Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

its possible that a bunch of symbols in a gate address represent one thing.

For example, in a phone number, the first 3 numbers are an area code, like (416). Each of those 3 separate numbers may not signify anything. The 4 doesn't mean anything. Its just that 416 is the number assigned to a city.

Just like that maybe you can add up to 2 symbols in the beginning of a 7-chevron address for intergalactic travel. After all there is a VERY LARGE number of galaxies out there. Maybe just 1 chevron is not enough for all of them.

Maybe the Ida and Pegasus galaxies are so close that you only need 1 chevron... like an area code of 01 and 02. Maybe a FULL gate address is 9-chevrons long.

Thats a very boring explanation tho. Maybe the 9th chevron is something cool, like SUPERFAST connection. Or if you turn the 9th chevron on, you destroy the other gate

Comment

Originally posted by Almighty_Wookie View Post
      My theory:

There are galaxy clusters, our local one has Milky Way (Obviously), Pegasus, Ida (In Stargate), Andromeda, and so on. As the Eight will dial to another galaxy, maybe nine is just that extra boost to get to other galaxies outside of our local group? There are billions of galaxies out there so Eight chevrons will run out of combinations after a while.

Who knows if it even has a function? The Ancients were around for millions of years, maybe even they didn't come up with the concept of the Gate network, just built their own version of it and there are different 'versions' dotted around the universe.

Hopefully one day we'll find out.
      I suppose I'll jump on the bandwagon, seeing as how I'm using a ninth chevron in a piece of fan fiction and all...

I agree with the idea that the ninth chevron has to do with distance, probably as a sort of "plus modifier" for an eight-symbol address. My own thought is that this can't be achieved without outside help, something unique about the gate doing the dialing- or possibly even something that modifies the wormhole itself.

My own idea (in my fanfic piece) involves the Lagrange points available inside a globular cluster and how a specially-modified wormhole- using a ninth symbol- interacts with those.

I'd like to see the Stargate franchise injected with a little more "hard" science fiction, I guess
      Can ye tell me why th' pirate jokes are so funny?

Because they Arrrrrrr.

Comment

i know that there are 9 sheverons but in one episode (not sure which) proberly when o'neil went to see the asgaurd but the gate dialed the usual 7 shervons and then went back and used the first one as the 8thbut if it has 9 why re use the first one?
        SG-1 you are and will always be the best!

DUDES WHO ENDED SG-1 ->

Comment

Originally posted by aaron54 View Post
          i know that there are 9 sheverons but in one episode (not sure which) proberly when o'neil went to see the asgaurd but the gate dialed the usual 7 shervons and then went back and used the first one as the 8thbut if it has 9 why re use the first one?
          episode name was fifth race

i seriusly dont belive that the 9th chevron is for intergalaxy dialing becouse of the shir distacne the anciants will have to pass in order to put there gate after all they are the gate builders

my theory is diffrent we know that evry addres is the name of the planet in ancient so maybe the 9th is used like the "and" meaning dialing multiple sargates.

Comment

It doesn't do anything... it was designed solely to confuse humans.

Comment

...for not thinking things through before they wrote certain episodes.

Best salvage answer is that the 9th chevron is used to dial a different region of the universe, maybe one that doesn't have any stargates in it yet because they ancients didn't extend the network that far before the whole plague thing then they ascended to super-snobs.

I have a personal beef with the Stargate writing staff for writing what they think are interesting episodes without any regard for continuity. They cheat to make things fit, and as the series has played out its got them into trouble which necessitated them cheating even more.

Example. Dialing a different galaxy takes a lot of power that without a zpm the tauri can't generate. Then the writers want to dial in from pegasus to block the Ori supergate. So they stick a normal gate near a black hole and say the black hole powers the gate....How? In theory a black hole sucks in all electromagnetic radiation that could be used as a powersource.
              Gravity then? If that were true every gate on or near a planet would slowly recharge itself without a DHD.
              The writers think...ooohhh, black hole, big, powerful...that will do...
              It's short sighted stupidity like that that has been diminishing the believability of the series and letting down the fans.
              Stargate: ROTA wiki

Comment

You are mistkem my frien the wormhole doesn't power up the gate because of the wormhole effect arround it self it sucks in time so the gate can be open for more then 38 minuts because reltevly no time has passed near the gate

Comment

No.

Comment

Maybe the ninth chevron allows for 2 way travel! It would just take up a lot more power from each gate!

Comment

Originally posted by BIG-FAN View Post
                      You are mistkem my frien the wormhole doesn't power up the gate because of the wormhole effect arround it self it sucks in time so the gate can be open for more then 38 minuts because reltevly no time has passed near the gate
                      Not wormhole, black hole. And they did say that the black hole "powers" the gates, both the Ori supergate and the regular gate in the pegasus galaxy that was dialed into the supergate to block it. Note, that the regular gate didn't have a dhd to power it at all and that the supergates required so much more energy because they're bigger and make the intergalactic trip. The "relativity effect" has no bearing on power consumption, only the glitch that allows normal stargates to stay open longer than 38 minutes.

The writers screwed up...
                      Stargate: ROTA wiki

Comment

What is it???? The 9th Chevron I mean

Comment

My theory is, that the 9th Chevron is used to install (transport) a second (target) gate to the designated coordinates. This way the ancients wouldn't have had to travel by ship to all the worlds that have stargates. They would calculate the coordinates, put the second gate in close proximity to the gate being dialed and by doing so allow the ninth chevron to be locked. The eight chevron is presumably needed to provide the power to transport the second gate to the desired location. Once the target gate arrives (in orbit), it could be moved to the ground if required, depending on the conditions and resources found at the destination. Presumable some of this may have been done by the Goa'uld as they found and moved gates to habitable worlds.

Comment

Hey everyone,

I haven't posted on this forum before, but I have been reading just about everything posted.

Has anyone considered that maybe the 9th Chevron has something to do with operation of the Stargate itself. It could have been used by the Ancients to run diagnostics or test on the Stargate. For example, the 7 Chevrons dial intra galactic, 8 Chevrons dials inter galactic, perhaps a 9 Chevron dialing sequence does not actually create a wormhole somewhere but performs certain functions, perhaps even a self destruct.

Or fundamentally maybe the Ancients had no immediate use for the 9th Chevron at all. The technology of the Stargate may require a certain symmetry in order to function, for example, in the SG-1 Episode "Ascension", when Orlin built his little moc gate in Sam's basement it only had 7 "Chevrons", (if you want to call them that), and it burnt itself out after only one use. So maybe the 8th and 9th Chevron play a vital role in the functionality of the Stargate.
                            McKay: "We need the Zed-Pee-Em to power the gate."
                            O'Neill: "Huh?"
                            Daniel: "Zee-Pee-Em. He's Canadian."

Comment

Looks like we'll be able to find out in about a year's time.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                                Looks like we'll be able to find out in about a year's time.
                                http://www.gateworld.net/news/2007/0...nth_chev.shtml

yup
                                https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Working...
                                X