This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh for crying out loud...

The ratings are NOT, I repeat, NOT FALLING!!

Comment

i tried to accept the change many times.. but it doesn't work out for me. alot of my friends gave up on the show already and im about to as well. and its not cause of rda.. its the new chemistry.. and the too far out cosmic stuff with ori now that just doesn't get me interested. the jaffa politics were extremely boring as well.. and i gotta say in ripple effect.. when mitchell was talking bout funny stuff in the past with the other mitchell aboard prometheus.. that was just horrible acting.. it was not funny. it was simply stupid. though i love the rest of the episode.. just that one part turn me off big time. and teal'c (CJ) isn't the same anymore.. if you compare him to earlier seasons.. his expressions and everything were so good.. now its like dreadful and boring. whereas carter (AT) and daniel (MS) are still the same which i like.. so far season 9.. i have never watched an episode twice. where all other seasons everytime they aired i recorded and watched it over at least 3 times cause it was good. SGA is good so far. i like it, the chemistry works very well between them, especially the epsiode inferno.. i really liked it alot. but yea thats my reason.

Comment

Originally posted by ChillinTheMost
        And then BritAngie went and got the numbers, rendering my post quite unnecessary!

Comment

Originally posted by Chricton
          OK, overreaction is taking over this topic WAY too much. SG-1 had a what? 1.7 the other night? You guys realise the series low for scifi channel was a 1.2? (during season seven).

Seriously, go check out the ratings charts gateworld has up for each season. You will see that no only is this season higher rated then season seven, but six as well. Season eight just had an abnomaly high amount of people watching. It's expected that SGA would suffer from what it is going through now. It's literally shares the same amount a viewers as SG-1, and that's doubtful to change.

As for BSG, well, that's not going anywhere, for a couple reasons. It costs scifi roughly half what it costs them for SG-1 and SGA, and the critical accclaim is enough for them too keep it alone.

If there was something to worry about, it's how ratings will do next year
          I couldn't agree more.
          I'm proud to be an American.

"...and those who are prideful and refuse to bow down shall be laid low and made unto dust."

Comment

Well technically if we look at the over all ratings summary they aren't falling.

So there isn't a "why" involved if it isn't happening, rendering the original question void.

When it falls below 1.2 then there is somthing wrong, otherwise I really don't see the fuss besides a few angry people trying to look more into ratings then is there.

I'm proud to be an American.

"...and those who are prideful and refuse to bow down shall be laid low and made unto dust."

Comment

Originally posted by sholvaCRE
              I think the series is falling, because theres too many changes taking place
              THEY ARENT FALLING! THEY ARE STILL HIGH! THE LOWEST SG1 HAS HAD IS 1.2!!! THEY WENT UP BY LIKE 100,000 PEOPLE LAST WEEK!

GET IT THROUGH YOUR SKUUUUUUUULL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SGFerrit
                THEY ARENT FALLING! THEY ARE STILL HIGH! THE LOWEST SG1 HAS HAD IS 1.2!!! THEY WENT UP BY LIKE 100,000 PEOPLE LAST WEEK!

From last year this time to this time this year the rating number is lower. Thats why people see the ratings as falling.

Last week the rating number went up slightly but stayed under the 2.0. That is why people see the ratings as falling.

Yes the ratings are up compared to the FIRST season on scifi when it was a 1.2 but they are down slightly from season 8.

Does this mean the ratings have completely collapsed. No. Does this mean the show in on the verge of being cancelled. No. But it is a reasonable arguement so say that the ratings are down and I dont see why people get all hot and bothered when people make it.
                Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

I don't watch it much any more... without RDA it's just not as interesting as used to be. Not to mention the fact that I seriously don't like what they did with Carter. I still think they should have written her in as CO; Mitchell doesn't cut it for me. Too many changes were implimented... with special regard to aspects of the storyline that really shouldn't have been messed with, or perhaps needed to be taken in the opposite direction.

Comment

Things that don't change die. I can't think of one show that has stayed the same for it's entire run. Friends had the same cast but major changes in character relations. I'm sure there was fan outcry there. Everyone is welcome to his or her opinion. I'm glad your people who dislike season nine have DVDs of the first eight seasons to fall back on. Maybe there was too much expectation? I went into season nine viewing it as a new show with no expectations. I found it enjoyable. I’ll say it, the show is different with RDA gone, but I find it enjoyable.

Comment

Originally posted by HirogenGater
                      Things that don't change die. I can't think of one show that has stayed the same for it's entire run. Friends had the same cast but major changes in character relations. I'm sure there was fan outcry there. Everyone is welcome to his or her opinion. I'm glad your people who dislike season nine have DVDs of the first eight seasons to fall back on. Maybe there was too much expectation? I went into season nine viewing it as a new show with no expectations. I found it enjoyable. I’ll say it, the show is different with RDA gone, but I find it enjoyable.
                      I understand what you're saying. It's not that I wanted everything to stay the same; That would be impossible. There are many things that I would have liked to see played out a bit differently, though. It's a matter of personal preference, I guess...

Comment

Originally posted by Capt. Rivet
                        It's a matter of personal preference, I guess...
                        Yep, in the end, that's all it really boils down to. Personal preference, of which, not everyone can be pleased. And that is unfortunate. Personally, I still feel this show is strong. Overall, this has still been a good season ratings-wise.
                        sigpic
                        MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                        "...phu...ah..."
                        "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                        Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by SGFerrit

Infact 0.1 of a point doesn't necessarily respresent 100,000-it most likely represents many more depending on how many people can watch the channel. So 1.00 represents a different amount year on year.

Comment

Originally posted by sholvaCRE
                            I think the series is falling, because theres too many changes taking place
                            I think that should be changed to, "too many bad changes taking place."
                            "...smart, funny, exciting, touching..." - Newsday

Comment

Originally posted by jackspal
                              [FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Ratings are falling, what do you think the reason(s) are?
                              The reason, I believe, is that the big networks have stronger, more popular shows on Friday this year than last year.

It's taken away some of the *casual* viewers. Ratings go up and down by what casual viewers do not what hardcore fans do, since hardcore fans always watch.

CBS's schedule starting with "Ghost Whisperer" and "Close to Home" are getting much higher ratings than the shows that were on in those time periods last year.

ABC has its hugely popular "Dancing With the Stars", as well.

If you could see the demographics of the ratings drop, the decline is mostly among older, women viewers--the kind that would rather watch those other shows. The male ratings aren't that off from last year.

Granted, RDA did have quite a bevy of older, women fans that may be more likely to be distracted away by other shows, but if the producers want to attack this particular decline, they might think of inserting more emotional--yes, maybe "shippy"--stories that this demo is attracted to. Go for the heart.

Also, the ratings may not match last year, but they are closer to 2004 and higher they were than 2003.
                              Last edited by MediaSavant; 29 January 2006, 07:02 AM.

Comment

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2006/0...seasonlo.shtml
                                Lowest in 2 years. Almost at the level it was when sci fi started it... seems like.
                                What was going on last Friday?
                                Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Working...
                                X