Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gate Alliance Treaty Organization (GATO)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ltcolshepjumper View Post
    I think the purpose of GATO, essentially NATO, would be to provide international cooperation, not the international abolishment of distinct sovereign nations. It's a mediator, as has been established, between nations, and a unifier of political, scientific, economic, and military interests, not governments.
    Precisely.
    Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

I like the idea of GATO. And yes, for all the disagreements and bruised egos, NATO has been the most successfull military alliance in modern history. Also, I don't believe that getting GATO going would as impossible as it might appear. After all, I think there are some aspects of the way in which of NATO operates already incorporated into the running of Stargate program.

It seems to me that O'Neill has a sort of duel hatted command power similar to the way in which the Supreme Allied Commander Europe (SACEUR –Top NATO military commander and always a US General) is also the head of European US Command. Thus, O'Neill is able to order the SGC itself and the various US military personnel involved in the program by nature of his status as head of HWS, while he also seems to be in command of the Atlantis Expedition and other “off world” issues by nature of the agreement between the US and its Allies with oversight by the IOA. The IOA would seem to operate somewhat like the North Atlantic Council (political wing of NATO) at least as it relates to the Atlantis or other Expedition(s). What is missing most is the military committees which exist in NATO and which most member states of NATO participate. Without the military committees the military aspect of Stargate program remains only through US. Obviously there are some major differences between the Stargate program and NATO. The most glaring of which is that SACEUR of Nato is command of only military personnel where the Stargate program involves military as well as civilian personnel.

Anyhow that’s my guess. And in any case, NATO would be a great model for a GATO organization. Someone should register that domain name.

Comment

Working...
      X