Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll throw my theory into the couldron then.

Actually i have 2..

So, basically, i think that the ancients spread out like a bottle of ilk being smashed on the floor.

They arrived in the MW galaxy and set up shop, then they made multiple Atlantis or unknown design, cities, and went different ways.

We saw in "The Quest," how the ancients blocked certain stargates from the main circuits as it were, well what if the 9th chevron is like a locator.

You have to use the number pre programmed to a certain expedition, and are taken to either its main base/city or the closest stargate in the network to said city.

Theory 2;

Leading off from what i said up above, the Ancients were renowned for their abilities to make redundant systems to carry out their plans.

One thing that has always troubled me, in Pegasus there are a fair few Ancient warships hanging around, buried of just fogotten.

Why are their none in MW?

I think its because the Ancients, or an Ancient general, saw the threat that the Ori, or the Wraith would one -day present if they made it to the MW.

I think that there is an Ancient version of Midway somewhere out there, but vast and bigger, a proper city in space and a full fleet of ships.

Perhaps as a contingency, or perhaps as a ready made advanced war fleet ready to help whatever is left of their race, fight and/or survive.

CH40
    So this is how the Stargate franchise was killed, not by guns or ships or knives.

But by;
    “There’s obviously a passionate audience for Atlantis and the characters of Atlantis. And yes, they’re absolutely going to continue in the movie franchise. But people need to mourn for a while and come to terms with it. I don’t anticipate that that will subside quickly. But once Universe is on air and they have kind of their next fix of the Stargate franchise, I think hopefully people will realize that it’s in safe hands at Sci Fi...

Comment

I gotta go with it adds the possibility to dial another galaxy cluster.

Seriously, we have seen no trace of the ancients on earth except for the stargate(s) and the ancient outpost.
      The Atlantis cityship holds what, a few thousand people?
      We've seen the Asurans cityship when it flew off it left a vast city on the ground where their population remained, and we havent found any buildings at all around the area where Atlantis were supposed to have been located which leads me to believe they had more cityships on earth at the time of the plague and i'm guessing survivors of those cities all took off in different directions to make the chance of survival greater (in case the Ori decided to chase after them they would stand a bigger chance if they werent all in the same place in case they came after them with another plague).
      This would mean there could be Ancients in any number of galaxies.

If Atlantis was the ancients only city on earth they cant have been a race of more than a few thousand people (or did they live in caves?) which seem kind of far fetched for such an advanced race (yes i know their warships could hold many people but i doubt they actually lived on those forever)
      Daniel to Thor: Wait, you're actually saying you need someone dumber then you are?
      Jack: You may have come to the right place.

Comment

see this? lokale groep=local group. thats us. see nr 28 and 30? thats where SGU may take place. from here to virgo cluster is 60M lightyears. so from LG to 28 or 30 would be about 10M lightyears. the distance is measured from the edge of a cluster to the edge of annother cluster. otherwise virgo would be very very close.

see this? this is the local group. in the midlle melkweg means milky way. you see andromeda. with some guessing, pegasus is either nr 14 or nr 28.

btw red circles are big galaxys. others are sattelite galaxys. pegasus is an irregular dwarf. blue dots are irregualr dwarfs. something strange: why would the ancients first go to the milkyway, and later flee to the edge of the cluster? was the plague that bad? or was the plague spread by a gate virus dialing gates, and that being to close would mean the virus would find their gates and they would be back to square one? with a deadalus class, capable of traveling 3 million lightyears far in just 4 weeks, you could easily visit any other galaxy. pegasus is one of the galaxys the furtherst away.
        i have reason to believe 14 and 28 are ida and pegasus.

if the asgard can go to pegasus in 4 days without zpm, they could go there in minutes with one. imagine an ancient vessel wth a zpm. cluster nr 28 and 30 of my first pic would be weeks away. if the ancients had to flee from an enemy as powerfull as the ori, with ships matching theirs, then i think i know the home cluster of the ori: virgo. 60 million lightyears. 60. deadalus does 3 in 4 weeks. 4 days with zpm. that would be times 20 would be 80 days. thats amazing. in 1/3 of a year. the center of the local cluster. i would say ferrying people and resources back and forth would be inefficient. getting warships from there to here would be inefficient. ori have powerfull hyperdrives, yet i doubt they can go fast enough. without supergate the ori vessels, including build time, wouldve been here by first half season 10. if they made a whole fleet, they wouldve been here by end season 10. so thats a bit late. by then we couldve prepared ourselves for them.go to m33 or andromeda. all humans beamed up in a buffer. evacuating a galaxy with asgard beaming devices and buffers isnt much of a problem. use the asgard fleet , upgrade the hatak's hyperdrive, and use the jaffa and tokra fleet. use the hebridan fleet. no problem at all.

Comment

MW stargates have 39 symbols. Pegasus stargates have 36.

Therefore logically MW gates can dial more gates than the pegasus ones.

So I believe that the ninth is used a "spare", incase the the other 7/8 can't dial the gate because all the other combinations have been used up.

ETA (nicked from my SGU post)

Therefore, a large galaxy with alot of symbols on may only have 8 chevrons on their gate, as they have so many symbols they don't need the "spare". Ori home galaxy anyone? We haven't seen their stargates yet... they may well have 8 chevrons (like the Asuran weapon in First Strike). And of course if the stargates only have 8 chevrons this will have to be addressed in the show, thus we'll find out what it does like RCC said.

My other theory is that it is used to make it look symmetrical
          Last edited by Jedi_Master_Bra'tac; 03 January 2008, 07:35 AM.
          Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

Originally posted by Jedi_Master_Bra'tac View Post
            MW stargates have 39 symbols. Pegasus stargates have 36.

Therefore logically MW gates can dial more gates than the pegasus ones.

So I believe that the ninth is used a "spare", incase the the other 7/8 can't dial the gate because all the other combinations have been used up.

ETA (nicked from my SGU post)

Therefore, a large galaxy with alot of symbols on may only have 8 chevrons on their gate, as they have so many symbols they don't need the "spare". Ori home galaxy anyone? We haven't seen their stargates yet... they may well have 8 chevrons (like the Asuran weapon in First Strike). And of course if the stargates only have 8 chevrons this will have to be addressed in the show, thus we'll find out what it does like RCC said.

My other theory is that it is used to make it look symmetrical
            But only eight chevrons would make it more symmetical than nine, why add it??? is it to do with some ancient version of the golden ratio or something??
            Nothing is permanent in this wicked world. Not even our troubles.

Spoiler:
            Originally posted by ebethman
            Look to the last page to find one of those strange little posts that no one sees at the end of a page. They are a strange creature. Denied attention from other posts they banned together. By day they are simple, unassuming posts. By night, they solve crime. One of them is called frank. He likes marbles. He has twelve of them. Each has it's own unique binary code which is related to several characteristics. Size. Colour. Public speaking ability....
            Originally posted by Bray
            *Bray wins*

Sorry RM....Game OVER!

And eBeth....you're weird

Comment

Originally posted by ebethman View Post
              But only eight chevrons would make it more symmetical than nine, why add it??? is it to do with some ancient version of the golden ratio or something??
              Well I don't know what the golden ratio is... but if it had eight and was perfectly symmetrical (ie the 8th at the bottom), you would not be able to distinguish between the top and the bottom of the gate (not that you ever really need to).

So the ninth's there to make it look symmetrical and to stop you walking out of a gate upside down.

Comment

lol i saw that happen in my imagination when i read it, it is really funny as they fall

Comment

Well I don't know what the golden ratio is... but if it had eight and was perfectly symmetrical (ie the 8th at the bottom), you would not be able to distinguish between the top and the bottom of the gate (not that you ever really need to).

So the ninth's there to make it look symmetrical and to stop you walking out of a gate upside down.
                  I doubt it, what about space gates and stargates that are horizontal. When going through space gates they dont always go through with the right way up.
                  Best quotes ever:
                  O’NEILL: I hope you like Guinness, Sir. I find it a refreshing substitute for food.
                  Jack O'neill: I hope you diplomatically told him where to shove it.
                  Teal'c:If you once again try to harm me or one of my companions, my patience with you will expire.
                  Carter: You know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water.
                  Thor:I like the yellow ones
                  O´Neill:Hey, if you had been listening, you´d know that Nintendos pass through everything.

Comment

Looking at the space gates they don't appear to have a top http://www.stargatecaps.com/sga/s1/1...l/102x511.html
                    Best quotes ever:
                    O’NEILL: I hope you like Guinness, Sir. I find it a refreshing substitute for food.
                    Teal'c:If you once again try to harm me or one of my companions, my patience with you will expire.
                    Carter: You know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water.
                    O´Neill:Hey, if you had been listening, you´d know that Nintendos pass through everything.

Comment

Well...

a) It doesn't matter which way you come out of a space gate because all motion is relative so there no up or down

b) It does matter which way you go in but there is a top. Look closely, they're 9 chevrons all together, 4 pairs are mirrored, and then there is one unmirrored one (the ninth), this ninth unmirrored one indicates which is the top.

Comment

Well...

a) It doesn't matter which way you come out of a space gate because all motion is relative so there no up or down

b) It does matter which way you go in but there is a top. Look closely, they're 9 chevrons all together, 4 pairs are mirrored, and then there is one unmirrored one (the ninth), this ninth unmirrored one indicates which is the top.
                        Each chevron can be the ninth, if you look each one you look at is at the top of a triangle. If you know what I mean, I'll draw a diagram
                        Best quotes ever:

Comment

Look at http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/g...t=102x5111.jpg
                          and
                          http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/g...t=102x5112.jpg
                          You'll see that both of them are the 9th chevron depending on how you look at it, the space gates seem to have all the same chevrons where on the MW gates they have 1 at the top that looks different.
                          Best quotes ever:

Comment

Hmmm.... very good point... I suppose the ground gates are already the right way up... and puddle jumpers/darts have computers that know which way it's supposed to go. Also I suppose the right way up has something to do with power nodes.

Comment

Inflationary theory sais that a period of fast expansion (think velocities far exceeding the speed of light) followed the big bang which led to the creation of many "bubbles" of spacetime, that would basically remain isolated forever as they're all expanding at an ever-increasing rate.

In that case, our universe would be one of those bubbles, so the 9'th chevron could be used to [you guys take it from here]
                              sigpic
                              Don't forget to vote up if you like my ideas. (me <-- attention whore )

Comment

Originally posted by xSFx View Post
                                Inflationary theory sais that a period of fast expansion (think velocities far exceeding the speed of light) followed the big bang which led to the creation of many "bubbles" of spacetime, that would basically remain isolated forever as they're all expanding at an ever-increasing rate.

In that case, our universe would be one of those bubbles, so the 9'th chevron could be used to [you guys take it from here]
                                Thats quite good, I like it. The problem is if they're completely isolated how would you go between them using the stargate?
                                Best quotes ever:

Comment

Working...
                                X