This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by charlie shakey View Post
    i have to agree its totally goin to change the whole stargate franchise. If it explains the Ninth Chevron then it has to be something along the lines of the Ninth Chevron connecting with other Universes like a parallel dimension or something however if this was the case then it looks like we will be seeing a lot more Ancient Technology being released especially something way more powerful than a ZPM to Power the gate.
    I don't think the 9th Chevron to have much of an effect on the SG series. If the 8th adds on a distance extension for another galaxy then there is absolutely nothing to suggest a 9th would do anything different, but increase the distance to a further galaxy or to another universe. It could explain why the Orii aren't coming by ship if they are from a 9th chevron address.

Originally posted by marty2006 View Post
    There is nothing ancient more powerful than a zpm, they failed miserably and destroyed the surface of a planet attempting to create another more powerful source of power.
    And lets not forget that same project also blew up most of a solar system thanks to McKay.

sigpic

Comment

lol yea so it did

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
        I collected some ideas pro and contra:

1. Travel to other phase - This is useless because of Merlin's device.
        2. Travel to other realities - They had the mirror.
        3. Travel to the Ori-Alterran realm - They will finish this storyline.
        4. Travel to other time - They create a time paradoxon and they couldn't return. Janus' Tech exists and the Tech from WoO exists
        5. Two-way wormhole - Don't have enough military advantage.
        6. Travel to gateless coordinate - Who will they return?
        7. Travel to other galaxies - They have 8th chevron already for this.

My idea:
        8. Travel and teleport together -
        Spoiler:
        They made a similar thing in Quest II. So if the Ancients wanted to travel with ships, than they could easily teleport them through the wormhole to the other side by "normal" stargates. This can be a new way for an a shipbased series.
        I Like 8, however many people might feel transporting ships is either the purpose of the Hyperdrive - or more importantly the purpose of Supergate.

The "travelling to other universe" theory has been used in the "There but for the grace of god", season 1 and also Project Arcturus - Mckay and Mrs Miller; so I hope the purpose of the 9th isn't to travel to another universe
        Last edited by jazz!; 26 March 2007, 03:44 AM.
        It's a joke. My way of deflecting attention from my own obvious heroism. You'll get used to it.

Comment

I have been thinking about the 9th chevron. We know that the Ancients were from another galaxy that was very far away and that they had developed the stargates before they came to the milky way because the priors who come from the ori galaxy came through the gates to the milky way and that the Ori and the Ancients are decedents of the same species. We also know that the the Ori and Anicents were divided due to different believes. If the stargates were developed fairly early when the the Ancients and Ori were still one race then why has the 9th chevron not been used before. The chevrons serve a purpose you would think that the ancients would of been using the stargates to their full potential but with the focus on Ascension it seems that the stargates become less important as their species evolved. Also look at the power requirements needed for an 8th chevron look. You need a ZPM or some other power source. Also I know that only the Atlantis stargate has the dialing crystal to dial other galaxies but it seems that the original stargate has the dialing crystal built in since the earth gates could both dial other galaxies there is no reason to believe that other stargates in the milky way can't. The only thing preventing it would be a power source. So I am interested to see how the 9th chevron fits in and how it was used by the ancients or why it wasn't used or maybe it is connected to something else completely. I would really like it if they introduce another group or race or explored some of the races that we have not seen in awhile like the NOX. I know that we can dial another galaxy but maybe the 9th chevron allows us to dial other galactic groups. If the ancients traveled to the milky way over several generations it stands to reason that different groups may of have split off and seeded stargates on their way. Or it could be that several groups left at the same time to different galaxies and they built stargates along the way so they could stay in contact with each other. Also it would mean that there could be more branches of the species than just the Ancients and the Ori.

Comment

Originally posted by stargateanubis14 View Post
            Maybe the ninth chevron allows for 2 way travel! It would just take up a lot more power from each gate!
            That would be cool!

2. Travel to other realities - They had the mirror.
            But was that mirror built by the ancients?? We never found out.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
              But was that mirror built by the ancients?? We never found out.
              naaa the design wasnt very anicenty to me, it looked like another advance created it and wiped themselves out with either that technology or something else out there wiped them out...

Does anybody know why there is so man advance races out there?? We've on meet a few... i mean most of them have been older then our race so by definition should they not be more advance then us??

Comment

jazz! : I had an idea. If they really want to make a ship-based series, than they should have a stargate on the board. The whole ship is protected by shields. They have a Sodan transport coloumn on the board too line in Quest 2, which is Ancient technology too. So, they send a malp or a smaller scout device through the wormhole, and if it is in the space, than the whole ships goes there too by the ninth chevron. The old stargate will stay in space, but the ship (the new base) will appear around the new gate. Maybe the new asgard-tauri-ancient base have no engines so they can travel only this way. After the arriving they should discover the planets by jumpers or by foot, if the stargate is on the planet. This idea can work for a stand alone episode (Atlantis season 4? ), but I think it isn't enough for a series, because it won't be so intresting when they had to leave the planet quickly, there are less space gate in MW and the whole travelling would be similar to the Quest 2 etc.

Janus time machine: I think he can travel only to the future, because if he travel back, than he create an AU future too, so he can't travel back to his time. This is the reason why had to die everybody in SG universe, who made time travels.
                "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

jazz! : I had an idea. If they really want to make a ship-based series, than they should have a stargate on the board. The whole ship is protected by shields. They have a Sodan transport coloumn on the board too line in Quest 2, which is Ancient technology too. So, they send a malp or a smaller scout device through the wormhole, and if it is in the space, than the whole ships goes there too by the ninth chevron. The old stargate will stay in space, but the ship (the new base) will appear around the new gate. Maybe the new asgard-tauri-ancient base have no engines so they can travel only this way. After the arriving they should discover the planets by jumpers or by foot, if the stargate is on the planet. This idea can work for a stand alone episode (Atlantis season 4? ), but I think it isn't enough for a series, because it won't be so intresting when they had to leave the planet quickly, there are less space gate in MW and the whole travelling would be similar to the Quest 2 etc.

Janus time machine: I think he can travel only to the future, because if he travel back, than he create an AU future too, so he can't travel back to his time. This is the reason why had to die everybody in SG universe, who made time travels.
                  What about in before i sleep when they travel back in time and janus's time machine in the sg-1 franchise (if it was janus's) can take them back in time and to the future. we can prove he traveled to the future cause in the past there were details of what were to come meaning he went to the future and came back making the stone thing disrupting the past making the one guy king and getting rid of ares. When Janus did it he knew what he was doing and didn't really have any dire consequences for us, had some consequences for the goa'uld though.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by suprmn4105 View Post
                    Hey everyone,

I haven't posted on this forum before, but I have been reading just about everything posted.

Has anyone considered that maybe the 9th Chevron has something to do with operation of the Stargate itself. It could have been used by the Ancients to run diagnostics or test on the Stargate. For example, the 7 Chevrons dial intra galactic, 8 Chevrons dials inter galactic, perhaps a 9 Chevron dialing sequence does not actually create a wormhole somewhere but performs certain functions, perhaps even a self destruct.

Or fundamentally maybe the Ancients had no immediate use for the 9th Chevron at all. The technology of the Stargate may require a certain symmetry in order to function, for example, in the SG-1 Episode "Ascension", when Orlin built his little moc gate in Sam's basement it only had 7 "Chevrons", (if you want to call them that), and it burnt itself out after only one use. So maybe the 8th and 9th Chevron play a vital role in the functionality of the Stargate.
                    His burnt out cause he didn't need it to last he knew he only needed one use and i dont think a microwave was the best building material for a stargate mabe he should of used a waffle iron like sam suggested in the forth horseman.
                    sigpic

Comment

There's already a sticky thread for this topic.
                      Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering-Yoda
                      The more bizzare a thing, the less mysterious it proves to be-Sherlock Holmes
                      I reject your reality and substitute my own-Adam Savage
                      A person is smart. People are stupid, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it-Agent Kay
                      That is the exploration that awaits you�not mapping stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence-Q
                      Church: I learned a very valuable lesson in my travels, Tucker. No matter how bad things might seem...
                      Caboose: They could be worse?
                      Church: Nope, no matter how bad they seem, they can't be any better, and they can't be any worse, because that's the way things f***ing are, and you better get used to it Nancy. Quit-yer-b****ing.

If you smoke, you choke. If you choke, you're dead. 'Nuff said.

Comment

I don't think you could just have the ninth chevron magically move everything around a gate and reproduce it on the other side. That doesn't make much sense with the whole wormhole concept. The ninth cheveron could be something that warps space time allowing for things bigger than the ring to fit through it. But, then why do the Orii need a supergate? Personally, I think the ninth chevron will be something dealing with time travel or alt. universes. It makes the most sesnse that additional chevrons gives a different coordinate in space-time. In 3D space you only need 6 points. For 3D space plus time, you need 8 points. Then again, the 8th chevron's use doesn't make much sense in this logic, so I'm not sure what TPTB will do.

Also, does anyone know if the 8th chevron is different from the point of origin? Technically, I think it makes more sense for the point of orgin to always be last and the additional coordinates to come before. I guess my question is: when they dial to the Asgard galaxy or Pegasus galaxy, is the Point of Origin still the last symbol dialed?

Comment

Originally posted by Atlantean Engineer View Post
                          I don't think you could just have the ninth chevron magically move everything around a gate and reproduce it on the other side. That doesn't make much sense with the whole wormhole concept. The ninth cheveron could be something that warps space time allowing for things bigger than the ring to fit through it. But, then why do the Orii need a supergate? Personally, I think the ninth chevron will be something dealing with time travel or alt. universes. It makes the most sesnse that additional chevrons gives a different coordinate in space-time. In 3D space you only need 6 points. For 3D space plus time, you need 8 points. Then again, the 8th chevron's use doesn't make much sense in this logic, so I'm not sure what TPTB will do.

Also, does anyone know if the 8th chevron is different from the point of origin? Technically, I think it makes more sense for the point of orgin to always be last and the additional coordinates to come before. I guess my question is: when they dial to the Asgard galaxy or Pegasus galaxy, is the Point of Origin still the last symbol dialed?

9th chevron can't deal with time travel, if that would be the case they wouldn't have died during the plague in the frst place...
                          remember Ancient's were experementing with time travel on a planet that was looping time

And yes Point of origin from earth is always the same no matter what adress u dial and is is last.

Comment

Originally posted by rhade View Post
                            I have been thinking about the 9th chevron. We know that the Ancients were from another galaxy that was very far away and that they had developed the stargates before they came to the milky way because the priors who come from the ori galaxy came through the gates to the milky way and that the Ori and the Ancients are decedents of the same species. We also know that the the Ori and Anicents were divided due to different believes. If the stargates were developed fairly early when the the Ancients and Ori were still one race then why has the 9th chevron not been used before. The chevrons serve a purpose you would think that the ancients would of been using the stargates to their full potential but with the focus on Ascension it seems that the stargates become less important as their species evolved. Also look at the power requirements needed for an 8th chevron look. You need a ZPM or some other power source. Also I know that only the Atlantis stargate has the dialing crystal to dial other galaxies but it seems that the original stargate has the dialing crystal built in since the earth gates could both dial other galaxies there is no reason to believe that other stargates in the milky way can't. The only thing preventing it would be a power source. So I am interested to see how the 9th chevron fits in and how it was used by the ancients or why it wasn't used or maybe it is connected to something else completely. I would really like it if they introduce another group or race or explored some of the races that we have not seen in awhile like the NOX. I know that we can dial another galaxy but maybe the 9th chevron allows us to dial other galactic groups. If the ancients traveled to the milky way over several generations it stands to reason that different groups may of have split off and seeded stargates on their way. Or it could be that several groups left at the same time to different galaxies and they built stargates along the way so they could stay in contact with each other. Also it would mean that there could be more branches of the species than just the Ancients and the Ori.
                            Actually, the reason why the earth gate was able to dial to another galaxy, dispite not having the extra 'dialing crystal' is probably because of the massive amount of machine code that col. oneill wrote while he was under the influence of ancient knowledge. Its been states that the AF eventually created there 'DHD' by analyzing and understanding what each function does. I beleive in 48 hours McKay states how many functions the stargate has, and how many carters program (the dialing program) takes into account.

I mean, all that extra dialing crystal is is information for the stargate/dhd so that it can understand what the extra chevron does, and any data/calculations it needs to move the traveler to another galaxy, universe, time, etc whatever the case may be. Its just another set of instructions for the computer.

Comment

It is very simple what is the 9th chevron for.
                              Stargate ''Universe'' is the name of the 3rd serie. So it travels into another Universe. Somewhere even the Ori does not know about.

Comment

Originally posted by Halzman View Post
                                Actually, the reason why the earth gate was able to dial to another galaxy, dispite not having the extra 'dialing crystal' is probably because of the massive amount of machine code that col. oneill wrote while he was under the influence of ancient knowledge. Its been states that the AF eventually created there 'DHD' by analyzing and understanding what each function does. I beleive in 48 hours McKay states how many functions the stargate has, and how many carters program (the dialing program) takes into account.

I mean, all that extra dialing crystal is is information for the stargate/dhd so that it can understand what the extra chevron does, and any data/calculations it needs to move the traveler to another galaxy, universe, time, etc whatever the case may be. Its just another set of instructions for the computer.
                                Or it oculd be something simple, like the SGC has it's own DHD so it's not got the standard gate crystal, so with enough power it can connect anywhere without the missing crystal being a problem.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X