This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kralizec
    No, they just have no idea what it does, and they're waiting for something sweet to come up on these boards so they can use it in the show.
    At least we get what we want. I was thinking it could be to dial a gate in another universe, but I think that's impossible.
    Originally posted by Rainbow Sun Francks
    Live within the moment. There is only now, ENJOY.

Proud F.O.R.D. Member My LiveJournal Rainbow/Aiden Ford Thunk Thread

Comment

Originally posted by newtrekker
      At least we get what we want.
      Very, very true ::devlish laugh::
      -Kralizec

"The only truth is that the knowledge of the universe is infinite."

Comment

i created a thread about this long ago heres the linkhttp://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...hlight=chevron

Comment

I think virtually everyone has created / posted in a thread about the function of the 9th chevron - its one of the biggest and most popular topics in the SG universe (along with who are the furlings). Browse the forum long enough and you can probably a hundred different theories ... I know i've posted at least two (rubbish) ones!
          I'm not Weird, I'm Gifted!

Comment

The 9th Chevron is there to make us ask stupid questions like, "what is the 9th Chevron for?"
            It is probably the self-destruct. Dial the 9th, and everything goes BOOM.

Btw, nice SG smiley's!
            All posts are IMO, I am not a rocket scientist.

Bender: "Lets go get drunk!"
            Pay it forward

Comment

The ninth Chevron, in my VS, Stargate Atlas, is a gate selector. If there are multiple gates then you would select the corisponding symbol. But thats not it, erm..... Yeah Im gonna go with the Pizza Hut Idea.
              Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
              - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

That is the beauty of science fiction, we can pick our brains until they fall out trying to figure out where in the heavens that 9th Chevron goes to....has anyone wondered if it takes you to another place where they use 10 Chevrons? Maybe it is the proverbial rat-in-a-maze. You have to dial 9 to get out!

Pay it forward

Comment

Spoiler:
                  I figure if we're going to find out about the 9th chevron anytime soon, it will almost certainly be in Ripple Effect since that probably deals heavily with the gate. That's assuming that the 9th chevron has something to do with parallel universes at least, but I haven't seen any other episodes that might even come close to touching on the subject.

Comment

If they go that route it could go on forever.

Pay it forward

Comment

IMO, the alternate universe theory for chevron 9 is not likely. If you think about it, assume there is an infinite number of parallel universes out there. Then in theory, there will always be someone somewhere dialing in to your gate. The gate would be constantly open. Its kinda like the same arguments scientists use against time travel. That if it is invented sometime in the future, no matter how far into the future, then we should be constantly bombarded with "space tourists".

The time travel theory is also unlikely, as the ancients built the gate before the machine on P4X-639. So how could the gate use time travel if they hadn't perfected it yet?

The most likely, if rather boring, conclusion is that the ninth chevron simply adds yet another distance calculation.
                      Last edited by walterIsTheMan; 20 October 2005, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Logically that would make more sense to calculate out a whole other range for a possible galactic cluster, but then you would have to come up with a program that compensates for galactic drift since space is constantly expanding. That is if they ever decide to use the 9th Chevron to begin with.

Pay it forward

Comment

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=8025

I still think that the ninth chevron is just a backup chevron. If Walter breaks something, all he has to do is rotate the 'gate 40 degrees and no one will ever know...
                          JACKSON: ...I mean isn't that why we're doing this, all of this? The Stargate program, the budget? Isn't it so we can go and meet new races, gather advanced technology and possibly learn about ourselves in the process?
                          VALA: Oh, come on! you do it to meet women.
                          MITCHELL: She has a point, sir.
                          LANDRY
                          : I've been thinking I need to get out on an offworld mission or two.
                          Get FireFox! Browse with Tabs!
                          Stargate Omega, Now a vBulletin!
                          Mmm... Green...

Comment

Now that is horizontal thinking....LOL!

Pay it forward

Comment

Well I think the self destruct theory is out - Ancients wern't nasty people.

Alternate universe - interesting theory...

Perhaps it's a direct portal to the higher plane of existence?

Perhaps it's for dialling moving targets (EG space ships, atlantis, transporter rings etc).

Perhaps it's a switch to change gate modes. IE We use Mode 1, (6 diallers, 1 POG, 1 distance calc). Maybe there is a mode 2? - IE to dial another gate so people can COME FROM that gate.

Maybe it's a stargate storage connection - IE like connecting to Idrive/xdrive.com and storing things there. Maybe it was used as an infinate storage device. Walk in put things down and walk out. Walk back in, find it walk back out..

More to come...

-Turboz

Green to Captain Jake

Comment

Oh yeah, 1 more idea, maybe it's to cross shows - IE jump from Stargate SG1 into Stargate Atlantis lol

-Turboz

Green to Captain Jake

Comment

Working...
                                X