Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey this is my first posts so here it goes: I agree that the information will be found in the asguard database but it will be relating to research about galaxies the Alteran travelled to before coming to the milky way. I also agree with a number of other people on the forum that believe that it relates to an extra distance calculation. SEE YA
    sigpicALTAR The Defenders Of Humanity And The Strength Of The ALTERAN, Before Their Betrayal And Exile!!!

Comment

Originally posted by AltarLeader View Post
      Hey this is my first posts so here it goes: I agree that the information will be found in the asguard database but it will be relating to research about galaxies the Alteran travelled to before coming to the milky way. I also agree with a number of other people on the forum that believe that it relates to an extra distance calculation. SEE YA
      welcome to the form.

have we ever considered that after the Alterans left the Ori they went and seeded other galaxys before they came here we have always assumed that but why not they did not need to come to this galaxy first we may go to the other galaxys
      I'm also know as "Meredith" on Keepthegateopen.net and SG community.com
      "No it only sound ridiculous till you hear yourself say I'm trapped on a spaceship stuck in a time dilation field."

http://sg1.stargatecommunity.com/eluvatar

Comment

Originally posted by Col. Newman View Post
        Other universes are extremely far away and they are what they are called other universes. Alternate realities would occur in our won universe just in a different reality. The other universes would have their own set of infinite alternate realities.

The theory of the extra distances calculation would therefor be true but it would mean one heck of a new distance.

But the name for Stargate Universe could also just mean that the SGU Team can go all over our universe. Which would mean the most logical theory for the 9th Chevron is true. It just goes to other galactic groups.

The idea that it can be used for time travel is well to be nice I will call it farfetched. Making an out going wormhole an incoming wormhole (yeah that one is... well... I have no words to describe it)
        Alternate realities ARE different universes as posited by the multiverse theory. Sam explains this in "The road not taken". Can you describe how exactly these different universes are extremely far away from each other? Because you cannot look at this in spatial dimensions.

The idea of the 9th chevron going to other planes of existence seems implausible as it's been on the oldest Stargate in the Milky Way and Ascension wasn't within Alteran grasp at that time.

Comment

Originally posted by Leandros View Post
          Alternate realities ARE different universes as posited by the multiverse theory. Sam explains this in "The road not taken". Can you describe how exactly these different universes are extremely far away from each other? Because you cannot look at this in spatial dimensions.
          Well actually I was just going by what someone else said on GW about it, they had a very good argument at the time, but I since decide I either misunderstood or they were full of crap. I learned my lesson never take anyones word for the truth on here, cause it can make you look stupid. I check stuff now.

I think it's just another distance calculation which has been my first and favorite theory.

Comment

Originally posted by Leandros View Post
            The idea of the 9th chevron going to other planes of existence seems implausible as it's been on the oldest Stargate in the Milky Way and Ascension wasn't within Alteran grasp at that time.
            a) The quantum mirror is used to travel between realities -> so I guess we can rule out that the stargate is used for this purpose also.

b) Stargates are used to travel:

1. In Space, mostly
            2. In Time, occasionaly, due to flukes
            3. To parallel universes, rarely, due to even bigger flukes

c) time and parallel universes can be measured as another coordinate, and these travels often involved some mass distortion in the space-time continuum which would support the theory.
            see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spacetime

d) The eight chevron increases the range of destinations

e) there are a whole lot more of stars out there than any combination of 8 (or 9) chevrons
            see http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/as...rs/970115.html

f) The ancients would be aware of these facts, because they were researching time travels, they built the ZPMs (which contains an artificially created region of subspace from which this power is drawn) so they had to know that no way a stargate would allow to connect to every region of the known universe, unless......

they were able to had a multiplying factor by use of the ninth chevron, allowing to increase the number of points to dial.

Let me give an example

You want to go to a near stargate: dial 7 symbols
            You want to go to a not so near stargate: dial 8 symbols
            You want to go to a far away stargate: dial 8 symbols + lock ninth chevron + dial another symbol
            You want to go to a far awaaaaaaaayyyyy stargate: dial 8 symbols + lock ninth chevron + dial another symbol + lock ninth chevron again + dial another symbol (or something like that). You could have A LOT of combinations as far as you always lock the ninth.

Basically what the ninth chevron would do is give a command like "wait for another symbol" or "wait for another combination of x symbols".

This way if space (universe) exploration would allow, then we could have a really big network of gates, regarding that the power consumption requirements would be met. And they would be huge, but we could always connect more ZPMs as someone already said.

PS: Of course, when we - on Earth - want to travel for long destinations, we use several stops (trains, airplanes, ...) so there is no reason not to use that logic in a connected network of gates: the further you want to go the more gates you use.

Comment

Originally posted by cegrocks View Post
              a) The quantum mirror is used to travel between realities -> so I guess we can rule out that the stargate is used for this purpose also.

b) Stargates are used to travel:

1. In Space, mostly
              2. In Time, occasionaly, due to flukes
              3. To parallel universes, rarely, due to even bigger flukes

c) time and parallel universes can be measured as another coordinate, and these travels often involved some mass distortion in the space-time continuum which would support the theory.
              see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spacetime

d) The eight chevron increases the range of destinations

e) there are a whole lot more of stars out there than any combination of 8 (or 9) chevrons
              see http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/as...rs/970115.html

f) The ancients would be aware of these facts, because they were researching time travels, they built the ZPMs (which contains an artificially created region of subspace from which this power is drawn) so they had to know that no way a stargate would allow to connect to every region of the known universe, unless......

they were able to had a multiplying factor by use of the ninth chevron, allowing to increase the number of points to dial.

Let me give an example

You want to go to a near stargate: dial 7 symbols
              You want to go to a not so near stargate: dial 8 symbols
              You want to go to a far away stargate: dial 8 symbols + lock ninth chevron + dial another symbol
              You want to go to a far awaaaaaaaayyyyy stargate: dial 8 symbols + lock ninth chevron + dial another symbol + lock ninth chevron again + dial another symbol (or something like that). You could have A LOT of combinations as far as you always lock the ninth.

Basically what the ninth chevron would do is give a command like "wait for another symbol" or "wait for another combination of x symbols".

This way if space (universe) exploration would allow, then we could have a really big network of gates, regarding that the power consumption requirements would be met. And they would be huge, but we could always connect more ZPMs as someone already said.

PS: Of course, when we - on Earth - want to travel for long destinations, we use several stops (trains, airplanes, ...) so there is no reason not to use that logic in a connected network of gates: the further you want to go the more gates you use.
              that idea's not bad, but how many galaxies do you think it is plausable for the ancients to have put gates on?

i fell your idea does work, but i have stated this on other threads, that i think the 9th chevron allows opening of wormholes to the space of star-systems without gates.
              the ancients would have used this method for exploring unknown star systems without ships. they would have then placed a subspace transmitter in the star system for a ship to take a gate there, and/or to allow return travel by the use of the gate dialing a inverse flow wormhole back to the same place and/or allow a wormhole to form at a designated place on a planet perhaps instead of in space.
              i would say every combination of 9 symbols would work to open a wormhole (or your idea of the multiple addresses simulataneously would work too)
              Spoiler:
              Disclaimer:
              I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
              Quotes!
              - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
              - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
              - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
              sigpic

Comment

So the gate would open a wormhole leading to somewhere without a gate?

But then that argues against the idea of "calling a Stargate"

Atlantis can dial Earth, but Earth can't dial Atlantis because of power consumption. Think of making a collect call. It takes money to initiate the call, but the whole conversation relies off of the money of someone else. Same thing with the Stargate. It takes power to initiate the wormhole, but the wormhole stays active from the power on the other end. Therefore won't that not work because there is no way to supply power?

The Supergate stayed open because of the power coming from the Stargate in the Pegasus galaxy (which is next to the black hole).

Comment

soo.... it would just take up a LOT more energy, and energy can be drawn from the outgoing gate see SGA s1 episode "home"
                  Spoiler:
                  Disclaimer:
                  I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
                  Quotes!
                  - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AvatarIII View Post
                    i have stated this on other threads, that i think the 9th chevron allows opening of wormholes to the space of star-systems without gates.
                    the ancients would have used this method for exploring unknown star systems without ships. they would have then placed a subspace transmitter in the star system for a ship to take a gate there, and/or to allow return travel by the use of the gate dialing a inverse flow wormhole back to the same place and/or allow a wormhole to form at a designated place on a planet perhaps instead of in space.
                    i would say every combination of 9 symbols would work to open a wormhole (or your idea of the multiple addresses simulataneously would work too)

I really love that idea. But am am going to write a fan fic {when i get the time, which probs want be until christmas holidays} which adds a lot of history to the ancients

Around a billion years ago the first evolution of humans was in an extremly distant galexy called primera. Some of the race {alterens} wanted to explore the univers so they left and took a very long ship ride to what is now the ori home galexy and we all know what happened after that. The race that was left behind was the furlings. They were later wiped out by shadow creatures {the on that was in Hide and Seek on Atlantis}.

Anywho... The ninth chevron is basicly a code. If you are in peg, the milky way or the ori home galexy you dile a nine symbol address. The first six is the location of a world in the respective galexies {they are all called eden becuase they are the first place were humans for that galexy were desined} the seventh is the point of origin. The last two are a code that will alow this cirtain gate to open.

On that plantet their is a power source that would let them cross the vast void to primera. this system was set up before the FUrlings were wiped out.

{If you want to know any more just email or just wait for the fanfic or epic as it may be}

Sorry if this sounds a bit like an advertisment
                    Nothing is permanent in this wicked world. Not even our troubles.

Spoiler:
                    Originally posted by ebethman
                    Look to the last page to find one of those strange little posts that no one sees at the end of a page. They are a strange creature. Denied attention from other posts they banned together. By day they are simple, unassuming posts. By night, they solve crime. One of them is called frank. He likes marbles. He has twelve of them. Each has it's own unique binary code which is related to several characteristics. Size. Colour. Public speaking ability....
                    Originally posted by Bray
                    *Bray wins*

Sorry RM....Game OVER!

And eBeth....you're weird

Comment

Originally posted by Mio View Post
                      Exactly. While the wormhole can transmit your basic matter, without a stargate event horizon to put you back into your original form, you'd be turned into dust.
                      this has been proven not true in lore

Spoiler:

there was an episode where they kill the sun of that asgard planet where they disable the sun protection and dial through depositing radioactive materials into the sun causing it to red-shift and killing their sun. their solution was to open another gate and terminate it so the element re-materializes inside the sun. the thought in that epi is that it works for elements because the condition doesnt matter, but its probably not safe for biological material.

BUT..

i think the 9th chevron may have been a way to recharge ZPMs... the anchients had to have a way to create/recharge ZPMs but no mention has ever been made on how they did it. my idea is they used the 9th chevron to tap into the space between dimensions to leech the energy to recharge them somehow.

oh, and it would make far more sense for the order to go:

distance, 6 coords, origin to me... rather than 6 coords, distance, origin.
                      Last edited by Murzin; 24 October 2007, 10:13 AM. Reason: adding the last bit

Comment

Originally posted by Murzin View Post
                        this has been proven not true in lore

Spoiler:

there was an episode where they kill the sun of that asgard planet where they disable the sun protection and dial through depositing radioactive materials into the sun causing it to red-shift and killing their sun. their solution was to open another gate and terminate it so the element re-materializes inside the sun. the thought in that epi is that it works for elements because the condition doesnt matter, but its probably not safe for biological material.
                        But that was when an ELEMENT tagged onto the wormhole. If it was a person made up of all different elements they would be brocken down into different elements.
                        Nothing is permanent in this wicked world. Not even our troubles.

Spoiler:
                        Originally posted by ebethman
                        Look to the last page to find one of those strange little posts that no one sees at the end of a page. They are a strange creature. Denied attention from other posts they banned together. By day they are simple, unassuming posts. By night, they solve crime. One of them is called frank. He likes marbles. He has twelve of them. Each has it's own unique binary code which is related to several characteristics. Size. Colour. Public speaking ability....
                        Originally posted by Bray
                        *Bray wins*

Sorry RM....Game OVER!

And eBeth....you're weird

Comment

did you read the spoiler stuff?

i addressed that in there.

Comment

i think the 9th chevron may have been a way to recharge ZPMs... the anchients had to have a way to create/recharge ZPMs but no mention has ever been made on how they did it. my idea is they used the 9th chevron to tap into the space between dimensions to leech the energy to recharge them somehow.

oh, and it would make far more sense for the order to go:

distance, 6 coords, origin to me... rather than 6 coords, distance, origin.
                            i think it would make more sence for it to be a method of making new ZPM's rather than recharging depleted ones.

and i don't agree with that, because imagine this
                            you are holding a pen and a ruler

normal gate use
                            a) you put the pen at the point indicated by the coordinates
                            b) put the ruler up against it
                            c) align it to the known "point of origin"
                            d) draw line between points

intergalactic gate use
                            a) you put the pen at the point indicated by the coordinates
                            b) put the ruler up against it
                            c) align it to the known "point of origin"
                            d) draw line with added distance

except i figure the gate has to have tho PoO aligned with the top chevron to open so that's why it comes last.

thats just my opinion, and how i picture it in my head reduced to 2 dimensions, though
                            Spoiler:
                            Disclaimer:
                            Quotes!
                            sigpic

Comment

well i would imagine it to be something like you dial the 6 coords as your own gate, 2 diff chevs, and then your own point of origin..

basically opening up a gate to yourself, stick some kind of " power cords " into the gate and siphon power out to charge a ZPM.

Comment

well i would imagine it to be something like you dial the 6 coords as your own gate, 2 diff chevs, and then your own point of origin..

basically opening up a gate to yourself, stick some kind of " power cords " into the gate and siphon power out to charge a ZPM.
                                maybe, but i figure that ZPM charging, if it's ever discovered will be addressed in SGA, and i feel the equipment will resemble the arcturas machinery more than anything.
                                Spoiler:
                                Disclaimer:
                                Quotes!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X