Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oneil did add a lot of programming to the base dialing computer but they would have had to learn something from the Atlantis DHD since it actually has everything that is needed to dial another galaxy. I wonder if there are any other DHD's out there capable of dialing other galaxies. Not including the Asurans.

A very wise man once said...."Reality is an illusion created by a lack of Alcohol."

Comment

Here's an idea. Maybe it distinguishes between two gates if they're both in the same system. But yet somehow that feature was long forgotten and never relearned, thus creating multiple plot points.
      sigpic

Comment

I'm currently attempting to write a Fanfic, and needed to find a suitable name for a Galaxy close to the Milky Way that wasn't Andromeda or The Pegasus Galaxy, anyway while looking on Wikipedia a came across a reference to "Local Groups" which are groups of 30 or so Galaxies.

Now the Milky Way Gates have 38 symbols for dailing, and the Pegasus Galaxy has 36. Now I think its safe to say that all stargates have at least 30 dailing symbols. I think that it would also be safe to asume that all the Galaxies we've been to via Stargate are in our "Local Group".

So we know that the 8th Chevron adds distance to the area of Space that one Stargate can be conected to another. Now what if the 8th Chevron acted a a reference to one particular galaxy. Eg: Symbol 1 on an Milky Way gate is the symbol you add to an address to get to an Andromeda gate, and symbol 1 on an Andromeda gate is the symbol you add to an address to get to an Milky Way gate. Symbol 2 on an Milky Way gate is the symbol you add to an address to get to an Ida gate, and symbol 2 on an Ida gate is the symbol you add to an address to get to an Milky Way gate.

Now I think this is the same for the 9th Chevron, it simply dials to another "Local Group".

EDIT: Oh and by the way if you wondering what Galaxy I chose for my fic, it was the Fornax Dwarf Galaxy.
        Last edited by JedI Master of the Gate; 02 April 2007, 08:13 AM.
        The Doctor: [leafing through a teen magazine] That won't last. He's gay and she's an alien.

Carter: You saying that it could be boobytraped?
        Teal'C: Booby?

May the Force Be With You

Comment

I don't know what the 9th chevron does however it is somehow related to the third stargate series.

Article

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2007/0...nth_chev.shtml

Comment

Originally posted by Maj D.Arthurs View Post
            I don't know what the 9th chevron does however it is somehow related to the third stargate series.

Article

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2007/0...nth_chev.shtml
            Yeah, I have said my theory because of this article.

Atlantean Engineer : I still believe that the 9th chevron will be used to transport bigger things (spaceships, space stations) through the normal wormhole without supergates and Ancient obelisk like in Quest II. We shouldn't forget that if they dial the ninth chevron than they don't have to use the 8th too:

normal dialing : 1-2-3-4-5-6-7
            other galaxy : 1-2-3-4-5-6-8-7
            transport ships / dial new dimension or reality etc. : 1-2-3-4-5-6-9-7
            "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Hi first time I use the forum.

Has anyone considered the 9th chevron has something to do with supergates ??

Comment

Originally posted by Whistler View Post
                Well noone knows! The Ninth Chevron has not been used once in Stargate's history, it is the final unexplained mystery of the gate, at least the last major one. There are many theories, I personally think it could be the subject of a further spin-off, ofcourse all we know is that the Ninth Chevron will be the point of Origin
                Great insight Lol bravo

Comment

I still go by my original theory that I posted months ago:
                  The ninth chevron is for dialing tech support.
                  Oh snap. You're reading a really old post.

Comment

How bout different verses based off of the string theory? Where every universe has different properties of physics. But i guess that would be to wierd.

Comment

I agree that the 9th chevron is used to dial into other clusters of galaxies.
                      It would make sense because (season 8 *SPOILERS*) in season 8 episode 17 daniel is talking to Omah Desalan and she keeps going on about how insignificant our part of the galaxy is compared to everything else that is out there. This hints to the fact that if our little galaxy is so insignificant imagine what must be happening in other galaxies and cluster etc. This could also hint that the ancients were able to gate into other clusters of galaxies.
                      As it says in the gateworld movie desciptions (The Ark of Truth *SPOILERS*) on the Ark of Truth, "The I.O.A. has a plan of their own and SG-1 ends up in a distant galaxy fighting two powerful enemies." This shows that inside the Ori galaxy is another powerful enemy. Which just goes to show how little we actually know about the ancients home galaxy (if the ori galaxy is indeed the home galaxy of the ancients). If the AlTerrans were the first race then it is logicto think that they would have populated not just our little part of the galaxy but many others.
                      This is just my thoughts on the topic. So if anyone has any good theories or ideas i would like to hear them.

Comment

I would like to go back to a theory that i had before. The 9th chevron leaves the travelor in energy form thus leaving them sort of like an ascended. They may not have the power, because they don't have the knowledge. One problem with this theory. I highly doubt that the new show will be based off of an ascended anything. (imagine it...ascended sg1 battles...well...anything they want!)

Comment

i don't think its distance, i mean we currently know about 4 galexies, Ida, Milky Way, Pegasus, Ori, somehow i don't think he ancients were around long enough to put gates on every planet in the known universe. interesting side question: could Pegasus dial Ida or the Ori homeworld? if so we can assume distance isn't too much a factor and its just used to dial galexies. my personal guess: the 9th shevron creates an expanding unstable vortex that destroys the gate, after all the gates are really tough so what would you do to get rid of one you didn't want? dial 9. it could also be
                          1: an open ended fissure in spacetime making the ultimate trash removal device
                          2: opens the gate without the event horizion.
                          3. opens the event horizon without the wormhole
                          4. speed dial for a specific gate, for instance Earth to Pegasus
                          5. extradimensional storage space: the gate may actually take more hardware to run then is actually visible and the rest is stored within pocket of hyperspace.
                          6. override the dialing sequence (a kill switch)
                          7. flips the gate, making the back become the front
                          8. reverses direction of gate without shutting it off.
                          9. override for the 38 minute rule
                          10. turns gate in big zpm
                          11.expands event horizion beyond the gate.
                          Join My forum (please??)

Comment

Okay, I didn't read the whole thread so please excuse me if this has already been mentioned. The gate is like a telephone right? -- Just dial and go. Lets follow that analogy. Eight cheveron is long distance -- what is nineth?

----Extra Long Distance (Other Galactic Clusters)
                            ----Call Waiting (Stores Incoming in buffer While Gate in Use)
                            ----Caller ID (Would Be Really Handy to Know Origin of Incoming)
                            ----Three Way or Confrence Call (Wowwa !!! --- Think of possibilities !!! -- Call Wreith . . . Call Ori . . . Shut Our Gate Down . . . Let Wreith and Ori Kill Each Other. Send Carter to Five Different Planets and Then Return Individually . . . Earth's Colective IQ Gets a Massive Boost. )

That's all I can think of right now--any telephone analogies I missed?

Comment

I think its as simple as a whole new set of galaxies.

Think of the universe as a big sandbox.

Right now we (home galaxy) is so small to the universe that we are a grain of sand. Now, there a millions of grains of sand in the universe. We are stuck in the corner. Away from the dirty sand, the cat pee and the toys left in. What if the 9th chevron sends us outside the sandbox.

Think about that while you sit on the toliet. It'll blow your mind
                              Visit my Website

Comment

Probably already mentioned but i would suspect that it's function is just the same as the eighth chevron, i.e. another distance calculation, that would seem at least to me, to be the most simple and obvious answer.

Comment

Working...
                                X