So is this it then? It’s for sure going to be a 2-parter? I mean, unless something unforeseen happens?”

Answer: 1. Brilliant deductions. Why, yes, it is.

2. And, yes, it will certainly be a two-parter. We are all in agreement.

Nadine writes: “Well, I finally got my MCAT out of the way (it’s the test you have to write for medical school applications) and let me tell you, 5 hour exams are not my idea of a good time. Given that, my brain is feeling a little fried so if bits of this comment don’t make sense, that would be why…”

Answer: When, I first read this, I thought you’d gone in for a CAT Scan (and your brain was fried to boot!) and I was going to wish you the best on those test results. Having re-read your comment, I’m going to wish you good luck on those test results all the same. Pleased to hear you enjoyed Campagnolo.

Quade1 writes: “Happy Birthday to Carl, how old is he now? nevermind that the real question is did he REALLY write Pocahontas?”

Answer: Yes, he did write Pocahontas, and he reminds us of this fact ALL the time. Whenever we’re giving him script notes, it’s always: “Believe you me, this isn’t the way we used to do things on Pocahontas!” or “I don’t have to take this! I wrote freakin’ Pocahantas!” or “I’m sorry, remind me again. What was the last Disney animated feature YOU wrote?”. Oh, and I believe he turned 32.

Kdvb1 writes: “Just finding it a bit humorous Joe that you nailed some fans for “name call(ing) like a bunch of children” which was a valid complaint and in my opinion true. Erm…but then you name called them “raving loon(s)”.”

Answer: I actually said that bad behavior on the part of certain fans helps to reinforce the negative stereotypes of fandom, said behavior crossing the line from spirited to raving loon. I could add alarmingly obsessive as well. You need look no further than many of the ways fandom has been represented in mass media, in everything from SNL skits to movies.

Airelle writes: “Can you ship back chocolates from Japan? Are they known for any good chocolates, bon bons, etc.?”

Answer: Tokyo is foodie heaven. They’re tops in everything, from fish to beef to fresh fruits and vegetables to desserts. I don’t know if they ship (I’d advise against it given how long it would take), but purchasing something while I’m visiting and bringing it back with me is certainly an option.

Luis writes: “Joe where is Brie????…..”

Answer: Brie had surgery last week and is being kept apart from the other dogs until she gets her stitches removed. She is presently sporting the cone of shame.

Elanthra writes: “For me, though, your assurances that the movie will go ahead, eventually, simply because you and Paul have written the script and have been very busy drawing up production plans just won’t wash… it wouldn’t be the first time, in your line of work, that a project has been dropped, even at this stage. And you’d always expressed surprise at the cancellation of the show… i.e you might have been the last to know?”

Answer: True and, not having received definitive word on the fate of the SGA movie from the studio (contrary to rumor) I can only offer my opinion. And my opinion is that the movie will be produced.

Alyjude writes: “Season 1 (figures unk)

Season 2: 62,142 units sold = $2,248,919 (average cost per set @ $35+) – The DVD set didn’t make enough the second week to remain on list

Season 3: 70,763 units sold = $2,299,090 (average cost per set: $32) and again, didn’t maintain enough sales to remain on chart for 2nd week

Season 4: 85,680 units sold = $2,740,903 (average cost per set: $31) but made it to the second week with a 53% drop in sales, but was dropped from the list for week 3

Season 5: 106,161 units sold = $3,297,361 (average cost per set: $31)
      For week two, it remained on the list even with a 68% drop in sales – and remained on the list for an unprecedented third week with sales dropping to 38,988 units sold.

So in spite of costs for the sets remaining basically the same – Season 5 outdid all previous seasons and remained on the sales charts for three! weeks. Not even SG1 managed that.”

Answer: Hey, Alyjude, thanks for this! It affirms what I said in my post – that there is no way the studio would scrap the movie and blame the fans for lack of support. It just doesn’t make sense. It also reaffirms my confidence that this movie WILL get made. That said, I’m not privy to all of the variables and considerations the studio weighs in deciding on whether and when to move forward. Still, this is very heartening. Do you have specific source links? (My attempts to search out the data on the site has proven frustrating and futile)? Would love to pass this info along.

Alyjude also writes: “Okay, so with numbers like that – and the movie still not firmed up – no contracts signed – why should anyone be surprised that the fans feel like the movie is being scrapped (even if only temporarily)?”

Answer: I never objected to fans feeling frustrated or making assumptions on the fate of the movie. I objected to a fan claiming to have insider information that the movie WAS scrapped and that the studio pinned the blame on the fans. As I said, your data clearly supports the fact that this wouldn’t be the case.

Alyjude also writes: “But maybe SGU is costing more than expected? *arched eyebrow* No money left for the movie?”

Answer: Alas, it doesn’t work that way. There’s no communal Stargate pot from which the various productions draw from. Each budget is approved on a project by project basis.

Cyn writes: “Honestly, can you blame any fan for being frustrated at this point?”

Answer: I’ve never blamed fans for being frustrated. But I do blame some of them for crossing the line in the way they’ve expressed their frustration.

Mrs.Hamill writes: “Sorry, but I don’t believe it, and will not believe it until/if the movie is airing on TV or is selling on DVD. The ‘rumors’ are far more than that, and have been stated by certain people who are quite close to you, Mr. Mallozzi.”

Answer: Sorry, you’re wrong. There is no way anyone “close” to me would claim the movie had been canceled or, more specifically, had been canceled due to a “lack of fan support”. Furthermore, why the rush to cancel the movie? It’s not as if we had an approved budget, were in the midst of prep, and suddenly had disaster befall us. Even if present economic factors dictate against moving forward at this time, why call the whole thing off when it would be wiser to simply wait until the situation improves? Delaying production is one thing, but outright canceling the movie doesn’t make sense. Perhaps your purported inside source can shed some light on this. I look forward to hearing his/her reasoning.

Riley writes: “I shudder to think of the kinds of comments you’ve received (and, obviously, not approved) that have led to this post.”

Answer: Surprisingly, no offensive comments here. I’ve approved all comments and only had to edit out an offending line in one. So far, both sides in the debate have been well-behaved. On this blog anyway.

Mercury973 writes: “I cannot speak for anyone but myself. I feel angry. After getting good rating and a People’s Choice award, the show is suddenly axed. Then the very next day, we learn that SGU has been greenlit. Then we read that there is a push for a younger viewing demographic, which seems odd since I know that a good chuck of the viewers are women in the 30-40s. Then we read flippant remarks about how we just need to support the new show, but that it won’t be like the other shows. Darker-edger. Right there, that turns me off, since I don’t want a darker Stargate. The humor and tongue in cheekishness (is that a word?) made me fall for the show in the 1st place.”

Answer: Hi, Mercury973. Thanks for dropping by. Some fans seem to forget that I was equally disappointed with the cancellation (you can check out my entries on the subject). And, I agree, the timing of the SGU announcement was – uh – “unfortunate” (something else I’ve commented on several times). The “push for younger views” was not something that either the studio or the production emphasized and a look at the cast should dispel the notion that we were looking to do “Stargate 90210”. Yes, admittedly the show will be darker, but I can assure you that it will still contain the Stargate sense of humor that fans have enjoyed – and that, quite frankly, we enjoy writing.

Unegawaya writes: “How do you write fully formed stories, where do you get your ideas, and what do you do when you hit a wall? I’m an aspiring writer (of anything, really, though I like writing stories and books) and I can’t seem to stay focused on any one story long enough to figure out where I want to go with it.”

Answer: To be honest, discipline comes with a looming deadline. If I had all the time in the world, I probably wouldn’t get anything done either. But knowing I HAVE to finish up by a set date is the greatest motivator.
      sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...d-the-mailbag/

August 23, 2009

Photos: The dogs

I’m taking the weekend off to read, study my Japanese, watch some dvd’s, and spend quality time with the dogs. It’s amazing how much they appreciate a leisurely walk or something as simple as having company while sunning themselves out in the backyard. Those of you who haven’t been following the dogs on twitter – what’s up with that? You’ll find a link at the bottom right sidebar. Here’s what you’ve been missing:

Well, I finalized my Tokyo restaurant list and sent it to the hotel concierge. Hopefully, she’ll be able to get me reservations so that my lunches and dinner will looks something like this:

Lunches: Chez Matsuo (for the stewed baby boar with white bean puree), Chikuyotei (eel restaurant), Dai San Harumi (sushi), Faro (for the Lombardo-imported risotto with black truffles), Fukamachi (tempura restaurant), Ginza La Tour (for the four hour long roasted foie gras infused with sauterne), Gordon Ramsay (for the oven-roasted pigeon wrapped in prosciutto with foie gras, confit of legs, mushroom ragout, prune puree and almond foam), Hirosaku (for the Charcoal grilled Japanese black cattle with salt, Miravile (for the baked Japanese ox tail, pig’s feet, and foie gras pie served with truffled red wine sauce), Piatto Suzuki (for the Agu pork), Quintessence (for the Goat’s milk Bavarian cream with salt and olive oil, three hour roast pork, and meringue ice cream), Sawada (for the 3 hour sushi extravaganza), Sushi Saito (f0r the two week icebox-aged tuna), and Kyubei (the inventors of the gunkan-maki).

Dinners: Aroma Fresca (for some awesome Italian), Aronia de Takazawa (for the chef’s unique culinary masterpieces), Dazzle (for the stunning decor), Kadowai (for the foie gras soba), Les Creations de Narisawa (for the Creative modern French cuisine), Ishikawa (3 star Michelin), La Bombance (for the grilled treasures), La Rochelle Shibuya (stomping grounds of iron chef French Hiroyuki Sakai), Monnalisa Marunouchi (for the roast lamb covered with an herb and salt pie dough served with basil-flavored cream), Ristornate Aso (for the Miyazaki and Sedai beef grilled on charcoal and served with black pepper-flavored mascarpone and the sauteed foie gras topped with zabaione and black truffle sauce), Ryugin (for the inventive cuisine), Tapas Molecular Bar (where every dish is a mini science experiment), Yonemura (for the kaisei ryori), and Yamada Chikara (chef worked at both Ebulli and The Fat Duck).

Pray for Mojo.

Mailbag:

DasNdanger writes: “I liked Weapon X best (the X-Men books are okay, but I might drop a couple soon because I prefer lone characters to teams).”

Answer: Loved the final throw down where they pause, move away from the school bus, and continue. Also loved the “how does it end?” question, suggesting Logan’s opponent already knows how this particular battle will end.

DC writes: “Any ideas on how to get these animals to like me?”

Answer: Treats are always a safe bet.

Luis writes: “Joe if it’s not to much trouble can you get a pic of Brie with the “Dreaded Hood”??”

Answer: It’s off and she’s back to her old rascally self.

JYS writes: “what?! You were at Fuel yesterday?!”

Answer: No, Carl and I were there Friday. I wanted to drop by last night to say hello to the protester but, unfortunately, couldn’t make it.

Arctic Goddess writes: “I love the Non-prop Rock. Does it become a prop if an actor picks it up and hurls it at someone?”

Answer: That it does.

Kabra writes: “Ok so Joe I am confused – who is getting married???”

Answer: I haven’t a clue. A friend of Lawren’s.

Eric.Stewart: “Re:this entry on your blog :
        “Eric.Stewart writes: “I’ll be frank with you, I am still trying to understand why it was so important for this Stargate to include a female gay character and why does she has to be a visible minority (Asian).”
        Answer: See above for the first part of your question. As for why she’s a visible minority – when we were casting the role, we weren’t looking to cast the role of “the lesbian character”. We were looking to cast the role of Camile Wray. Ming was hired because she’s an incredible actress and her audition blew us away.”

I don’t like this answer. I think it is too convenient. Were the 20 episodes scripts written before the auditions? No, scripts are written after the actors are cast in their roles. I’m voicing a legitimate concern and from what I saw on the last teaser, I have reasons to voice a concern.

Now I could take time to point out these things to you, but you obviously don’t seem interested, so I won’t even bother wasting the time to point them out to you. I will suggest you take the long run and revisit the sites.

Remember, while it can take several reasons to do something, it often takes I good one not to do it. I unlike you will never write, to someone who takes the time to voice a concern to me, something like “see above”. Above where??? I need to research my answers now???!!!”

Answer: If you’d like a direct response to your concern, how about stating one? I’ve re-read your initial post twice now and still haven’t a clue as to the point you are trying to make. You suggest something – that we’re doing a disservice to minorities by making a minority character a lesbian – but don’t actually come out and say it. And, frankly, I don’t blame you because, if that is the case, you don‘t exactly come across too well. But, for the record, in response to your frustration in not wishing to research your answers – and since you can’t be bothered to read sections of an entry that don’t apply directly to you or be bothered to scroll up a few lines to the answer directly above your question, allow me to cut and paste. You asked “why was it so important to have a lesbian character?” In the preceding answer, I replied: “I think that, in general, more can be done to reflect society’s diverse make-up.” And, again, I‘m not sure if it was your intention to suggest that they‘re as elusive as say, the Yeti, but I can assure you that Asian lesbians do exist.

MrsHamill writes: “What the gentleman in question has said to several of the actors is that there is ‘little to no’ hope that the movie will actually be made. Why? I don’t know, though I can speculate (and that’s *all* it is, speculation).”

Answer: Uh, so let me get this straight. This “gentleman” said “little to no hope” of the movie moving forward which, quite frankly, could be little more than a personal opinion or gut instinct. And this turned into: “…today I got confirmation that they’ve decided to screw us over once again. Brad Wright and his cronies have decided that there “…is not enough fan interest” in an SGA movie – so they’re NOT MAKING ONE!”.? A bit of a misrepresentation of the facts, no?
        sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...d-the-mailbag/

August 24, 2009

Hey, did you hear? Civilization will come to an end in 2012! Knowing this, I plan to work one more year, then quit and spend the rest of my albeit short existence – 2011 to 2012ish – traveling the world, blowing my hard-earned savings on platinum suits and thousand dollar sundaes. I’m going to buy each of my dogs their own car and I won’t even bother making them hybrids. I’ll get a Blu-ray player. But wait a minute, Joe, you say. How do you know civilization is going to end? Well, it‘s been prophecized. Or, uh, has it? Check out Cracked.com’s take on the impending apocalypse: “The 6 Best 2012 Apocalypse Theories (Are All Bull****): http://www.cracked.com/article_17445...-bull****.html. My favorite quote from the rundown: “In late 2007, the History Channel ran a special about Nostradamus’ lost book, stretching interpretations so thin you could make a doomsday crepe out of it.”

Have you ever gotten so frustrated with something that you’ve just given up? Are you a quitter? If so, then you’re in good company. Compliments of the gang at NewScientist, check out “Failure to launch: abandoned NASA projects”: http://www.newscientist.com/gallery/...-nasa-projects

PETA’s sad, clueless victims: http://www.theonion.com/content/vide..._decries_petas

Mailbag:

Captain Kirk on the River Kwai: “1.) Other than for-work (Stargate scripts) do you read any other screenplays, teleplays or stageplays?
          2.) How is a writing staff chosen on a TV series (and/or Stargate)? (Sorry to be nit-picky (is that how you spell that?) but if the staff from SGU, for example, was just carried over from SGA, and them from SG-1, how did the original staff get together?)
          3.) What do you think makes or breaks a script? Story? Dialogue? Something else?
          4.) Do you have a favorite screenwriter? If so, who? (While I’m at it… do you have a favorite script you’ve read?)
          5.) What’s your favorite part of the script-writing process? Outlining? Character-development? First draft writing? Revisions? Just moping about, procrastinating?
          And finally…
          6.) Would you ever consider writing a non-Stargate feature-film (theatrically released or not)?
          I lied earlier — one more…
          7.) What do you consider the best thing you’ve ever written? (If it’s non-Stargate related, could you perhaps give a brief description of it???)”

Answers: 1). Nope.
          2) As production gears up, the producers read through the many, many scripts sent their way by agents looking to place their clients. If they see something they like, they may ask a writer to pitch some ideas or simply hire them on the spot. Paul and I landed a staff position on the show after impressing with a freelance script. We were invited to pitch. A couple of our pitches impressed the production enough to send us to outline. Our outline impressed them enough to send us to script. And, finally, the script impressed them enough to offer us a staff position.
          3) I’d say, oh, everything. Sloppy structure, stilted dialogue, cardboard characters, lame developments, contrivances, conveniences – any of the above can sink a script.
          4) If I had to choose – William Goldman.
          5) My favorite part of writing is finishing the script. My least favorite – rewrites.
          6) Absolutely.
          7) I can’t say. There are some scripts I like more than others, but there’s no single script I can hold up as my absolute favorite.

NarellefromAus writes: “ Glad to hear Brie is all better, but who/what gave her the stitches in the first place?”

Answer: The vet! She got fixed.

Sis writes: “I’ve also heard of using blue, Parmesan or other sharp cheese instead of almonds.”

Answer: Hey, this Christmas, stuff it with almonds AND some torta de mascarpone.

Sparrow_hawk writes: “I never heard of gunkan-maki. From my google search it appears to be sushi rice wrapped with nori and topped with something soft like ikura or uni. Is that it?”

Answer: Yep.

Sparrow_hawk also writes: “When in Tokyo, do you usually skip breakfast, go with a Western breakfast or immerse yourself in the local culture and go with the Japanese breakfast?”

Answer: I take a stroll down to the Tsukiji fish market and have sushi for breakfast.

Cherluvya writes: “Have you stayed at that particular hotel in Japan before? What did they say when you gave them your list?”

Answer: I stayed there last year. After sending in my immense restaurant list, they responded: “It is our honor to greet you again. We clearly remember you.
          How are you? We remember from last year, you have experienced nice cuisine like Ukaitei, Mizutani, Ryugin, Morimoto XEX, Sushi Kanesaka, Joel Robuchon. All of my colleague at concierge team and our staff are looking forward to welcome you again.” Talk about thorough.

DasNdanger writes: “How observant are you, Joe?? What did you make of the graffiti on the wall on ‘John the bar…’???”

Answer: Not very. I didn’t even notice until you brought it up.

Julie Ann writes: “ANYWAY, I’m trying to figure out the meat for the main course and the dessert. Any suggestions for someone who’s just barely branching out to this kind of cooking?”

Answer: For a meat main course, just pick up a couple of rib steaks. Put a cast-iron pan on medium-high heat. Season the steaks on both sides with garlic powder, salt, pepper, and thyme. Put some oil in the pan and, when it begins to smoke, puts the steaks in. Sear them for a minute on each side, then transfer to the oven and broil to desired doneness. Alternately, if you’d like to go with a fish main, I’d highly recommend slow-cooked salmon. Pick up some salmon filets. Season them with garlic powder, pepper, salt, and a little dill. Fill a large baking dish or pan with about an inch of water and set it on the lower rack. Set the oven to bake at 200 Celsius/400 Fahrenheit. Once the oven has reached the desired temperature, layer a bit of olive oil onto a smaller baking dish, put the salmon in the dish, and put the dish in the oven. Let is cook for 20 minutes. Then turn it off and let it sit in the warm oven for another 20 minutes. DO NOT OPEN the oven until the forty minutes are up! After 40 minutes (20 at 200C/400F and 20 with the oven turned off), whisk it out and serve.

Thornyrose writes: “Just to do a little bragging, I ate at Fuel again this evening. […] Also had the crispy duck for two, and I will readily admit that I had not expected this to be as delicious as it turned out to be. Every positive comment ever made on this blog does not do justice to the duck.”

Answer: Very pleased to hear it.

Maggiemayday writes: “A Japanese breakfast? Hah. Not with all the great pastries out there.”

Answer: So true. The whole point of booking an early lunch and a late dinner is to ensure I’ll be able to scarf down plenty of pastries in between.

Concerned Parent writes: “My children range from the ages of 11 to 14 in your opinion is this new show suitable viewing for children of these ages? Will be it family entertainment?”

Answer: Although Universe will be exploring more of the relationships (friendship, romantic, working, etc.) between our various characters, I can assure you that it will still be suitable for younger viewers.

MrsHamill writes: “As I stated in the rest of my response, that rumor came from someone who alleged to have a contact within Mr. Wright’s production company. I cannot verify it and neither can anyone else except her.”

Answer: There are several rumors floating around but, in both cases, they fall into the category of mere conjecture on the part of the source. Again, some are pessimistic about the movie while others are optimistic, but that doesn’t translate to a definite decision either way.

MrsHamill also writes: “ I had hoped to just get an honest assessment, an honest answer about the movie, for once. I don’t believe it will be made and you want to continue with the *polite fiction*”

Answer: In other words, I didn’t tell you what you wanted to hear so you’re packing up your toys and going home. At the end of the day, I can’t stop you from allowing your emotions to dictate what you will and won’t believe. However, while you’re opinion is based on third-hand information from a source who you admitted could simply be stating an opinion, my information is based on fact.

Wraithfodder writes: “ You’ve been exposed to fandom for over a decade now, so you’ve seen the best and worst. Of course this particular entry will keep alive the fan consternation for a while longer, instead of having it just die down in a day or two.”

Answer: Sorry. I won’t start censoring posts simply because I disagree with a particular opinion. This blog will continue to be a forum for differing viewpoints. That said, don’t most of the comments on your own site run contrary to your stated desire to let the fan consternation die down? Or are you exempt from your own rules of conduct?
          sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...trick-gilmore/

August 25, 2009

Photos: Patrick Gilmore, Luis Ferreira

“They make-a me a prisoner inside-a my home,”my elderly neighbor Tony informed me this morning. Needless to say I was surprised, not so much by the implication that he was being held captive and had somehow managed to escape in order to tend to his tomato plants, but the fact that he was actually engaging me in conversation. Prior to this sudden and inexplicable conversational outburst, our neighborly banter had been limited to his parroting my friendly observations. “Nice day,”I’d say. “Nice-a day,”he’d agree. “Hey, working in the garden,”I’d remark. “Hey-a, working in-a the garden,”he’d confirm. “Looks like it’s going to rain,”I’d note. “Looks like-a rain,”he’d concur. I suspect that if I’d hollered “Woozle wozzle ding dong!”, he’d have chimed back with: “Woozle-a wozzle-a ding-a dong-a!”. His wife, Rosa, on the other hand, always hung back and never uttered a word – until she learned that I not only understood Italian, but spoke it. Since then, she’s been incredibly chatty, flagging me down with some cover story about passing along some beans, plums, or tomatoes from their garden and then launching into a lengthy discourse on everything from local politics to the insufficiencies of her extended family.

This morning, however, it was Tony doing the talking – moreover, the complaining. Apparently, he failed his compulsory senior’s driving exam and, faster than you can say “farmer’s market”, had his license yanked. Now, he has to make the 15 block trip to the supermarket and back on foot. I lent a sympathetic ear, offered to give them a lift whenever the need arose but, in the back of my mind, I couldn’t really muster much in the way of commiserative indignation. I mean, sure, I felt badly for the guy and wished he was still driving – but not at the risk of ending up a hood ornament on a vintage Ford LTD.

Of course, before you accuse me of ageism, allow me to point out that I hold young drivers to the same rigid standards. As a matter of fact, I don’t think anyone should be granted a motor vehicle license unless they own enough **** to make suing them worthwhile. And a scooter and Shakira’s complete discography aint gonna cut it. I’m talking flat screen t.v.’s, top-of-the-line sound systems, or one of those rare white tigers.

Hey, one of the many, many great things about Stargate: Universe (besides the catering and the fact that my parking spot is only steps away from the entrance to the production offices) is the unbelievable depth of our cast. Our leads are fantastic, but then so is everyone else. In fact, I dare say that all of our supporting players are lead-quality talents. Take Patrick Gilmore for instance. Patrick plays Dr. Dale Volker, one of the many innocents fate has drafted to crew Destiny.

When the show first went into prep, Dale Volker was, like most others, simply a name on a page. But over the course of the season, Patrick has helped fashion him into an interesting, likable, and, above all else, wholly believable character. He’s taken what we’ve written and brought it to life, giving Volker his own spin – and we have responded by taking that spin and adding a little more depth to the character in subsequent scripts – and he has responded in kind. It’s a little like tag-team painting in which, quite often, it’s not the big picture additions that make one take notice (the river, the tree, the bear in the lederhosen) but the small touches (the subtle shading, the gentle cresting of waves, a parakeet trying to remember where he put his keys) that make everyone take notice and, more importantly, say “We’ve got to write him in more.”

I bring Patrick up because we were watching the Day 2 Mix of Life today and there’s a performance he gives that, despite repeated viewings, has never failed to delight. Check it out. When it airs. Oh, and check out Patrick’s twitter account here: http://twitter.com/patrickgilmore
            sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...g-at-sfsignal/

August 26, 2009

Photos: Random set pic, Open Your Eyes, by Paul Jessup

Hey, remember when I said I was actually looking forward to this rewrite? Well, I honestly don’t know what the hell I was thinking. I guess I figured that, given the notes, it wouldn’t be all that big a pass. But it turns out I was wrong. Yep, it never fails. Those tiny little changes you assume will be sleight and may take all of an afternoon to complete actually turn out to be fairly significant changes that trigger repercussions running throughout the rest of the script. Anyway, I was actually making progress this morning, coasting along rather nicely, until I hit a snag and became bogged down in the new and improved wunder-science. I started my research, got bogged down in that as well, and ultimately decided to call it a day. On my way out, I conveyed my frustrations to my writing partner Paul who, working on his own rewrite, had to deal with frustrations of his own today in the form of the incessant BEEP-BEEP-BEEP of the construction equipment across the street. He sympathized and expressed surprise at the requested change. For his part, he preferred the old (in his opinion, much cooler and wondrous) science and strongly urged me to pitch Rob on keeping the original. Something I’ll definitely do. Tomorrow.

Tonight, I’d like to announce October’s Book of the Month Club Selection…

Open Your Eyes, by Paul Jessup

From Publisher’s Weekly: “…pregnant space voyager Ekhi is rescued from her ailing vessel by the crew of a scavenger ship. Their captain, mysterious, doll-like cyborg Itsasu, mourns her husband’s death, and has been yearning to bring him back to life with the Ortzadar engine her ship is secretly carrying. She reluctantly allows Ekhi to join her crew, but keeps her under strict supervision. The other crew members struggle with various personal issues brought sharply into perspective by a sudden alien invasion and the discovery that the ship’s AI is playing a deadly game of its own.”

Intriguing. And clocking in at a svelte 152 pages, this novella should appeal to all those insisting they don’t have time to read. Discussion begins the week of October 12th. You have a little less than two months. Go!

A gentle reminder to those with a little more time on their hands that we begin discussion on September’s Book of the Month Club Pick, Heroes Die, the week of September 7th when we’ll be joined by author Matthew Woodring Stover. A very interesting book that promises an equally interesting discussion.

Every once in a while, the gang over at SFSignal.com do one of their “Mind Melds” where they go out to luminaries in the creative field (and sometimes me) and ask them a scifi or genre-specific question like “Given the choice, which body part would you make bionic and why?” or “What’s your space pirate name?” (Captain Nebula Jack Silverbells, duh.). Recently, they asked: “Which films do you think are good examples of Intelligent SciFi?”. Head on over and check out my atypical list: http://www.sfsignal.com/archives/200...ience-fiction/. Then stick around and see what everyone else has to say.
              sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...andom-set-pic/

August 27, 2009

Photos: Brian J. Smith as Lieutenant Matthew Scott, Jelly, Bill, Carl Binder

I’m pleased to report that after a brief falling out, my rewrite and I have reconciled and we are on much better terms. I admit that I was a little frustrated yesterday, and said some things I now regret. However today, things are much brighter and progress has been made, thanks in large part to the wise counsel, unconditional support, and rough explanatory sketch provided by Mika McKinnon, the show’s science consultant. Thanks, Mika. And to those of you wondering what, exactly, Mika does on the show (beside field panicked astronomy-related questions from yours truly) and how she landed the dream gig that made her the envy of geekdom, check out her past Q&A here: http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...tage-3-part-1/

Much excitement at the production offices today generated by the impromptu appearance of a very special guest. No, not Richard Dean Anderson. Or that guy who plays PC in those Mac commercials. I’m talking about Jelly who spent the day lounging about my office, strolling the halls, joining us for lunch, partaking in some cajun chicken, sitting in on a notes session, and generally enjoying the attention lavished upon her by, among others, A.D. Bill Mizel, Carl, and Ashleigh. Attention of another sort tomorrow, however, as she heads off to the vet’s for that dreaded ultrasound.

Well, I was hoping to hit the mailbag today but since it’s already ticking past 10:00 p.m. and some of you get cranky when I’m late posting, I’ll save my stellar responses for tomorrow’s post.

You know where to find me.
                sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...ndom-set-pics/

August 28, 2009

Photos: Random set pics, Peter Kelamis aka Adam Brody, Rob Cooper

My pug Jelly went in for her ultrasound this morning. According to the helpful, page-long summary of results I received when I picked her up, her “left and right medial iliac lymph nodes are sonographically normal measuring 5.1 mm and 3/6 mm in thickness respectively” which is great to know as it saves me the trouble of measuring them myself. “The small intestines maintained normal discrete wall architecture”, as opposed to the no doubt indiscrete if not altogether flamboyant intestinal architecture of the poodle who lives three houses down. “There is a mild hyper echoic outer medullary rim of both kidneys” that apparently confirms she is of extraterrestrial origin. I’d appreciate it if you guys kept it on the down low as the FBI tends to get all proprietary over Earth-based aliens. “However the corticomedullary definition is well maintained”. Well, clearly she’s been working out! Also there “is no evidence of peritoneal effusion” which is a big relief. Not quite as big a relief as I would no doubt experience if I knew what a peritoneal effusion was, but a big relief nevertheless. Hey, the spleen was “of echogenicity throughout”. Not one unechogenicitc part to be found. Beat that, Regis Philbin!

What does it all translate to? Roughly eight hundred dollars. Also, they obtained “fine needle aspirates of the liver parenchyma” (they stuck a needle in her stomach and took a sample of her liver) and we should have the results back in a couple of days. Thanks to all who asked and expressed concern. I’ll keep you posted.

When I’ve been interviewed, I’ve often described the people I work with as my extended family. And it’s so true, especially given that I spend more time with them than I do with my actual family. Yep, just like on the home front, we have the squabbling siblings, the creepy uncle, that eccentric aunt, and – amazingly enough – that guy who was a passing acquaintance until the day I found it he was actually my cousin. The SGU version of the latter is Vancouver actor Peter Kelamis who made appearances on SG-1 before landing the role of Adam Brody on Stargate: Universe.

I’ve said it before – our acting bench is deep. And it’s thanks to actors like Peter who never fail to impress. I can’t count the number of times we’ve been sitting in the writers’ room, watching dailies, and had one of Peter’s performances trigger a “Damn! This guy is good!” or the occasional variant “Damn! This guy is funny!”. Good and funny. What more could you ask for? Why, yes, not enough can be said about being a nice guy off the set, and I’m pleased to report that Peter doesn’t disappoint on that count either. One thing I didn’t know about Peter that I learned from fellow actor Patrick Gilmore (and, frankly, doesn’t surprise me at all) is that he is a premiere stand-up comic. The guy is quick-witted – and, like pricey events, prop zats, and an unwieldy fan-made super soldier suit, would make a great addition to any scifi convention.

Mailbag:

DasNdanger writes: “Waitaminute! I just noticed you read Wolverine: Blood Debt. How’d you like it (or not)?”

Answer: I liked it fine.

Deni writes: “Elway settled down after only 2 seizures yesterday, but still holding my breath a little today.”

Answer: How’s he doing today?

Anais33 a ecrit: “Allons nous voir ou parler des Furling dans SGU?”

Answer: Non.

Sort of translation: Don’t hold your breath waiting for the furlings to make an appearance in SGU.

Elf a ecrit: “Combient de temps cela met-il aux décorateurs de fabriquer une porte des étoiles ? Et combien en avez-vou fabriqué pour Universe ?”

Answer: Nous avons construit deux pour Univers.

Sort of translation: We constructed two gates for Universe (shipboard and off-world).

AthenasHavoc writes: “ I guess more specifically, do you always know the exact motivation for all the characters? Is it more ambiguous? Or is it just enough to move the story forward?”

Answer: We have a general sense of the character motivations. However, we can’t possibly work out every detail far in advance. Some developments are planned while many evolve from the various storylines.

AthenasHavoc also writes: “Also, I know you’ve mentioned it a few times here, but how often do you guys have those “something’s not quite right” kind of moments?”

Answer: I’m not sure what you mean by that. Do you mean creative disagreements in the room or actual mistakes made re: canon?

Apollo_031 writes: “I read somewhere (probably here) that Amanda Tapping is in the premiere of SGU, so it would seem logical to me that, since she is the commanding officer of the USS George Hammond, you guys would put the George Hammond in the premiere, and not the Odyseey for instance, am I correct?”

Answer: That would be a logical assumption.

Apollo_031 also writes: “My second question is regarding the design of the USS George Hammond. Is it a Daedalus Class Ship and therefore identical to all other X-304’s or is it a new designed ship?”

Answer: It’s a Daedalus Class ship.

Apollo_031 also writes: “Can I assume that the U.S. are not the only country currently capable of building hyperspace ships? Could i.e. China, France or Germany build them as well?”

Answer: It’s safe to make that assumption. The Korolev was a Russian ship; the Sun Tzu a Chinese ship.

Major D. Davis writes: “1. Is it true Telford will appear in the back half of the first SGU season(there have been hints on LDP’s twitter)?

2. Which episode are you currently shooting? I remember Pain was in prep almost directly after Human finished shooting, so is Lost or Sabotage waiting to film after Pain is shot, or is my math and logic all off and you are shooting both Lost and Sabotage before Pain?”

Answers: 1. Maybe, maybe not. There are suggestions the character will be in the back half. Then again, those suggestions could be misdirects on the part of the production. Of course, this applies to all characters.

2. We wrapped Sabotage yesterday and have moved on to Pain.

Juralas writes: “I just watched the SGU panel at Comic-Con 2009 on youtube and I noticed something…both Brad Wright and Alaina Huffman refer to her character, Tamara Johansen, as “TJ”. Is this something we can expect other characters to call Tamara, or is she just referred to as “TJ” around the set?”

Answer: She’s T.J. to her friends, Lieutenant to everyone else.

Kabra writes: “SO I have a question, does the actor/actress define the character or does the delivery define the character?”

Answer: The character is defined by various contributors – actor, director, writer, producer.

DC writes: “While on your various culinary escapades, have you ever come across a food that you wouldn’t eat not because it sounds like it’d be gross, but on -for lack of better phrasing- moral grounds?”

Answer: Off the top of my head no. That said, there are certain animals I wouldn’t eat if offered. Yes, dolphin comes to mind.

Nadine writes: “Oh, I was wondering: are you planning on attending the Olympics?”

Answer: Nope. Ideally, I’ll be vacationing somewhere without access to Olympic coverage.

JYS writes: “which script got you and Paul the staff position?”

Answer: Scorched Earth. SG-1, season 4.

Seh writes: “What recurring character is gay in Stargate Atlantis? And do you know why the amount of different writers writing episodes has decreased in Stargate since season one of Stargate SG-1?”

Answer: Do you have a guess? When a show is about to start production, many freelancers are auditioned with the purpose of staffing the show. Some writers impress enough to be invited to join the production. Other writers aren’t “the right fit” and may write a script, maybe two, and focus on other productions. Once the show is staffed, those writers who made the cut are the ones who will write the bulk of a season. Occasionally, freelancers will be brought in and given a shot. If they impress and circumstances are favorable, they may be asked to join the writing staff as well. Freelancing is not as easy as it sounds, however – especially not on established shows where staff writers have a huge advantage getting in on the ground floor and being privy to information and production nuances that those on the outside often miss.

Jackie writes: “Would you even consider taking a vacation in NZ?”

Answer: Sure, I’d consider it.

Arctic Goddess writes: “1) Rum or Whiskey?

2) Coke or pepsi?

3) Blue pen or black pen?

4)Gift for Fondy – flowers or chocolate?

5) Vehicle – domestic or imported?

6) Weight training or aerobics?

7) Boutique hotels or chains?

8.Cruise or Flying vacation?”

Answers: 1) Rum

2) Coke

3) Black

4) Flowers

5) Imported

6) Weight training

7) Chains

8) Flying vacation

DasNdanger writes: “Joe – when do you leave for Japan…’cause, ya know…I have to plan my trip to Vancouver accordingly.”

Answer: Sorry. Bad news. The house will be occupied while I’m away. Fondy is flying her family over.

AnneTeldy writes: “ People can only travel one way through a stargate’s wormhole: planet of origin to destination. What happens if a person crosses the event horizon going the wrong way: destination to planet of origin?”

Answer: The gate will spit them back out.

Gilder writes: “Grocery run this evening…and my San Antonio supermarket has Coquitlam blueberries again! IMHO, best blueberries on the planet. They look a tad smaller than past years; do you know if it was a poor season?”

Answer: No, actually, just the opposite. They produced way too many blueberries this season and prices are at an all-time low.

NOT A SGU fan, SGA all the way though also writes: “Only come here now again for ANY or at least hopfully some SGA movie news, nothing more, as I dont like SGU an am not watching it so never bother posting, no reason to.”

Answer: Realistically, you don’t have to bother coming here at all. Any news I post of note eventually makes its way onto the other fan forums, so you can just hang around there instead.
                  sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...air-no-really/

August 29, 2009

Photos: The Fair

Today, I went to the fair. No, really. My wife had mentioned wanting to go yesterday and I’d answered her with a “Sure, sure.” – you know, the kind of response you give an acquaintance who suggests getting together for coffee some time. Sure, sure. So imagine my surprise this afternoon when she took that “Sure, sure.” as some sort of agreement on my part and actually expected me to accompany her to the PNE (Pacific National Exhibition, Vancouver’s take on carnival rides, funnel cakes, and petting zoos). What could I do? I’d said “Sure, sure.”. I ended up going with her.

When we finally drove up to the place, we were informed that both lots were full. Fortunately, a kindly neighborhood resident took pity on us and allowed us to park behind her garage For only twelve dollars. A five block walk and a fifteen dollars entrance fee (each) later, and we were just about inside. All we had to do was circumvent the lottery kiosks. “Hey!”shouted one woman , trying to snag me before I hit the turnstiles. “How’d you like to win a house?” “Already got one,”I replied without breaking stride. Seriously. What am I going to do with two homes?

The crush of humanity was headed in the general direction of the rides, but we weren’t there for the tilt-a-whirl or the whirly-gig or that thing that takes two full minutes to rattle up to the top and then all of five seconds to plunge back down to ground level. We were there for the food. Or, more specifically, my wife was there for the foot long hot dog with nine types of onions she’d seen on t.v. the other night during a local news report. Nine kinds of onions? Okay, off the top of my head: Spanish, Vidalia, green, Walla Walla, uh, small, medium, and large. What am I missing? Well, whatever they are, they were missing from Fondy’s foot long dog as well when she finally got one.

The lack of onion variety left a bitter taste in her mouth which she attempted to chase with the sweetness of a cinnamon and sugar dragon tail (aka beaver tail, aka fried up hunk ’o dough).

Then, we strolled the grounds. I have never seen so many World Wrestling Federation t-shirts in one place.

We wandered into something called The Marketplace that wasn’t so much a market as it was an auditorium filled with every late night t.v. pitch you can imagine: shammies and steam vacs and portable detox saunas and healing crystals and super garlic graters and stain removers and massage chairs and contour pillows and psychics.

By the time I walked out of there, I was feeling as though I’d sat through two weeks worth of infommercials.

On our way to the exit, we stopped to check out the sand sculptors displays featuring the works of some of the biggest names in international sand sculpting (I kid you not).

We also stopped to check out the not quite as impressive but no less entertaining “can” sculptures (Hey, it’s Wall-E!) before heading back to our parking spot.

As we strolled up the alleyway, we saw, Selma, the woman who’d rented us her parking spot out on her front porch. “Hi, Selma!”called Fondy as if hailing down a long lost friend. “Did you have fun?!”Selma shouted back like she genuinely cared. “Yup!”my Fondy answered her.

I’d learned my lesson. I kept my mouth shut.
                    sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...and-surprises/

August 30, 2009

Photos: David Blue, Brian J. Smith, Chloe Armstrong, Random set pics

Today, it gives me great pleasure to kick off my No Fan Left Behind campaign, a campaign designed to get all Stargate fans – past, present, and future – ready for the big October 2nd world premiere of Stargate: Universe. Whether you’re fans of SG-1, Atlantis, or a complete newbies to the franchise, you’re all welcome aboard Destiny as it prepares for its first manned voyage through distant galaxies fraught with riddles, revelations, action, and adventure.

First up, a big guest blogger announcement. Actor David Blue – who some of you will recognize as Ugly Betty’s Cliff St. Paul or Moonlight‘s Logan Griffen, but most of you will no doubt come to know as SGU’s lovable Eli Wallace – will be swinging by this blog to tell us about his character, the show, spill some behind-the-scenes secrets, and regale us with amusing anecdotes of his life in the t.v. business and love of scifi and genre television (trivia tidbit: he’s a big fan of one Rodney McKay). Got a question for David? Well, start posting! You have until the end of next week! Begin prepping now by heading on over to the official Stargate site and checking out the Eli Wallace profile: http://stargate.mgm.com/view/character/167/index.html

Also, as part of the No Fan Left Behind campaign, I’m in discussions with MGM about accessing some of the 10 gig worth of behind-the-scenes never-before-seen photos from the SG-1 and Atlantis archive – that I’ll be posting alongside the top secret sneak peeks of Stargate: Universe in the coming weeks.

But wait! There’s more! As part of the ramp up to the premiere and follow-through SGU’s first season, I’ll be hosting Stargate-related trivia contests covering all three shows. Brush up on your Stargate lore and pay close attention when Stargate: Universe airs for your shot at winning some very cool prizes.

And that’s not all! Over the month of September expect more guest bloggers, more Stargate exclusives, and plenty of surprises!

Mailbag:

DeeinSouthAfrica writes: “What did you eat? Or did you go hungry?”

Answer: I went hungry at the fair, then went to one of those hot pot places that combines the pleasure of going out with the hassle of cooking your own food.

Laura Richter writes: “As a buffer, I am interested in learning how I can be brought into the Stargate Universe and brought up to speed.”

Answer: Well, you could pick up the box sets of both SG-1 and Atlantis for a thorough and detailed understanding of the world of Stargate. But those tuning into SGU for the first time with little or no prior knowledge of Stargate won’t have any trouble following the fun.

Emmster writes: “I really like the corn on the cob, though. Did they have that at yours?”

Answer: Yep. At $4 each ear.

DP writes: “Does treating us to a visual essay have anything to do with practicing your still-shot storytelling for an upcoming comic book?”

Answer: Nope.

Crayonbaby writes: “I saw that you mentioned humor in SGU. Do you think it’ll be a little more serious than SGA and SG-1 or will it have it’s own brand of humor?”

Answer: SGU will be a little darker, a little more serious than the previous Stargate incarnations – but, it will still contain that trademark Stargate humor.

Mary A. Milan writes: “So, can you set my fears at ease? Are there any Jack/John-style, sarcastic/snarky characters on SGU?”

Answer: Rest easy. The show will have its fair share of snark as well.

Mary A. Milan also writes: “DD Jennifer’s birthday is coming soon. She’ll be eleven on 9/25. Do you think you could mention it when the day comes?”

Answer: Please remind me closer to the date and I’ll be happy to oblige.

Iamza writes: “Joe, are we going to get an SGU trailer with the women of SGU playing a prominent role?”

Answer: Funny you should mention this. I had a phone conversation with Erika from SyFy the other day on this very subject. Stay tuned.

Iamza also writes: “Who comes up with the ideas for the trailers? Do the writers get a say, or is it mostly down to marketing at Syfy? Or MGM? Or some combination of the three?”

Answer: MGM and SyFy put together their own trailers. They run them by the producers who may or may not make some suggestions. MGM’s Grey Munford and his team are the ones responsible for the kick-ass trailer that premiered at Comic Con as well as the trailer now playing in theaters.

Iamza also writes: “When you say Sabotage has just wrapped, was that the script, or the actual episode shoot? Because if the latter, wow! Things move fast!”

Answer: Things DO move fast. We wrapped the episode and Pain started shooting on Friday.

Apollo_031 writes: “If I recall correctly, the U.S. is capable of building one ship per year, and if the other IOA nations are also building ships, why are there only a total of five ships? Wouldn’t the other nations built ships as fast as possible to defend Earth and keep the balance of power on Earth?”

Answer: These ships are expensive to build and require immense resources. Also, China only has one ship officially. Officially.

Pol writes: “One last item, I hope it makes it to the mailbag. I guess Amanda had to cancel an upcoming appearance in down under this fall because Sanctuary’s production schedule has moved up. Do you know if that move-up is a result of good news for a new SG-1 movie?”

Answer: Sorry. It’s unrelated to the SG-1 movie.

DasNDanger writes: “Glad you liked Blood Debt. Have you ever read Wolverine: Origin (the one where he’s a kid)?”

Answer: Not yet but I do have it sitting on my to-read pile. To be honest, most of the trade paperbacks I’ve read have ranged from okay to downright awful. A couple of gems in the mix though.
                      sigpic

Comment

Today, it gives me great pleasure to kick off my No Fan Left Behind campaign, a campaign designed to get all Stargate fans – past, present, and future – ready for the big October 2nd world premiere of Stargate: Universe. Whether you’re fans of SG-1, Atlantis, or a complete newbies to the franchise, you’re all welcome aboard Destiny as it prepares for its first manned voyage through distant galaxies fraught with riddles, revelations, action, and adventure.
                        MGM should do that also and greenlight both the SG-1 and SGA movies so no fan will be left behind in case they hate SGU. That to me would be a really good "No Fan Left Behind" Campaign. Maybe Joe can pursuade MGM to do that.
                        Last edited by Briangate78; 31 August 2009, 05:40 PM. Reason: Spelling
                        sigpic

Comment

You know JM has no control over the movies Brian. I take this as an informative guide about SGU complete with apparently pica
                          Originally posted by aretood2
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                            You know JM has no control over the movies Brian. I take this as an informative guide about SGU complete with apparently pica
                            I am just saying if MGM were to have a "No fan left behind campaign" Actually if things were up to Joe M we would be chatting in the Season 6 sub folder on the SGA forum.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
                              MGM should do that also and greenlight both the SG-1 and SGA movies so no fan will be left behind in case they hate SGU. That to me would be a really good "No Fan Left Behind" Campaign. Maybe Joe can pursuade MGM to do that.
                              Yeah, that'd be nice! I appreciate that Joe's kind of in a tough spot here and that he's trying to do something good for the fans. But I also think it serves to highlight the fact that he wouldn't even need to start a "No Fan Left Behind" campaign if a significant number of fans didn't already feel as if they were being left behind...
                              Last edited by VSS; 31 August 2009, 09:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by VSS View Post
                                ...he wouldn't even need to start a "No Fan Left Behind" campaign if a significant number of fans didn't already feel as if they were being left behind...
                                Or if he and Paul Mullie had done a better job creatively directing the last season and a half of SGA, he might not need to start a campaign. I know of a number of fans who left by the end of season 4.
                                Spoiler:
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X