This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kmiller1610
    The strain of expanding to two gate shows is beginning to show.

I think the problem is the overall conceptualization of the story arc and the strain on resources to cast, write and support the whole effort.

The original gate series had both historical roots (exploring ourselves) and overriding, long term goals and tensions that were S L O W L Y brought to fruition (Goa'uld, Freeing the Jaffa, Sam/Jack). People bought into the overall story as well as the characters.

Once you get the feeling that the parts are just being put in place to fill an immediate, short term need (We need a new bad guy here. We need sex appeal here. So and so needs a new love interest here. We need funny stuff to counter the techno babble here. ) the overall story becomes more like a continuing soap opera than a compelling epic drama. It's O.K., even entertaining, but not compelling,
    I think this is what happens when a show becomes successful; it becomes a heavy-handed business operation. The plot that used to drive the show is now being determined by the best business formula. They use their marketing skills to determine what they think would be best for ratings and look at what has been successful for others to determine what they should do. Granted, I'm just speculating, but if you watch enough TV you start seeing the trends across all shows and genres.

I think one of the reasons Lost is so successful is because of its pacing. It comes off as fresh and original because up until now TV has been based on the viewers having a very short attention span and a desire for things to move along quickly. If a show doesn't wow its audience in 2 or three airings, sometimes even one; it's out of the running. So the writers are compelled to get as much of what they want us to know in a season just in case ratings tank and theyre not back.

I don't know that this makes for good business but it doesn't seem to make for good TV. Watchable yes, but with so many other options out there, watchable is only enough for the most loyal of fans.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

I would say the ratings are dwindling due to poor writing.

Season 9 isn't very good so far.

I really liked Collateral Damage, but Ripple Effect was just kind of... stupid.

The show seems to be drifting away from Science Fiction with a few comedic lines and comedy with a science fiction backdrop.
      This is a bad idea, because the writers weren't what made the show funny, it was RDA's Jack O'Neill (don't take this as a plea for him to come back, I'm just saying he was a good enough actor to make the funny lines funnier than they really were).

Atlantis was a little shaky for me, but I think it has promise. The whole Teyla singing thing at the end of Critical Mass seemed really forced to me, but the music in the background made the scene.
      why won't my sig rotator work

Comment

The ratings always dip in the middle of the season, but it always picks up again for the final episodes (almost every season, the finale was thehighest rated episode) and Cam is doing just fine, but I am getting annoyed that he has not taken enough of a leader role....people were bicering over Jonas in season six, but now that season seven has aired you can see a relatively good transition AKA the overall story makes sense. Last year, people were complaining about season 8, but it set the stage for Avalon part 1 and how mitchell got SG-1 back together, bet more people will like season 9 after season 10 has aired.

Comment

OK, overreaction is taking over this topic WAY too much. SG-1 had a what? 1.7 the other night? You guys realise the series low for scifi channel was a 1.2? (during season seven).

Seriously, go check out the ratings charts gateworld has up for each season. You will see that no only is this season higher rated then season seven, but six as well. Season eight just had an abnomaly high amount of people watching. It's expected that SGA would suffer from what it is going through now. It's literally shares the same amount a viewers as SG-1, and that's doubtful to change.

As for BSG, well, that's not going anywhere, for a couple reasons. It costs scifi roughly half what it costs them for SG-1 and SGA, and the critical accclaim is enough for them too keep it alone.

If there was something to worry about, it's how ratings will do next year
          Music Profile: 83710 Songs --- 3714 Artists --- 7051 Albums

Comment

Why should fans have to wait for some unknown time in the future to like the show? I want to like the show NOW. For eight years I liked the show, along with many others. I think we all realize that something is happening in season 9.

Those fans who are completely happy with the changes will use the ratings to justify that most fans still love Stargate. What it shows is that most fans still WATCH Stargate. These are two completely different things and could be a result of habit or waiting to see the show returns to the show they once loved. Longtime fans are VERY OPTIMISTIC when it comes to a much loved show.

They also say that online fans are a small percentage so the complaints are coming from a very few fans. However, if we are being honest we realize that all is not the same. Whether it is the overall interest in the show, not watching it twice, number of complaints,etc. we know it is something.

We may not have a true reading until near the end of season 9. There may be a decrease in DVD sales. Saying "everything is wonderful" and "what's wrong with you for not loving it", is not going to help or change the situation.

Comment

Originally posted by STARGATE7777
              Why should fans have to wait for some unknown time in the future to like the show? I want to like the show NOW. For eight years I liked the show, along with many others. I think we all realize that something is happening in season 9.

Those fans who are completely happy with the changes will use the ratings to justify that most fans still love Stargate. What it shows is that most fans still WATCH Stargate. These are two completely different things and could be a result of habit or waiting to see the show returns to the show they once loved. Longtime fans are VERY OPTIMISTIC when it comes to a much loved show.

They also say that online fans are a small percentage so the complaints are coming from a very few fans. However, if we are being honest we realize that all is not the same. Whether it is the overall interest in the show, not watching it twice, number of complaints,etc. we know it is something.

We may not have a true reading until near the end of season 9. There may be a decrease in DVD sales. Saying "everything is wonderful" and "what's wrong with you for not loving it", is not going to help or change the situation.
              and calling a ratings drop on one night over a holiday weekend "falling ratings" and a clear indicator of the ratings finally matching the opinion of fans that no longer like the shows is both intentionally obtuse and short-sighted.

it's been mentioned in this thread a few times that the season isn't over yet people seem to be ignoring that fact. if the casual viewer is indeed no longer watching the shows, then the ratings will continue to fall. if that happens then the naysayers can say that the ratings are backing up their position, but not until it's actually a trend.

also interesting that some folks seem to be ignoring the fact that BSG's ratings dropped as well. if it was simply the Stargates "sucking", then BSG's should have been just as high as the week before.

Comment

Originally posted by STARGATE7777

You do realise there are a lot of fans out there that do like the show *now* and don't feel that there is anything wrong? Individual opinon does not create fact. Simply put - you don't like it right now, many people here don't like it (and some seem to derive great pleasure from all but insulting the intelligence of those that do); that does not make for a trend, nor does it make the show of poor quality. It just makes the show 'not to your tastes'.

But like you said saying everything is wonderful doesn't make it fact, nor does spouting that it is terrible because you don't like the direction.

Why have the ratings dropped? I dunno, but it isn't just SG-1 and SGA; it's BSG aswell. A trend is also something the continues over a long period of time, not a week or 2 - and I bet that this past weeks ratings are hitting a high for the season. Does this mean the trend is ending? Does this mean there was a trend all together? Or does it just mean more people tuned in?

Seriously; there are a percentage of online fans who don't like what is happening. There are also a percentage that do... Lets not get into the game of who has the most followers. In the end it just becomes a question of who is screaming the loudest.
                Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

Originally posted by Chricton
                  OK, overreaction is taking over this topic WAY too much. SG-1 had a what? 1.7 the other night? You guys realise the series low for scifi channel was a 1.2? (during season seven).

Seriously, go check out the ratings charts gateworld has up for each season. You will see that no only is this season higher rated then season seven, but six as well. Season eight just had an abnomaly high amount of people watching. It's expected that SGA would suffer from what it is going through now. It's literally shares the same amount a viewers as SG-1, and that's doubtful to change.

As for BSG, well, that's not going anywhere, for a couple reasons. It costs scifi roughly half what it costs them for SG-1 and SGA, and the critical accclaim is enough for them too keep it alone.

Agree that there's an over-reaction. Where on Gateworld can I find the ratings chart BTW?

Comment

Just a heads up so people don't start freaking out: Friday, Feb 10th will be a 2 hour season ender for Arrested Development. On top of that will be the opening day of the Winter Olympics where roughly half of the globe will be viewing. Ratings very likely will go down for the first showing. Almost makes you wish SciFi would air something else and save the eps until the following week.

Comment

Arrested Developement? The show is nothing to be worried about. It gets about 3.5 million viewers (barely) weekly. Olympics might be a hassle though, and Monk on USA.

To see the ratings charts, on the main page, where is says SG-1, click on it, you get the scroll down menu listing all the seasons, click on one. Above all the episode listings with the pictures next to them you will see:

ratings sumary
                      episode transcript

When you go click on the ratings summary, you will get a layout of the episode, it scifi ratings, it's syndicated ratings (for seasons 8 below), what gateworld rated it, and the user rating. This applies for Atlantis as well.
                      Music Profile: 83710 Songs --- 3714 Artists --- 7051 Albums

Comment

The Fourth Horseman pt. 2 was good and The Hive I liked, but the other eps this season have been really boring. Don't get me wrong the one on 1/20 ,USA SCi -Fi airtimes, was interesting, but there's not enough action and not enough cg.

Comment

Because we need Jack back!!! JK!!! But it's true.

Comment

Someone sad that it was up against Smack Down, That would draw a large audience form any show. I know too many people who love wresling that much. Me I rather watch Stargate.
                            Tis No Fool to lose what He can not keep, To gain what he will never Lose

Comment

Originally posted by Chricton

Excellent post. I couldn't agree more. I love how people ignore tha part about BSG's rating being down too. In my opinion, Sci-Fi Friday just had a rough night that week, that's all.
                              sigpic
                              MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                              "...phu...ah..."
                              "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                              Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

They ain't falling anymore.

Comment

Working...
                                X