Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have to admit that I was a bit hesitant to listen after the last Women of Stargate podcast, but this was an absolute joy to listen to. Janet is absolutely one of the best women in stargate history and it's always nice to see that recognized. Aside from Hathor where the gender of all characters played a role, Janet's gender was rarely a factor. She was written as a soldier, a doctor, a parent, but never specifically a women, and it showed in the way she was never marginalized in favor of a male character, as the rest of the women were at times. (Am I making any sense here? I don't feel like I'm making my point very well.)

Also? I feel like the worst sci-fi fan on the planet, but man, I do not like Farscape. At all. I've never made it past the 8th episode of the first season.
    Originally posted by Callista
    Ahhh! Ashizuri can see into the future!!
    Originally posted by HPMom
    She saw the candle light as many things.

Comment

Yeehaw, new TameZone! I'm about 5 minutes in now, I'll post back once I'm done
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by wurlitzer153 View Post
        I just listened to it, it was great!!

I particularly loved the conversation about shows getting cancelled extremely early, BTW if you are wondering the record is cancellation after one episode , I completely agree that shows should at least get a full season or even two.

I can't wait for the next one
        sigpic
        Sig by Everlovin My YT|My other vid site|My LJ|My Photobucket|My ImageShack|"Stargate is life, Sam and Jack are happiness, Shippers are almighty" by hlndncr

Comment

• LOVED the Lost in Space intro/outro
          • Lost in Space to Walken to Farscape to feminism to Lindsay Lohan and celebrity culture....ADD much?
          • loved the Bagpuss intro, what is that sound clip from?
          • I really enjoy highlighting sections of the forum, but I have to wonder--how many people out there are actually listening to GW podcasts without being regular GW-ites?
          • nitpicking: Cassie came into SG-1 in season 1
          • I'm not really sure it's fair to judge female characters by the actors portraying them--shouldn't that be the responsibility of the writers?
          • I agree 100% on your take on Teyla, where Bagpuss did acknowledge the responsibility of the writers to write a good character
          • I don't know how Bagpuss didn't die laughing when Tame said "I always think of Paul McGillion when I think of hives"
          • I disagree 110% that a show is less likeable when the lines between good and bad are blurred, and in fact with your entire take on BSG
          • Bagpuss: Kind of surprised to hear you don't like Kiva....would you care to elaborate/discuss here on the forum where we can use spoiler tags?
          • Tame: COMPLETELY agreed on Wray!
          • More generally, I really like how the TZ podcasts are in the 35-40 minute range. When I'm listening to the regular GW podcasts, I often find my attention wandering in the ones that are in the hour-long range

Looking forward to next episode
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
            Originally posted by jelgate View Post
            I can see it know. Tame interviewing herself.
            Give new meaning to multiple personality disorder.
            Someone already brought this up...just saying.
            Me.

Originally posted by TameFarrar View Post
            pa pa is that you?? Where did you leave ma??? Don't tell me you left her back at the last gas station

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
            [*]I really enjoy highlighting sections of the forum, but I have to wonder--how many people out there are actually listening to GW podcasts without being regular GW-ites?
            Which sections of the forum did they highlight? Did I miss something? I didn't hear that this time.
            I really enjoyed the talk about the forum last time. Missed it a bit this time.

[*]I'm not really sure it's fair to judge female characters by the actors portraying them--shouldn't that be the responsibility of the writers?
            IMHO both are responsible, you need good writing as well as a good portrayal and some initiative on the actors their part.

[*]I don't know how Bagpuss didn't die laughing when Tame said "I always think of Paul McGillion when I think of hives"
            Tame cut it out.

[*]I disagree 110% that a show is less likeable when the lines between good and bad are blurred, and in fact with your entire take on BSG
            I don't know if they really meant to say that a show is less likeable if the lines between good and bad are blurred. If so, I disagree as well. I think a less black-white, good-bad show has its interesting and likeable qualities.

However, on the BSG subject; I am currently watching BSG, finished the third season, and I must agree that the third season is different from the first two and less enjoyable for me. However, I don't know if this is really due to the characters or even the general dragging on story-line. I think it's just a general change in everything... It did turn up for the better in the end, and I like Razor. I'll go watching season four later.

[*]More generally, I really like how the TZ podcasts are in the 35-40 minute range. When I'm listening to the regular GW podcasts, I often find my attention wandering in the ones that are in the hour-long range
            It's good in length. I listened to it while driving home (with the bicycle) from work, and then the last ten minutes at home just now.
            A black hole swallowed this sig pic.

Comment

Bagpuss, feel free to correct me if I mis understood what you said, but I think what you were saying about the blurring of good and bad was a good point.

All of us live in a world of grey areas, where decisions are not black and white choices. Often when we make choices we have to make the best of a bad job. Years ago TV shows were far less unsure. When you watched a show you were told who was good and who wasn't. People were made to feel safe that they knew good from bad. The cowboy who rode into town on a white horse with silver pistols on his hips was good, the guy at the bar wearing black was bad.

Some modern shows, however, DO make more realistic characters who are not all good or all bad. Their actions are more ambiguous and although this is more true to life and interesting, some viewers don't like being taken out of their comfort zone. Consequently those viewers stop watching.
              Last edited by SeaBee; 08 September 2010, 12:47 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the wonderful feedback and I hope, continued discussion

Part of the reason we do try to highlight something ON the forum is because we want you to think of this as sort of Forum Talk radio* so aspects of the forum will always play a role. Stargate in some way will also play a role since this IS GateWorld. But we are very mindful that many folks do not visit the Forum so we are trying to keep them interested as well by discussing other things.

There is also a desire to balance things out a bit. There will be a podcast soon that centers completely on RPG in text format and GW has a place for those. Aftermath is now 5 years old and deserves some lime light. So when one podcast may be very forum or topic specific another will be more random and have various topics.

So hopefully that helps you understand some of the randomness, yet organization of the TameZone.

The clip to introduce BagPuss was a clip from the original cartoon introduction

I actually realized how the comment about Paul sounded in editing and it was hilarious to me as well since I am a HUGE Paul McGillion fan....I don't recall baggie laughing hard and long about that....no really she wouldn't do that

As many folks know I am/was a big BSG fan and have made multiple music vids for that show quite few have won awards. So my opinion regarding the way the show progressed was just that my opinion I don't mind good and bad aspects...but I did have a problem with how it was done on BSG. That in no way changes that I was/am a big fan of the series in general. I would have to re-listen to the podcast to really understand the context of what I said that seems to be a point of differing opinion and will get back to you if needed

You all have me so JAZZED that you are providing such great feedback!!

please add your ideas for topics as well
                Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

[*]loved the Bagpuss intro, what is that sound clip from?
                  The sound clip is from the Bagpuss tv show.

sigpic

Comment

Part of the reason we do try to highlight something ON the forum is because we want you to think of this as sort of Forum Talk radio* so aspects of the forum will always play a role. Stargate in some way will also play a role since this IS GateWorld. But we are very mindful that many folks do not visit the Forum so we are trying to keep them interested as well by discussing other things.
                    Fair enough! As a forum denizen I have no complaints about giving forum shout-outs, I was just a bit curious about it is all

So hopefully that helps you understand some of the randomness, yet organization of the TameZone.
                    Am I reading into it too much or was this week somewhat more structured than the first episode? I liked how free-form the first episode was, and while it wasn't absent this time around it did seem a bit more....muted. Was this something planned/evolutionary of your style? Or maybe just a consequence of editing?

The clip to introduce BagPuss was a clip from the original cartoon introduction
                    I'm not familiar with said cartoon but um....okay [edit: I see dipsofjazz has filled in the blank!]

I actually realized how the comment about Paul sounded in editing and it was hilarious to me as well since I am a HUGE Paul McGillion fan....I don't recall baggie laughing hard and long about that....no really she wouldn't do that

As many folks know I am/was a big BSG fan and have made multiple music vids for that show quite few have won awards. So my opinion regarding the way the show progressed was just that my opinion I don't mind good and bad aspects...but I did have a problem with how it was done on BSG. That in no way changes that I was/am a big fan of the series in general. I would have to re-listen to the podcast to really understand the context of what I said that seems to be a point of differing opinion and will get back to you if needed
                    Oh I'm not criticizing/whining/telling you you're wrong. I was just commenting

Comment

Feedback on the second episode:
                      Part1/3
                      • I thought a really interesting topic was brought up: The "Get Real" Contemporary SciFi shows. We've read and heard a lot about it from Critics, Reviewers, The General SF audience... but it's rare to actually hear some comments on it from a perspective of you both. Also, I kinda was left waiting for more about the whole "is a show less likeable" because it hasn't defined "good" and "bad" zones/characters...
                      • Don't know "Space Above & Beyond".
                      • I thought while the "Women in Scifi/Stargate: Who's your favorite?" or "Favorite Female Character" is an interesting topic, it failed to continuously draw my attention. While a podcast doesn't need a lot of "structure" necessarily, I felt like you could have used some here. Especially in the middle... But maybe that's more personally for me.
                      • I thought it strange though you stayed away from Dr. Keller. One of the most controversial female lead characters in the Stargate franchise. Or maybe it was not strange at all... She wasn't mentioned, though.
                      • What I really loved to hear was the short fragment where Tame says shows aren't always given enough time to reach their full potential. This is so true. Not all shows are immediate hits. And it is also very true that viewers can discover shows later on, even in the third season (burn notice). Not to mention the fact how I'm two seasons behind on most things due to being forced to watch shows on DVD. Americans are so lucky to be able to watch all these great TV shows so soon, and as a TV program. The most irritating/annoying thing about these cancellations nowadays is the fact that lots of shows that get canceled don't really have a "show ending", but more a "season ending". And thus have lots of unresolved story-lines/plot elements... That's really the worst thing about a cancelation these days. And it's off-putting for me, as a viewer, to watch new shows... 'cause I'll just invest time in a show, get into a show, for it then to get canceled and then leave me with the frustration of the "too open"/"unresolved" ending. Examples: The 4400, Dark Angel, SGA, TSCC...

Comment

Part2/3
                        • Firefly was a real pity.
                        • As for the SciFi Women in general: I think Summer Glau for me would obviously get the first place there right now.
                        • I'm still in the progress of watching BSG, but I've seen up to season 3 and Razor now. I'll start watching Season 4 as soon as the DVDs arrive. However, I too am watching BSG now to find out more about "The Plan", "Who are the Cylons" etc. I think that not only the characters underwent changes, but also the entire series. I think season 3 is definitely different from the previous two. The plot seems to focus on different things. There are different little story-lines. The atmosphere is different... etc. At first I thought it was due to the events at the end of season two, and then the first episodes of season three
                          Spoiler:
                          New Caprica and such
                          but it's more than that.
                        • Baggie sounds like I thought she'd sound, quite unlike Skydiver who totally didn't sound like I expected. Her accent was absolutely no problem for me. The echo was a bit weird sometimes though. Still it was great to have her on the podcast. And Skype is way cool.

Comment

Part3/3
                          • And ah! Last but not least! I got mentioned. Yay! Hehehehe. I do think it's strange though how everyone reads/pronounces my name, while I've been using this nickname as an abbreviation for "Jasper". Mostly 'cause I'm too lazy to type six letters. And Jasper mostly isn't available as a nickname. So I've never been reading "Jper" as "Jay-per". At first I thought: "Who's this Jay-per". until you mentioned the Muppet thing. Then it was like: "that's me!" Anyways, I still think you should do it. I love the Muppet show to pieces (correct expression?).
                          • Thanks for the podcast. Certainly looking forward to the next one. And as for a question for you, for the podcast: How about you tell us why you'd really wanted to do this podcast. You've talked a bit about it, but I seem to have missed, your motivations behind it. What you hope to get out of it. Except eternal fame and shame of course.

Comment

I love how you get the Muppet shout-out

Comment

That's because I am me, The Jper. The one and only. I have an undefinable uniqueness and awesomeness.
                              Otherwise just look at the sig. Summer Glau will provide that awesomeness then.

Comment

LOl I am sorry i didn't realize that I had forgotten you until the edit was done

maybe i should just have a *Shout-out* Segment LOLOL
                                Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Working...
                                X